• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
People just need to sit back and accept the fact that Eren is going to save anime

jAlkeHTk1mk3c.jpg

Billy Mays is a Titan!

Episode 5 Talk

DTL, you just gotta believe
that Eren will come back in badass fashion and save his Nakama's. He will come back!

BELIEVE!

I rewatched the episode, I believe!
the way he keeps saying he wont die and that he will kill them, Im guessing that he somehow does some epic swordswipe thing to destroy the titan inside out.

Eren's poorly written because almost everything else about Attack on Titan is lazily written. The world building sucks. You'd think Eren would have done something besides huffing and puffing his chest in those 5 years we didn't get to see. Something had to have happened in those 5 years, learning a new trade, a new technique, met new people. Eren's got a few traits to his character, huffing and puffing "Imma get my revenge" and then pouting is the other. But those two aren't enough to form a personality so when you say I haven't said why he's poorly written beyond "lol revenge" it's because that's the extent of his personality.

You don't think joining the scouting legion and learning how to fight for 5 years counts as "something"? The guy met people, he learned new things, he experienced things, yet he never lost his motivation. What the author decides to show is another story, but that's a problem of fleshing out over poor characterization.

Also, the world building is great. Whether people like the answers to many mysteries is obviously subjective, but a lot of thought was still put into the world.

RangerBAD

You don't think joining the scouting legion and learning how to fight for 5 years counts as "something"? The guy met people, he learned new things, he experienced things, yet he never lost his motivation. What the author decides to show is another story, but that's a problem of fleshing out over poor characterization.

Also, the world building is great. Whether people like the answers to many mysteries is obviously subjective, but a lot of thought was still put into the world.

Boot camp was 3 years! :D

Go_Ly_Dow

My gripes are Titan defence.....

UNDERGROUND SHELTERS?

WHY ARE THEY LACKING?

Also sure they could have made a much larger pit and narrower bridge. So if the gate was breached they could simply destroy the bridge so the Titans can't get across (minus the few abnormal ones)

Mature

I rewatched the episode, I believe!
the way he keeps saying he wont die and that he will kill them, Im guessing that he somehow does some epic swordswipe thing to destroy the titan inside out.
I haven't read page 1 of the manga, but I feel like this is going to be an emotional roller coaster for you, DTL. =(

kurahador

UNDERGROUND SHELTERS?

WHY ARE THEY LACKING?

Also sure they could have made a much larger pit and narrower bridge. So if the gate was breached they could simply destroy the bridge so the Titans can't get across (minus the few abnormal ones)

Based on what's known so far, there were never titans that's taller than the wall. And the 100 years of peace has probably made everyone complacent.

UNDERGROUND SHELTERS?

WHY ARE THEY LACKING?

This looks like a job for....

2931600-28040532.jpg

Decado

Well fuck. That was unexpected.

If it continues at this pace, this will be the first anime (tv show) that has truly grabbed my attention since 2007.

Cloudy

Banned
Is it just me or does the manga art get much better as you go on? Seems like it got popular and they upped their game lol

The story is amazing so far. So interesting.

duckroll

The Production Committee has made a formal statement apologizing for the state of the broadcasts in the Fukuoka and Hokkaido regions: http://shingeki.tv/news/archives/167

They state that the fuckup previously mentioned were caused by both the production as well as the delivery deadlines for those two stations. They apologized to all fans who are supporting the show, and say that the production team and the staff will redouble their efforts from now on.

LOL. Our greatest fears confirmed. >_<

RIP Wit Studio! Bigbosssalute.jpg

Articalys

By the way, when did the thread title get changed from all capital letters? Must have missed that happening.

Semi Ep5 spoilers: http://i.imgur.com/9oXLAbA.gif
I'm dying here
Cute.

The Production Committee has made a formal statement apologizing for the state of the broadcasts in the Fukuoka and Hokkaido regions: http://shingeki.tv/news/archives/167

They state that the fuckup previously mentioned were caused by both the production as well as the delivery deadlines for those two stations. They apologized to all fans who are supporting the show, and say that the production team and the staff will redouble their efforts from now on.

Ah yeah, I saw the news about still images on some regional broadcasts, but wasn't sure what it was about. Not a terribly good sign, I guess.

Dennis

Banned
Not knowing anything about the practical aspects of anime creation - isn't it possible to hire more animators quickly for a hit show?

sonicmj1

Not knowing anything about the practical aspects of anime creation - isn't it possible to hire more animators quickly for a hit show?

Even if you had access to an unlimited number of animators, there are still going to be unavoidable bottlenecks that come from trying to fit art from a bunch of different people together into a single cohesive whole and fixing any errors. So if you have enough people you might be able to get a team working ahead, but there's only so much speed you can gain by throwing bodies at a project.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Even if you had access to an unlimited number of animators, there are still going to be unavoidable bottlenecks that come from trying to fit art from a bunch of different people together into a single cohesive whole and fixing any errors. So if you have enough people you might be able to get a team working ahead, but there's only so much speed you can gain by throwing bodies at a project.
You can also lose speed when the number of bodies becomes overwhelming and the effort and time it takes to direct a huge amount of people actually makes production slow down!

duckroll

So they goofed up.

Is this their first show?

For this studio? Kinda. The staff are producers and animators who were formally a Production IG sub-studio. The parent company IG Port decided last year to turn them into a wholy owned new studio separate from Production IG. Wit Studio offices were only ready at the end of August, and right off the bat they were handed a big TV series (Attack on Titan) and a theatrical movie (Hal). The series started in April, and the movie opens in June.

The staff aren't noobs or anything, it's probably just a case of grabbing big contracts when the chance arises. Not really unusual.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I was really enjoying this anime until episode 5.

God that was so stupid. I honestly think I want to drop it now, my gut tells me this show just jumped over the shark the size of a titan.

Its obvious this show is not playing it straight, the biggest indicator was the scene in an earlier episode where
Eren has the flashback dream about him getting his arm injected by a needle from his suddenly crazed father

They never addressed it at any point afterwards. I don't know why they decided to have that scene there. There are a bunch of scenes like this.

Jarmel

Banned

Wait are they apologizing for the use of stills?

Edit: NVM, found your prior post.

People are going to die working on this show.

Soriku

I was really enjoying this anime until episode 5.

God that was so stupid. I honestly think I want to drop it now, my gut tells me this show just jumped over the shark the size of a titan.

Its obvious this show is not playing it straight, the biggest indicator was the scene in an earlier episode where
Eren has the flashback dream about him getting his arm injected by a needle from his suddenly crazed father

They never addressed it at any point afterwards. I don't know why they decided to have that scene there. There are a bunch of scenes like this.

Do you think that was just something they decided to throw in for no reason?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Do you think that was just something they decided to throw in for no reason?

Of course not. It was there for a reason, thats my complaint. It's hard to take the show seriously for whats currently happening when you know they're setting up some kind of stupid twist because of previous scenes with zero explanation or followup.

kurahador

Of course not. It was there for a reason, thats my complaint. It's hard to take the show seriously for whats currently happening when you know they're setting up some kind of stupid twist because of previous scenes with zero explanation or followup.

So essentially you're complaining about how the anime is still not finish. That's uhh....

Soriku

It's called foreshadowing.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So essentially you're complaining about how the anime is still not finish. That's uhh....

Thats not the complaint at all. I just don't understand the need to have the tells before whatever happens ends up happening (and I have a pretty decent guess where they're going here). And if it is what I think it is then I'll probably end up dropping it.

Scenes like the one I mentioned before really didn't have to show up but they decided to stick them in there. So its hard to take the events in episode 5 seriously when you already know things aren't what they seem like in the first place. Foreshadowing is fine but it was completely unnecessary with this show.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

This is an extremely bizarre complaint.

Thats not the complaint at all. I just don't understand the need to have the tells before whatever happens ends up happening (and I have a pretty decent guess where they're going here). And if it is what I think it is then I'll probably end up dropping it.

Scenes like the one I mentioned before really didn't have to show up but they decided to stick them in there. So its hard to take the events in episode 5 seriously when you already know things aren't what they seem like in the first place. Foreshadowing is fine but it was completely unnecessary with this show.

This is also a highly bizarre statement, unless of course you're being highly disingenuous and already read the manga so you already know what's going to happen. You're complaining that foreshadowing is unnecessary "on this show" because of something you saw in Episode 5. How would you know?

kurahador

Ok...

To be fair, the manga itself have no dream-like sequence like in the beginning of eps 1, that's a straight up anime material.

Ushae

Banned
I'll definitely give this a try, been hearing good things about this for a while now. Is it only 25 episodes in its entirety? (Have not read the manga) i.e. has the manga ended, or still ongoing?

Soriku

I'll definitely give this a try, been hearing good things about this for a while now. Is it only 25 episodes in its entirety? (Have not read the manga) i.e. has the manga ended, or still ongoing?

So far we know it'll be 24-26 eps. And yes the manga is ongoing (also monthly). Even if they stop they could probably pick up again where they left off at some point.

Erigu

I thought it's not really a dream, just some form of seeing things "differently".
You know, like when you're drunk/sleepy and you misheard what ppl said.
Manga spoilers, just in case, but those are the first pages of the series, really, so...

Sure looks like it was the future (or something). Older Mikasa with shorter hair... And Eren's dream was apparently so long he was surprised to see how long Mikasa's hair was upon seeing her. And of course, there would be the tears.
I wonder where exactly the writer is going with that (and the title of that first episode, for that matter)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom