• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus is working hard on the next Persona

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinluck

I'm not familiar with Persona at all, mind you, but what gameplay mechanics could be done on a more advanced platform that can't be done on a handheld platform?

It's more of a presentation thing.

Technically, Vita can do anything current gen consoles can, with certain compromises presentation wise.

P3P was pretty awesome, but there were certain things missing that made me wish they made a P3Silver or something. I liked roaming the hubs, I liked the cutscenes and whatnot. Just a more complete feel to the experience. Of course, those are PS2 games, so they're feasible on Vita and 3DS. But a Persona game with the visual fidelity of Catherine or above would have to cut back to make it on handhelds. I rather them just make a home console version, and then a separate one along the line for handhelds. Instead of them being developed simultaneously. Neither P3 or P4 were made side by side with a handheld port, those ports came later. If they want to bring it to handhelds, I rather them continue down that trend.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
P5 should be about grade school kids and them shooting adults and stuff with blood and shit.

GavinGT

Banned
P5 should be about grade school kids and them shooting adults and stuff with blood and shit.

Yep, stop shooting yourselves in the head and turn those guns on your classmates and teachers. Morooka thought he was so tough telling me not to mac on those girls. And then he tried to touch me in the teacher's lounge. I'll show him. I'll show all of them. You fuck with Charlie and you're gonna get the hot tuna.

FluxWaveZ

immortal-joe mentioned that the Social aspect happens in each character's workplace.
Imagine S.Links during your job as a lawyer.

I'm not sure I want an adult cast for P5, but if they were to do something like that they could just go for a relatively unrealistic depiction like Ace Attorney, where S. Links could be easily imagined.

immortal-joe mentioned that the Social aspect happens in each character's workplace.
Imagine S.Links during your job as a lawyer.

The S-Links in the school of P4 had almost nothing to do with the work at the school. It just provides a backdrop for the human conflicts experienced by the people there.

So the S-links would not involve legal talk and work - but perhaps a co-worker having an affair, or your boss / supervisor using you as a shoulder to cry on. All the while, you bring in that Atlus touch to wrap it all up.

The careers would still be useful from a storytelling perspective, if needed.

pantsmith

Ideal (and impossible) setup for a Persona game:

Setting:

Metropolitan City

Characters:

Aged 30 to 45, living in the same small apartment complex. A Detective, Business man, Architect, Lawyer....etc. Game is played from the POV of each character in the complex, not a single main character, opening the door for new story-telling opportunities. "Social" aspect happens in each character's workplace.

Conflict will be localized, and not "omg must save the world".

Themes:

Loss of Youth
Adultery
Betrayal
Redemption
Forgiveness

This sounds a lot like the plot of How I Met Your Mother. But with demons.

Eirikr

Crossing my fingers for a Norse theme. Having a new Soejima-designed pantheon is one way in which Atlus wouldn't be able to systematically ignore superior Runic Odin for Diaper Odin.

It's more of a presentation thing.

Technically, Vita can do anything current gen consoles can, with certain compromises presentation wise.

P3P was pretty awesome, but there were certain things missing that made me wish they made a P3Silver or something. I liked roaming the hubs, I liked the cutscenes and whatnot. Just a more complete feel to the experience. Of course, those are PS2 games, so they're feasible on Vita and 3DS. But a Persona game with the visual fidelity of Catherine or above would have to cut back to make it on handhelds. I rather them just make a home console version, and then a separate one along the line for handhelds. Instead of them being developed simultaneously. Neither P3 or P4 were made side by side with a handheld port, those ports came later. If they want to bring it to handhelds, I rather them continue down that trend.

Yes I got to assume he will get a Disgaea D2 vita port announcement soon since launches in Japan tommorow on PS3.
Sure similar thing with P5.

Games just scale down well.

The S-Links in the school of P4 had almost nothing to do with the work at the school. It just provides a backdrop for the human conflicts experienced by the people there.

So the S-links would not involve legal talk and work - but perhaps a co-worker having an affair, or your boss / supervisor using you as a shoulder to cry on. All the while, you bring in that Atlus touch to wrap it all up.

The careers would still be useful from a storytelling perspective, if needed.

Shitty High School drama would be better :3

"I think... he's cheating on me"
>"Cheat on him"
>"Anyway I can help?"
>"Whatever."

"Why wont he notice me?"
>"He's an idiot"
>"I notice you"
>"Whatever."

"I think... I'm falling in love with you..."
>"I love you too"
>"Say what!?"
>"Okay."

Crossing my fingers for a Norse theme. Having a new Soejima-designed pantheon is one way in which Atlus wouldn't be able to systematically ignore superior Runic Odin for Diaper Odin.

Odd how the did the opposite with Loki, using the cool vampire Loki over Piccolo Loki. Also, nice Xiahou Dun avatar.

At least you get money :C

Mad public interest law money! (Read: I work for only people without much money. So, spiritually rich?) Which, come to think of it, I don't want to lawyer during the day and then come home and do it in a game. But that's probably a pretty specific complaint.

A-are you Harvey Birdman!?

Somedays, I do consider donning a crest, but then think better of it. But yes, the avatar carries meaning... And justice.

Superflat

This sounds a lot like How I Met Your Mother. With demons.

I can get behind this. I'll take any Persona as long as it has good characterizations really, but is Japanese high school life really that relatable? I just think a shake-up would be even more revitalizing.

Stark

Banned
I can get behind this. I'll take any Persona as long as it has good characterizations really, but is Japanese high school life really that relatable? I just think a shake-up would be even more revitalizing.

High School in general is relatable due to it being very recent and ideal time for me.

Eirikr

Odd how the did the opposite with Loki, using the cool vampire Loki over Piccolo Loki. Also, nice Xiahou Dun avatar.

Thanks! Love me some eye-eaters.

Technically, they did bother to give Odin a new model in P4, but it was still based on the original SMT design yet was far better than the garbage model recycled from Nocturne. I guess it's more work to render the Runic one in 3D, but Odin's no minor god and deserves to not look like a DBZ reject anymore. This is also just a general hope that the effort put into these demon/persona renders for P5 (should that even be warranted -- hey, we know nothing at this point), means more use of them in other SMT games to come.

These kinds of decisions form the crux of my enjoyment of SMT in general. :p

Ideal (and impossible) setup for a Persona game:

Setting:

Metropolitan City

Characters:

Aged 30 to 45, living in the same small apartment complex. A Detective, Business man, Architect, Lawyer....etc. Game is played from the POV of each character in the complex, not a single main character, opening the door for new story-telling opportunities. "Social" aspect happens in each character's workplace.

Conflict will be localized, and not "omg must save the world".

Themes:

Loss of Youth
Adultery
Betrayal
Redemption
Forgiveness

sounds like a game targeted at day 1 Persona fans, which is great. but i'm not sure if the JRPG genre is mature enough for this direction. maybe in a decade?

i assume Persona 5 will be even more focused at fans of cheap anime, similar to Fire Emblem. the anime version will launch to complement the game.

Definitely hyped. If it doesn't get announced at this year's E3, I'm looking at next gen. They can always try the working salary man trying to woo over his co-workers as the setting >_>

synce

I'm gonna guess a late 2014 PS3 release... and it'll probably be the best game that year, PS4 and all. Unless they try to pull a FF13

YESSSSSS.....love Persona.

Hopefully this one is on the ps3 and instead of the school setting its set in university.

I know this is fake but I love these character designs:

persona_5_art_work_2_by_hexactinozio-d3ehdy8.jpg

IHjd10

xPVoCk

I love this darker theme. Persona 5 better be more dark like Persona 3, don't get me wrong P4 was enjoyable but the I felt the P3's story was better.

Snakeyes

Hopefully they go for a more mature setting with characters in their early-to-mid twenties. Not immature like high school kids but not entirely adults either.

Snakeyes

I was thinking something along the lines of recent graduates since the college experience is apparently not all that fun in Japan. :p

Rootbeer

Banned
PS4 please? I don't care if it's not as good as Persona 4 Golden. If it's even remotely close I'll be pleased to death. Just give me more!

GavinGT

Banned
I was thinking something along the lines of recent graduates since the college experience is apparently not all that fun in Japan. :p

At least it isn't until the new kid comes to town and shows everyone how to party.

But then on cloudy nights kids fall into boom boxes and we have to jump in and save them, of course.

What if there was variable party member ages. Mc or male 1 is 2nd year in high school, FemC or female is 1st year and male 2 is 3rd year. They you got an (Not Ken annoying) little kid, two or three 20-30 year olds and an old man?

Vexxan

Definitely my most anticipated game, even if it comes out next year I get the feeling that it will be a PS3/360 game.

Please don't be a 3DS game.

Superflat

I love this darker theme. Persona 5 better be more dark like Persona 3, don't get me wrong P4 was enjoyable but the I felt the P3's story was better.

FFFF, if Atlus made a game and actually released those screens I'd be over the moon.

I'm probably in the minority but I also preferred P3's overarching narrative, especially the last third where
they were basically counting down the days to earth's destruction.
The entire story had an element of dark intrigue. Persona 4 really shines in character development though, and I can concede that they are better done, as much as I liked the P3 cast.

What if there was variable party member ages. Mc or male 1 is 2nd year in high school, FemC or female is 1st year and male 2 is 3rd year. They you got an (Not Ken annoying) little kid, two or three 20-30 year olds and an old man?

I would like diversity in backgrounds and ages, but however diverse the main cast, the actual day-to-day structure of the game would depend solely on the main character's occupation, whether it be a student or something else. I personally would think someone with a salary type job could have some more gameplay opportunities, like choosing sick or vacation days, which could open up to special events depending on which days you choose! (I know I'm really reaching here). Actually, I think the ability to choose not to go to school to prioritize other things would be quite an interesting addition, and add to the balancing act that we often do in Persona games.

Persona 2 narrative > persona 3 narrative > persona 4 narrative > persona narrative

Persona 2 characters > Persona 4 characters > Persona characters = Persona 3 characters

Moonlight

Banned
I've spent a while kicking around what I'd like to see a Persona game, and I'd love it if at least one of these things happened:

- Male or female options.
- College setting, largely freshmen cast. Almost everyone lives on campus. I think getting away entirely from the high school vibe is a pretty unreasonable expectation, despite the team's experimentation in Catherine, but college wouldn't be an unreasonable compromise.
- Persona 4 explored the television, this would centralize over social media platforms. Phones would play a more important role in the game, and your Personae would probably be based in part on your 'online Persona'.
- Tying into that exploration of the internet and social media, I imagine the themes would boil down to anonymity, online identities, and how much people wind up airing out about themselves or others over places like Facebook or Twitter.
- With this in mind, the game's Dark Hour or Midnight Channel could be a website where rumours are spread and aggrandized, which... well, I never really thought this part out too much. People are killed by those rumours, maybe.
- Schedule your own courses, bigger course load = faster Knowledge gain and maybe some other stuff, less time for Social Linking. Opposite, of course, for a smaller course load. You could place your courses on days to best fit the availability of some Links you'd prefer to prioritize.
- The 'Tired' mechanic should probably come back.
- Texting would work pretty much like Catherine does, you choose through a couple options to say line by line and it ranks or damages your S-Link depending on what you say. I don't know if it'd take time but I imagine it'd be a free action - maybe balanced by a specific amount of texts you're allotted per month or pay per text. Your MC has a really shitty plan.
- Although if phones get important, they certainly won't (shouldn't be, rather) be the game's Evoker or arcana card. Dialing your Persona's number or something to summon them would be inane. I wouldn't mind sticking with card crushing.
- Some consequences for cheating. It'd be unrealistic to assume anything entirely realistic without massively over-complicating things, but it'd be nice to have something tangible be felt within the story or at least, within an S-Link over electing to double/triple/quadruple/etc time your girlfriends.
- Minato Arisato, P3's protagonist is Igor's replacement. The Velvet Room is a nightclub. FeMC is the Attendant. It's perfect.
- While we're talking about P3 callbacks, Ms. Toriumi should wind up being a college professor.

Stark

Banned
I've spent a while kicking around what I'd like to see a Persona game, and I'd love it if at least one of these things happened:

- College setting, largely freshmen cast. Almost everyone lives on campus. I think getting away entirely from the high school vibe is a pretty unreasonable expectation, despite the team's experimentation in Catherine, but college wouldn't be an unreasonable compromise.
- Persona 4 explored the television, this would centralize over social media platforms. Phones would play a more important role in the game, and your Personae would probably be based in part on your 'online Persona'.
- Tying into that exploration of the internet and social media, I imagine the themes would boil down to anonymity, online identities, and how much people wind up airing out about themselves or others over places like Facebook or Twitter.
- With this in mind, the game's Dark Hour or Midnight Channel could be a website where rumours are spread and aggrandized, which... well, I never really thought this part out too much. People are killed by those rumours, maybe.
- Schedule your own courses, bigger course load = faster Knowledge gain and maybe some other stuff, less time for Social Linking. Opposite, of course, for a smaller course load. You could place your courses on days to best fit the availability of some Links you'd prefer to prioritize.
- Texting would work pretty much like Catherine does, you choose through a couple options to say line by line and it ranks or damages your S-Link depending on what you say. I don't know if it'd take time but I imagine it'd be a free action - maybe balanced by a specific amount of texts you're allotted per month or pay per text. Your MC has a really shitty plan.
- Although if phones get important, they certainly won't (shouldn't be, rather) be the game's Evoker or arcana card. Dialing your Persona's number or something to summon them would be inane. I wouldn't mind sticking with card crushing.
- Some consequences for cheating. It'd be unrealistic to assume anything entirely realistic without massively over-complicating things, but it'd be nice to have something tangible be felt within the story or at least, within an S-Link over electing to double/triple/quadruple/etc time your girlfriends.
- Minato Arisato, P3's protagonist is Igor's replacement. The Velvet Room is a nightclub. FeMC is the Attendant. It's perfect.
- While we're talking about P3 callbacks, Ms. Toriumi should wind up being a college professor.

Yes. I like this.

They should rename company to WAITLUS because apperently they think waiting for years for any screenshot from game then waiting for US release then waiting for someone picks them up in EU is all we can do.

Superflat

Man, even though I said I didn't want blatant Persona callbacks, P3 MC in Igor's place would be ...pretty damn badass. I really enjoyed the call/text mechanic in Catherine and would love to see it elaborated upon.

MCD

And for the love of god no more silent protagonists.

No, I don't see myself as the main character and this isn't the PS1 era. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

Superflat

And for the love of god no more silent protagonists.

No, I don't see myself as the main character and this isn't the PS1 era. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

BUT... TRADITION! Vincent was a well fleshed out character, so I don't doubt Atlus to make a cool character to play that actually has a determined personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom