• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) manga thread of TOTAL SPOILER PANDEMONIUM

kirblar

I think the Anime suggests (far more than the Manga) that Eren is in constant danger of slipping into the "titan brain" and becoming one of the primal titans due to his inability to control his emotions.

This arc definitely suggests even further that the primal titans are essentially T-Virus'd people. I loved the Ape Titan as an out-of-nowhere WTF moment and homage to Planet of the Apes.

The wall thing is easy to sync up. Just have it be reported in the morning to the MP, who relay it to the Recon team, everyone arrives, scene proceeds basically the same as before. Actually, you could then have the Recon team on top of the wall be the ones to receive the news from a courier they spot rushing towards the city.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Its a bit of a hard sell that Eren was a past Titan though isn't it? I mean, that level of coverup with a fake family and rendering his dead mum rage entirely moot and some emo "i am what i hate" saga down the line.

Also hoping Mikasa and Levi don't turn in to fucking titans either.

I love the 'void history' element of this series, but I am concerned the authors inexperience is going to send it careening into a wall of plot holes and stuff.

All the things with the priest and "I can't say, but this random girl can, aha!" was awful when surely they'd just torture the ever loving shit out of him to spill the beans. Instead they embark on a dangerous and bizarre fetch quest for her. Who I assume is also a past titan, or how can she be if theyre talking about her being a illegitimate mistress' baby? Urrrrrgh.

kirblar

Eren definitely wasn't a Titan in the past. He's just in danger of going into the same animal state that Ymir was trapped in, imo.

All the things with the priest and "I can't say, but this random girl can, aha!" was awful when surely they'd just torture the ever loving shit out of him to spill the beans. Instead they embark on a dangerous and bizarre fetch quest for her. Who I assume is also a past titan, or how can she be if theyre talking about her being a illegitimate mistress' baby? Urrrrrgh.
The implication is that his family will face serious consequences if he talks, while she won't because she doesn't have one. Hopefully they do a better job with this than the Manga did.

Peco

Episode 25 was a total disappointment for me, they handled the whole thing horribly.

EDIT: LOL I don't know why I posted here.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The implication is that his family will face serious consequences if he talks, while she won't because she doesn't have one. Hopefully they do a better job with this than the Manga did.

I see, thanks for clarifying some stuff there. That of course is at complete odds with the rest of the more realistic aspect of sacrifices and stuff in the series when the dudes entire congregation got crushed by battle bullshit not too long before. Levi throwing his crews bodies as bait, Erwin sacrificing hundreds of soldiers, but some Priest dudes family might get in hot water so hands off this big cheese! He's got his incredibly vague and totally not water-tight reasons!

Generally it seems like the author was a bit confused on and the how and whys to get Eren and co to specific places in the now post-anime first season stuff with the incredibly fluid transition from "we're off to plug a hole!" to "need to find dat girl!" stuff. At the conclusion of this current scuffle assuming stuff resolves in a fairly "can draw a line under dose bastids" way in like 4 chapters time, I'd say they could actually pop out maybe a 16 ep 2nd season by this point simply due to how incredibly abridged and terribly paced the manga is with drop in flashbacks and totally missing segments. Ending seeasons on the "final boss fights" with human titans makes the most sense to me.

rexor0717

I think when considering the origin of the titans, its important the remember that the vast majority of titans are male. So for whatever reason, females weren't affected by the transformation or just weren't subjected to it in the first place. This leads me to believe that titans used to be soldiers (before the world was fucked.) I'm sure that before the need to have everyone serve, the armies were probably exclusively male.

kirblar

I see, thanks for clarifying some stuff there. That of course is at complete odds with the rest of the more realistic aspect of sacrifices and stuff in the series when the dudes entire congregation got crushed by battle bullshit not too long before. Levi throwing his crews bodies as bait, Erwin sacrificing hundreds of soldiers, but some Priest dudes family might get in hot water so hands off this big cheese! He's got his incredibly vague and totally not water-tight reasons!

Generally it seems like the author was a bit confused on and the how and whys to get Eren and co to specific places in the now post-anime first season stuff with the incredibly fluid transition from "we're off to plug a hole!" to "need to find dat girl!" stuff. At the conclusion of this current scuffle assuming stuff resolves in a fairly "can draw a line under dose bastids" way in like 4 chapters time, I'd say they could actually pop out maybe a 16 ep 2nd season by this point simply due to how incredibly abridged and terribly paced the manga is with drop in flashbacks and totally missing segments. Ending seeasons on the "final boss fights" with human titans makes the most sense to me.
The civillian upper classes being soft is a big running theme.

NEO0MJ

Time to join manga master race. Never would have guesses the colossal's identity. Kinda funny, I was expecting him to be the big bad but not only is he just a soldier, there are others like him.

I think when considering the origin of the titans, its important the remember that the vast majority of titans are male. So for whatever reason, females weren't affected by the transformation or just weren't subjected to it in the first place. This leads me to believe that titans used to be soldiers (before the world was fucked.) I'm sure that before the need to have everyone serve, the armies were probably exclusively male.

There are plenty of female titans, but most of them have androgynous bodies. So far the only female titan which is recognizably female was Annie.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
My theory is that all of the deviants are human-Titans who have gone primal like Ymir had.

kirblar

My theory is that all of the deviants are human-Titans who have gone primal like Ymir had.
All the titans are people. It's why you have to kill them the way they do. Once Eren's ability was revealed, that part seemed pretty clear.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think there's probably a difference though, right? Connie's mum didn't seem to have done an Eren or an Annie, she seems to actually have turned into a Titan, rather than just be engulfed in a kind of Titan-suit. What I mean is that deviants are those like Eren or Ymir who retain the ability to turn back (even if they are too mad to remember).

NEO0MJ

I wonder what the significance of the titan that ate Eren's mom reappearing, obviously they're not going to have an epic battle as that one seems small, mindless and weak.

I think there's probably a difference though, right? Connie's mum didn't seem to have done an Eren or an Annie, she seems to actually have turned into a Titan, rather than just be engulfed in a kind of Titan-suit. What I mean is that deviants are those like Eren or Ymir who retain the ability to turn back (even if they are too mad to remember).

I think it takes more than being a deviant, as the one that bit Eren's leg ate a human and was still a mindless beast, even though it ate a human before. This things needs a lot of explanation.

Oh my gosh. I honestly thought this was the anime thread. I read something that wasn't that much of a spoiler but then thought to myself huh? that isn't something that I remember... Then I read something else which is more of a spoiler but still not that serious particularly because I was only half way paying attention. Then I look up and see manga thread of total spoiler pandemonium and think to myself umm wow. I'm just grateful that the posts I read weren't like megaton spoilers or anything. I unbelievably got away in the same fashion that a main character with plot armor does. The whole experience was like I saw something I thought was a human but then realized it was a titan. But umm anyway yeah bye. Won't be back.

I wonder what the significance of the titan that ate Eren's reappearing, obviously they're not going to have an epic battle as that one seems small, mindless and weak.

I think it takes more than being a deviant, as the one that bit Eren's leg ate a human and was still a mindless beast, even though it ate a human before. This things needs a lot of explanation.
First thing that comes to mind is Bleach's hollows, who had to devour more and more of their kind to gain power and sentience. I'm guessing one human isn't nearly enough.

First thing that comes to mind is Bleach's hollows, who had to devour more and more of their kind to gain power and sentience. I'm guessing one human isn't nearly enough.
That would make sense. Titans only partially mindless, desperately eating whatever they can to regain their humanity.

Hence maybe Ymir brutally slaughtered hundred or even thousands over the course of 60 years to get where she is today.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Huh? Did Ymir regain her consciousness by eating people? I must have missed that...

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Reiner and Bert had another person originally in their group, but Ymir ate him.

yeah, I remember that. I just don't see the link between her eating him and her regaining consciousness.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I thought it was because she ate Reiner's friend, who was a Titan Shifter?

is this actually explicitly stated? or is this just dot-joining? I'm rereading the chapters now and I can't find a part where this is explained.

kirblar

is this actually explicitly stated? or is this just dot-joining? I'm rereading the chapters now and I can't find a part where this is explained.
It would explain why they were so distant from Annie - she was likely the replacement for their buddy.

NEO0MJ

They mentioned how she regained consciousness after eating their old comrade.

NEO0MJ

After as in "some time after", not "directly after", right?

They never told exactly when she regained her mind, though it must have happened some time before they became recruits as she was already friends with Christa when we first saw her and even before that was spying around the city.. The process doesn't seem to take too long as they were talking about when Eren ate his first human, and he only transformed during the battle of Trost.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Eren ate someone? whaaaa? Who did Eren eat? I feel like you guys have been reading a whole different manga?

EDIT: Also, as far as I can work, it's just "some time after eating reiner and bert's pal, I regained consciousness", not "directly as consequence of eating reiner and bert's pal, I regained consciousness".

Eren didn't eat anybody (as far as we knw). Ymir said that she couldn't remember anybody she ate during the 60 year period, and Berthold and Reiner related that to Eren's memory loss when he first transformed at Trost.

NEO0MJ

Eren didn't eat anybody (as far as we knw). Ymir said that she couldn't remember anybody she ate during the 60 year period, and Berthold and Reiner related that to Eren's memory loss when he first transformed at Trost.

Oh. I thought they were speculating if Eren ate someone. I knew he didn't eat anyone, at least not yet.

Oh. I thought they were speculating if Eren ate someone. I knew he didn't eat anyone, at least not yet.

Huh, I checked and it's more ambiguous than I remember. Maybe the translation I read back then was off. Probably.

Anyway, it seemed like speculation, like they assumed that Eren's Titan powers worked like theirs and he possibly wandered around crazy eating people before turning back.

Check what he was doing right before the reveal that he was the Good Guy Titan...

?

You're going to have to point me to something specific here.

Erigu

?
You're going to have to point me to something specific here.
Eren's titan had just bitten the nape off the aberrant titan who had eaten Thomas earlier on. Then we have a panel of his eye widening, and he immediately collapses.

Random titans don't have anyone in their napes.
Are we sure about that? After all, they all share the same odd weak point, and the beast titan commented about how "they were in the nape".

They've already performed experiments on random titans.
True, but they were also trying not to kill them...
Also, that one particular titan was specifically said to be an aberrant, so maybe not so random...

kirblar

why do i feel bad for reiner bert and annie

is something wrong with me
They were used as child soldiers, and are thus victims of whatever larger war is going on as well. Reiner especially is definitely not a "true believer." (Bert, however, is.) He wants whatever's going on to just be over.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I'm hoping the remaining titan reveals will be handled better in the anime. Felt weird how Reiner and Bert just went "oh hey, we're titans btw" fairly out of the blue.

Erigu

I'm hoping the remaining titan reveals will be handled better in the anime. Felt weird how Reiner and Bert just went "oh hey, we're titans btw" fairly out of the blue.
I actually liked that. But that's absolutely not bombastic enough for Araki.

Bert and Ernie will reveal their Titan forms, then Titan Eren will defeat them by going literally insane and shooting a 20x Kaioken Kamehameha at their faces. Then he loses because Annie temporarily pops out of her crystal to throw Eren, Ymir, Bert, and Reiner into the giant tree forest, and then goes back into the crystal.

NEO0MJ

Then we have a panel of his eye widening, and he immediately collapses.
Also, that one particular titan was specifically said to be an aberrant, so maybe not so random...

Don't forget that Titan Eren lost his arms and was close to collapsing that particular scene, so biting the neck was all he could do. And I think his eyes widened because he completed his goal at the time, killing that titan.
Besides, I doubt the survey corps didn't try dissecting aberrant before.

Necrovex

Just caught up on the manga. Shit is intense, and not as bad as I expected particularly how Duckroll shat all over this manga when the anime began.

Though I laughed extremely hard when Reiner nonchalantly told Eren that he was the armored titan and Bertheld was the colossal titan. That's one way to have characters twist.

Irwin is also the biggest badass in this story.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Just caught up on the manga. Shit is intense, and not as bad as I expected particularly how Duckroll shat all over this manga when the anime began.

Though I laughed extremely hard when Reiner nonchalantly told Eren that he was the armored titan and Bertheld was the colossal titan. That's one way to have characters twist.

Irwin is also the biggest badass in this story.

I had to read that section a few times, lol. I thought Reiner was kidding or something.

I thought that scene like 12 chapters ago when Connie goes back to his home village gave a good indication that humans eventually become Titans somehow. Remember that titan he thought reminded him of his mom that was just staring at him?

The Reiner/Bert reveal was also pretty lame. I really thought it was a mistranslation or something. It really is weird to feel sympathetic towards mass murderers like those two but the author did a good job of making Reiner and Bert likable human characters that feel some sort of remorse. I wonder if they will ever switch sides.

HelloMeow

That ruined it for me.

After something like that, anything could happen. It completely lost its integrity for me.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I have to admit, weirdly my favourite character is now Armin. He's gone from being that "shut up, damn you, shut up!" character who is just completely feeble to be some sort of badass detective mastermind. Now I'm just waiting for him to go quasi-Batman and start using prep time to defeat everything.

LProtag

I have to admit, weirdly my favourite character is now Armin. He's gone from being that "shut up, damn you, shut up!" character who is just completely feeble to be some sort of badass detective mastermind. Now I'm just waiting for him to go quasi-Batman and start using prep time to defeat everything.

He's going to follow in Erwin's footsteps for sure. You can see it very clearly in this last chapter as you get his reaction first every time Erwin does something and he starts thinking about what Erwin would do in the situation he's in.

I also wonder just how many Titans are inside the walls. Or if theyre only within certain walls.

When Trost and the Erens village were breached, there were no signs of any titans inside. Same when they were fighting Reiner and Bert and the wall was getting wrecked left and right.

jett

D-Member
That ruined it for me.

After something like that, anything could happen. It completely lost its integrity for me.

It's a poorly written thing, there's no two ways around it. I didn't really enjoy much of the manga after chapter 34 since it switches its focus to characters I don't really care about. That whole business plus introducing another secret-that-can't-be-revealed, another is-an-important-character-but-we-can't-really-tell-you-why and yet another Eren-is-kidnapped-but-is-saved-yet-again episode seems like the author is just stalling for time because he isn't getting any new ideas. I foolishly thought the four guys would show up in the titan village after Mikasa said five hours had passed. What an idiot I am! Expecting some actual development in this thing. Clearly, I didn't learn from the anime.

I don't get why people don't like the way they handled the Bert and Ernie reveal. It was perfect. You're reading along, Hanji is going on about scouting and plans, blah blah blah, Bert and Ernie are the worst mass murders in history, Ymir's a Titan and we should figure out what to do with her, now that Christa's here it's time to interrog-

wait

what

Top Bottom