• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Community Thread: Successfully synthesized a Barrel!

Vylash

Sophie isn't part of Dusk so it's official that Dusk was mostly 3 years of wasted time, awful characters and an incomplete story

Ayesha was fucking worthless as a protag and did nothing, Wilbell never becomes a full fledged witch, we never learned what the hell happens with the Dusk and instead it's just "we'll fight it"

positives include great art and music, Regina, and the swimsuit event in Shallie

Arthea

Regina who?

I had to

I'm surprised Sophie is coming to PS3 too, tbh, or could it be that only PS4-Vita versions will be released in the west?

Vylash

ZsQxrvJl.jpg

Apparently Sophie's book is a wai- I mean a character too because why not

Sophie isn't part of Dusk so it's official that Dusk was mostly 3 years of wasted time, awful characters and an incomplete story

Ayesha was fucking worthless as a protag and did nothing, Wilbell never becomes a full fledged witch, we never learned what the hell happens with the Dusk and instead it's just "we'll fight it"

positives include great art and music, Regina, and the swimsuit event in Shallie

As a fan of the Dusk series I really wish they ended up adding a fourth game. My dream sequel would be something like Atelier Meruru's development system. Only instead of slowly making the Kingdom a better place, you use all the alchemy learned over the course of the series to regenerate the ecosystem. You can undertake projects to help fertilize lands, control monster populations and water redistribution, etc. Maybe an Atelier Nio where you sort of act as a project manager to all the other alchemists.

Rather than beating some load-bearing boss and instantly changing the world Ar Tonelico style I think something like that, where you see gradual progression, would work thematically well. It would also be a really great capstone to the series, since in every installment you make some small progress towards recovering the world.

repeater

Hey guys, I've never played an Atelier game and now the following ones are on sale on EU PSN for the Vita:

Atelier Ayesha Plus ~The Alchemist of Dusk~
Atelier Meruru Plus: The Apprentice of Arland
Atelier Rorona Plus with 3 DLCs
Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland
Atelier Totori Plus: The Adventurer of Arland

Which one would you recommend to someone who's never played a game in the series? What would be the best introduction?

Shizuka

Hey guys, I've never played an Atelier game and now the following ones are on sale on EU PSN for the Vita:

Atelier Ayesha Plus ~The Alchemist of Dusk~
Atelier Meruru Plus: The Apprentice of Arland
Atelier Rorona Plus with 3 DLCs
Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland
Atelier Totori Plus: The Adventurer of Arland

Which one would you recommend to someone who's never played a game in the series? What would be the best introduction?

Totori Plus is the best, but it's the second game of the Arland trilogy. I'd start with Rorona Plus or Ayesha Plus, if you'd rather start at the beginning, but if not, I'd go with Totori Plus.

repeater

Totori Plus is the best, but it's the second game of the Arland trilogy. I'd start with Rorona Plus or Ayesha Plus, if you'd rather start at the beginning, but if not, I'd go with Totori Plus.
Thanks. How connected are they, storywise? Would I be missing out on a lot if I went for Totori?
is all of them an option?
Haha, not really.. I don't even know if I'll enjoy the game, I just thought I'd dip my toes and see if I like it. :)

ohlawd

Thanks. How connected are they, storywise? Would I be missing out on a lot if I went for Totori?

Haha, not really.. I don't even know if I'll enjoy the game, I just thought I'd dip my toes and see if I like it. :)

in that case, buy the worst one which is Ayesha

if you like that one, there's no way you'll dislike the rest of those

Shizuka

Each game of the trilogy is a self-contained story, but they happen at a chronological order (Rorona, Totori, Meruru). Rorona will appear in Totori and both Totori and Rorona will appear in Meruru.

Arthea

Vylash

http://gematsu.com/2015/06/atelier-sophie-first-details-screenshots

Atelier Sophie info + screenshots, alchemy looks badass, also this is the synopsis

The sparse, but full-leaf trees rustle and the birds sing as the morning sun rises and the light illuminates the flowers on the street.

On the outskirts of a town with such a warm atmosphere, where the sunlight filters through the trees and a carpet of yin and yang is laid out, lives a girl alone.

She is a cheerful, yet somehow overlooked, ordinary girl who’s anywhere. But she has a special power the town’s people do not possess.

She possesses the mysterious power of “Alchemy,” which lets her synthesize materials to create something entirely different.

However, she continues to fail at the most crucial of mixing—as is the limits of a girl who learned from a book rather than from a teacher.

But one day, the girl encounters a strange book that can talk and possesses knowledge of alchemy, beginning a new story.

arland is back, we did it

Kudo

How is Atelier Shallie?
I've only played Rorona and Escha & Logy and liked both, is it better? And should I look into getting any of the Plus games from sale now, are they PSTV compatible? Totori seems to be getting lot of praise here.
Just confirming but the Plus versions are Dual Audio too right?

Arthea

How is Atelier Shallie?
I've only played Rorona and Escha & Logy and liked both, is it better? And should I look into getting any of the Plus games from sale now, are they PSTV compatible? Totori seems to be getting lot of praise here.
Just confirming but the Plus versions are Dual Audio too right?

I can't say about Vita compatibility or dual audio for plus versions, but Shallie is a nice game, you'll like it. Totori is good also, although IMO Meruru is the best, especially gameplay.

pariah164

Finally decided I'm gonna bite the bullet and start an Atelier game. Decided to go with Rorona+ because I think she's cute and that game is chronologically first.

Now just have to wait for the funds to pop into my account...

MDFLiQY.gif

Falk

that puzzling face
Escha's hat is simply Rorona's hat after a few rounds in a washing machine.

Or maybe it's the same hat but everyone in Dusk is about 6m tall

Who would know?

Sölf

Alright guys, I need help. I want to play one of the newer Atelier games. The only ones I've played so far are Iris 3 and Mana Khemia 1, but as far as I know those games/series actually play more like your typical JRPG and less like your typical Atelier game.

With that in mind, I wanted to play a "true" atelier game, but I don't know where to start and since I don't own a Vita I also can't play any of the remakes. Therefore, which of the 6 PS3 games woould be a good start?

Arthea

Sölf;173095796 said:
Alright guys, I need help. I want to play one of the newer Atelier games. The only ones I've played so far are Iris 3 and Mana Khemia 1, but as far as I know those games/series actually play more like your typical JRPG and less like your typical Atelier game.

With that in mind, I wanted to play a "true" atelier game, but I don't know where to start and since I don't own a Vita I also can't play any of the remakes. Therefore, which of the 6 PS3 games woould be a good start?

you can't get more true Atelier game as Mana Khemia and it is the best, Eternal Mana comes close, but MK is better.

If by true you mean time managing and limit thingies, Rorona plus is a good place to start. If you want the best one on PS3, it's Meruru in my opinion.

edited: keep in mind that Mana Khemia is still heaps better than any PS3 Atelier game.

Sölf;173095796 said:

There are two "sagas" on PS3, Arland(Rorona, Totori, Meruru) and Dusk(Ayesha, Escha, Shallie).

I'm going to recommend you the Arland series, start with Totori, then Meruru, and end with Rorona Plus.

Arthea

There are two "sagas" on PS3, Arland(Rorona, Totori, Meruru) and Dusk(Ayesha, Escha, Shallie).

I'm going to recommend you the Arland series, start with Totori, then Meruru, and end with Rorona Plus.

That makes no sense from character introduction point, you have to start with Rorona, I don't see any way around it.

Sölf

you can't get more true Atelier game as Mana Khemia and it is the best, Eternal Mana comes close, but MK is better.

If by true you mean time managing and limit thingies, Rorona plus is a good place to start. If you want the best one on PS3, it's Meruru in my opinion.

edited: keep in mind that Mana Khemia is still heaps better than any PS3 Atelier game.

Well, yeah, more of the managing. It's been ages since I've played Iris 3 and Mana Khemia, but if I remember correctly, in those games the whole alchemy aspect felt more like a sidequest which was nicely done and stuff, but nothing which seemed to be that important.

Then again, the one who told me that may just have told me total bogus. xD

Arthea

Sölf;173096525 said:
Well, yeah, more of the managing. It's been ages since I've played Iris 3 and Mana Khemia, but if I remember correctly, in those games the whole alchemy aspect felt more like a sidequest which was nicely done and stuff, but nothing which seemed to be that important.

Then again, the one who told me that may just have told me total bogus. xD

Mana Khemia is all around great, you are right about iris 3 tho.

I also think you should try at least Rorona, some people like time management aspect enough to forget about other shortcomings of PS3 Atelier games, and yes, Arland trilogy is better of two, I think we have some sort of consensus on this even.

I don't think it's that bad, I didn't like vanilla Rorona back when I played it, so I basically went Totori > Meruru > Rorona Plus and it was great.

Even if you didn't like it, you still got characters introduced in meaningful way starting from Rorona. And I don't think Rorona vanilla was bad, rather it was a bit harsh and ran extremely poorly, what plus rectified partly.

Stuart444

I can't say what I prefer between the two PS3 series.

But I'll say if you go for the Arland series, either start with Rorona+ or start with Vanilla Rorona and never go back to it after you play Totori/Rorona+/Meruru. Seriously, it's very hard to go back to once you play the other PS3 Ateliers.

I'm not saying Vanilla Rorona is bad but from a graphical stand point, it is hard to go back to it after Totori. (Rorona+ even has the updated style from Totori onwards)

But yeah, I guess I'd recommend starting with Rorona+.

I'd also recommend Ayesha (the start of the dusk trilogy), the music imo is much better then the Arland games (and I love the Arland music).

I just feel like I have to mention that whenever the dusk games are brought up >.> but yeah, start with Arland games, if you like them, feel free to try the dusk trilogy.

But I'll say if you go for the Arland series, either start with Rorona+ or start with Vanilla Rorona and never go back to it after you play Totori/Rorona+/Meruru. Seriously, it's very hard to go back to once you play the other PS3 Ateliers.

Don't play Vanilla Rorona first, don't play it at all really. There's no reason to choose it over Rorona+.

Stuart444

Don't play Vanilla Rorona first, don't play it at all really.

I thought about saying that but I figured I'd throw it in, if anyone plans on playing it at all, make it the first PS3 game. Otherwise, don't.

I enjoyed it when it came out, can't go back to it now though (and I've tried before Rorona plus came out)

Falk

that puzzling face
I've only had the Arland series crash all of once, on Totori+ Vita, right after a nailbiting boss. Was anticlimactic. I guess I'm lucky though - many others report a shit ton of crashes or lock-ups.

I've had Rorona Plus crash on me a few times, though only when loading a save. Happened after a few days of playing without turning the system off/closing the game. A bit disappointing, but thankfully I never lost progress due to it.

Top Bottom