• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This series got me to buy manga for the first time in many years. So pumped for the anime. Pretty inventive thread title. works well.

This series got me to buy manga for the first time in many years. So pumped for the anime. Pretty inventive thread title. works well.
Would you recommend it? I haven't bought a new manga in years, this looks interesting. My favorites are either finished or very slow/inconsistent (Berserk)

Dennis

Banned
Watched the first episode - was excellent. But the long wait between episodes makes it tempting to get the manga.....

It's promising, but I found the protagonist to be incredibly annoying and the heavy handed grimdark stuff was cheesy and eye-roll worthy. I laughed at
that terrible arm scene and parts of the ending too.
If this episode was aiming for a serious, foreboding tone, it failed and I had real trouble taking it seriously. It's not surprising that this is from the director of Guilty Crown.

Hopefully things will improve once we get beyond introduction stage, but Eren worries me. I'm sure he'll be broken down, but that sort of angst can be just as cringe-inducing as his whiny naivety.

Would you recommend it? I haven't bought a new manga in years, this looks interesting. My favorites are either finished or very slow/inconsistent (Berserk)

Yes, I'd say anyone who's enjoyed any shonen series or apocalypse-style stories should give it a try. Goes relatively light on shonen-style tropes. I guess this backfires sometimes- the relatively mundane characters (by shonen standards) makes it easier to lose track of minor characters b/t books. That's not exactly a problem with something like one piece or naruto, where everyone has a clear gimmick or role ("dude with bugs" or "sentient animal and medic" versus "one of a dozen normal young human recruits for the army"). I think the art style and how infrequently I read it may also play a part in that. Am I wrong to call it

Despite that problem, I really enjoy the desperation and horror of humanity's situation, and the mysteries established as time progresses. Action scenes are also pretty good. None of the problem of "I can't tell who's hurting what, and how" that happens really easily in way-too-busy b&w art, imo.

Defuser

How is this like Spiderman?

ibpI4xaDCLV5Jb.gif

abic

Banned
I stopped actively keeping up with new manga and anime after 2007 and Attack on Titan is a really surprising discovery. And this is coming from someone who's read probably close to a thousand manga and have watched more than a hundred anime series..

What a bold concept, and what ruthless execution against it. Really gripping idea and every step of the way so far has been very engaging. Brilliant.

Someone was talking about Berserk and my reading the manga/watching the anime kind of felt like that freshness, but Attack on Titan is significantly more bold and imaginative.

LogicStep

This is a weekly anime? From the trailer the production values seem to be high as shit. Looked like a movie trailer to me just going by the art style and animation. Never heard of this before, want to watch.

789shadow

Banned
Just a word of warning for those of you who have no idea what you're in for.

This show will be "It Got Worse: The Series." Just when you think it couldn't possibly get any worse, that the characters couldn't possibly be more screwed, it gets worse.

This show will be "It Got Worse: The Series." Just when you think it couldn't possibly get any worse, that the characters couldn't possibly be more screwed, it gets worse.

I was pretty much expecting this after hearing how similar it is to Muv Luv.

Herla

Sounds good to me, after the promising first episode I was afraid it would turn into a new SAO.
Too bad it's an adaptation, I'll probably get everything spoiled by the time I reach the third episode...

Qvoth

yep
the minds blown... WILL BE EPIC

Necrovex

That preview looked amazing. It's a pity that this show probably won't be on CR (I love watching anime in glorious 1080p, and this looks like a looker to boot). But I'll find an alternative way to watch it. I will watch the first episode when I find the time.

I have such great doubts concerning Berserk and if it will ever be completed.

Also OT spoiler question concerning Berserk and its current status in the story:
Has Guts and crew finally reach that god damn fairy island?

Dali

Is the anime thread in off-topic community now? That would explain why I haven't watched any anime since Tsuritama...

Lol, yeah I keep forgetting about it too. Seriously the death of that thread for me was it moving to community. I used to see it randomly whenever the new season of shows was upon us and look at things I may want to watch. Like I never would have known about this awesomeness or the Witch Academy thing without someone making a thread for them in regular off topic.

Kurita

Lol, yeah I keep forgetting about it too. Seriously the death of that thread for me was it moving to community. I used to see it randomly whenever the new season of shows was upon us and look at things I may want to watch. Like I never would have known about this awesomeness or the Witch Academy thing without someone making a thread for them in regular off topic.

Visit the thread when you feel like it, we're friendly!

That was pretty good.
Eren was fucking annoying for the first half though, his incessant yelling is warranted towards the end, but that first half it was irritating, and I found the dialogue as a whole a bit cheesy.
The art is great, I like the stylized lines and whatnot, could have done without the awful 3D though. The music was good, it helped to set the tone a good degree.
I'll check out the next episode, would be good to have a second show to watch alongside The Flowers of Evil.

Dali

Auto-subscribing to every thread I post in completely changed how I browse GAF.

I've had this set since the search and all the user features were removed. Years now. I'm subscribed to over 2000 threads, lol. Before they started putting the anime threads in community my posting waned and eventually stopped all together so the auto-subscribe doesn't help. I still read them though. I may just have to manually subscribe.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I've had this set since the search and all the user features were removed. Years now. I'm subscribed to over 2000 threads, lol. Before they started putting the anime threads in community my posting waned and eventually stopped all together so the auto-subscribe doesn't help. I still read them though. I may just have to manually subscribe.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=529884

Just post in here once to say hi.

Grzi

Can't wait to watch this later, seeing everyone's impressions in the OP almost brought a tear to my eye since I've been neglecting AnimeGAF and anime in general lately. That will change soon though.

NomarTyme

Need Mikasa chasing after the bully gif.

Can't wait to watch this later, seeing everyone's impressions in the OP almost brought a tear to my eye since I've been neglecting AnimeGAF and anime in general lately. That will change soon though.
Watch Hataraku Maou-sama! too!

Branduil

You know, the first episode was pretty much a straight retelling of the first one-and-a-half chapters, but one of the changes that is really interesting is that they showed us parts of Eren's dream; that didn't happen in the manga. I wonder if that's some of the "original content" the author is helping with.

A few other additions I noticed:

-The Priest of the Wall Cult preaching on the street.
-Various world-building shots depicting the city.
-Eren's mom commenting on the firewood.

I should give this a watch, because I'm following the manga, and while the plot is pretty compelling, the art's ugly as shit. You don't get the impression that these kids are capable of some pretty superhuman shit because they're mostly just standing around, or the roof hopping scenes are scaled out too far for readers to get a proper impression of what's happening.

obin_gam

I sort of liked it. Very annoying protagonist to the point I hope he dies, but the concept is great and it was truly gorgeous to look at so I'll probably watch the second episode to see if there is value in it.

With Brandy hyping the heck out of this show, I was expecting it to impress me.

Color me rather disappointed with the first episode. I'll probably keep watching, but talk about hyperbole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom