• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlantic: Democrats Bet on a Populist Message to Win Back Congress

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...ge-populist-monopolies-congress-trump/534603/
Six months after Donald Trump’s inauguration, Democrats in Congress are ready to adopt a populist economic agenda that blends ideas long entrenched in the liberal mainstream, like infrastructure investment, with promises that have not been a focus of the Democratic Party in recent years such as a pledge to rein in the power of corporate monopolies.

Locked out of power in Washington, Democrats lack the ability to implement the agenda, which will be sold to voters under the tagline “A Better Deal: Better Jobs, Better Wages, Better Future.” But party leaders plan to pitch it as a preview of what they would do if Democrats win back Congress. The economic platform is aimed at bridging ideological and demographic divides in the party, and Democrats hope it will have widespread appeal, in rural and urban areas, and with centrist, moderate, and progressive voters alike.
“A Better Deal” makes clear that congressional Democrats believe that in 2017 the party must deliver an unequivocal message opposing corporate monopolies. The agenda calls for blocking mergers that “harm consumers, workers, and competition,” regulatory scrutiny of completed mergers to maintain free-market competition, and the creation of what the agenda describes as “a 21st-century ‘Trust Buster’ to stop abusive corporate conduct and the exploitation of market power.”
Democrats plan to unveil more proposals under the banner of “A Better Deal” in the weeks to come. The focus on an economic agenda suggests, however, that the party believes that prioritizing jobs, income, and wages will prove more unifying for the party, and more attractive to the kind of coalition they want to attract, than so-called “identity politics” messages that seek to appeal to voters on the basis of race and gender.

It's definitely an interesting blend of Bernie's more economic focus while not alienating moderate/centrist democrats that much. But like all platforms we'll have to wait on more specific policy proposals to judge it meaningfully.

The Bernie progressive wing is the future of the party. The litmus test will be do Democrats stand in favor of corporations or in favor of American workers. The old corrupt wing of the Clintons, the Feinsteins, the Schumers, etc. needs to be purged.

kadotsu

Banned
A Better Deal: Better Jobs, Better Wages, Better Future just rolls off the tongue. The acronym BDBJBWBF is also way better than MAGA.

Fight fire with fire.

Except that fire is proving to be an ungovernable disaster. Going with a message of "our populism will not be a garbage fire" is ridiculous. Populism of all types is a plea to baser instincts and unachievable promises, it's not something that should be promoted.

Slayven

The Bernie progressive wing is the future of the party. The litmus test will be do Democrats stand in favor of corporations or in favor of American workers. The old corrupt wing of the Clintons, the Feinsteins, the Schumers, etc. needs to be purged.

Thats not alarming

The problem is under almost no scenario will dems have the votes to actually pass anything or override a Presidential veto. So saying they will get stuff done, etc is misleading at best, a total fabricated lie at worst.

Instead they should really just be honest. "Ok, vote for us. We won't really get anything done either, the rules in Washington mean you need like a 70% majority to pass anything and thats never gonna happen for either side, for a while. But we won't look so dumb arguing about stuff I guess, and we will definitely not try to screw the poor and help the rich all the time. So uh vote for us, yeah."

There's no evidence that any of this is true.

kirblar

"Democrats bet on a populist message to win back congress"

Me: "Ctrl + F: single payer" no results found.

SMDH.
They're pretty deliberately avoiding talking about HC specifics because attacking the GOP is a much better option that putting out their own proposal.

Steel

Banned
The problem is under almost no scenario will dems have the votes to actually pass anything or override a Presidential veto. So saying they will get stuff done, etc is misleading at best, a total fabricated lie at worst.

Instead they should really just be honest. "Ok, vote for us. We won't really get anything done either, the rules in Washington mean you need like a 70% majority to pass anything and thats never gonna happen for either side, for a while. But we won't look so dumb arguing about stuff I guess, and we will definitely not try to screw the poor and help the rich all the time. So uh vote for us, yeah."

They tried the honest approach multiple times in the past. It doesn't work.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
"Democrats bet on a populist message to win back congress"

Me: "Ctrl + F: single payer" - no results found.

SMDH.

Universal health care access is the goal. Single payer is one route to that, and one with some real considerations. I think we might get there in a decade but I'll be somewhat mistrustful of any politician actively running on "we'll get single payer done"

RedZaraki

Banned
I think simply having a platform of the "future" and sticking with it is all you need.

- Net Neutrality
- Decriminalization of Marijuana
- Increasing minimum wage
- Separation of Church and State
- And so on.

They just need to be more firm in their convictions and charismatic about it. They have the right ideas already but they don't express them well to the common person.

kirblar

They probably don't want to pull a left-version of "Repeal and Replace"
Correct. They're very aware that Single Payer does not have the votes to pass within the Dem caucus. We're seeing Single Payer* messaging now coming from Bernie and others trying to soften/muddy the waters.

*but really talking about the Public Option as a first step

dcdobson

I'm a Democrat through and through, but it's hard to be excited about a new message when the party leadership has literally been around for longer than I've been alive.

The agenda doesn't really go that far. It doesn't include things like single-payer, free college, and a large increase in taxes. It also includes things like tax incentives for job training. The message includes 15 dollar minimum wage, but I read that many Senators aren't on board with that.

If they want do a 50 state strategy I guess they don't want to go too far. Honestly, it isn't that different from their other economic proposals with the biggest change being more aggressive against corporate power and the increase to 15 dollar minimum wage. During the midterms political parties tend focus on the economy anyway.

Bernie was never in the national election though. And millenials are horribly unreliable voters whether you like it or not

Millennials will be the largest voting demographic in 2020, like it or not. The future of the party is progressive. This step by Schumer is just an early first one, but Americans will smell through the bullshit the second the Democrats continue to pander to big banks, big pharma, big health care, the military industrial complex, etc.

Millennials will be the largest voting demographic in 2020, like it or not. The future of the party is progressive. This step by Schumer is just an early first one, but Americans will smell through the bullshit the second the Democrats continue to pander to big banks, big pharma, big health care, the military industrial complex, etc.
I really doubt that. Maybe in terms of number of eligible voters, but not in terms of number of people who actually vote

giphy.gif

Sure, then they can get an alternative over incremental change like we currently have now. How's that going?

The Technomancer

I wouldn't engage with El Tiguere, not out of some intrinsic problem with his opinions but because conversation is about as fruitful as talking to a wall

RedZaraki

Banned
This looks good.

If they pair this with a single payer proposal and a deeper awareness of social issues I can see this working out okay in 2018

educate yourself

I think running with single payer might be a misstep. To the average person, they have no f'ing clue what that means.

To the average person, when you raise minimum wages it just means money is worth less across the board and causes inflation.

Now obviously, to anyone informed, that is not the case. But the average voter is not informed and you have to REALLY, REALLY keep things straightforward to reach, like, 40% of the voters out there. They are dense as hell.

"Abortion is bad"
"Lower taxes"
"Support our troops"

Shit like that some people eat right up. We need simple stuff like that, that everyone understands, but that isn't regressive, conservative, garbage.

The agenda doesn't really go that far. It doesn't include things like single-payer, free college, and a large increase in taxes. It also includes things like tax incentives for job training. The message includes 15 dollar minimum wage, but I read that many Senators aren't on board with that.

If they want do a 50 state strategy I guess they don't want to go too far. Honestly, it isn't that different from their other economic proposals with the biggest change being more aggressive against corporate power and the increase to 15 dollar minimum wage. During the midterms political parties tend focus on the economy anyway.
Yup. It's a fairly limp platform but whatever, I'll take it for now. I wouldn't really call this populism though

The Technomancer

Yup. It's a fairly limp platform but whatever, I'll take it for now. I wouldn't really call this populism though

One of the issues with "populism" in general is always semantic. Does it refer to what the majority of voters want? What is that? Does it refer to what a political movement believes is in the interests of the majority of the population? Why is it called populism then?

In practice the common threads of populism are a dislike of perceived elites and favoring strong powerful leader figures. I'm not a fan of it

Top Bottom