• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces Deep Strange Journey for 3DS

Hylian7

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201703/30129882.html

Ingame screens.

Magazine scans show that NPC's now have portrait art too.

Gives me forbidden. :(

Edit: I managed to find it elsewhere.

I thought they might change it to be third person like SMTIV (as little as that would make sense with SJ), but I'm glad they left it first person. It's hard to tell from the screenshots, since I see only one icon, but they didn't switch it to Press Turn, did they? I love Press Turn and all, but I think with Demon Co-Op (which is clearly still in judging by the pics) makes more sense here, and it doesn't make much sense to have Press Turn.

The dungeon crawling environment visual updates though, yes, fucking please. That looks great and was exactly what I wanted out of an SJ remake.

Very SMTIV/Apocalypse UI though.

Wow, it's like they took much of the UI from SMTIV.

Combat UI basically looks like IV's too.

I thought they might change it to be third person like SMTIV (as little as that would make sense with SJ), but I'm glad they left it first person. It's hard to tell from the screenshots, since I see only one icon, but they didn't switch it to Press Turn, did they? I love Press Turn and all, but I think with Demon Co-Op (which is clearly still in judging by the pics) it doesn't make much sense to have it.

The dungeon crawling environment visual updates though, yes, fucking please. That looks great and was exactly what I wanted out of an SJ remake.

It's not press turn. Icon is the encounter proximity indicator.

Nachos

Wow, it's like they took much of the UI from SMTIV.
They clearly used IV's as a base, but I think they reskinned it enough to give it its own identity. It's changed more than Apocalypse's was.

Also, I just realized that the Japanese text boxes look like they support three lines of text instead of just two. Guess they learned from how awkwardly Persona 5 and Apocalypse handled text in their localizations.

Try copy and pasting the link directly into the address bar.

Aeana

I thought they might change it to be third person like SMTIV (as little as that would make sense with SJ), but I'm glad they left it first person. It's hard to tell from the screenshots, since I see only one icon, but they didn't switch it to Press Turn, did they? I love Press Turn and all, but I think with Demon Co-Op (which is clearly still in judging by the pics) it doesn't make much sense to have it.

One of the shots shows a neutral co-op happening.

The UI looks more Apocalypse than IV but yeah.

Also I still can't get over how badly they've screwed up Jimenez's face. I hope they make Demon Co-Op better than it was in the original. Many times it just feels a bit meh.

Hylian7

Also Alex in Bootes without a Demonica....yep, this is some Yuriko/Lilith shit.

One of the shots shows a neutral co-op happening.

Right, I was saying it was still in because it was there. I just thought maybe Press Turn was in because I saw the icon in the upper right, but it also said "Search", so maybe that's not the case.

Edit: I re-read my post and it makes no sense and doesn't convey that at all. Let me fix it.

redcrayon

The icon represents how close you are to a random battle, like Etrian Odyssey.

Hylian7

The icon represents how close you are to a random battle, like Etrian Odyssey.

So just like the original then, they just changed what the icon looked like. I see. I was thrown off because it was this thing and in the same place as SMTIV/Apocalypse.

shin_megami_tensei_iv_final___press_turn_icons_by_utopiaray-d9d12fc.png

I apologize for the DeviantArt version, but that's the only thing I could find of just the Press Turn icons.

So just like the original then, they just changed what the icon looked like. I see. I was thrown off because it was this thing and in the same place as SMTIV/Apocalypse.

shin_megami_tensei_iv_final___press_turn_icons_by_utopiaray-d9d12fc.png

I apologize for the DeviantArt version, but that's the only thing I could find of just the Press Turn icons.

Persona Q used that for the proximity indicator too.

Kind of wondered if they'd actually add in map drawing, but doesn't look like it.

Opa-Pa

Jimenez' mouth aside, yep, that looks great.

Still hoping they modified demon co-op in some capacity to make it more dynamic, but the environments definitely look different in that screenshot with Yukiko, I'm glad. Strange Journey deserves newer EO looks for sure.

Jimenez' mouth aside, yep, that looks great.

Still hoping they modified demon co-op in some capacity to make it more dynamic, but the environments definitely look different in that screenshot with Yukiko, I'm glad. Strange Journey deserves newer EO looks for sure.
lulz

And yeah, environments definitely look updated but hard to tell if it's going to be something on the level of the newer EO games or Persona Q.

Nimby

Banned
I guess they are adding in more demons. Therion, Beelzebub and Nebiros from IV and Maria all the way from NINE.

Hylian7

I guess they are adding in more demons. Therion, Beelzebub and Nebiros from IV and Maria all the way from NINE.

I've always been curious about NINE. I've never played it (I don't even know if an English translation exists), I just know the history about it that the online was coming, but cancelled. I haven't heard anything about the game's quality.

Opa-Pa

people on twitter probably beat you to the punch

https://twitter.com/heterodont/status/846115341042266112

the contrast between Maria from NINE and all the new character art is ... stark

and yeah demon co-op is definitely back.

Oh my god Jimenez, why.

I've always been curious about NINE. I've never played it (I don't even know if an English translation exists), I just know the history about it that the online was coming, but cancelled. I haven't heard anything about the game's quality.

Never played it myself, but what I've heard from people who own it, is that it's hilariously bad.

Looks like the textures are the same as the DS game. Then again the DS screen did them no favours.

Also a comparison to the UI
62-SJUp52_0103.png

SMT-Deep-Strange-Journey_Fami-shot_03-29-17_003.jpg

Gonna miss you Strange Journey. I really digged the aesthetic.

rip kaneko

MegaMelon

I wonder if they'll change the mc from being a vending machine. Being able to choose level up stat distribution and learning non bullet skills would be a dream come true.

asagami_

Banned
I wonder, something have been said about the distribution of the stat points? It would be nice to have control this time.

Edit: ^^ lol what timing

duckroll

No changes to the stat distribution I think. But they did bother to add additional portraits for supporting characters now. In the medical room there's a cute new moe design for one of the assistant staff! Woohoo! The important things are getting remade!

NINE and Nocturne represent two different evolutionary futures for the franchise: NINE was sticking more closely to the roots while Nocturne was an attempt to adapt to modern gaming conventions. This is especially apparent in the presentation: cutscenes in NINE appear to be just, like, recreating the style of cutscene from the SFC games, except in third person. It's static and boring to look at. Meanwhile Nocturne understood that Kaneko's sense of style was one of the franchise's strongest assets and leaned into it hard, and it paid off and the series was able to flourish in a way it never had before.

Of course the big joke is that out of control dev costs meant that the franchise eventually got shoved onto portables and they essentially lost the ability to really embrace a flashy style and the presentation has had to regress to what they were doing in the SNES days.

I'm really conflicted about this,i love Strange Journey,it's in my top 10 all time and it's probably right up there with Silent Hunter 3 and King of Dragon Pass in my most played games.
SJ has my fav setting in the entire gaming library,it's like the ultimate The Thing and Das Boot crossover.Inıtial storyline is great too,as rather than focusing on occult it tries to build on a semi-realistic premise which is based on science not the series' signature bullshit.Sj also has my fav soundtrack in the entire SMT series,i enjoyed 3&4's soundtracks as much as anyone else but if i had never played any of the games in the series and was just told about the subject matter then SJ's soundtrack would be what i was expecting going in,i love those high-low chants and horns.While the gameplay is better in Nocturne and 4 mapping out the world felt so amazing that i didn't really miss the press turn system.

On the other hand game could really use an update,i don't care about the graphics but i felt that the ship could have been integrated better into the gameplay and more crew interaction would greatly enhance the games(already great) atmosphere.Also i felt that Jack's crew didn't get enough attention in the SJ,they should've been a fully functioning faction of their own.And later on in the game some of the worldbuilding elements fell flat on their face,most of the demon npcs spread throught the maps never had anything new to say which was disappointing.After 4's great worldbuilding(i mean Nocturne had this too but not to 4's degree) and every character in the world having something new to say after events,revisiting SJ causes some disappointments.

We have all these areas that could be expanded upon greatly,they shouldn't focus on aesthetics&art.That Jimenez screenshot is just atrocious leave Kaneko's art alone!

Akainu

Looks like the textures are the same as the DS game. Then again the DS screen did them no favours.

Also a comparison to the UI
62-SJUp52_0103.png

SMT-Deep-Strange-Journey_Fami-shot_03-29-17_003.jpg

Gonna miss you Strange Journey. I really digged the aesthetic.

rip kaneko

It's funny/sad how the lost of the cheek bones makes him look like a little boy to me.

Totakeke

Did they mention how much they would tweak the game content? With save anywhere, I'd love it if they incorporated the ideas of boss encounter designs from SMT4A into here and make the game even more oppressive.

Is the main guy from the og game now a supporting character or what?

The main guy is still the main guy, the girl (Alex) is Dante from Devil May Cry trying to kill the main character for some unspecified reason.

Did they mention how much they would tweak the game content? With save anywhere, I'd love it if they incorporated the ideas of boss encounter designs from SMT4A into here and make the game even more oppressive.

Based on all their previous 3DS remasters, I'd assume "not much"

randomkid

do the newer Etrian Odysseys have save anywhere too? did Persona Q? it seems like it really decimates the point of having these kinds of dungeons in the first place, which is part of what made Strange Journey different from the other games within the series.

Etrian Odyssey typically doesn't hit Strange Journey level dungeon until the post game, any anyway I'm pretty sure you unlocked a Save Anywhere app about halfway through the game.

Nachos

do the newer Etrian Odysseys have save anywhere too? did Persona Q? it seems like it really decimates the point of having these kinds of dungeons in the first place, which is part of what made Strange Journey different from the other games within the series.
None of them have it, but they added a temp save feature from II or III on.

Etrian Odyssey typically doesn't hit Strange Journey level dungeon until the post game, any anyway I'm pretty sure you unlocked a Save Anywhere app about halfway through the game.
And Strange Journey isn't even that bad, just tedious at times. But I don't think they ever gave you a save anywhere option.

randomkid

And Strange Journey isn't even that bad, just tedious at times. But I don't think they ever gave you a save anywhere option.

Yeah Soul Hackers was the one with the save anywhere app, don't remember one at all for SJ.

SJ dungeons have a very different flow and design than anything from SMT1-4 is what I was saying.

Top Bottom