• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ATI 58XX Preview - Media Stuff goes in here.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Dance In My Blood said:
Work on hitting the mass market with cheaper cards that are equivalent to the current high end.

Which sounds like the Juniper stuff posted in here just now.

I'm not condemning them in any way for putting out product though, for the record. Just putting out there, "who really needs this?"
I remember reading most money is made in the $80-$130 market or around there, might of been $100-$150 or so.

They know this and when card prices sink over time the new high end cards will be the mainstream cards. The 8800GT used to be $230, but now you can get 9800GT's for $120, GTX 260's for $130 AR, etc.

So I play the waiting game still!
spazzfish said:
Watch this. Bit of waffle at the beginning, but i'm sure it's what your talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L2IUlUbJGE
I think they just put glass over the TV for that. Linking up multiple LCD's together is something else, especially considering you'd have to calibrate all of them to look similar.

careful

The bezel borders completely ruin it for me. It's like that big ass NDS gap. I can't pretend it's not there. They really need to come out with more elegant hardware for this to work.

jett said:
Am I crazy or does CE3 on PC look pretty much like CE2?
That's because CE3 is basically a lateral movement from CE2, though there are some really nice improvements to the already insane lighting engine without a performance hit.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Call of Pripyat and BattleForge will support DX11 too.

First S.T.A.L.K.E.R. looked incredible on high end graphics cards.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Minsc said:
People who have lots of disposable money, and like to game at 60fps with AA and at 1080p. There's more than just Crysis that won't run at high resolutions with AA on cards out now.
I know there's ARMA, and a few games that can only be described as unoptimized like GTA4 and Age of Conan, but what else is there really? I'm mostly just curious because I don't have a top end graphics card right now, but I don't see much or hear about much that would really push an above average gaming rig.

As it stands the majority of games end up on the incredibly well optimized Unreal Engine 3, or the aging Source engine. Even the stuff that falls outside of those engines doesn't seem like it pushes hardware to an extreme point. But maybe there's just stuff I'm not aware of.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Dance In My Blood said:
I know there's ARMA, and a few games that can only be described as unoptimized like GTA4 and Age of Conan, but what else is there really? I'm mostly just curious because I don't have a top end graphics card right now, but I don't see much or hear about much that would really push an above average gaming rig.

As it stands the majority of games end up on the incredibly well optimized Unreal Engine 3, or the aging Source engine. Even the stuff that falls outside of those engines doesn't seem like it pushes hardware to an extreme point. But maybe there's just stuff I'm not aware of.
Dude, there is no "need" for any of this shit. The higuer you go, you start observing diminishing returns. Howevers, if you want it, you will get it. I know for sure I am jumping after benches of this and Nvidia's are released.

Hopefully the 5870 doesn't cost more than $400 since that is all I will get for my GTX295.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Dance In My Blood said:

How are we supposed to get improvement if we don't make the hardware for it to run on?
Lazy devs, etc.

I certainly don't want to stay on UE3 games forever, get CE3 up, get the new iD tech up, and so on.

Sciz

Dance In My Blood said:
But maybe there's just stuff I'm not aware of.
If you believe what id has been saying, DOOM 4 will happily make use of high end PC hardware. Still over a year out, though, at the least.

zero2000

Banned
I currently have a 4870, and I still have yet to see a reason to upgrade. I never really need the BEST hardware, just enough to play 98% of the games at max at my monitors full resolution (1920x1200). However, these 5870 prices are quite good. Since I won't be getting it right away, I might as well get one when they drop $100 dollars just to save a little bit of cash.

Durante

Dance In My Blood said:
I know there's ARMA, and a few games that can only be described as unoptimized like GTA4 and Age of Conan, but what else is there really?
If we're talking about 1920*1200 with good AA, the vast majority of console ports still fail to reach a stable 60 fps on current GPUs. Remember that this is around 4 times the image quality and (more than) twice the framerate of the console versions -- and it's what I would like to play every game at.

Minsc

Gold Member
Dance In My Blood said:

From here, it shows (on a 4890):

Crysis Warhead: 12-19fps
Farcry 2: 30-44fps
FEAR 2: 39-82fps
STALKER: 19-30fps
Prince of Persia: 23-42fps
Fallout 3: 45-66fps
Mass Effect: 13-20fps
Tom Clancy's HAWX: 27fps
Red Alert 3: 22-29fps
World in Conflict: 19-35fps

And some others:
Dawn of War 2: 13-45fps
Battleforge: 42fps
Riddick: Dark Athena: 42fps

Chris R

Shogmaster said:
Plus oversized AC system and ear plugs...
With some clever use of mirrors you could keep the projectors in a different cooled room or something :lol

Can't wait to get one of these in my next computer build :D My 4870 plays everything now perfectly so I have no reason to upgrade :lol

mr stroke

anyone know when these will be available in stores?(newegg)

it doesn't seem like ATI put out a solid launch date unless I missed something?

artist

Banned
mr stroke said:
anyone know when these will be available in stores?(newegg)

it doesn't seem like ATI put out a solid launch date unless I missed something?
Technically all the good stuff (excluding Eyefinity) is still under NDA.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
marsomega said:
Ruby
390724908678e61f8b91b.jpg

Ruby Demo Video
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/video/pcw/docs/315/056/html/17.flv.html
LOL Ruby looks MILFy.

jett

D-Member
DSN2K said:
im not shocked she looks that good for a demo, killer will be how shes animated.

I'm not sure if that's really a CG model, they showed some tech last year where they could change the lighting on live-action footage.

If that picture is pure CG then I'm blown away.

jett said:
I'm not sure if that's really a CG model, they showed some tech last year where they could change the lighting on live-action footage.

That's all rendered real time.

But yeah, animation is going to make or break it at that level. I'm pretty sure it won't animate as good as it looks.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
irfan. Did you created Irfanview?

And thread, MOAR POWER!@

Since I don't game a lot if ever on my PC, a 4870X2 is good enough for now until the next tech showcase game comes along and the top GPU at the time is out. And after averaging about 3 atikmdag errors a day, It's Nvidia for me on the next go.

ATI are killing it right now. Look at Ruby O_O

I think I'll upgrade the noisy old 8800GT when they inevitably release the 5890 next year. If the prices stay about the same I'll be able to get one for $239AU (which is what the 4890 is going for now).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Amazing. My 4870 1GB feels so lacking right now. I will probably get a 5870 1GB or even the 2GB unit at launch if the rumored prices are accurate.

artist

Banned
mr stroke said:
is there any time frame, Later this month? or Oct/Nov?
NDA expires on 22nd (US) & 23 (EU), availability is rumored to be in Oct. I have a feeling that we might get 5850s first, just a gut feeling. Could be wrong.

X2 is expected to be launched in second half of October with availability coming later.
Kadey said:
irfan. Did you created Irfanview?

And thread, MOAR POWER!@

Since I don't game a lot if ever on my PC, a 4870X2 is good enough for now until the next tech showcase game comes along and the top GPU at the time is out. And after averaging about 3 atikmdag errors a day, It's Nvidia for me on the next go.
Haha, no.
I wish

jett said:

I think the geometry and textures were scanned from a real person, but that image is being rendered in real-time from the scanned data.

It sounds like that kind of quality is still completely unrealistic for games (there's way too much data, and it would be hard/impossible to animate), but it's still an impressive glimpse of the future.

Sleeker

careful said:
The bezel borders completely ruin it for me. It's like that big ass NDS gap. I can't pretend it's not there. They really need to come out with more elegant hardware for this to work.

mr_nothin

Banned
godhandiscen said:
No. And I am not going to try to see that.
I cant find a good picture of it :/

It's hard to explain. It's like a dumb blank stare that he does.
It's something like this but with more 'blankness':
Jack-Black-goes-Anti-Troll-jack-black-626615_200_200.jpg

But not as exaggerated. It just reminded me of jack black as soon as I saw it.

390724908678e61f8b91b.jpg

artist

Banned
Radeon Mobility 5000 Series

• Broadway XT DDR5 -> HD5870, 256-bit, GDDR5, 45W-60W
  • Broadway Pro -> HD5850, 256-bit, GDDR5, 30W-40W
  • Broadway LP -> HD5830, 128-bit, (G)DDR3, 29W

• Madison Pro DDR5 -> HD5750, GDDR5, 20-30W
  • Madison XT DDR3 -> HD5730, (G)DDR3, 20-25W
  • Madison LP/Pro -> HD5650, 128-bit, (G)DDR3, 15-20W

• Park XT -> HD5470, 12-15W
  • Park Pro -> HD5450, 10-12W
  • Park LP -> HD5430, <8W

Like I said earlier, this is the motherload of all launches in history.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So the 5890 has 6 ports then? Makes sense. Also could be the price increase.
Anyone think the 5870 will clock almost as good as the 5890? :D

Druz

Probably asked but when is this all coming out? The most important thing is left out of the main post. If its not coming out for a while I care 100xless

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Druz said:
Probably asked but when is this all coming out? The most important thing is left out of the main post. If its not coming out for a while I care 100xless
Soon :D

Probably in a few weeks if not sooner.

nib95

Banned
$400 is too much. ATI returning to overpriced antics. Are they getting out of the loop again in complacency? I mean....this Eye Finity stuff is more directed at people with more money than sense. I mean....9 screens....really? 3 I can just about understand...

The reason ATI have done well this last gen of cards is because of price to performance ratio's. Now they're back to increasing prices again.

The 5870 should be launching at $299. $350 max. $399 is pushing it.

Druz

It's high end tech, what price did you expect really? ATI had to shrink the prices to compete... right now they're the ones calling the shots and perhaps won't lose money on these upcoming cards.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
markot said:
Its too big >_<

And <400 means itll probably be 399 at launch >.>!

When will Nvidia show their DX11 card?
It's hardly big, smaller than the nVidia line up right now I think.

As for nVidia they are scheduled for it in a few months I believe, but you never know what they will come up with. I wouldn't be surprised if they just shoved a ton of power onto a single chip without regard for anything and try to sell it. :lol

Shambles

It sure sounds like people don't understand what they are getting value-wise for the price it's at. Do people really expect to get a card that performs roughly twice as fast as the 4890 for a 50% increase in price? This is still great pricing given the performance we are hearing about. Like cars, top end video cards tend to go up in price exponentially, not linearly. Twice the price for twice the performance on launch day is great news. If you don't like it wait a year like people did for the 4870 and see that price fall down.

Mrbob said:
I don't really care about the multi monitor support, but what makes me happy is seeing ATI pushing these cards for extremely high resolutions. I want to build a HTPC sometime next year for my 1080P plasma, and running almost all games in 1080P at high frame rates seems to be a reality sooner rather than later with these new cards.

has been a reality for quite some time.

vazel

Banned
I've been playing games released this year at 1080p fine on my 4850. I'm sure I'll be okay until next gen consoles come out since most big pc games are console ports.

nib95 said:
$400 is too much. ATI returning to overpriced antics. Are they getting out of the loop again in complacency? I mean....this Eye Finity stuff is more directed at people with more money than sense. I mean....9 screens....really? 3 I can just about understand...

The reason ATI have done well this last gen of cards is because of price to performance ratio's. Now they're back to increasing prices again.

The 5870 should be launching at $299. $350 max. $399 is pushing it.
I'm fairly sure the launch prices are inflated on ATI's part since they know they can't make anywhere near enough cards. Give them a couple months to actually manufacture boards and there will probably be a $50 drop along the whole 58xx line.

nib95

Banned
Druz said:
It's high end tech, what price did you expect really? ATI had to shrink the prices to compete... right now they're the ones calling the shots and perhaps won't lose money on these upcoming cards.

Not really. Well, high end if you consider enthusiast level to be 5870X2 (which is only coming a few weeks later). But then I doubt the 5890 will be long after.

If the 5870 does launch at $399. I kind of hope Nvidia bust out with a card that is not only much better performance wise (as unlikely as that sounds at the moment) but cheaper too, and steals a huge segment of the market back from ATI. I honestly can't stand it when companies get complaisant like this.

I had my hopes up that this would be a 9700 Pro style affair. Not only ultra affordable, but seriously class leading. Seems like this new release will only tick the later box. Even then, not by a whole lot given the price differences.

Shambles

Just so everyone is aware the 5870 is 400$ but the 5870X2 will be 600$ not 800$. I expect the price of the single GPU to drop to 300$ fairly quickly after nvidia releases their part but the X2 to remain fairly stable.

Top Bottom