• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

I'll give it a 0% chance of being anywhere near 200 chapters. This is not a weekly manga, it's a monthly one, so it should be compared to monthly chapter formats. Another manga with a similar level of popularity is FMA. That ended up being 108 chapters, and 27 volumes. Shingeki is almost half way there, and it might or might not be as long as FMA.

FMA is a very bad comparison, since it got an anime really early on. By the time it had 11 volumes or so I'm pretty sure it was just as popular as Shingeki is now. The circumstances are just different.

As for Araki doing sequels, he has nothing against that I think. IIRC, he did say he was willing to do more Highschool of the Dead, but someone has to pay for it, and there needs to be more manga. Lol.

Yeah, with FMA, lots of original material was unavoidable because they had so many episodes planned and not nearly enough manga to adapt. They're not going to reach the end of the available manga with Shingeki in just 26 episodes, so any original material would be by choice.

duckroll

Yeah, with FMA, lots of original material was unavoidable because they had so many episodes planned and not nearly enough manga to adapt. They're not going to reach the end of the available manga with Shingeki in just 26 episodes, so any original material would be by choice.

Just like Magi.

Okay, I really need to stop using that joke. LOL.

It doesn't feel that early to me. I don't think this is like Vinland Saga where it's going to pull a "LOL that was just the prologue." This isn't like the big 3 shounen where it just follows a simple formula that can be extended indefinitely, there's clearly an actual story path, whatever you think about it. I personally can't see it going past 200 chapters in my most liberal estimation, but I could be wrong.

Having a clear story path doesn't mean it can't be long. One Piece and Berserk have story paths, the former even with a clear endgame, and look how long those are.

Branduil

Having a story path doesn't mean it can't be long. One Piece and Berserk have story paths, the former even with a clear endgame, and look how long those are.

One Piece still has a formula that allows for indefinite extension, though, and Berserk is just, well, Berserk. Shingeki doesn't allow for filler as easily because its story is based on "mysteries" and they have to resolve them eventually.

Wow, this show sounds pretty cool. Really dig the character designs. Ive been looking for something new to watch and the premise is interesting, sort of reminds me of Valkyria Chronicles.

Go_Ly_Dow

The close face shot of the Titan at the end terrified me. Especially with the dark and dreary sound effect.

Fuck zombies, this is true terror :(

Jarmel

Banned
One Piece still has a formula that allows for indefinite extension, though, and Berserk is just, well, Berserk. Shingeki doesn't allow for filler as easily because its story is based on "mysteries" and they have to resolve them eventually.

Which they've dragged out till oblivion. The reason I say that I think the manga is early on is because we don't have a solid idea of what the world actually looks like yet. We have no clue who the players and powers are yet. Now he could rush it in a ton of infodumps but I doubt it and I surely hope not.

abic

Banned
Which they've dragged out till oblivion. The reason I say that I think the manga is early on is because we don't have a solid idea of what the world actually looks like yet. We have no clue who the players and powers are yet. Now he could rush it in a ton of infodumps but I doubt it and I surely hope not.

40 chapters, "oblivion"?

New to manga?

Having a clear story path doesn't mean it can't be long. One Piece and Berserk have story paths, the former even with a clear endgame, and look how long those are.

Berserk is the better comparison as it's a monthly serialization, instead of a weekly like One Piece.

It feels like Titan is pretty well planned, I enjoyed the manga every chapter of the way. There's enough change and movement every chapter or so that it's not going through the motions. Big thumbs up

duckroll

You know, I've realized that we've all been typing it wrong. It isn't cour, it's cours. Cour is a completely different word in French. :p

Jarmel

Banned
You know, I've realized that we've all been typing it wrong. It isn't cour, it's cours. Cour is a completely different word in French. :p

I didn't even know it was French till just now. I thought it was just slang that some random guy came up with. How did a French term come into use for a Japanese hobby anyway?

Grzi

Attack on Titan - 1

I really really enjoyed this. I read the first couple of volumes of the manga some time ago, so I don't remember much about it, and I'm not sure if I want to continue reading it, I'd much rather just enjoy the anime if they keep the same level of quality throughout the show. We all know that it won't look this good ALL the time, but I'd love to be surprised.
But yeah, great atmosphere, music, animation, tight direction, I couldn't be more happier.

I did enjoy the first episode of Magi too, though...

I had to watch it based on the thread title. I don't typically watch a lot of anime but I really enjoyed it. I'm gonna keep watching.

isual

ehhh. I really liked the manga, except when they finally revealed where the titans come from it pretty much went downhill for me.

I miss magi and maoyu.

Wes

venison crêpe
I liked the episode and the premise so I'll buy in to the season, but am I likely to be disappointed about 16 episodes in as with so many recent series' that got hyped a little around these parts?

duckroll

So, it dawned upon me that Eren's "dream" in the first episode wasn't actually in the manga. This, along with the priest added to the city scenes in the introduction might be some of the "original material" which they were talking about. It seems the anime is enjoying the liberty to foreshadow stuff even more than the manga does.

I can't say I recognize every single thing in the dream sequence though, anyone else want to take a shot at it? (Remember, mark ALL spoilers carefully, especially if there's any manga discussion in here, since lots of people probably haven't read the manga).

In sequence:
1fGwlsT.jpg
e6QK894.jpg

pRzkXod.jpg
KXlgzoR.jpg

VsMkDvd.jpg
0m3Z7F1.jpg

E6eNXi8.jpg
xyxKaAk.jpg

L7evtpa.jpg
p4yi0Wo.jpg

JJucqSU.jpg

Episode 1 spoiler:
It's pretty clear that the last two scenes right before he wakes up is actually a vision of what happens at the end of the episode when his mother is taken and eaten. So... is the entire dream a vision of what is to come in the anime in reverse order? :)

Kurita

So, it dawned upon me that Eren's "dream" in the first episode wasn't actually in the manga. This, along with the priest added to the city scenes in the introduction might be some of the "original material" which they were talking about. It seems the anime is enjoying the liberty to foreshadow stuff even more than the manga does.

If that's what the original content is I'm okay with it.

Duji

After watching the first ep of Shingeki no Kyojin, all I have to say is...

How the hell did these slow ass giants manage to take a whole city by surprise? Couldn't someone see one of these dudes coming from 20 miles away and alert the entire city? Even if no one saw them, wouldn't they have felt the ground shake? I mean, all those giants must've caused some sort of seismic activity. Unless these are "ninja giants".

Can someone explain this to me?

Go_Ly_Dow

How the hell did these slow ass giants manage to take a whole city by surprise? Couldn't someone see one of these dudes coming from 20 miles away and alert the entire city? Even if no one saw them, wouldn't they have felt the ground shake? I mean, all those giants must've caused some sort of seismic activity. Unless these are "ninja giants".

The small giants have always been outside the walls trying and failing to get in. They've just been ignored.

No idea about the insanely huge one tho...

kurahador

Ah...ok. Guess you mean the big one. Keep watching!!

Wiktor

Even without spoilers - Haven't you noticed the thunder lighting that proceeded his appearance?

kazebyaka

Banned

Seems like they travel by lightning

Kurita

lol idk how I didn't connect the dots there. Thanks.
Some dude predicted an important twist in the manga a year ago. We got the revelation like 2 chapters ago, dude was right. Mindblown.
I read his post and everything makes sense when you read closely, minor details should not be overlooked.

I can't say I recognize every single thing in the dream sequence though, anyone else want to take a shot at it? (Remember, mark ALL spoilers carefully, especially if there's any manga discussion in here, since lots of people probably haven't read the manga).

In sequence:

Episode 1 spoiler:
It's pretty clear that the last two scenes right before he wakes up is actually a vision of what happens at the end of the episode when his mother is taken and eaten. So... is the entire dream a vision of what is to come in the anime in reverse order? :)

I might be mistaken but
the windmills are in the manga ( late ) and the rest of the pictures do HInt at events in the future such as the female intelligent titan + the forest. I guess they wanted anime-only viewers to be surprised after a rewatch.

I guess we're at least garanteed to go at least that far.

Jubern

Come on, that seems like kind a big plot point new viewers like us had no way to realize :/
If it's not that important then okay, but this kind of "explanation" is why original material talk is completely banned in some threads (like Game of Thrones).

Jarmel

Banned

Episode 1 spoiler:

I just hope it doesn't have any future plot line indications.

Necrovex

Berserk is the better comparison as it's a monthly serialization, instead of a weekly like One Piece.

It feels like Titan is pretty well planned, I enjoyed the manga every chapter of the way. There's enough change and movement every chapter or so that it's not going through the motions. Big thumbs up

This made me laugh really hard. Now excuse me as I cry in a corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom