• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ATI 58XX Preview - Media Stuff goes in here.

marsomega

There are some really poor reviews around(as in the review is poor not the card.) I highly suggest the Hardocp review. It is a very good review with in depth game testing and data.

Hardocp Review!
http://hardocp.com/article/2009/09/22/amds_ati_radeon_hd_5870_video_card_review/2

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20090914PD203.html

Digitimes said:
AMD is preparing to launch ATI Radeon HD 5700 series (Juniper XT/LE) GPUs – the Radeon HD 5770 and 5750 – in October of 2009 and 5870 X2 (R800) in November after the launch of ATI Radeon HD 5850 and 5870 GPUs on September 22, according to sources at graphics card makers.

Driver version 8.66 (Catalyst 9.10) or above is required to support ATI Eyefinity technology and to enable a third display you require one panel with a DisplayPort connector.
ATI Eyefinity technology works with games that support non-standard aspect ratios which is required for panning across three displays.

From the AMD EyeFinity page. Pretty much confirming we're getting the cards before October.

Making a new thread for all media concerning ATI's new GPU rather then have it get lost in the other long thread. Added more videos!

Hardocp

Anandtech

HotHardware

LegitReviews

PCPerspective

ATI Forums

Slide
54997328.jpg

Screen Shots
CryEngine3
88874096.jpg

Dirt 2
09091020016e17ddadb78b1.jpg

0909102001783182068cc8e.jpg

0909102001a08495ebd4e1e.jpg

Tesselation

(Wire Frame)No Tesselation
13552200.jpg

(Wire Frame)High Tesselation
18442262.jpg

Full image w/ High Tesselation
94988077.jpg

Youtube Videos

CryEngine3 (!!!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04dMyeMKHp4

Dirt 2 - DirectX 11 in Action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teE5wqT2DNU

Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. @ 5760x2400
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzGtxlaPQqY

X-Plane Beta on 24 Screens.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6Vf8R_gOec&feature=related

Random EyeFinity Demonstrations
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkwVw-azZ0M&feature=related

Ruby
390724908678e61f8b91b.jpg

Ruby Demo Video
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/video/pcw/docs/315/056/html/17.flv.html

Shambles

I've been following this and I thought that the soft-launch was on the 9th. However what I"m still waiting for and what I'm really interested in is real-life benchmarks. The eye-infinity looks awesome and is about time that GPU's offer good multi-monitor support. I don't see myself going for 6 monitors but 3 is definitely a possibility in the future.

Mrbob

I don't really care about the multi monitor support, but what makes me happy is seeing ATI pushing these cards for extremely high resolutions. I want to build a HTPC sometime next year for my 1080P plasma, and running almost all games in 1080P at high frame rates seems to be a reality sooner rather than later with these new cards.

pestul

I hope this turns out to be the new 9700pro for AMD/ATI. I'm sure it will perform well with existing titles, I want to see how it will perform with DX11 and how futureproof it is.

Azure J

As a complete tech nub, the slides showing what tesselation was all about using images of the wire frames was fucking mindblowing. Technology is progressing along at a fuck awesome and crazy fast pace.

Mrbob

So I'm reading the anandtech article and a render of an eyefinity display that samsung may offer is posted in the article:

eyefinity2.jpg

I'm not building my own panels, but if something like this was available down the road I may be interested. At first I thought I might rather just have one large display, but if those panels are slightly angled it could add some depth to gaming. It would probably still annoy me to have all 6 individual panels since they have their own siding....I want a completely clean look with no obstruction. Maybe samsung could split it into 3?

Mrbob said:
So I'm reading the anandtech article and a render of an eyefinity display that samsung may offer is posted in the article:

eyefinity2.jpg

I'm not building my own panels, but if something like this was available down the road I may be interested. At first I thought I might rather just have one large display, but if those panels are slightly angled it could add some depth to gaming. It would probably still annoy me to have all 6 individual panels since they have their own siding....I want a completely clean look with no obstruction. Maybe samsung could split it into 3?

Watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teE5wqT2DNU

Enjoy your mind being blown and start saving for 3 full HD projectors!! :lol

mr_nothin said:
:O
YES.

What are the details? Benchmarks yet?

Well the thing is running games like HAWX at 24x the resolution of 720p with max settings and still pulling in a great framerate! :D Its safe to say its packing some power under its hood. Early reports are pegging Crysis performance as much as much as 50-60% better than a GTX 295. Nothing concrete but its definitely fast.

Xdrive05

Am I the only one who thinks EyeFinity is just a bullet-point gimmick? Even if I had the spare cash to buy 6 monitors (or hell, even 3), I don't really see the point.

It just seems far too niche to really matter in an already niche market IMO.

marsomega

Xdrive05 said:
Am I the only one who thinks EyeFinity is just a bullet-point gimmick? Even if I had the spare cash to buy 6 monitors (or hell, even 3), I don't really see the point.

I think you fail to see the point we're seeing.

This isn't a game where an image at say 1080P is stretched out to multiple monitors. The picture of the CryEngine3 in action is the engine being run at 5760x2400 resolution with 3 monitors showing a portion of the screen. Now think to yourself, "what type of power is required to render a next gen engine at such a high resolution?"

86vtx said:

O.M.G.

artist

Banned
Xdrive05 said:

Its as much a gimmick as SLI/CrossFire setups. I'm not talking Crossfire-on-a-stick boards, but dual card SLI setups. The word you are looking for is niche.

Xdrive05 said:

What? There are lot of people who have dual LCD setup. Its not as much niche as you trying to make it out. 22" 1080p screens are what? $150-160?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Xdrive05 said:

Not as niche as you might think. Multi monitor setups are becoming increasingly common in the business world. Sometimes two is not enough. This idea won't seem so outrageous when decent 19" LCDs drop below the $50 mark. You can also get 6 CRTs for about $30 at the local Goodwill but they're a little unwieldy (and power hungry).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mrbob said:
I don't really care about the multi monitor support, but what makes me happy is seeing ATI pushing these cards for extremely high resolutions. I want to build a HTPC sometime next year for my 1080P plasma, and running almost all games in 1080P at high frame rates seems to be a reality sooner rather than later with these new cards.
This is already the reality of PC gaming. I run all of my PC games at 1080p with AF and AA without any problems. Only Crysis still requires a lower resolution for really smooth performance. 60 fps 1080p PC gaming has been completely real for a while now.

Xdrive05

marsomega said:
I think you fail to see the point we're seeing.

This isn't a game where an image at say 1080P is stretched out to multiple monitors. The picture of the CryEngine3 in action is the engine being run at 5760x2400 resolution with 3 monitors showing a portion of the screen. Now think to yourself, "what type of power is required to render a next gen engine at such a high resolution?"

Well this is a really cool technology for the points you raise. But I also think the Large Hadron Collider is really cool tech, and I don't think most of us will be owning one any time soon. :p

Your second point is powerful though: if these cards can run games well at 5760x2400, then it's clear how much ass they will kick at standard resolutions. But EyeFinity itself is still a gimmick feature IMO, although great to know it exists in whatever capacity.

TheExodu5

Banned
I see not much purpose to it. The borders on the monitors render this pretty useless to me.

As for the performance of the cards...I'll wait until reviews and benchmarks come out to make my assessment.

Arcipello

i along with 99% of people on the planet have very little interest in the crazy multimonitor support, all i want to see is the pure performance in games and what the DX11 brings to the table.

CTLance

Yay for TruForm! I hope this time it sticks around. Playing Serious Sam with Truform enabled was fun... even if it looked like ass at times.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i wish there was a 3d card where i can hook up my monitor, hdtv, and another hdtv

so i can switch between the 3, not all 3 at the same time.

Xdrive05

irfan said:
Its as much a gimmick as SLI/CrossFire setups. I'm not talking Crossfire-on-a-stick boards, but dual card SLI setups. The word you are looking for is niche.

I disagree that it is as much a gimmick as SLI/CrossFire setups, as this is damn near an order of magnitude more costly than SLI/CrossFire. I'm purely talking about the economics here.

irfan said:
What? There are lot of people who have dual LCD setup. Its not as much niche as you trying to make it out. 22" 1080p screens are what? $150-160?

There's a difference between two and six monitors though. That means it will cost you $900 plus the price of the card, so $1200-$1300 just to have a display setup which takes full advantage of this feature.

Will people use this? Sure, but not even as much as the SLI/CrossFire niche of the computer gaming niche. That's why I'm calling this a bullet point. SLI/CrossFire was a bullet point too, but a far more attainable one for consumers.

Would be kind of cool if it takes off, but I'm not holding my breathe.

g'damn. i want that 5870. I think I'll just hold out on getting the 4870 and just get this.

I'll have to get a new processor tho because it'll definitely become a bottle neck

SuperÑ said:
So are they moving that tech demo at 3x2560x1600 with a single 5870 (400$)?

Yup!

That's some ludicrous performance, I'm stunned. :D

Honestly, I hope this shuts up all those that are claiming the next generation of consoles won't be a big leap forward. This level of performance will be the low end of PC hardware when the new consoles launch in 2012, and will absolutely be in the sub $100 category, possibly much lower.

Even a cautious approach to next gen. should yield something on par with what we're seeing today, and I don't think anyone will be upset with a console capable of running Cryengine 3 with much nicer settings than its current console iteration at 12x the resolution and a better framerate.

GPU technology has just moved so far on since 2005.

Pctx

Banned
brain_stew said:
The fact that Cry Engine 3 is playable at all whilst running at 6x the resolution of 1080p is impressive enough tbh.
Nvidia is going to have some hefty shoes to fill after this announcement.

When I was at the AMD event the person at the 24 monitor display said the cards (high end) would probably by $500-700. Take it for what it's worth. Also, that rig was using a 1200W power supply. The new cards are freaking long.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
fistfulofmetal said:
g'damn. i want that 5870. I think I'll just hold out on getting the 4870 and just get this.

I'll have to get a new processor tho because it'll definitely become a bottle neck
You might have to get a new monitor too.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ccgenerals said:
When I was at the AMD event the person at the 24 monitor display said the cards (high end) would probably by $500-700. Take it for what it's worth. Also, that rig was using a 1200W power supply. The new cards are freaking long.
Welp in the case photo the cards aren't even hooked up with crossfire connectors, so 3 would be only used for displays right? :lol

ccgenerals said:

The 24 monitor setups have been confirmed to be using 4 5870s in Crossfire. We don't know any final pricing but we do know at least the 1GB 5870 will be less than $400.

I've heard no word that there were Hemlock's (5870X2s) at the event, that'd temper peoples excitement if that was the case but I've seen no reports suggesting it.

I take it the mobo I have right now which uses DX10 GTX 260 would be incompatible with DX11 cards? it was a cheap board to start with with minor space for upgrades as this is a budget gaming rig.

Looks awesome though, few years time and I will own one :D

artist

Banned
Xdrive05 said:
I disagree that it is as much a gimmick as SLI/CrossFire setups, as this is damn near an order of magnitude more costly than SLI/CrossFire. I'm purely talking about the economics here.
Really? Couple of 295s will set you back by $1100. :lol
Xdrive05 said:
There's a difference between two and six monitors though. That means it will cost you $900 plus the price of the card, so $1200-$1300 just to have a display setup which takes full advantage of this feature.

Will people use this? Sure, but not even as much as the SLI/CrossFire niche of the computer gaming niche. That's why I'm calling this a bullet point. SLI/CrossFire was a bullet point too, but a far more attainable one for consumers.

Would be kind of cool if it takes off, but I'm not holding my breathe.
$1200-1300 is the same as two 295s with one LCD.

Also you dont have to necessarily go for a six LCD setup, jeez. Its upto you, you can go crazy with the possible configurations until you hit 6, then you need another 5870. :p

SapientWolf said:
Given what we've seen from Eyefinity, if they leaked benches early no one here would have believed them.
I've said this in the other thread but dont put much faith in the bench for two reasons:
1) Official driver isnt due until Monday
2) Tester says the bench is an OC'd 5870

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
brain_stew said:
Honestly, I hope this shuts up all those that are claiming the next generation of consoles won't be a big leap forward. This level of performance will be the low end of PC hardware when the new consoles launch in 2012, and will absolutely be in the sub $100 category, possibly much lower.

Console makers will fuck it up by including shitty ram or something. Just wait. :lol

shuri said:
while its nice to have so much processing power, it looks completly useless for actual gaming :(

I'm sorry, but did I miss something when they were displaying games and CryEngine 3...or...?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Kintaro said:
Console makers will fuck it up by including shitty ram or something. Just wait. :lol

I'm sorry, but did I miss something when they were displaying games and CryEngine 3...or...?

They better not lol either way we'll probably have to wait 4 more years for our new babies.

Top Bottom