• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Community Thread: Successfully synthesized a Barrel!

Arthea

I was never so disappointed by so many lists in my life! how could you!

here is how it goes for reals

Mana Khemia
Mana Khemia 2
Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana
Atelier Iris 2
Atelier Meruru
Atelier Shallie
Atelier Rorona
Atelier Iris 3
Atelier Totori
Atelier Escha & Logy
Atelier Annie

very big power gap

Atelier Ayesha

My initial impression of Ayesha was the lowest of any of them but it grew on me when I continued it a year later.

I only played the PS3 games (and some Totori Plus) but want to play the earlier ones and Mana Khemia.

Arthea

boring story, boring characters, boring gameplay

even if you can dislike a story and characters because tastes and all that stuff, gameplay is great and not boring at all. Not sure what reasons are that you dislike it so much, but it is a great game. And I can't say I ever have seen someone being so negative about it, really odd.

Palom

I liked Iris 1, though it did feel a bit dated. I really liked the humor in the game; the Engrish-speaking bear in the hidden village had me in tears from laughter. Some of the background animations were really endearing. I loved stopping in Veola's shop and watching her munch on food behind the counter. And the music! Man, what a fantastic soundtrack. One thing I really hated was that there's no way for any character but Klein to revive someone. If he died, you were screwed. The final boss fight was horse shit because it had an instant-kill attack; if it targeted Klein and you couldn't swap him out in time, may as well just reset.

Iris 2 was my favorite of that trilogy. It felt a lot closer to modern games in the series, and the battle system was so much fun trying to juggle enemies in the break zone to get high combo chains. The game wasn't that long, but the "twist" made it feel like you completed the game and are now going through the sequel. I liked that.

I'll be playing through both Mana Khemia games as soon as I'm finished with Tales of Zestiria. I still haven't played through the Arland games, either, but I picked up the Plus versions of all three when they were on sale and I'll get to them eventually. I did play the intro of Mana Khemia 2 just to try it out real quick, and I must say that I am not a fan of Laura Bailey's fake southern drawl. I hope it's not too grating throughout the game.

Arthea

I liked Iris 1, though it did feel a bit dated. I really liked the humor in the game; the Engrish-speaking bear in the hidden village had me in tears from laughter. Some of the background animations were really endearing. I loved stopping in Veola's shop and watching her munch on food behind the counter. And the music! Man, what a fantastic soundtrack. One thing I really hated was that there's no way for any character but Klein to revive someone. If he died, you were screwed. The final boss fight was horse shit because it had an instant-kill attack; if it targeted Klein and you couldn't swap him out in time, may as well just reset.

Iris 2 was my favorite of that trilogy. It felt a lot closer to modern games in the series, and the battle system was so much fun trying to juggle enemies in the break zone to get high combo chains. The game wasn't that long, but the "twist" made it feel like you completed the game and are now going through the sequel. I liked that.

I'll be playing through both Mana Khemia games as soon as I'm finished with Tales of Zestiria. I still haven't played through the Arland games, either, but I picked up the Plus versions of all three when they were on sale and I'll get to them eventually. I did play the intro of Mana Khemia 2 just to try it out real quick, and I must say that I am not a fan of Laura Bailey's fake southern drawl. I hope it's not too grating throughout the game.

IDK, I replayed Eternal Mana not long ago, it doesn't feel dated to me.

You are in for such a treat, with Mana Khemia! Mana Khemia is one of GOATs in my book. I wish Gust remastered (remade) it, as it had its share of technical problems. OTOH maybe that's not the best idea, you can't improve on perfection!

This is a series that always seemed interesting but I've never tried.

Looking at the games, the Arland trilogy seems to be the best choice.

I love my physical copies though, so would I be doing myself a huge disservice getting the PS3 copies over the digital Vita Plus versions? Especially if I start with Rorona.

Yeah that's true. But then the other Plus games are digital only on Vita :p

I'd want to get the whole trilogy in one place, physical vanilla copies on PS3, or digital Plus copies on Vita.

Stuart444

Yeah that's true. But then the other Plus games are digital only on Vita :p

I'd want to get the whole trilogy in one place, physical vanilla copies on PS3, or digital Plus copies on Vita.

If you must do that, then do so but I'd say if you don't mind not having them all in one place, doing Rorona Plus -> Totori vanilla -> Meruru vanilla isn't that bad an idea.

But if you must have them all in one place, then might as well go for the Vita versions.

I just don't recommend Rorona vanilla though.

Falk

that puzzling face
No, I'm telling you you don't want non-plus Rorona. Go with Rorona Plus, Totori and Meruru on PS3 if you have to.

edit: If it helps any, the "plus" in Rorona Plus is really a misnomer and misleading because it has a lot more than the typical Plus rerelease, which generally are just all-dlc-bundled-in GOTY-but-not-GOTY versions. Rorona Plus has a lot of additional stuff and cuts out a lot of jank.

IIRC, Totori Plus isn't a very good version of Totori. with longer loading times and a worse frame rate. I hear Meruru Plus is a better port than Totori Plus though.

Rorona Plus is so much better than the original release. Playing the original version over the remake just because the other PS3 games don't have Plus in their names would be a mistake.

This is a series that always seemed interesting but I've never tried.

Looking at the games, the Arland trilogy seems to be the best choice.

I love my physical copies though, so would I be doing myself a huge disservice getting the PS3 copies over the digital Vita Plus versions? Especially if I start with Rorona.

You wouldn't be doing yourself a disservice at all. The PS3 versions run better than the Vita ones and the Vita additions for Meruru and Totori are pretty insignificant (Rorona Plus is content identical on both platforms).

Hmm alright, Rorona Plus, Totori, and Meruru on PS3 it is then!

Looking them up, Australian copies of Rorona Plus are pretty expensive, must have been that whole R18+ rating drama :p

Palom

I finished Mana Khemia last night (with Nikki's ending) just shy of 75 hours. It was... okay. It felt almost exactly like Iris 3, although the synthesis seemed a bit better; not to mention Flay reused Edge's sprite. Honestly, Mana Khemia felt more like a sequel to Iris 3 than Iris 3 did to Iris 2. And having played the Dusk games first, it was awkward hearing Keithgriff voice three different characters, as his older, gruff voice (and stiff acting) didn't fit the younger characters.

Few things I didn't like. The day/night cycle was awful. Enemies were way too powerful during night time for zero added reward. I just ended up standing around waiting for nighttime to end, which kind of sucked because I was streaming while I played. I had the same issue with platforming segments as I did in Iris 3. The lack of a shadow for the character sprite makes it excessively difficult to judge trajectory, and having to jump across one-tile platforms with the isometric perspective is an exercise in frustration. Also, the game screws you on money. I got straight As on class assignments and did every job board quest, and at the end of the game, I still had to spend about 4-5 hours grinding for money to buy materials. The amount enemies drop is pitiful. The post-game dungeon was pretty terrible, too. Enemies do 5x damage (which basically kills my characters in one or two attacks), and I can only damage them with critical hits. After spending about 20 minutes on one random encounter, and only killing two of three enemies, I said screw it.

Overall, it certainly wasn't a bad game by any means, but I didn't really get attached to any of the characters like I did in the Dusk or Iris games, and I don't particularly care to go through it again multiple times for different characters' ending. I'll be moving on to Mana Khemia 2 tonight with an Ulrika play-through.

Palom

I just finished Mana Khemia 2, and I have to say that it fixed every issue I had with the first game. It was absolutely fantastic. The characters were so much more personable and the story had a lot more humor to it. Battling enemies at night was not a big deal. I went through both Ulrika's and Raze's scenarios and got 5 different character endings, plus the true/graduation ending.

I found it pretty impressive how segregated the two characters' scenarios are. In Escha, both her and Logy had relatively the same story, but with a few minor different cut-scenes. In Schallie, both girls' stories convened about 1/3 of the way through. In Mana Khemia 2, I had almost zero knowledge of Raze's groups activities and motivations when I finished with Ulrika. It was great to play through Raze's scenario after to see things from that perspective.

Took me about 85 hours overall, but I really enjoyed it. All I've got left now is the Arland series, but I need an Atelier break for a bit before I come back to those. Also, how is Atelier Annie on the DS?

Arthea

The day/night cycle was awful? How could you post something like this?
I can't believe my eyes.

Mana Khemia is awesome, everything about it is awesome, just so you know.

Quixzlizx

I don't remember having to grind much in MK. Or maybe I just enjoyed the game so much it didn't feel like grinding. I did enjoy fishing/gathering/mining, so I don't think I had to buy many raw materials with money.

I didn't have problems in the end-game dungeon, either, except for those fuck you bosses.

Sakura

Kind of disappointing that they didn't have more costumes in the game from the get go. I've already finished it, not gonna go back just to put some more costumes on :/
I mean, they give you a whole "Dressing Room" for Sophie, yet there are only two outfits in the entire game.

Stuart444

So I'm trying to do the DLC boss in Shallie just now...

the AI is totally fucking stupid. Everyone but 3 of my party is dead. They have equipment that revives them a LOT (no alchemists alive so can't use items to heal either).

What does the boss do? Call out his friends, hit one or two of my party members then use energy concentration to heal (even though he is at full health). The dead members then auto-revive.

This keeps going and going and going until...

the game crashes.

Seriously. Totally fucking stupid. I was just waiting to die and he wouldn't let me die until the game crashes.

the AI is totally fucking stupid. Everyone but 3 of my party is dead. They have equipment that revives them a LOT (no alchemists alive so can't use items to heal either).

What does the boss do? Call out his friends, hit one or two of my party members then use energy concentration to heal (even though he is at full health). The dead members then auto-revive.

the game crashes.

Seriously. Totally fucking stupid. I was just waiting to die and he wouldn't let me die until the game crashes.

To be fair, this sounds legit awesome for at least five minutes or so before you reboot the game.

Stuart444

Stu, man, that boss is easy even on the highest difficulty. I wonder what you're doing wrong :p

50k hp on the easiest and I don't have Ultimate equips >.> also at level 87 now.

I do have pretty good equips (every weapon/armor/acc has Attack/Defense/Speed HUGE enhance lol and it legit works for most bosses, just not the DLC one)) that can take down most bosses on easy but not the DLC one. >.>.

(I did get him down to like 10k hp or something like that before he started healing several times in a row before my turn came up)

To be fair, this sounds legit awesome for at least five minutes or so before you reboot the game.

I did burst out laughing and wondering how long it would take to kill me.

Except of course the boss didn't kill me. The game decided to kill me :p.

edit: I won second time. Strategy was simple. Build up Ultimate gauge, go into fight, activate burst mode and use a Dragons Cup with Vitality of Dragon on the person who I was going to use their ultimate on (in this case Jurie) and then use Ultimate while in Burst.

Enemy rekt'd :D

edit 2: Stera route beaten with both endings. Next up, Lotte's with true end :D.

Great game though (though I wish we could have seen more Ayesha/Logy), the music is fantastic as well just like it has been throughout the dusk games.

Arthea

I've just recently got a PS3 and tempted to try one of these games, which one is the best to dip my toe in to?

You should play Rorona plus, it's good, also happens to be the first one so if you like it you have much more games to play.
To answer your question, I think that Meruru is the best one.

Falk

that puzzling face

the game crashes.

Stu, man, that boss is easy even on the highest difficulty. I wonder what you're doing wrong :p

To put it another way, it sounds like it's something so easy that even game testers beat it before they discovered the crash.

And you failed.

!!!

Li Kao

I'm in the last stretch of my Totori Plus playthrough and was wondering something.
Is the moment when I must bring a certain someone to a certain tower the last travel I must make by sea ? And can I play after beating the last boss to see the events that have yet to unfold ?

I'm stressed out, I wasted a whole travel before tuning the ship.

Arthea

why you so dead, Atelier community?

in the meanwhile Atelier Firis announced for PS4, PS Vita
Atelier-Firis-Ann-Init_001-600x424.jpg

It’s based in the same world as Atelier Sophie, but it’s in an area considerably distanced from Kilhen Bell, where Sophie lives.

more info here
http://gematsu.com/2016/05/atelier-firis-announced-ps4-ps-vita

Alanae

Does anyone know how Sophie runs on the Vita vs PS4?
Don't have the ps4 version but, the vita version has framedrops during cutscenes often and some framedrops during the more flashy attacks.
the battles also feel like they're a bit lower fps than the ps4 videos.
none of the above are to the point that they really bother me, but your mileage may vary I guess
Visuals still look amazingly good however.

Arthea

I hoped we'll get Atelier Sophie for PS3...
still don't have PS4 and don't know when if ever I will buy it, maybe after Firis releases.

Sandfox

Don't have the ps4 version but, the vita version has framedrops during cutscenes often and some framedrops during the more flashy attacks.
the battles also feel like they're a bit lower fps than the ps4 videos.
none of the above are to the point that they really bother me, but your mileage may vary I guess
Visuals still look amazingly good however.

Thanks. I'll probably go with the Vita version.

Eusis

I hoped we'll get Atelier Sophie for PS3...
still don't have PS4 and don't know when if ever I will buy it, maybe after Firis releases.
That whole Neo/4k thing does make it awkward. Really may be a better call to wait until that's out THEN get the system. :/

Arthea

That whole Neo/4k thing does make it awkward. Really may be a better call to wait until that's out THEN get the system. :/

yeah, it didn't make things any better, that's why I think not releasing Sophie for PS3 is a big mistake.
Instead of buying it now, I'll buy it at least year later if not more.

Just got really screwed over in Meruru Plus! The Wyvern decided to get into an infinite loop and wouldn't land so he just kept hitting me with his swooping attack but I couldn't target it to fight back. Kind of a bummer I guess but I would have killed it easily if that hadn't happened so trying again isn't a big deal.

I'm never gonna catch up with this series I think but slowly working my way through them.

ohlawd

woo hot damn. fastest turn around on a NISA order. got my Sophie LE

now it can sit there forever cuz I can't play it. I'll probably just buy a digital copy on sale in a year

preta

What would you all recommend as the best introduction to the series that's available on Vita? I tried the PSP version of Mana Khemia (on Vita) but it looked and ran like ass so I'm going to wait until I can get the PS2 version before I play it.

I've been looking at Rorona+ and Ayesha+ now. From what I've seen (and heard) all of the non-gameplay aspects of the latter (story, setting, soundtrack) interest me more, but it seems like from what I've read here it has some problems with its gameplay, and the Dusk trilogy is generally regarded as inferior to Arland overall. What say you, GAF?

Top Bottom