• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

I would expect 4, maayyybe 5 seasons at most. The Manga's at the halfway point and should have enough content for S2 now.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
If it is they're going to have to cut out a ton of content from the manga to reach a conclusion by next season.

I would expect 4, maayyybe 5 seasons at most. The Manga's at the halfway point and should have enough content for S2 now.

4-5 seasons? Shiiiiittt :O

I had no idea this was going to last so many seasons. For some reason I had it in my head that it was only going to be two seasons long. (after thinking it was a one and done while I was in the process of watching it)

Necrovex

I had no idea this was going to last so many seasons. For some reason I had it in my head that it was only going to be two seasons long. (after thinking it was a one and done while I was in the process of watching it)

Attack on Titan had two seasons already. A whole season of anime tends to consist of 13 episodes. Of course, there are exceptions to this rule, but I believe AoT follows it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Attack on Titan had two seasons already. A whole season of anime tends to consist of 13 episodes. Of course, there are exceptions to this rule, but I believe AoT follows it.

So the batch of episodes on Netflix is actually the first two seasons? Ohhh that makes more sense.

kirblar

Oh, yeah, I meant "26" ep seasons. It's still probably in the 5-8 range for 13-ep ones.

Mononoke

Banned

If it's following Season 1s format, there won't be enough manga material for a full Season 2 until Feb 2015. I actually think this show will only have 4 seasons. But at the current rate, I wouldn't expect the final season to air until 2019.

I think Season 2 will probably air in the second half of 2015. But it depends how soon they start production into 2014/ beginning of 2015. And the format (if they split it up with cours, it could air sooner).

Erigu

And how many episodes/seasons do they usually release per year? Is it the usual one season (13 eps) per year like in the US?
Maybe this post will clarify a bit how these things work in Japan.

The first series covered 7.5 volumes of the original comic, out of (at this moment) 14 volumes and some change.
Based on comments from the author, it looks like there will be a bit over 20 volumes when all is said and done.

Mononoke

Banned
Maybe this post will clarify a bit how these things work in Japan.

The first series covered 7.5 volumes of the original comic, out of (at this moment) 14 volumes and some change.
Based on comments from the author, it looks like there will be a bit over 20 volumes when all is said and done.

Pretty much. Splitting it up into cours would allow them to jump ahead with production even if they don't have enough manga material to fill out the rest of the season. At this point, it won't be until Feb 2015 that there will be enough material for a full second season.

I still think even if they do it in cours, it won't be until later 2015 for the first half though.

Erigu

Looks like they're adapting the Levi spin-off. Two episodes, due to be included in volumes 15 and 16 of the main comic (December 9, 2014, and April 9, 2015).

Just finished watching it and I must say this is the best OVA yet.

And BTW,
where the fuck was Ymir when all this was happening? She would have gone Liam Neeson their asses if she was with the group.

And oh yeah..
Marco.... :'( *feels*

Squalor

God, the wait until August 2015 for season two is unbearable.

It's a good thing there have been some great anime the last couple of seasons and this season.

Alpha_eX

I got about 18 episodes in before giving up, the kid that cries all the time REALLY grates and the fact they all just stand around and talk while the town is getting smashed to bits is daft.

Too much crying, too much talking. Really like the concept, it interests me and I am curious enough just to spoil it by reading summaries to find out what is going on.

So i dont watch anime at all but my younger brother lent me Attack on Titan, and needless to say, im hooked. I have watched the collection 1 on Blu-Ray
image__77332_zoom.jpg

From what i can recall, this has 13 or 14 episodes, but I checked an episode list that has 25 or something. Is there a second collection out somewhere? Im in Australia, so all i could find was an October release date, which sucks if I have to wait that long.

Hamlet

So i dont watch anime at all but my younger brother lent me Attack on Titan, and needless to say, im hooked. I have watched the collection 1 on Blu-Ray
image__77332_zoom.jpg

From what i can recall, this has 13 or 14 episodes, but I checked an episode list that has 25 or something. Is there a second collection out somewhere? Im in Australia, so all i could find was an October release date, which sucks if I have to wait that long.

Yeah Attack on Titans first season is 25 episodes and for the bluray they split it up into two parts for the English dub release
The second part doesn't come out in Australia till October 15th

All the Subtilted episodes are available here for Aussie viewers http://www.animelab.com/shows/attack-on-titan
No English dub though

TuXx

I was done with this anime the moment Eren discovers he has superpowers and Eren is also one of the worst main characters I've ever seen in a anime. Dude is one dimensional and always has one emotion through out the entire show "I'm always angry and I want to kill Titans!!!"

The show portrays Eren as someone who has this great passion to destroy all the Titans. It was interesting at first to see just how he would go about doing this and to see how he can convert that passion into actual results, but then the show gives him bail out powers where any jackoff can go and do serious damage and save the day.

Renzoku

Banned
So I just marathoned this on Netflix a few days ago.

Is something wrong with me for thinking this was pretty lousy? At first I thought it was going for either a Nazi/Jew or Israel/Palestine sort of allegory, and then it completely falls apart with scenes where characters regurgitate the same general idea ten different times, and a bunch of pointless shit happens leading to nothing.

And here I thought I was in for a treat.

Eren, and most of the main characters are also pretty god damn insufferable.

The only part of the show I really liked was the intro of the original theme, where they go "Sind Sie das Essen? Nein, wir sind die Jäger!"

:\

belushy

Banned
So I just marathoned this on Netflix a few days ago.

Is something wrong with me for thinking this was pretty lousy? At first I thought it was going for either a Nazi/Jew or Israel/Palestine sort of allegory, and then it completely falls apart with scenes where characters regurgitate the same general idea ten different times, and a bunch of pointless shit happens leading to nothing.

And here I thought I was in for a treat.

Eren, and most of the main characters are also pretty god damn insufferable.

The only part of the show I really liked was the intro of the original theme, where they go "Sind Sie das Essen? Nein, wir sind die Jäger!"

:\

The melodrama definitely doesn't appeal to everyone. There are some who love AoT and people who despise it. It is hard to say why I enjoyed the series so much, but I definitely understand why people might not favor it that much. I guess the melodrama and screaming every five seconds doesn't bother me.

Also Opening 2 >

Just watched season 1 on Netflix. Loved this show. Haven't been this hooked on an anime since Patlabor.

Two questions: what's a good show to get into that's similar in quality? If I want to read the manga where's the best place to start that picks up after season 1 ended?

phaze

Just watched season 1 on Netflix. Loved this show. Haven't been this hooked on an anime since Patlabor.

Two questions: what's a good show to get into that's similar in quality? If I want to read the manga where's the best place to start that picks up after season 1 ended?

Fate/Zero is very well regarded and similarly dark/grim. Mind that it can get overtalky but bear with it. Second season is several notches better than the first.

RPGCrazied

I'm on episode 15 on the dub, its not bad. I can continue watching the dub on adult swim, or finish watching the anime on netflix subbed. Hmm, decisions.

Thank you.

For those who finished watching the anime, and avoiding manga spoilers, at then end of the shows credits there's a scene
where a crack appeared on the wall and a Titan was inside. Was this an actual thing or artistic Liberty?

Yes, that's an actual plot point from the manga.

Thank you.

For those who finished watching the anime, and avoiding manga spoilers, at then end of the shows credits there's a scene
where a crack appeared on the wall and a Titan was inside. Was this an actual thing or artistic Liberty?

I haven't read the manga,
but I believe they showed in the manga as well, except the reveal was done differently.

dani_dc

Found this image awhile ago, thought it was super cute
plus it features the two best girls.

sasha__just_drop_the_potato__by_mistiqarts-d6akqhv.jpg

Thank you.

That was actually one of the things I was wondering about when I first saw the series.
Finding the answer got me to just go ahead and read the manga.

No manga spoilers.

Not really a spoiler though, just a confirmation that something that was on the anime was also on the manga.

I didn't realize this thread existed, so I'll just repost here.

Just finished the first season on Netflix. Hot damn, this anime is outstanding. The production is wonderful, animation is crisp, the art is extremely fitting...there is just so much good going on. A personal note I loved was the camera work during action scenes. It wasn't switching during vital points or to unnecessary angles to hide flaws and be cheap. Very fluid, and gave you a great sense of speed and scale. Jesus, I felt terrible each time a titan would hit, kick, bite...anything. It was always so physically impactful in it's depiction, and really gave you the idea that this was an extremely dire and dreadful situation. Battles with big vs small are always done horribly, which was a reason I'd held off on this to begin with. This show fixed this problem without fail in my opinion. Even the music, while not particularly memorable, was always well crafted and merged with the on screen content perfectly.

Definitely the best new anime series I've seen in a while as a whole. Just give one or two more seasons and end it. I'd hate for it to drag on for the sake of it.

dani_dc

I didn't realize this thread existed, so I'll just repost here.

Just finished the first season on Netflix. Hot damn, this anime is outstanding. The production is wonderful, animation is crisp, the art is extremely fitting...there is just so much good going on. A personal note I loved was the camera work during action scenes. It wasn't switching during vital points or to unnecessary angles to hide flaws and be cheap. Very fluid, and gave you a great sense of speed and scale. Jesus, I felt terrible each time a titan would hit, kick, bite...anything. It was always so physically impactful in it's depiction, and really gave you the idea that this was an extremely dire and dreadful situation. Battles with big vs small are always done horribly, which was a reason I'd held off on this to begin with. This show fixed this problem without fail in my opinion. Even the music, while not particularly memorable, was always well crafted and merged with the on screen content perfectly.

Definitely the best new anime series I've seen in a while as a whole. Just give one or two more seasons and end it. I'd hate for it to drag on for the sake of it.

Shouldn't be an issue with the dragging, the anime covered the first 8 Volumes of the manga, right now the manga is half way through Vol. 15, from what I hear it's supposed to be running around 20-25 Volumes.
At that pace we'll be getting two more seasons out of it (I imagine Season 2 at some point next year and a Season 3 in 2017-2018).

Shouldn't be an issue with the dragging, the anime covered the first 8 Volumes of the manga, right now the manga is half way through Vol. 15, from what I hear it's supposed to be running around 20-25 Volumes.
At that pace we'll be getting two more seasons out of it (I imagine Season 2 at some point next year and a Season 3 in 2017-2018).
I was talking more about the pacing of the story. It's so good, and I just don't want them to stretch it then. I have no idea what's happening in the manga, but I'm hoping it's a more self contained story as opposed to an on going one that ends up being hundreds of eps. What you are talking about doing just fine :)

kirblar

I was talking more about the pacing of the story. It's so good, and I just don't want them to stretch it then. I have no idea what's happening in the manga, but I'm hoping it's a more self contained story as opposed to an on going one that ends up being hundreds of eps. What you are talking about doing just fine :)
The author has said that the manga's at the half-way point or a little past it and that he has no interest in having it go on too long in order to milk it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom