• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atleast 189 dead after Terror Attack in Mogadishu

Oersted

The death toll in the bombing that hit the centre of Mogadishu on Saturday continues to rise, with more than 300 people now believed to have been killed and hundreds more seriously injured.

The scale of the loss makes the attack, which involved a truck packed with several hundred kilograms of military-grade and homemade explosives, one of the most lethal terrorist acts anywhere in the world for many years.

On Monday morning, Somalia’s information minister announced that 276 people had died in the attack with at least 300 people injured. Within hours, however, Abdikadir Abdirahman, the director of Amin ambulances, said his service had confirmed that 300 people died in the blast.

“The death toll will still be higher because some people are still missing,” Abdirahman told Reuters.

More victims continue to be dug from the rubble spread over an area hundreds of metres wide in the centre of the city.

Rescue workers said a definitive death toll may never be established because the intense heat generated by the blast meant the remains of many people would not be found.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/15/truck-bomb-mogadishu-kills-people-somalia

If someone wants to donate directly

https://twitter.com/AaminAmbulance/status/919660501705134082

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
We were just looking at a job opening there. Horrifying act of cowardice, everyone involved in planning and executing it should be left to starve to death in a hole somewhere.

Kickz

Insane that the number reached that much, I had read early on it was 30 something😕

They have made alot of progress rebuilding the city in the last 5 years

I wonder how one is even supposed to stop a car bomb security wise?? Checkpoints? Bomb sniffing dogs?

Breakage

Nothing about this on the news here in the UK. With a death toll that high and many more injured you'd think it would be an important news item.

Shauni

Even in the midst of a bad traffic jam that seems like an obscene body count. There had to be multiple bombs.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Nothing about this on the news here in the UK. With a death toll that high and many more injured you'd think it would be an important news item.
In addition to this, western response will be to blame Somalis and ban some more/make it difficult for them to flee.

Mohonky

Yeh last I heard it was under 20, but they said that it was only initial reports as the explosions were in a large area and more people maybe found but jesus that's a lot.

?

ISIS offshoot.

It's Africa though, a lot of Nations are struggling with corruption, terrorists, slavery, genocide, cultural / ethnic cleansing etc. It's a clusterfuck.

THE:MILKMAN

I read the article on the BBC website last night. Admittedly it was only featured on the side bar and is now buried under Africa news.

Why am I only now hearing about this? The NYT said this happened yesterday.

Yeah, there's a little piece on the bbc website, had to actively go looking for it on the Guardian website to find an article from yesterday.

Even in the midst of a bad traffic jam that seems like an obscene body count. There had to be multiple bombs.

New York Times now says in a recent article twin-bomb, but doesn't really provide further details. Will update when I find something better.

BBC article says there was a second bomb in another area of the city which killed two people. From the sounds of it this bomb went off near a hotel entrance in an area with a lot of shops and restaurants, so there were plenty of bystanders nearby. A reporter said that the hotel collapsed and there are people apparently trapped in the rubble :/

Sch1sm

إِنَّا لِلّهِ وَإِنَّـا إِلَيْهِ رَاجِعونَ

TheDanger

Banned
this death toll in a western city and this thread would already have 10 pages at least it's so sad that some lives are worth more than others to the general public

jph139

Wow, into tight traffic and successful detonation is like a worst case scenario. With a lot of these attacks you get a "we're lucky they didn't manage to XYZ, or things could have been much worse." But with that number... shit. This feels like a worst case scenario.

Condolences to the victims and families.

Nipo

CNN pushed an alert to my phone when Kim Kardashian was pregnant but nothing for this? It isn't even above the fold on the CNN page.

Pandy

Anything related to the Africa continent is unimportant to the media. That shit pisses me off.

RIP to the victims.

I'm feeling pretty angry/sad at the whole thing. Just another reminder of how completely messed up human 'civilisation' still is on so many levels.

Story is on the BBC News front page, but in a sidebar between a video about the £1 coin, and a feelgood (?) story about conjoined twins being separated in the DRC.

Oberon

Banned
The U.S. military this year has stepped up drone strikes and other efforts this year against the al-Qaida-linked al-Shabab, which is based in Somalia and often targets Mogadishu.

I wonder how it would be if we lived ina world where Al Qaida was never conceived.
RIP

Sch1sm

CNN pushed an alert to my phone when Kim Kardashian was pregnant but nothing for this? It isn't even above the fold on the CNN page.

It isn't in the West, so it doesn't matter to them. I guess that's the reality of it. There are plenty of attacks we hear next to nothing about because they occur in places like East and Northeast Africa, the Middle East. They get these tiny sections on news sites and float away after a day because it isn't an attack on some 'safe' place like major European and North American cities.

I'm not sure if it's because they expect these attacks to happen in those places, so it doesn't seem like news to them, or if it's because it isn't furthering some agenda in terms of instilling fear in us.

Top Bottom