• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ATVI: "Crash surpassed our wildest expectations" and "looking at other classic IP"

twinsanity remake or i'm not interested

giphy.gif

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
This was stated by CEO Eric Hirshberg. These quotes probably are not exact. I did my best to transcribe what he said during the Activision earnings call today but some paraphrasing had to happen for me to keep up.

DGVbv2_VoAA3iCY.jpg

So it's looking like Crash will probably be moving forward with new and "remastered" content and it seems pretty likely we'll see Classic Spyro as well.
!!!!
The dream. Ps1 Spyro games were top tier. Enter the dragonfly made it that much more apparent by contrast. I loved the blends of humor and style that Insomniac applied to every world. Hopefully they use the original voices (if they can't get the VAs to redo everything), I don't know whether the voice of SpongeBob would be willing to come back for this (he voiced the characters in one world of Spyro 2).

I got high nostalgia for Spyro. When I went back to it though, the level design was just too shallow compared to Crash. But I guess I'd still try a trilogy remaster on par with their first effort.
If it's any consolation, Spyro 1 plays like a demo compared to Spyro 2 (Rypto's Rage). RR is longer, better written, greater in variety of worlds, more meat to the game in every way. From what I've heard, Year of the Dragon cranks the improvements up well beyond RR.

SNURB

One of the concept artists behind Twinsanity sent an open letter to VV about the possibility of a Twinsanity remake:
https://www.crashmania.net/en/blog/twinsanity-remaster/

If I'm gonna be completely honest, as a big Crash fan that I am, I don't want this really. I don't want the franchise to live on by simply more remakes. If we just continued to thread old ground, the series is never going to evolve. This franchise has potential and shouldn't be squandered like how it was years back. I'd rather have some of Twinsanity's elements recycled into a new game if anything really.

But I WILL SAY that I do think CTR actually does benefit the most from a modern remake. With online multiplayer/leaderboards, not to mention new tracks and characters it can easily give Activision a bang for their buck. They just have to nail the controls because that's what made CTR so grand in the first place, you felt as if you were driving an actual kart.

There's also those rumors of Sony Japan Studio (SIEJ) making a new Crash game that came from a couple of GAF insiders. If it's legitimate, I wonder when we'll see it?

Timu

If it's any consolation, Spyro 1 plays like a demo compared to Spyro 2 (Rypto's Rage). RR is longer, better written, greater in variety of worlds, more meat to the game in every way. From what I've heard, Year of the Dragon cranks the improvements up well beyond RR.
Yeah, Year of the Dragon is awesome!

Pizza

I'd love to see a brand-new CTR, Crash Bash, and Crash 4. Not a remake or anything just like, straight up new game. CTR could be remade I guess, but as much as I LOOOOOVE spyro (prefer him to crash tbh) I'd love to see crash get some more attention before we move on to remaking a whole new game from the ground up. We already have all these hella crash assets, id love for them to get some more mileage

If they wanted to go for Twinsanity approach I feel like a completely new game in the style of it would be better than a remake.

Twinsanity is one of those games that had a lot of heart and is regarded a bit more fondly now than when it released. However it does have some baggage. Mostly it's a very limited audience who really love it compared to the originals so marketing it as a remaster/remake could be limiting compared to N.Sane trilogy. With a lot of people the line between WoC/TS/MoM ect is really blurred and just consider it the era where Crash lost it's way.

Mostly what Twinsanity is really about is that it's a game foxused on Cortex and jokes/gags up the wazoo and the weird soundtrack. The original games were subtle when it came to humour, Twinsanity is in your face with it. You can do a new game with that mindset and retain what made Twinsanity enjoyable.

Also while the gameplay in TS was fine I feel like it wouldn't be wise to remake it as is.

Still haven't picked up the Nsane trilogy (one of these days I'll give in), but it'd be hard for me to hold out for a Spyro remaster. Only played the first two games, but they were such majestic, gorgeous games at the time. And they still hold up too. Just please target 60 fps, Activision, kthxsbye.

!!!!
The dream. Ps1 Spyro games were top tier. Enter the dragonfly made it that much more apparent by contrast. I loved the blends of humor and style that Insomniac applied to every world. Hopefully they use the original voices (if they can't get the VAs to redo everything), I don't know whether the voice of SpongeBob would be willing to come back for this (he voiced the characters in one world of Spyro 2).
He wasn't just those characters on the machine world, he voiced Spyro himself!

bunkitz

CTR and Spyro Trilogy, baby! I wonder how they would do CTR, though, considering that it's a single game, whereas the N-Sane Trilogy is three, and if they do Spyro as well, that would be three too. Maybe CTR would just be a digital download? Hmm.

Some Nobody

Glad to hear it did well, but only because it means well for another series I loved. Let's Go Spyro! *clap clap clap clap clap*

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Remake spyro, with the superior design!

spyro.png

Will I find Toys for Bob on your résumé?

I got high nostalgia for Spyro. When I went back to it though, the level design was just too shallow compared to Crash. But I guess I'd still try a trilogy remaster on par with their first effort.

I think it's weird and a little disingenuous to compare their level design. Crash is a tighter, challenge-based platformer. Spyro is more exploration focused and relaxed. More of a collectathon, like Banjo Kazooie.

SNURB

If they wanted to go for Twinsanity approach I feel like a completely new game in the style of it would be better than a remake.

Twinsanity is one of those games that had a lot of heart and is regarded a bit more fondly now than when it released. However it does have some baggage. Mostly it's a very limited audience who really love it compared to the originals so marketing it as a remaster/remake could be limiting compared to N.Sane trilogy. With a lot of people the line between WoC/TS/MoM ect is really blurred and just consider it the era where Crash lost it's way.

Mostly what Twinsanity is really about is that it's a game foxused on Cortex and jokes/gags up the wazoo and the weird soundtrack. The original games were subtle when it came to humour, Twinsanity is in your face with it. You can do a new game with that mindset and retain what made Twinsanity enjoyable.

Also while the gameplay in TS was fine I feel like it wouldn't be wise to remake it as is.
My thoughts exactly.

Twinsanity was released during a time where everyone (besides the fans I suppose) assumed Crash was walking on eggshells after the last few games did very little to evolve the series so critics entirely ignored it. It was only just a few years later where vocal minorities appreciated the game and got in touch with the developers and formed a close bond.

I think the game itself hasn't aged that well, what with the humor and such. And I think remaking would just be too risky.

freefornow

Gold Member
Surely the ink is dry on a Spyro trilogy remaster! All those Skylander players who never experienced the originals would be potential buyers. Acti can surely see this.

SNURB

Remake Twinsanity full-on, as opposed to a remaster. Re-imagine it a bit. Sounds like that's kinda what Keith Webb was thinking from his open letter?

Essentially. I think Twinsanity in particular works better as a reimagined game ala Ratchet PS4.

Yjynx

People loved ND's made Crash. Remaking any other version would resulted in catastrophic failure.

Now make the CTR.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
To me this text sounds like new Crash and additionally a Spyro trilogy. I hope that VV gets to make the new Crash (I also hope for an Xbone or Switch release), they made the best Crash game and it seems they also did great work on this remake. Maybe Toys for Bob could do the Spyro trilogy instead (they worked on Spyro before, making Skylanders in the end). I don't really like Spyro, as I think the level design is abysmal, but as a platformer fan I would still buy such a collection.

Just finished CTR on Vita today, closing in on 100% completion and that game really aged gracefully.

Love it, it's as if I just woke up on Christmas Eve 1999 with my new transparent blue Dualshock and CTR copy in my hands :')

Bring it on Acti!

KeRaSh

Spyro please!
Never really got into Crash games and I have no intention of picking the remake up but I'm glad fans got what they wanted and that it sold really well.

Shin

Banned
Remake spyro, with the superior design!

spyro.png

If you want to give kids nightmare then sure, I rather they stay far away as possible from that, it's not lovable nor likable IMO.
Spyro might be tricky for the current generation due to his scales, it would need to be children-friendly/cute, nothing like the image you linked.

Top Bottom