• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Community Thread: Successfully synthesized a Barrel!

Arthea

I guess it isn't too surprising when the other games being compared to are all building on each other while Ayesha was somewhat of a reboot.

I personally am kinda ambivalent towards Ayesha. It had a lot of good ideas (synthesis skills!) and there were some outstanding pieces of music such as Recollection Hill, but the world concept kinda lent itself to homogenous, colorless environments and the skills and traits weren't powerful enough for me. Ayesha was still an enjoyable game for me, especially considering that I'm mentally comparing it to Meruru (the third Arland game vs. the first Dusk game) and Eschatology (the sequel).

But that's not it for me at all, when I compare with all Atelier games, I find I like earlier (Iris and Mana Khemia) ones much more than later ones, from later ones it would go something like this: Meruru>Totori>Rorona>Annie>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ayesha. It just feels a lot worse to me than any other game, locations are bland and boring, characters are no fun at all, even Sterk is somehow worse than in previous games and I liked him, plot is ... how do I put it, even worse than usual, dialogues are insufferable, and I had no such problem in other atelier games.
What I do like is alchemy, I liked alchemy skills, and if even alchemy system seems a bit convoluted, I still liked it a lot. That's why I can't say I hate this game, I just hope that new games will be better than this.

OceanBlue

Okay, Shari not Shirley. That's fine with me.

That makes more sense, but as the article says, you never know. It might be like Slayer with Atelier Eschatology lol.

But that's not it for me at all, when I compare with all Atelier games, I find I like earlier (Iris and Mana Khemia) ones much more than later ones, from later ones it would go something like this: Meruru>Totori>Rorona>Annie>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ayesha. It just feels a lot worse to me than any other game, locations are bland and boring, characters are no fun at all, even Sterk is somehow worse than in previous games and I liked him, plot is ... how do I put it, even worse than usual, dialogues are insufferable, and I had no such problem in other atelier games.
What I do like is alchemy, I liked alchemy skills, and if even alchemy system seems a bit convoluted, I still liked it a lot. That's why I can't say I hate this game, I just hope that new games will be better than this.
Yeah, I probably shouldn't have made assumptions on other people's reasons. My bad.

Well, I don't see Eschatology on your ranking so I'm not sure if you've played it yet, but maybe you'll enjoy it. I really enjoyed the alchemy in that game. Adding a lot more skills, making the traits a bit more broken (lol), and diversifying the way you could obtain items on the field really helped me enjoy the alchemy system more. The characters are a bit more goofy than in Ayesha as well. I haven't finished the game--for all I know it could take an awful nosedive in year 3 lol--but I think the additions polished the gameplay above Meruru, and I'm really hyped to see what the final game does with it.

Shari (the black-haired one) has the greatest dress in the world. I believe this to be an objective fact.

From the description, it sounds like the game might actually be about the Dusk itself, which I guess is building on the previous two and seems like an obvious conclusion.

Here's hoping for the reappearance of Keithgriff Hazeldine. (Also older Ayesha would be interesting).

OceanBlue

The gematsu article has been updated quite a bit.

Shari has the more interesting backstory of the two but I don't mind a comedic main character at all so I'm cool with Charlotte too :D. I have to keep my hype in check until more details are revealed, lol.

Arthea

That makes more sense, but as the article says, you never know. It might be like Slayer with Atelier Eschatology lol.

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have made assumptions on other people's reasons. My bad.

Well, I don't see Eschatology on your ranking so I'm not sure if you've played it yet, but maybe you'll enjoy it. I really enjoyed the alchemy in that game. Adding a lot more skills, making the traits a bit more broken (lol), and diversifying the way you could obtain items on the field really helped me enjoy the alchemy system more. The characters are a bit more goofy than in Ayesha as well. I haven't finished the game--for all I know it could take an awful nosedive in year 3 lol--but I think the additions polished the gameplay above Meruru, and I'm really hyped to see what the final game does with it.
you are right, I was reluctant to buy Eschatology after Ayesha, and now I started FFX and X-2 HD, so I'm not playing it any time soon, but I plan to buy it. Your description is encouraging, thanks!

Vylash

Double kawaii heroines confirmed!

jhrFKi6HtgdhO.jpg

Dice//

Banned
She almost looks like ...an anime hipster chick[?].

But I love how different it is. Both look cute and extremely varied from one another.

Not all that thrilled at how Charlotte's story is described as.

I guess it's a nice contrast to the decaying world but it seems to be pushing a little too hard back into the girls doing cute things direction.

Durante

I hope Ayesha+ comes to the West with dual audio so that I can actually play it :p

I'd probably rank the PS3 entries like this right now:
Totori > Escha > Meruru > Rorona

But I'm still far from finishing Escha. I played all the PS2 games as well, but it has been so long that I don't really remember their differences enough to rank them. One thing I do remember is that I disliked AI2 and enjoyed AI3 a lot, despite the latter not being particularly popular IIRC.

Jucksalbe

Banned
One thing I do remember is that I disliked AI2 and enjoyed AI3 a lot, despite the latter not being particularly popular IIRC.

From what I remember AI2 was incredibly short and the alchemy wasn't as deep as in the other games.
But my brain mostly just says "AI2 was the weakest of the Iris games", I'd probably have to replay it to find out exactly why.

Arthea

From what I remember AI2 was incredibly short and the alchemy wasn't as deep as in the other games.
But my brain mostly just says "AI2 was the weakest of the Iris games", I'd probably have to replay it to find out exactly why.

AI2 was pretty nice, it had 2 protagonists, female and male and took part in two worlds simultaneously. It wasn't as good as Eternal mana, nor as deep, but I liked it a lot. From older games, I think AI3 was most simple and short, like really short and it still was a good game, not as good as AI and AI2 though. And no game can beat Mana Khemia, that's probably not even remotely possible (><)

Jucksalbe

Banned
From older games, I think AI3 was most simple and short, like really short and it still was a good game, not as good as AI and AI2 though. And no game can beat Mana Khemia, that's probably not even remotely possible (><)

Hmm...my save games say 36 hours for AI1, 25 hours for AI2 and 44 hours for AI3. So at least for me AI3 was actually the longest of the three. All beaten by my 58 hours for Mana Khemia, though.

Arthea

Hmm...my save games say 36 hours for AI1, 25 hours for AI2 and 44 hours for AI3. So at least for me AI3 was actually the longest of the three. All beaten by my 58 hours for Mana Khemia, though.

I might be wrong on this, don't have saves anymore, but I was sure AI3 lasted me only 15 hours, if not less. Strange... And Eternal Mana was ~25-30 hours, while the Azoth of Destiny about ~25 hours. Then again, maybe I remember it wrongly.
Mana Khemia was ~45 hours my first time, I've played it 2 times more, don't remember times though. Mana Khemia 2 I can't say I remember too, but as you play two times for 2 protagonists, it has to be longest one.

Arthea

Also a question: It is recomended to play the Atelier Iris games in order?

order doesn't really matter, they don't have that much in common as Arland series for example.
Take your time with Eternal mana though (first Atelier Iris game), as it is great, I replayed it couple of years ago, still great, don't skip it!

Rarutos

I'd say it's better to play them in order overall because each game improves on the next. It might be jarring to go back to older mechanics. But if that doesn't bother you then it doesn't matter.

Wait, who? Sterk isn't in Ayesha, it's a completely different universe. Did you mean Keith, maybe? Or Juris?

Arthea

Wait, who? Sterk isn't in Ayesha, it's a completely different universe. Did you mean Keith, maybe? Or Juris?

Ya, I kinda had my suspicions that I might be forgetting something. That shows what exactly was Ayesha for me, except of Keith, Ayesha and her sister, I don't remember any character from that game. And I've played it not so long ago (><)
Not even joking :(

Sure, they get better with each one and the systems get more complex which is how usually Gust games go as they move through a series.

I did find Iris 1's weapon tempering system to sound like a complete mess. Though I did play it many years ago, so maybe the me then just thought it was too complicated, lol.

Arthea

Sure, they get better with each one and the systems get more complex which is how usually Gust games go as they move through a series.

I did find Iris 1's weapon tempering system to sound like a complete mess. Though I did play it many years ago, so maybe the me then just thought it was too complicated, lol.

that's exactly it, of Iris series, the first game is most complicated and has more depth than other two. So saying that it improves with every game is not really true. Also is true, that all Atlelier Iris games are very different.
It's not a mess, it just really complicated. (><)

that's exactly it, of Iris series, the first game is most complicated and has more depth than other two. So saying that it improves with every game is not really true. Also is true, that all Atlelier Iris games are very different.
It's not a mess, it just really complicated. (><)

I guess saying it gets better is wrong. More like I enjoyed each one much more than the one before it in the series.

I only say it was a mess cause all I remember about it was being a mess. I think I pretty much went from most of the game without even touching the weapon tempering system until probably the last dungeon or something where the enemies suddenly started ramping up and becoming a lot stronger.

So I looked up how to temper (cause the game didn't really explain it) and I was pretty overwhelmed. I'm sure if I went back it wouldn't be so bad.

Christhor

So first screens of A16 are up here. Some people are panicking, thinking that time management might be gone in this one. In the one image which looks to be gameplay it just says "Head towards mainstreet", but there is no date shown.

I'm not impressed. So far.

OceanBlue

So first screens of A16 are up here. Some people are panicking, thinking that time management might be gone in this one. In the one image which looks to be gameplay it just says "Head towards mainstreet", but there is no date shown.

Lol, it's a bit early to panic, isn't it? I'm wary about using early screenshots to try and guess what is and isn't in the game when there are only a couple of screenshots.

I'm really excited. I really like island and tropical forest locales because I like the brightness and the color schemes. The pale blues in the town and the bright blues and greens in the fountain screenshot are great. :D

Doing away with the time mechanic would be… very strange. I'm not sure how I'd feel about it. Its part of what adds challenge to the game (pretty much the only thing).

Screens look good, though. But I still want to see a logo so that we actually know what the game is called =P

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

Hm, well I hope it's just because early screenshots. Will have to wait for more info.

Rarutos

Looks like A16 is officially Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea

Girls are named Shallistera and Shallotte Elminus. I'd post scans but, yeah.

You might want to remove that, Vylash.

Looks like A16 is officially Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea

Girls are named Shallistera and Shallotte Elminus. I'd post scans but, yeah.

You might want to remove that, Vylash.

Shallie you jesI can't do this anymore, WHAT. Who comes up with these names, anyway?

So no word on Roro+ for the west? :(

Wouldn't expect that kind of info from a Japanese announcement. At this point, though, I don't see why Tecmo Koei wouldn't put it out here eventually.

Gust hasn't exactly been known for good English! Considering there's a character whose name they romanized as My Sextans in Atelier Elie.

I guess we should be glad we're not getting another Esty Dee.

I'm always glad I'm not getting another Esty Dee.

sorry not sorry

Flarin

I usually don't get hyped for these games. I just buy them when they come out and get addicted for a week or so. But I'm getting strangely hyped for this one. Ocean/ beach setting and dual kawaii protags. I'm so hype right now.

Top Bottom