• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces "Persona Special Stage" for TGS 2015

FluxWaveZ

i didn't know their pr guy had come to post here. maybe it's to settle rumors? i don't know.

it's weird that there's been pretty much zero buildup for this game though. dancing all night has had a pretty solid campaign going back to e3. i guess if p5 hits in december, then that would be about the same amount of time if they start now. something about it just seems off to me.

You can't compare a rhythm game spin-off's marketing to that of the first mainline RPG sequel in 7 years.

Seems weird to us but probably normal for Atlus...

Persona 5's marketing isn't that normal for Atlus.

AniHawk

You can't compare a rhythm game spin-off's marketing to that of the first mainline RPG sequel in 7 years.

i sure as hell can when the rhythm game spin-off's marketing has been enormous in comparison to that of the first mainline rpg sequel in 7 years.

artsi

You act like something like that not ever happened before in history of Gaming PR.

Well I guess it just depends on who you trust, so far I don't have any reason to doubt John. I just don't think he wants to make a fool out of himself by deliberately lying on forums he doesn't have any obligation to post at.

FluxWaveZ

i sure as hell can when the rhythm game spin-off's marketing has been enormous in comparison to that of the first mainline rpg sequel in 7 years.

What? Scale has nothing to do with it. The types of games are fundamentally different, so how they're marketed will be fundamentally different as well. P5 was announced with chairs, P4D was announced with gameplay. The first P5 gameplay trailer was shown at the end of a huge concert. The PV was released exclusively as a first-print bonus for the spin-off game.

It doesn't make sense to think that P5 would in any way resemble how P5's been publicized, especially considering how it's been shown from 2013 until now.

sense

i guess i will make my dumb prediction here. it will have a physical release in japan but digital first in the US in 2015. there is no way they can hide a retail release coming out in 2015 for so long without any retailers leaking a date. i mean isn't it kinda crazy that amazon and gamestop don't have a listing for the game yet when something final fantasy 7 remake is already listed?

FluxWaveZ

i guess i will make my dumb prediction here. it will have a physical release in japan but digital first in the US in 2015. there is no way they can hide a retail release coming out in 2015 for so long without any retailers leaking a date. i mean isn't it kinda crazy that amazon and gamestop don't have a listing for the game yet when something final fantasy 7 remake is already listed?

I have this:
VB6anD9.jpg
I think they were adamant when it came to removing listings for the game.

Mendrox

ehm... you know that retailers do that themselves all the time? See all these fake leak threads where a retailer just rumored that game xyz is coming out in that year and put up a fake preorder.

It's nothing new for a Persona game to get almost no marketing... they will explode a few weels before release and TGS will be the start for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if they do another 15-20 minute trailer like Persona 4s back then and release the game a month later.

Game will come out end of November or December for sure.

If it was the other way around, you'd have a point. But Persona 4 Dancing all night had a huge marketing campaign whereas persona 5 has had very little at all, which is baffling. If the game really is out this year in NA/JP the lack of marketing is really quite confusing.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I'm not watching this. My heart can't take their trolling anymore. I will just wait for the real stuff to hit the sites.

So, I read the Persona Channel post about this, and I'm going to make two guesses on what will happen at this event:

-At the end of the special event, a new full trailer for Persona 5 will be revealed. The release date will be November 5, 2015 in Japan. (A very real possibility, as that's a Thursday, is on a day with a "5" in it, and is exactly nine months after PV#01 was showcased)
-The vocal version of the main theme will be in this trailer. (I say this because Shoji Meguro stated back in February that we'd hear it "soon" which leads me to believe we'll see it publically. Plus, it'd fit well with the end of the concert)

These are just my guesses. I'm not saying it's going to happen. Anything can happen, but I feel these are most likely in my opinion. I doubt ATLUS will show Persona 5 at the start of their segment of the SEGA conference. It'll most likely be saved to be the best for last as their show stopper, especially with this being a special concert.

fertygo

Well I guess it just depends on who you trust, so far I don't have any reason to doubt John. I just don't think he wants to make a fool out of himself by deliberately lying on forums he doesn't have any obligation to post at.

He can claim he seeing the localization is at works for 2015 release, but even if so release delay not always about the game already ready or not. You know fiscal date and all that jazz.

When that happen.. PR always spin their word.

FluxWaveZ

If it was the other way around, you'd have a point. But Persona 4 Dancing all night had a huge marketing campaign whereas persona 5 has had very little at all, which is baffling. If the game really is out this year in NA/JP the lack of marketing is really quite confusing.

Persona 5 probably doesn't need as much marketing as P4D to convince enthusiasts to get it and keep it in the thought of the targeted customer base. Still, P5 will get its marketing, and at that point I don't think it will matter that it's going to happen close to release when everyone's talking about it.

Persona 5 probably doesn't need as much marketing as P4D to convince enthusiasts to get it and keep it in the thought of the targeted customer base. Still, P5 will get its marketing, and at that point I don't think it will matter that it's going to happen close to release when everyone's talking about it.

I agree with you completely, Flux. With P5, ATLUS just needs to show some info and get things rolling, and the fans will do the rest of the marketing. Like with PV#01. Just the trailer alone, even without a release date or anything was able to get everyone talking about it, due to how they made the announcement and everything leading up to it. If they do another trailer, this time with a release date and promos starting, people will talk and the game will sell well. With P4D, a high level of marketing was pretty much a requirement. It was a rhythm spin-off of an RPG franchise. So, once P5 starts its marketing, as you said, it won't matter how close to release the release date announcement is, as long as people start talking.

It's baffling that people assume lack of advertising indicates lack of development.

For Atlus' last 3 Persona spin off games, they've always focused their marketing attention on one game at a time. Persona 4 Dancing's last big DLC came out recently, so using TGS to kick off P5 's advertising isn't a stretch.

Oddish1

It's baffling that people assume lack of advertising indicates lack of development.

For Atlus' last 3 Persona spin off games, they've always focused their marketing attention on one game at a time. Persona 4 Dancing's last big DLC came out recently, so using TGS to kick off P5 's advertising isn't a stretch.

That actually seems fairly reasonable to me. When publishers or game developers aren't talking about a game they're already announced it's usually a sign for concern, and given Persona is one of Atlus' largest franchises right now the lack of attention they give it is strange compared to other developers.

But as you point out there's still plenty of time to advertise it, if it is still on track for this year and it's not unreasonable that the game makes it for 2015. I just think there is some reasonable concern about it.

Yeah, no thanks Atlus I'm not watching.

I'll be there day 1 for P5 but god Atlus's PR and marketing for this game has been pretty awful and mostly non-existence. At this rate I think the only people who are still interested in P5 are the Persona fanbase, which is a shame cause I think with proper marketing P5 could have made the series much more bigger outside Japan.

Sophia

Realistically, this seems like the place where we'd hear the vocal version of the Persona 5 theme song. Especially if a release date announcement comes before or following the concert.

Zalman

Realistically, this seems like the place where we'd hear the vocal version of the Persona 5 theme song. Especially if a release date announcement comes before or following the concert.
I hope so. I wonder if they will bring in a new singer or use Hirata/Lotus/Kawamura again.

I assume there will be no date maybe a trailer the big blowout will be in Famitsu or w/e right after TGS

No idea why I think this but I do.

crinale

Well you can learn Japanese and import it..
However given the increased awareness at Western market they shouldn't take that long for localization.

Bousf

If Japan/US get Persona 5 this year and Europe gets it Q1 2016 I don't mind waiting because my Q4 2015 is stuffed enough. If it is Q2 2016 then I'll import xD

Pooya

optimistic scenario: release date announcement, March April 2016.
realistic scenario: another trailer, no release date.

bring it on.

chiimisu

It's weird, but I reeeeeally hope for a P3 Platinum/Silver on the Vita. I wanted to finish the game for ages, but it's hard to do so without a definitive version. I really didn't like VN-like gameplay of P3P :/ Let me run arouund, geez

True Fire

I'm guessing they kept the release date a secret to "surprise" people with a simultaneous JP/NA release next month or November.

It's too close to the end of 2015 for that to not be their intention. I'm surprised it hasn't leaked yet though.

It's weird, but I reeeeeally hope for a P3 Platinum/Silver on the Vita. I wanted to finish the game for ages, but it's hard to do so without a definitive version. I really didn't like VN-like gameplay of P3P :/ Let me run arouund, geez

Yeah. I'd like a new version of P3 with all the best stuff from FES and P3P combined in to one package.

Also, just saying, it should be called Persona 3 Velvet. I mean, 4 had a largely yellow colour scheme, hence why the remake was "golden". By similar logic, persona 3 had blues/purples as the colour scheme, and those are always heavily used in the velvet room in game, so...

Much better than platinum or silver or whatever at any rate :p

Top Bottom