• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Community Thread: Successfully synthesized a Barrel!

ohlawd

you can listen to me

go buy Rorona, Totori and Meruru, all from Arland. Escha is fine but if you're gonna play that you may as well pick up the other two. only if you have time though. you're still potentially playing 6 long ass games :p

What would you all recommend as the best introduction to the series that's available on Vita? I tried the PSP version of Mana Khemia (on Vita) but it looked and ran like ass so I'm going to wait until I can get the PS2 version before I play it.

I've been looking at Rorona+ and Ayesha+ now. From what I've seen (and heard) all of the non-gameplay aspects of the latter (story, setting, soundtrack) interest me more, but it seems like from what I've read here it has some problems with its gameplay, and the Dusk trilogy is generally regarded as inferior to Arland overall. What say you, GAF?
I recommend Rorona Plus and the Arland trilogy as it's more solid overall. If Shallie was better then the trilogies would be closer together.

preta

you can listen to me

go buy Rorona, Totori and Meruru, all from Arland. Escha is fine but if you're gonna play that you may as well pick up the other two. only if you have time though. you're still potentially playing 6 long ass games :p
I was talking about Ayesha, not Escha. Also, would it be hard to go from Rorona+ to Totori/Meruru+? I'm aware that Rorona+ is the only one to actually be remade.

I was talking about Ayesha, not Escha. Also, would it be hard to go from Rorona+ to Totori/Meruru+? I'm aware that Rorona+ is the only one to actually be remade.
It wouldn't be hard as Rorona+ was made to be more like the other Arland games than Original Rorona was.

ohlawd

I know you said Ayesha. jeezus. but Escha's the only great game from Dusk, Ayesha is bad and Shallie is okay. that's what I'm saying.

people are dumb. it's damn easy to go from Rorona Plus to Totori Plus.

preta

It wouldn't be hard as Rorona+ was made to be more like the other Arland games than Original Rorona was.

I'm still torn. What exactly are the main gameplay differences between Rorona+ and Ayesha, and why is it that Ayesha is seemingly not well liked here? I'm only going to have time to play one for now.

Eusis

Geez, people are all over the place in regards to the Dusk games, aren't they?

I do like the vibe they have, but I'm a fan of Dying Earth settings and that's one of the closer examples you'd get in a JRPG.

I do like the vibe they have, but I'm a fan of Dying Earth settings and that's one of the closer examples you'd get in a JRPG.

They ruined the structure of the games after Ayesha. Escha in particular was ruined by a structure that added a ton of filler time you had to burn through before you could get back to playing the game for real again.

Stuart444

Pretty much, some dislike them all, some prefer the ones after Ayesha, some prefer Ayesha, some like all of them, etc.

It is pretty divisive series of games.

I loved all of them though I do miss the portraits when characters are talking but still loved them.

I'm still torn. What exactly are the main gameplay differences between Rorona+ and Ayesha, and why is it that Ayesha is seemingly not well liked here? I'm only going to have time to play one for now.
In terms of gameplay and everything else, I think Ayesha is good, it's just very similar to Totori and so if I recommend a trilogy then it comes down to the other games.

In Rorona and Rorona Plus, there isn't much of an adventure across large distances, as you've got the main town and then some surrounding areas that are groups of areas. It spans over three years in-game time, as a series of 12 challenges of 3 months each.

In Totori, Meruru and Ayesha, you can trek far from home and it can take a month of in-game time to travel across the map. Although they are forgiving for wasting time, they are also less guided.

Escha & Logy returns to be a bit more guided again, as is Shallie which lacks the same type of time limits.

If I would rank the games, they would be something like the following. I bolded the Arland games and italicised the Dusk games:
Meruru
Rorona Plus
Escha & Logy
Ayesha
Totori
Shallie

But of course a lot of people would rank them differently.

Eusis

I question if there's really even a significant gap between any of the post Rorona titles.

Definitely skip the original Rorona though. Just go for Plus.

I think the issue with ranking the Dusk games is that, well, they're actually very different. For example, Escha&Logy was far more structured, based around a loose mission system, whereas Ayesha was more fluid. Ayesha has a greater sense of adventure and exploration, whereas E&L benefits from being focused entirely around a single town. I like the combat systems in both, to be honest, but they're quite different in their style and execution.

I never actually finished Shallie on PS3, so I can't say much about it. I just picked up Shallie Plus, so I'll play through that and judge it.

rulerk1

After listening to SSH's arranged albums for years I finally got around to playing this series. I'm playing Escha and Logy now and I like but have some questions.

How do I equip the bombs that have delayed detonation and how do I give other members items

After listening to SSH's arranged albums for years I finally got around to playing this series. I'm playing Escha and Logy now and I like but have some questions.

How do I equip the bombs that have delayed detonation and how do I give other members items

In Escha and Logy only alchemists can use items if I remember correctly. Also, you don't equip most items to use them. Place them in your bag so you can use them when you go into battle. Pretty much everything you synthesize will be a used this way.

rulerk1

In Escha and Logy only alchemists can use items if I remember correctly. Also, you don't equip most items to use them. Place them in your bag so you can use them when you go into battle. Pretty much everything you synthesize will be a used this way.

wow thanks. It was right there in front of me the entire time lol

Atelier Firis is out in Japan and it's not selling too hot:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1310853

03./00. [PS4] Atelier Firis: The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2016.11.02} (¥6.800) - 27.372 / NEW
05./00. [PSV] Atelier Firis: The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2016.11.02} (¥5.800) - 16.153 / NEW
02./00. [PS4] Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.11.19} (¥7.344) - 30.759 / NEW
03./00. [PSV] Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.11.19} (¥6.264) - 25.805 / NEW
13./00. [PS3] Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.11.19} (¥7.344) - 11.542 / NEW
03./00. [PS3] Atelier Shallie: Alchemist of the Dusk Sea # <RPG> (Gust) {2014.07.17} (¥7.344) - 43.744 / NEW
04./00. [PSV] Atelier Shallie Plus: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2016.03.03} (¥5.800) - 19.693 / NEW

Don't think Azure will impress either. They're gonna have to score with their new IP, Blue Reflection, as I think people are fatigued with Atelier right now, despite how much more open and bigger the world is in the latest game.

Also of note to me...

composer Hayato Asano DID NOT work on Atelier Firis!!!! I imported the OST and I feel scammed! lol (the other composers aren't bad, but this guy is a stand out and just consistantly nails it for me)

I hope he's doing the whole OST for Blue Reflection to make up for this. :p The trailer song does sound like his style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah7-2SydFrw

ohlawd

damn, pretty shit FW sales for the last couple entries

--

lol haven't been in an MC thread in so long

the hell? PS4 leading sales in the year. Vita over half 3DS' YTD?

???

Japan still confirmed a shit country

Top Bottom