• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

m3r4

Dufter Typ taking lurking to the next level
The author has said that the manga's at the half-way point or a little past it and that he has no interest in having it go on too long in order to milk it.

... except there are a dozen spin-offs to take care of the milking.

Sorry to just jump into this thread, but at a glance I couldn't find anything about the following points. Has there been discussion on the idea that
a) the titans are basically just enemy soldiers from another civilization and b) there might be a wall beyond Maria?
Not even sure if the spoilers are necessary, but just to be sure...

I'm at episode 16. Especially the first point seems so plausible to me, but so far nobody has been able to agree with me...
Their light weight might imply that they are just blown-up regular dudes.

Also I really like the portrayal of the Titans in the show. Seeing as they are so close to "regular" humans, but then again not human at all really pushes the point of problematic "otherness" that we experience in the real world also.
Hanji trying to communicate with the Titans had a big impact on me.

Krixeus

I didn't realize this thread existed, so I'll just repost here.

Just finished the first season on Netflix. Hot damn, this anime is outstanding. The production is wonderful, animation is crisp, the art is extremely fitting...there is just so much good going on. A personal note I loved was the camera work during action scenes. It wasn't switching during vital points or to unnecessary angles to hide flaws and be cheap. Very fluid, and gave you a great sense of speed and scale. Jesus, I felt terrible each time a titan would hit, kick, bite...anything. It was always so physically impactful in it's depiction, and really gave you the idea that this was an extremely dire and dreadful situation. Battles with big vs small are always done horribly, which was a reason I'd held off on this to begin with. This show fixed this problem without fail in my opinion. Even the music, while not particularly memorable, was always well crafted and merged with the on screen content perfectly.

Definitely the best new anime series I've seen in a while as a whole. Just give one or two more seasons and end it. I'd hate for it to drag on for the sake of it.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Definitely one of the best anime I've seen in years.

Just watched the anime on Netflix over the last week after a friend recommended it and really enjoyed it. Only thing I wasn't really a fan of was the pacing, it felt fine when I was binge watching it but if I was watching it once a week it probably would have annoyed the hell out of me.

BraXzy

I just binge watched the whole thing in like 2 days. I loved it! While there were some things that I disliked, overall it was a blast to watch and kept me hooked most of the way through (slow section around episode 13 notwithstanding). A few things bothered me overall; I struggled to remember lots of the cast outside of main characters, which kinda lessened the impact of various deaths. I rarely watch anime's so the constant unneccesary yelling and all the other typical tropes sometimes irritated me. And then there were the odd blips in quality but that was due to scheduling.

But on the flip side, the majority of the series was kick ass with all the web swinging and Bitchin' Beyblade Badasses so I can't really complain. The constant despair and desperation felt throughout the show is brilliant, they constantly managed to convery the sense of dread characters felt due to the horrible threat they face. Quite gruesome at times but still. I do sometimes wish the series had gone a different path around episode 5 when it was still quite grounded but I'm still happy with how things have gone. I can't wait to see where this heads next. There are so many damn mysteries that are yet to be revealed and I have a billion questions but I suppose I will have to wait.

One thing though.. In the first OP there was a clip where a whole platoon of characters all leap up in unison in a town with Maneuver Gear on. Did I miss this or was it just for the opening and never showed up? It looked sick!

OP1>OP2

Has there been discussion on the idea that
a) the titans are basically just enemy soldiers from another civilization and b) there might be a wall beyond Maria?

If you read the manga there's a point that comes up regarding
a giant ape-like Titan that possibly has the ability to turn humans into Titans
, so you're somewhat on the mark there.

Personally I'm more curious about what this implies for the world setting at large, this could be
a story of the "natural order of things" and commentary of evolution and humanity's willingness to accept it is no longer the dominant species, and doing what it can to hold on to old relics of a bygone world that's no longer under their control.

The dub is so bad.
There's a lot of screaming in there but it's not "bad" per se. Eren's Titan form scream is really weak though.

Yes, that's an actual plot point from the manga.
It's also the one plot point they really need to explain. That and
Eren's pop's role in this whole thing

belushy

Banned
UE 4 Attack on Titan fan-game WIP link

Obviously placeholders everywhere. I like it, but I think the style he went with for Eren is a little too much on the realistic side.

MayMay

Banned
Watched it just now, its amazing. Best one yet until now - can't wait until Part 2 of that OVA. Not sure when it comes out tho.

That trailer was pretty cool. I just recommended this to my niece and thought I'd check on season 2 release date. Well that was a big mistake!

Wait has been long enough as it is, but at least it gives them time to get it perfect and forget what happens in the manga.

Does anyone know the best way to get No Regrets?

Vito

Banned
tumblr_nhpansSI4t1sqqtwzo1_r2_1280.jpg

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I just watched this myself, the last three days when I got home from work was watching through the first season, and I really quite enjoyed it. I haven't watched an anime show or film for about 10 years or so when Tenchi and DBZ was playing on Cartoon Network or Sci-Fi used to play an anime film quite late on a Saturday night every week that I used to stay up for.

I'm quite happy I randomly pressed on it though, thank to Netflix for seemingly only recently putting it up. Kinda bummed the second season is so far away though, that's the problem with binge watching a show like this, the long wait between seasons and then each episodes can be rather gruelling. Now I've never read a mange in my life, but after finishing the show I'm wondering if I should start or just wait the rest of the year out for the next season.

hepburn3d

woah, just randomly clicked this on Netflix this weekend. 16 episodes later I realize I'm addicted.

sub'd. Might have to purchase the manga as really can't see myself waiting, this stuff is too addictive

Sch1sm

woah, just randomly clicked this on Netflix this weekend. 16 episodes later I realize I'm addicted.

sub'd. Might have to purchase the manga as really can't see myself waiting, this stuff is too addictive

Incredibly addictive. I remember when I discovered it in March last year. I binge watched the entire thing in about 2 days and was sad there wasn't more. It was entertaining. Painfully obvious, but a good watch.

kirblar

Manga is good and retains the pace- the author has no plans to try and pull a Naruto/Bleach and milk it because it'd ruin it- the story is definitely past the halfway point in the Manga now.

Gila

I finished ep10 (Armin just convinced they can use Eren's powers for good and they have to head to the basement), but I really can't into this. Is it just not for me or does it surprisingly get way better?

kirblar

I finished ep10 (Armin just convinced they can use Eren's powers for good and they have to head to the basement), but I really can't into this. Is it just not for me or does it surprisingly get way better?
The best episodes are in the late teens/early 20s. Might want to see if you're into it once they get past the origin stuff.

I think it's not for your, if you don't like it after 10 eps.

EulaCapra

Just finished the season on Netflix. Not into that much anime but got caught in the hype and glad I joined. Weak-ass middle where it takes like 4 episodes to set off a Kamehameha but strong start and finishing arcs. I can't believe it resumes airing in 2016. NOT COOL

The shipping though... I like that all the gay shipping is so loud on the internet and are all canon (or implied with a wink) or totally out there like with Eren/Levi or Mikasa/Annie. The amount of Ymir/Krista and Jean/Marco on the internet is crazy especially with the latter since... you know. But I have seen the Reiner/Bertholdt love from the darkest corners of the internet and it's equal parts smutty and equal parts adorable and have seen the light.
VBwwpwL.png

The shipping though... I like that all the gay shipping is so loud on the internet and are all canon (or implied with a wink). The amount of Ymir/Krista and Jean/Marco on the internet is overwhelming. But I have seen the Reiner/Bertholdt love from the darkest corners of the internet and it's equal parts smutty and equal parts adorable and have seen the light.
VBwwpwL.png

Don't look into it. It's pretty heavily spoilerish.

The Jean/Marco thing is my favorite.

Kito

Season 1 finished. Blown away. What an exhilarating ride. Never thought I'd watch anime again after nothing clicked for me post-2011. Deciding if I want to read the manga or wait for Season 2...

P.S. The colossal titan immediately reminded me of incomplete susanoo.
It was then funny when to see that some titans are similarly controlled by people, can manifest partially, and evaporate into a skeleton before disappearing
. I'm avoiding spoilers so I refuse to google around - but I do wonder if Isayama was inspired by Naruto.

vareon

The series have weaknesses and faults, particularly the anime, but I really love the impact AoT has given to the community. 2013 was a really great year with many people, including those who didn't watch anime, talks about this. Fun moments. Hopefully season 2 brings the hype again.

It's been two years, huh. Should we be expecting a second season announcement this year?

The next season will probably be high budget, and I'm sure they may be skipping and rewriting many parts of the Manga. The manga was really fresh when the Anime started so I doubt they knew what direction it went. Give it time to bake.

wmlk

The next season will probably be high budget, and I'm sure they may be skipping and rewriting many parts of the Manga. The manga was really fresh when the Anime started so I doubt they knew what direction it went. Give it time to bake.

It's gonna be interesting to see where the anime finishes off for the second season. I feel like where we are now in the manga is really high tension.

It's gonna be interesting to see where the anime finishes off for the second season. I feel like where we are now in the manga is really high tension.

I know this isn't the right thread so I'll just say this
If the anime season 2 doesn't chop out some of the weak happenings at the beginning of where the anime left off, and doesn't cover recent events in the manga and maybe a bit into the future, it will be seen as a huge letdown

kirblar

There's no reason to cut anything. It's a cash cow, it's not going to be running forever (we're past the halfway point, apparently), and there's really just not much fluff in the series.

Kito

So I rewatched the first episode to check out the dub version, and there's a detail I completely forgot about Eren's father: he cured the plague. This leads me to a theory about the titans...

Soriku

Damn at the second Levi OVA. I didn't know he had feelings.

Isabel's head lying in a pool of blood was brutal. Of course they had to show his friends ripped to pieces lol. Levi cut that titan into ribbons.

Meier

I finally got around to watching this show via Netflix (this is I think the first non-Watanabe show I've watched in full in 5 years or more) and I enjoyed it but I thought the second half was kind of a slog in comparison to the way the show started. Have to say, I was frankly in awe of the first 5 or 6 episodes culminating in Eren getting eaten. I was amazed that a show would kill off characters that had been in focus so easily. Obviously things changed shortly thereafter. Definitely will watch more in the future if given the chance, but my initial response was definitely not lived up to throughout the series.

I saw on Wiki that there are 5 OVAs. Does anyone know if they're streamable legally? And is any new ground actually covered?

I finally got around to watching this show via Netflix (this is I think the first non-Watanabe show I've watched in full in 5 years or more) and I enjoyed it but I thought the second half was kind of a slog in comparison to the way the show started. Have to say, I was frankly in awe of the first 5 or 6 episodes culminating in Eren getting eaten. I was amazed that a show would kill off characters that had been in focus so easily. Obviously things changed shortly thereafter. Definitely will watch more in the future if given the chance, but my initial response was definitely not lived up to throughout the series.

I saw on Wiki that there are 5 OVAs. Does anyone know if they're streamable legally? And is any new ground actually covered?

Will be awhile, they are at least releasing one sub only dvd only with an upcoming manga volume,

The other ones are releasing from funi soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom