• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus Japan: Atlus brand will carry on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mohammed_Saeed_al-Sahaf.jpg

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Good to hear, still waiting for confirmation of P5 though...and hopefully eventually a DDS3 :)

FluxWaveZ

Think this is new. Atlus is reiterating that the brand will continue and they will continue to develop and sell Atlus consumer game products while saying that Devil Survivor 2: Break Record is still slated for a fall release.

Think this is new. Atlus is reiterating that the brand will continue and they will continue to develop and sell Atlus consumer game products while saying that Devil Survivor 2: Break Record is still slated for a fall release.
I think they are basically saying that there's enough money left over for them to survive this year. Luckily someone would already have bought them by then.

I'd stop waiting on the latter; the story's completely told. I'd be down for a game with the same mechanics, but not set in the same universe.
That is exactly what it would be. Would be freaking amazing if it happened.

Is there actually any new info on Atlus's fate? It's business as usual for them currently but that wouldn't last if they can't find new buyers.

Aeana

This is not correct. Next week, they will be having another round of bids for their sponsor. They're not going up for sale.
There's speculation that they'll have everything decided by early September. But this is not a significant update. Nothing to panic about.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
This is not correct. Next week, they will be having another round of bids for their sponsor. They're not going up for sale.
There's speculation that they'll have everything decided by early September. But this is not a significant update. Nothing to panic about.
Thank you for the correction.

When was the first round of bids?

Soriku

Looks like we're saved from another dumb Nintendo vs. Sony thread. Destructoid's comments section is not so fortunate.

If they find a good sponsor I can't imagine many tears, salty or otherwise. Well except for the people who really really want Nintendo or Sony to buy them out.

Atlus Japan: Because money, as it turns out, is pretty neat.

In all seriousness, they're a great developer and I'm glad (though not shocked) that they're soldiering on.

Stuart444

Gamesutra.

Seems like someone picked up the story from destructoid. Now I'm wondering how long til either the stories start 'disappearing' or people (that picked it up) apologize for the mistake.

edit: Nope, people are just going with what the destructoid article posted.

Didn't Index say that they were going to be selective when looking for sponsors? That sounds more favorable for Atlus than a straight up "highest bidder" effort.

Het_Nkik

So how long do they have to get everything sorted out before they may be forced to start selling off the games division and such?

I think there is only 2 main companies that we are aware of who would buy it, obviously Nintendo, but Sega as well.

Both Nintendo and Sega are creditors of Index, if I understand how this stuff works, it means that either one of them should have the opportunity to buy it if they want it, or at least possibly block others from buying it.

I think there is only 2 main companies that we are aware of who would buy it, obviously Nintendo, but Sega as well.

Both Nintendo and Sega are creditors of Index, if I understand how this stuff works, it means that either one of them should have the opportunity to buy it if they want it, or at least possibly block others from buying it.

I still say the most likely choice is GungHo. They have more than enough money to buy them and Atlus its right into their already purchased niche developers like Grasshopper and GameArts. Those expecting a first party to buy them will likely end up very disappointed.

Sega has absolutely no money. Why would they ever buy Atlus?

Sega has absolutely no money. Why would they ever buy Atlus?

Sega Sammy has A LOT of money. I don't know if they have a monopoly on the pachinko industry or they're just a big player in it, but people underestimate just how much they have. They could very likely buy Atlus in an instant if they wanted.

Takuhi

What makes you think that creditors would get preferential treatment when it comes to buying it? Why would they have the ability to block anything?

As other people are saying, Gung Ho is surely itching to get their hands on it and could make a very aggressive bid. It would seem to be a good fit with Namco Bandai as well.

reriel

I still say the most likely choice is GungHo. They have more than enough money to buy them and Atlus its right into their already purchased niche developers like Grasshopper and GameArts. Those expecting a first party to buy them will likely end up very disappointed.

GungHo is an interesting choice, if only because they have Hideyuki Yokoyama as Corporate Officer. Yokoyama was one of the Atlus's founders, and he worked there for many years.

Sega Sammy has A LOT of money. I don't know if they have a monopoly on the pachinko industry or they're just a big player in it, but people underestimate just how much they have. They could very likely buy Atlus in an instant if they wanted.

Sega Sammy has a lot of money. Sega itself does not. And considering how much money Sega has been losing lately, the last thing Sammy is going to want to do is take on another company that's losing money as well.

Jamix012

Sega Sammy has a lot of money. Sega itself does not. And considering how much money Sega has been losing lately, the last thing Sammy is going to want to do is take on another company that's losing money as well.

This needs to be dispelled once and for all. I keep seeing people claim either
A) Sega have no money
B) Sega Sammy have money, but most of it comes from the Sammy side.
Unfortunately I don't have numbers on hand, but I do remember seeing them in another thread and the gaming side was making more or similar (can't quite remember which) profit in recent years. I'm willing to eat crow if I see numbers, but I'm pretty sure Sega are doing pretty damn well for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom