• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't this show basically evangelion?

Humans matched up against chaotic evil monsters in a losing battle, and the only hope are fellow humans that can fight the monsters on equal footing by becoming one?

I liked episode one. I hope it becomes darker.

I thought to be an evangelion clone it needs some human instrumentation and some high philosophical language (something like Guilty Crown or Rinne no Lagrange).

Cloudy

Banned
Oooh I read a big spoiler while looking for an image to set as my desktop background

Humans can go in titan form? WTF lol

Branduil

The manga is really popular so lots of spoilers are floating around everywhere. Even just the wikipedia article is full of unmarked, gigantic spoilers. I tried to keep the OP as informative and relatively spoiler-free as possible so that people don't have to go looking elsewhere for info, but I can't do anything about art.

Cloudy

Banned
I'm going to start reading the manga tomorrow. I can't wait weekly for this lol

PS: I really hope they don't pull a Claymore and end the anime abruptly

Jarmel

Banned
The worst thing about the writing is how he puts together the story honestly. It just uses convoluted fast-foward + flashback techniques which only serve to make certain events more "shocking" than they actually are, but without any benefit to actual narrative flow. It's a cheap technique which the author recycles over and over, and it becomes more laughable when he decides to reveal something surprising in every other chapter and does so in really stupid ways.

Yep, I noticed that too. I think it might work better animated though but yea it really fucks up the flow. It's almost amateurish the way he uses them.

I'm going to start reading the manga tomorrow. I can't wait weekly for this lol

PS: I really hope they don't pull a Claymore and end the anime abruptly

It's going to happen. The anime will catch up quickly and the manga isn't ending any time soon. It's pretty much already semi-confirmed it will be 24-26 episodes.

The absolute best you can hope for is it does extremely well to the point where another season is possible. However, even if that were the case, they would have to keep the series faithful and not give it an original ending. Since there's not any good stopping points, that would mean it would end on a cliffhanger, which is never fun.

Just watched. Follows the manga pretty well from what I remember of the beginning.

The ending was the best part. They handled that very well.

The only over-dramatic part I could find that would match the complaints is the part where
the legion soldier says how they failed completely after the mother asks about if her son's death served mankind.

Other than that, there was nothing over-dramatic in the entire 26 minute episode. If people are seriously peeved over a 10 second clip then that means the show is pretty good if that is all some people can complain about.

Jarmel

Banned
It's going to happen. The anime will catch up quickly and the manga isn't ending any time soon. It's pretty much already semi-confirmed it will be 24-26 episodes.

The absolute best you can hope for is it does extremely well to the point where another season is possible. However, even if that were the case, they would have to keep the series faithful and not give it an original ending. Since there's not any good stopping points, that would mean it would end on a cliffhanger, which is never fun.

I would rather them do a cliffhanger then an anime-original. That said, anime-original is almost certainly coming due to the length.

Branduil

Cliffhangers are plenty fun. Like I said before the series started, I think chapter 34 would be the best place to end it, and if the pacing of the first episode is any indication that's right about where they would end up.

kai3345

Banned
Clicked on this thread thinking this was an actual Spiderman/Godzilla/Band of Brothers crossover.

I leave disappointed

I haven't read the manga yet, or watched the first episode, but I have a question for manga readers. Is their any comedy in this show? I know this show is all about the drama, action, and horror but I just want to know if they throw even a teensy bit of comedy in the show or manga. I just like comedy in my shows so just hearing that it even has small jokes would be nice.

A good example would be Btoom, it was serious almost 95% of the time but still threw some comedy in every once in a while.

So i know it doesn't have the comedy genre on the anime or manga, but I'm just curious before jumping in.

Ken

I haven't read the manga yet, or watched the first episode, but I have a question for manga readers. Is their any comedy in this show? I know this show is all about the drama, action, and horror but I just want to know if they throw even a teensy bit of comedy in the show or manga. I just like comedy in my shows so just hearing that it even has small jokes would be nice.

A good example would be Btoom, it was serious almost 95% of the time but still threw some comedy in every once in a while.

So i know it doesn't have the comedy genre on the anime or manga, but I'm just curious before jumping in.

Potato Girl.

Branduil

i3y1ovajfpIpu.jpg

Soma

There's some humor to be found. There's that one potato scene but I really don't want to sound like i'm overhyping it.

99% of the time though, it's mostly DESPAIR

kuroshiki

Watched first episode.

That was some bad ass air dynamic battle in the beginning and god the quality is just.... holy shit. This is some movie quality here.

Good job on the OP, you probably spent more time making it than the author did planning the story for this garbage. I'm really interested to see people's inevitable, inenviable spiral into despair as this thing that starts out as bad-art Gantz fails to meet even the most basic storytelling expectations. It's transparent, it's derivative and generally of low quality, but in such a starved environment I imagine that it'll see mixed-to-positive success.

Happy viewing, everyone! Hopefully some of you last long enough to shit up the manga thread with the best of them.

<3<3<3

Jarmel

Banned
Do you really think they're only planning on making 25 episodes ever? :p

Yes. If there was more material, probably not. The longer the show, the more likely for an anime-original ending(assuming that the source is unfinished). Now whether that is due to a lack of material or something in regards to the production committees where they want a complete product, I don't know.

I just saw the first episode and i gotta say that its going to be hard to go to sleep at night now. I literally was scared crapless when they showed that titan smiling when the soldier looked at him. The animation was flawless and the action scene at the start was amazing, because it looked like that is what the action is going to look like from now on which is good.

The ending of the first episode was kinda
graphic with the giant pulling her head off, but I'll still watch. At least that means she was dead before the giant ate her so she didn't die a as painful death.

That smile is gonna haunt me for the rest of my life so people refrain from posting pics of that.
*waits for people to post pics of the smile* lol

duckroll

Yes. If there was more material, probably not. The longer the show, the more likely for an anime-original ending(assuming that the source is unfinished). Now whether that is due to a lack of material or something in regards to the production committees where they want a complete product, I don't know.

I think you're wrong. :)

Branduil

Well, let's say the series ends at about chapter 34. When the series ends, the manga should be at around 49 chapters. If they wait a couple of years, there should be enough material to produce another season. Rinse/repeat indefinitely until the manga ends.

I just saw the first episode and i gotta say that its going to be hard to go to sleep at night now. I literally was scared crapless when they showed that titan smiling when the soldier looked at him. The animation was flawless and the action scene at the start was amazing, because it looked like that is what the action is going to look like from now on which is good.

The ending of the first episode was kinda
graphic with the giant pulling her head off, but I'll still watch. At least that means she was dead before the giant ate her so she didn't die a as painful death.

That smile is gonna haunt me for the rest of my life so people refrain from posting pics of that.
*waits for people to post pics of the smile* lol

That scene was pretty faithful to the manga and its effect.

duckroll

Well, let's say the series ends at about chapter 34. When the series ends, the manga should be at around 49 chapters. If they wait a couple of years, there should be enough material to produce another season. Rinse/repeat indefinitely until the manga ends.

I think some people don't realize how huge Shingeki is in Japan as a franchise launch right now. There's a ton of money pouring into expanding it beyond the manga. They were supposed to have a live action movie out this year, but the director quit over creative differences and its been pushed back to 2014 while they find someone else to helm it. Considering how the anime BD/DVD pre-orders exploded after the series started on the weekend, it would be really foolish to bet on anything but an ongoing media plan for all things Shingeki related.

Branduil

I think some people don't realize how huge Shingeki is in Japan as a franchise launch right now. There's a ton of money pouring into expanding it beyond the manga. They were supposed to have a live action movie out this year, but the director quit over creative differences and its been pushed back to 2014 while they find someone else to helm it. Considering how the anime BD/DVD pre-orders exploded after the series started on the weekend, it would be really foolish to bet on anything but an ongoing media plan for all things Shingeki related.

How big are the preorders?

Soooo filler arcs? Domestic life side stories! Suicidally depressed human people causing trouble! Training exercises!

Jarmel

Banned
We'll see how fast they burn through the material. The manga is action oriented and so stuff that might take up pages in a manga, can be burnt through very fast. The latest chapter is a perfect example. Now they could extend the action sequences, so we'll see.

duckroll

How big are the preorders?

It's way too early to actually have any forecast numbers right now, but it's currently hovering around the last two Girls und Panzer volumes on Amazon Japan. What that generally means is that it has pretty high mindshare among the people placing orders right now.

We'll see how fast they burn through the material. The manga is action oriented and so stuff that might take up pages in a manga, can be burnt through very fast. The latest chapter is a perfect example. Now they could extend the action sequences, so we'll see.

They're going to go pretty slow. Based on the first 5 episodes titles from Newtype, they're going through the first 5-6 chapters of the manga really slowly. :p

Branduil

Well there's supposedly going to be some original material created with oversight from Isayama. And Araki is certainly capable of drawing out action scenes beyond what they were in the manga. I think a pacing of about 1.5 chapters per episode could certainly work.

Dresden

Soooo filler arcs? Domestic life side stories! Suicidally depressed human people causing trouble! Training exercises!

Well, if there's original material in the show, it'll probably happen as flashbacks. Before whatever they do for the ending, anyways.

That could take decades. Besides, what's the most seasons a non long-running ongoing anime series has gotten? 4? This would probably need like 10.

They could adapt the school comedy spin-off.

Edit: GODDAMMIT DUCK

Jarmel

Banned
They're going to go pretty slow. Based on the first 5 episodes titles from Newtype, they're going through the first 5-6 chapters of the manga really slowly. :p

Well episode 1 already burned through half of chapter 2. I do expect the later sequence in 2 to be expanded, possibly greatly, so that it correlates with the ending of chapter 2.

Branduil

That could take decades. Besides, what's the most seasons a non long-running ongoing anime series has gotten? 4? This would probably need like 10.

Why would that be a problem, as long as the series is popular and still making money? I doubt it would need 10 seasons though.

Jarmel

Banned

____monogatari(Shaft) comes to mind. That shit is going to have seven or eight seasons when all is said or done.

Why would that be a problem, as long as the series is popular and still making money? I doubt it would need 10 seasons though.

Depends. The manga feels like it's really really early on.

duckroll

It would need 10 seasons if cosmicblizzard were directing it. That's what he says for every single shounen series. :p

I don't know, it just doesn't seem like something they would do to me. I mean, Fullmetal Alchemist got a full reboot nearly a decade later and that was a money maker from the beginning (wasn't it?). I feel like that's the most we can expect, not a yearly/bi-yearly season. Besides, how often would Araki want to work on the same thing?

Of course, I could just be talking out my ass here. I have no clue what's going to happen, and I would love if you were right.

Branduil

____monogatari(Shaft) comes to mind. That shit is going to have seven or eight seasons when all is said or done.

Depends. The manga feels like it's really really early on.

It doesn't feel that early to me. I don't think this is like Vinland Saga where it's going to pull a "LOL that was just the prologue." This isn't like the big 3 shounen where it just follows a simple formula that can be extended indefinitely, there's clearly an actual story path, whatever you think about it. I personally can't see it going past 200 chapters in my most liberal estimation, but I could be wrong.

I don't know, it just doesn't seem like something they would do to me. I mean, Fullmetal Alchemist got a full reboot nearly a decade later and that was a money maker from the beginning (wasn't it?). I feel like that's the most we can expect, not a yearly/bi-yearly season. Besides, how often would Araki want to work on the same thing?

I don't think FMA was as popular as Shingeki is before it even got an anime. As for Araki, well, I guess that depends on how much likes money, LOL.

duckroll

It doesn't feel that early to me. I don't think this is like Vinland Saga where it's going to pull a "LOL that was just the prologue." This isn't like the big 3 shounen where it just follows a simple formula that can be extended indefinitely, there's clearly an actual story path, whatever you think about it. I personally can't see it going past 200 chapters in my most liberal estimation, but I could be wrong.

I'll give it a 0% chance of being anywhere near 200 chapters. This is not a weekly manga, it's a monthly one, so it should be compared to monthly chapter formats. Another manga with a similar level of popularity is FMA. That ended up being 108 chapters, and 27 volumes. Shingeki is almost half way there, and it might or might not be as long as FMA.

I don't think FMA was as popular as Shingeki is before it even got an anime. As for Araki, well, I guess that depends on how much likes money, LOL.

FMA is a very bad comparison, since it got an anime really early on. By the time it had 11 volumes or so I'm pretty sure it was just as popular as Shingeki is now. The circumstances are just different.

As for Araki doing sequels, he has nothing against that I think. IIRC, he did say he was willing to do more Highschool of the Dead, but someone has to pay for it, and there needs to be more manga. Lol.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I enjoyed the first episode. My enjoyment of the first episode is definitely augmented by the fact that the manga has god awful art, and as such, I have a reason to watch the anime over the manga. In general, if a manga exists, I'd rather read that. That said, this is an anime I'm vaguely interested in, mostly because what has been presented so far doesn't make me hate everyone involved (which has been the case with anime and me for a while).

Isn't that getting mostly movies? Or am I wrong there?

It would need 10 seasons if cosmicblizzard were directing it. That's what he says for every single shounen series. :p

Of course I could be be REALLY overestimating the end length of the manga. Right now, I agree with Jarmel in that it feels pretty early on. Another 100 chapters could be three or four 2-cour seasons alone. Maybe it will be done by then or much earlier. Or maybe it will last another 20 years. I have no clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom