• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus Japan: Atlus brand will carry on

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

That's not always true. If some company buys them they can halt/cancel projects in development, remove figureheads for games or whatnot. It wouldn't always be the wisest thing to do on the latter part but it happens.

When Atlus explicitly state on their official website and on Twitter that the consumer games business of the Atlus brand will live on as well as previously announced titles, I'm not going to think of potential hypotheticals that go against that.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
When Atlus explicitly state on their official website and on Twitter that the consumer games business of the Atlus brand will live on as well as previously announced titles, I'm not going to think of potential hypotheticals that go against that.

If they get bought out or there's some parent above them, it doesn't matter what say Atlus has.

1372372465765.gif

FluxWaveZ

If they get bought out or there's some parent above them, it doesn't matter what say Atlus has.

Then why would they mention anything at all now when what they stated last week is that they would give fans an update on their situation when they can? We don't know what's happening behind the scenes, so I'll take their official word on it than peoples' guesswork.

kuroshiki

Eh. I wouldn't put too much weight on their words at this moment.

If 1) index closes for good 2) creditors sold company department by department and someone buy Atlus

whatever Atlus says at this point doesn't means anything.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Then why would they mention anything at all now when what they stated last week is that they would give fans an update on their situation when they can? We don't know what's happening behind the scenes, so I'll take their official word on it than peoples' guesswork.

It's not even an update. Nothing has changed since last week and what they said today. What they said today was a given and obvious. It's a non-news.

tokkun

The brand is one thing, but what about the development talent? Do you stil want a Persona game if it's shopped out to Idea Factory or Tose?

FluxWaveZ

whatever Atlus says at this point doesn't means anything.

I think it means plenty, given that they're a company actually involved. Unless they're straight up lying or giving empty promises, which I don't think they are.

It's not even an update. Nothing has changed since last week and what they said today. What they said today was a given and obvious. It's a non-news.

It's nothing of substance other than their word, no. But that word is what I have to go on. Last week, they said that their previously announced games' development would be unaffected (Atlus USA said the same) but they did not give any statement regarding the status of their company. Now they've come out and said that the Atlus brand will continue, so I have no reason to think otherwise.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Then why would they mention anything at all now when what they stated last week is that they would give fans an update on their situation when they can?

It's typical PR speak for this situation. It was also said that things would "go on as normal" immediately after the Disney purchase of all the Lucasfilm companies for example. We all know how that turned out.

NeonZ

Maybe they're already in talks with their future parent company, and that's why the statement got issued? They had already said before that their current activities wouldn't be interrupted to so it wouldn't make much sense to just repeat themselves.

FluxWaveZ

It's typical PR speak for this situation. It was also said that things would "go on as normal" immediately after the Disney purchase of all the Lucasfilm companies for example. We all know how that turned out.

I remember that. Though, I prefer the innocent before proven guilty stance, so I'll take their word for it until things actually explode.

XiaNaphryz

I remember that. Though, I prefer the innocent before proven guilty stance, so I'll take their word for it until things actually explode.

Innocence has nothing to do with it, it's just logic. They'll continue to operate as normal. If they end up being sold off to another company, they'll also continue to operate as normal until whoever buys them out decides what to do with them. If they don't get sold off, they halt development due to lack of funding.

FluxWaveZ

Innocence has nothing to do with it, it's just logic. They'll continue to operate as normal. If they end up being sold off to another company, they'll also continue to operate as normal until whoever buys them out decides what to do with them. If they don't get sold off, they halt development due to lack of funding.

Wait... what points of mine are you refuting here?

All I'm saying is that Atlus said that their brand would live on and that the development of their current games will be unaffected by this mess, so that's what I believe.

Sera O

Banned
The teams being intact and still working on full games is what I'm really worried about. Also, I would think that saying they are continuing with business as usual is something they kind of need to say as long as they are looking for a buyer, isn't it? Kind of like saying it will be business as usual until things change.

I wanna believe, though.

Lunar15

Errrrr, do they just mean through the games they have announced? I'm not sure about what grounds they're proclaiming this on.

kpjolee

I think any non-news is good news for Atlus..
I think there is only a very few companies capable of buying Index but doubt any company will be willing to cough up $200m+ debt.

XiaNaphryz

Wait... what points of mine are you refuting here?

All I'm saying is that Atlus said that their brand would live on and that the development of their current games will be unaffected by this mess, so that's what I believe.

What people are trying to say is that given the uncertainty surrounding them, such a stance is very short-term and shouldn't be indicative of anything long-term.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
"Finished things will be sold" is not exactly a shocker.

I'm more worried about continued development and their future, for which they say literally nothing. No relief here.

Sakura

I think Nintendo should just buy Atlus or something. It would probably be best for both companies.

Valnen

I think Nintendo should just buy Atlus or something. It would probably be best for both companies.

Any platform holder owning them would be awful for fans who might not be interested in the platform that buys them.

I don't want to buy a Wii U.

fates

Can we not go down this route in this thread too?

I wouldn't mind if Atlus went independent again, I think they can do it.

fates

The sooner the better. Some of us have been waiting since 2008.

I dunno what made some people think that P5 would come out right after 4. There was like a 6 year gap between P2 to 3, and they didn't have any remakes/ports of 2 or anime series/movies within that timespan either.

Eusis

Not inherently a nightmare situation (some of the other third parties or, say, Microsoft would be), but far from ideal. Atlus games vanish from PSN so third party games are lost and first party games need to be ported, and who knows how often they'd reliably localize.

Given the debts they have to other entertainment companies I wonder how far fetched the idea of Aniplex getting them to be their gaming division would be? Not sure that'd be great either though, especially given their treatment of US anime releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom