• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2026

I really, really would like for the story to work and revolve around the initial premise rather than drift into the usual shatter memories / philosophical babblering that anime series tends to devolve into (see also: Claymore). Some of you manga readers comments makes me feel uneasy in that regard :S more crazy fights, mistery solving and desperate survival, less shonen troupes, "past in the mist" and philosophical waxing, please

I don't recall there being any philosophical babble in the manga really.

(More crazy fights) This defiantly happens, oh my yes.

(Mystery solving) Not sure how many mysteries get solved but there is a whole load more mystery to come

(Desperate survival) There is a ton of this, oh yes.

(Shonen tropes) Not a whole lot of this really

Sarquiss_

Speaking of which, why the hell haven't humans fled to an Island? They have boats. At the very least they should've become a pseudo-maritime race.

I would assume that since no one knew anything about the Titan's they thought they would be safe where they built the walls 100 years ago. It would be great if we get to learn more about the history of the world.

So that's your strategy for fighting urban warfare if the enemy invades your city? Bomb your own city? Gee, that sounds effective. :p

You can always rebuild and you can always make more people. The only way to fight Eotens is too kill'em all. If that means thousands of innocents dies, so be it.

Speaking of which, why the hell haven't humans fled to an Island? They have boats. At the very least they should've become a pseudo-maritime race.

The people haven't been outside the wall in a hundred years. They probably don't even know which direction to go to get to the sea.

Bulzeeb

guys I heard that the next 2 episodes are going to be a flashback from Mikasa and Armin WTF if this is true then I'll start looking for the manga because there is no way I am waiting 3 weeks to see if
Eren is actually dead or if he will make it alive

If you were that excited about what happens in Game of Thrones Season One you should have watched it when it came out two years ago.

not that I care that much but this thread spoiled that part for me, I wasn't that interested on watching the show ASAP and I was planning to start watching it on june or so, so I am witht the guys complaining about the off topic spoilers

kurahador

guys I heard that the next 2 episodes are going to be a flashback from Mikasa and Armin WTF if this is true then I'll start looking for the manga because there is no way I am waiting 3 weeks to see if
Eren is actually dead or if he will make it alive

No worries, I doubt the flashback will lasts more than 1 episode.

Well, it's possible that
Eren is definitely alive. When he was flying to get the other giant, he lost his leg when it got eaten by a giant. Then, after pulling Armin out of the giant's mouth and what-not, we saw his arm get bitten off. So, this leaves him with 1 arm and 1 leg.
But, then again, will we find that out next episode? The preview showed a flashback on that girl's life.

kiyomi

Just finished Ep.5. Bit of an info dump this week, maybe a little too much angry Eren, and for the most part nothing to write home about until the last couple of minutes. This show sure knows how to keep me hooked without ever really following through. I can't wait for next week's episode.

I think the titans are some of the creepiest creations I've seen in any show or film, ever. They pose a credible threat, their motivation is unclear, and they just look so damned terrifying with their smiles and teeth. When this show really wants to get going and leave you wanting more, it nails it.

Ikael said:
- This is probably going to be a story about mankind's failing down completely (I wholly expect Titans to reach the core sooner than latter) and then a small group of armymen trying to explore the outher ravaged world and attempting to put all the puzzle pieces together about what the hell happend with the world, Dark Souls style. More surviving and mystery solving than Titan-slaying, so to speak
I would totally be down for this. I do like the action sequences, but they've been suitably brief and effective so far. I really want to learn more about the Titans and their existence. There was a bit of a tease this week ; hopefully there is some genuine insight into them further along the series.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Saw some official character art for Hanji and Rivaille floating around. Hoping they'll update the official website with higher res.

Yes. Even the next few episode should have some decent neck slicing if memory serves.

Lets just say
there's more to the titans than what we know so far (obviously) and you'll get to see how the elites fight.

There will be a point in the story where many people are going to cream themselves at the action (if it's well animated, of course). Dem spiderman antics never get tiring.

Well that's quite reassuring, as much as I've enjoyed the episodes, the spiderman portion of the topic title has always been something I've looked forward to since the show began and I was starting to worry since it hasn't delivered so far.

Mook1e

Episode 5 – First Battle - Battle of Trost (1)
tumblr_mmcv9cr6Bt1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mmcv9cr6Bt1qbxqfpo2_500.png

I was all hyped for this episode and somehow ended up more hyped even while waiting for the delayed episode to appear on Crunchyroll, then to see it as it started with all awesome and epic motivated Eren, even inspiring Jean (more moments of these two please), some Connie and even newcomer Thomas, I was excited to see this Battle of Trost go down. Unfortunately the anime is still lead by an extremely questionable writing direction with a writer who seems to just want to make this one of the most awful stories to ever be animated.
First why introduce us to Thomas and have him with Eren making him all happy and then give us a good scene with Armin too, only to have them all watch Thomas be devoured like that. It came out of nowhere and caused me to hurt cause I had even got attached to him, expecting him to be like a happy version of Jean :( And then after that, I dont even want to repeat what happened but it was awful, made me step away from the computer and not even come back to the episode for a bit. I dont even want to finish this anime anymore and may just drop it. Eren losing multiple limbs and then being ate up and dying?! He is the hero, the protagonist, he's supposed to be invincible slaying titans like their buttered toast and what not, not the one being smashed like an ant. (oh and of course, Failkasa is safe...). I didnt sign up to get teary eyed from this anime. I wanted good feelings and confidence boosts in morale. Its a shonen action anime after all be more like it please with whoever is rising to take Erens place, I guess Armin or Rivaille? I doubt Ill be able to look at screencaps of Eren for a few days this is like part 2 jjba all over again for me.

The music this episode really sounded like the person decided to revisit a few pieces of the Guilty Crown ost and borrow select moments adding a Shingeki no Kyojin twist to them, the one that sounds extremely like it was inspired from Guilty Crown had to be certain parts of the song playing with Pixis.
Honestly, I think the Anime was too easy on the viewer with regards to
Thomas' death.
The manga was much more abrupt with his bragging about "the one who kills the most titans wins" in one frame and then the next frame showing him in the titan's mouth saying wtf and Eren saying the same.

Which I understand but I purposefully haven't hinted to anything that would ruin the mystery of the show.

For anyone who's watching the show only (no manga) do not highlight the text below.

You don't understand that you don't have to explicitly state something to spoil someone. Anyone with a functioning brain reads what you just said the same as "Eren lives". That's literally what your spoiler says.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I've read the entire manga and I'm pumped for next week's episode just to see your reactions.

I just had to go read the manga to see what happened...and...HOLY SHIT. I think I'm going to have to go through the comics now.

jgmo870

Banned
For anyone who's watching the show only (no manga) do not highlight the text below.

You don't understand that you don't have to explicitly state something to spoil someone. Anyone with a functioning brain reads what you just said the same as "Eren lives". That's literally what your spoiler says.

Anime only watchers don't read:
If I didn't understand that I wouldn't have put it in spoiler tags. Christ.

Yes, but you quoted someone who has no knowledge of the manga, flat out saying "your speculation is wrong." You didn't even preface it with "implied manga spoilers", you just made your whole post a black box.

jgmo870

Banned
Yes, but you quoted someone who has no knowledge of the manga, flat out saying "your speculation is wrong." You didn't even preface it with "implied manga spoilers", you just made your whole post a black box.

Then I'll edit so that people know that the spoiler which can only come from manga, came from the manga.

abic

Banned

He needs attention.

Yeah, I guess I came off a little harsh there, sorry.

It's just a tad bit annoying when people drop hints like that for anime only viewers to see. We''re trying to keep that kind of thing out of the thread so anime only viewers don't get spoiled.

Those raw reactions are quite delicious you see.

suzu

Maybe people should just label (manga spoilers) from (anime spoilers/speculation).

Or not talk about the manga much, since there's that manga thread. :p

And also don't talk about another tv show in the same spoilers!

Blablurn

Just read a lil from the manga to see what happens after Episode 5. Manga Spoiler:
OMFG, EREN BECAME A TITAN?!?!?!??!?! /DEAD

Necrovex

DTL should start on the second episode of Berserk. There is lots of friendship bonding in that show. :-D

Attack On Titan 5

This show gets dark, and I want it to become even darker.
Thomas being all braggy and motivated one second, and then getting eaten the next was simply glorious.
Even with some of its animation hiccups, I am really digging this show. And in regard to the previews (slight manga spoilers),
I am expecting half battle, and half flashback.

I also adore the design choices with some of the titan, especially with Hobo titan and Moe titan.

Jesus fuck @ episode 5. Well, I think that the whole "far too stereotypical" critique is starting to loose ground. I doubt that anyone would have seen "that" coming. The fact that
Eren's death was preceded with mutilation
made it all the more horrible and shocking. Glad to see more shows and books borrowing a page from Game of Thrones and its "lol plotarmour" attitude.

Lol, let's not get carried away just yet.
I don't believe for a second that Eren was a false protagonist and is actually dead. We don't see him die, just get his limbs torn off. Pretty convinced he'll sword his way out somehow. Maybe he'll get some sort of prosthetic limbs.

Mikasa is too flawless to be a good protagonist and Armin is a secondary at best.

Ultratech

Welp, I finally sat down and watched the first four episodes.

Some crazy shit. But very interesting.

Then I watched Episode Five...HOLY SHIT.

I don't know what to think now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom