• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope the show goes in a different route.

Where else do you think Titans come from? A Titan Stork brings all the cute little titans to Earth and then brings them back home for nap-time? it's pretty obvious Titans come from the planet Titan. Why else would this manga be called "attack on Titan"? Why else would they be called "Titans" and not "giants"? This isn't Terramorphers where we fight Roaches on Mars.

Don't want to go into too much detail because this is the anime thread, but I thought the last twist was very well done in terms of not doing the stereotypical "big reveal" style and instead just sneaking it by in the background. I think in a series like this where there's a nearly constant stream of twists, that change-of-pace is necessary to prevent the audience getting tired.

One thing I have to say...Titans are so cute. You just want to hug them and say it's okay. They can be so moe sometimes, unlike the BETA which are always ugly.

Branduil

I was thinking yesterday, and you know, instead of ending the season on ch34, they might end it at around ch30 instead. If they plan on having another 25 episode season in April next year, there would be enough material to do another 30 chapters by then.

That could work too, but then there would be a long wait until they had enough material to do another season. With a two-year wait they could conceivably keep that pattern going indefinitely.

Also, I'm not sure I would read too much into the English title since it's such bad grammar. The titans are called Kyoujin in Japanese. OTOH, I always felt like the author was inspired by Goya's "Saturn Devouring His Son," which is a painting of a mythological titan.

duckroll

That could work too, but then there would be a long wait until they had enough material to do another season. With a two-year wait they could conceivably keep that pattern going indefinitely.

I think that depends on how much manga would be left by Fall 2014. We'll see I guess.

Dresden

Just make three different threads with varying levels of spoiler-ing, ala Game of Thrones. And then have another thread for the manga with spoiler tags, and one with no tags.

Just make three different threads with varying levels of spoiler-ing, ala Game of Thrones. And then have another thread for the manga with spoiler tags, and one with no tags.

Can we do this for every tv show, anime, whatever based on an original work? I want to see GAF filled with threads essentially about the same thing

I know I contributed some but we do have a manga thread where we have already discussed a lot of the things people were talking about here.

Overreaction on my part. I saw spoiler complaints and assumed they were unmarked at some unknown location and bailed out. If people keep tagging them, I would like to stick around. I like the show and don't want anything spoiled.

duckroll

I can see what will happen in a few weeks. We'll be talking about something in the latest episode, and then someone will talk about manga shit in comparison which leads to more discussion about recent manga stuff, all spoiler marked of course, and then someone else will reply to a bunch of black text with an unmarked reply, etc.

And then we'll be right back where we are.

How do I know this? Because it happens in EVERY SINGLE THREAD FOR AN ADAPTATION. :p

So I am under the impression from reading the OP that the only way to legally watch this as of now is to live in France or Japan? Totally unfair, this looks pretty awesome and I would have liked to have been able to watch it or at least read the manga. Any word on a possible U.S. release date or at least the allowance of streaming in the U.S.?

Also how long is this, is it a long series spanning many seasons and hundreds of episodes like Bleach, One Piece and Naruto, or is it a short series like Samurai Champloo with only one season and a few dozen episodes? I'd like to see it, but I don't have time for an extremely long series right now.

Still excited for this anime though!

Dresden

So I am under the impression from reading the OP that the only way to legally watch this as of now is to live in France or Japan? Totally unfair, this looks pretty awesome and I would have liked to have been able to watch it or at least read the manga. Any word on a possible U.S. release date or at least the allowance of streaming in the U.S.?

Also how long is this, is it a long series spanning many seasons and hundreds of episodes like Bleach, One Piece and Naruto, or is it a short series like Samurai Champloo with only one season and a few dozen episodes? I'd like to see it, but I don't have time for an extremely long series right now.

Word is that Funimation will stream this soon.

It'll be two seasons long.

Currently set for 25 episodes, but it likely won't have a conclusive ending as it's an adaptation of an ongoing manga. Chances are if it does well, we'll get more seasons. Could it end up with an episode count in the hundreds? Possibly, but probably not.

Either way, I'm sure you'll have time if you watch it week to week. It only just started.

Also, I'm not sure I would read too much into the English title since it's such bad grammar. The titans are called Kyoujin in Japanese. OTOH, I always felt like the author was inspired by Goya's "Saturn Devouring His Son," which is a painting of a mythological titan.

I had this exact same thought the other day. The way the titans look, move and eat brings this image to mind.

Jex

Welcome to my world. :(

I think the action will remain really exciting to see animated, but the plot developments are just soooooo stupid now. >_<

Owch, and this is from someone who was watched Zetsuen of their own free will.

duckroll

OP Single cover:

B00C96ZE90.09.MAIN._Vddbb817b-20130409005941-PE2HO-bit-ly-MXVBp_SY6000_SCRMZZZZZZ_.jpg

Jubern

We managed to avoid most of the really, really bad spoilers in JoJo's thread except for maybe one or two, can't we do the same here? I'm okay with spoiler tags, but why is something like Alimnassor's post (#351) unmarked?

I already raged LAST PAGE because of that (also unmarked) explanation
about how Titans appears
. Manga readers need to understand that we don't know anything and shouldn't be hinting at things or giving away plot points because "it seems obvious". Come on guys.

Between JoJo and From the New World's threads and this one, I'm starting to feel like a fucking spoiler knight. And I'm watching Game of Thrones too which TV only thread is also going to shit pretty fast, dear me.

duckroll

We managed to avoid most of the really, really bad spoilers in JoJo's thread except for maybe one or two, can't we do the same here? I'm okay with spoiler tags, but why is something like Alimnassor's post (#351) unmarked?

Because it's a joke? :p

Are we going to have to turn this into the Usagi Drop thread?

You mean the discussion that basically died after three pages because everyone was too scared to post in the thread? Excellent solution there.

People just need more willpower to not click on the big black bars instead

duckroll

Could be a case of the Japanese publisher coming up with a Babelfished title just for the Japanese market, then refusing to back down from it due to branding/pride.

The Japanese publisher is also the US publisher afaik. If they can be bothered to pay people to translate the manga for release overseas, I'm sure they could have paid someone to come up with a good English title! All signs point to it being intentional....ly bad.

Could be a case of the Japanese publisher coming up with a Babelfished title just for the Japanese market, then refusing to back down from it due to branding/pride.

Might also be because naming the series "Attack of the Titans" or any variation thereof would mean having to get into an epic legal battle with Warner Bros., so it's easier to just keep the Engrish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom