• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aus Uni student faces $200,000 bill in Facebook post racism row

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get it. Why do they have rooms where only people from a certain race are allowed? Why did the woman take a sick leave and suddenly feels unsafe after kicking out the student? Why is she suing? This story makes no sense.

JHPps.png

There is nothing wrong with wanting safety from white people, knowing what they're capable of and what they have done in the past.
Exactly. White people started this.

Gaf can still manage to surprise me sometimes. Good lord. Sounds like my racist redneck counsin's facebook posts but with a different target.

kmag

One of my good friends is an Australian, and he has implied in the past that indigenous Australians are infamously lazy.

Just remember until maybe the last 10 years, your average Aussie was about as culturally and racially sensitive as a BBC sitcom character from the 70's. Perth for instance was essentially 1970's Blackburn. It's gotten far better by all accounts, but when I lived in Aus you had people in their mid 20's regularly saying stuff I'd only hear in the UK from old age pensioners.

Sapientas

Aboriginals never made the choice to separate by ethnicity. They were forced into it. You're looking at the wrong side here.

You guys really need to learn your history.
I agree that aboriginals were forced into it and that "white people started it". The point is that continuing to have these safe spaces based on ethnicity won't fix the issue. Completely different situation when you're talking about scholarships based on ethnicity for example.
Still, it seems abusive to force aboriginals that still feel opressed and ignore that fact; it sure feels easy to say that "they should just get over it and suck it up".

Nothing he said applies to their history.

I think he's saying aboriginals never actually demanded a segregated computer room as far as this story goes. The university provided one to them as a goodwill type of thing and then white students tried to use the resource that's reserved for someone else.

CryptiK

I think he's saying aboriginals never actually demanded a segregated computer room as far as this story goes. The university provided one to them as a goodwill type of thing and then white students tried to use the resource that's reserved for someone else.
I don't see why that changes the fact that its a bad idea.

So then those who white people displace and oppress are still responsible for navigating their way out of the hole they were put in.

Nothing going on right now is perfect because our history and way of life isn't perfect. Someone has to take responsibility.

It's okay as long as non-whites do this because those university students are obviously to blame due to their race for something that occurred in history! /s

"B-B-B-BUT MUH HISTORICAL OPPRESSION" is bullshit, especially in this case. By having a computer lab open to all races, you already provide resources to indigenous people. You're just justifying racial segregation for yourselves. Racial segregation one way doesn't cancel out or mitigate racial segregation occurring the other way, it just means both races are fucked over at different things. If you want to have safe spaces, fine, but not in public spaces.

Resource provision doesn't have to be exclusive to a race for it to be valid, especially not in a university where the administrative staff must not discriminate (obviously).

Also on the "it's okay to claim you're unsafe around a race" argument, fucking LOL. Bar exceptional physchological circumstances, that's just announcing to the world that you're racist since you assume a person is a danger to you solely by their race. By that flow of thought, I'd like to see a white person argue that they feel unsafe around minorities for whatever reason (say, because they fear voicing their opinion will get them sued for racism).

platocplx

So kinda like where there is a computer room for only (X Major) etc..

Sapientas

I don't see why that changes the fact that its a bad idea.
Looking from outside it sure seems like a bad idea.

Judging from this news though this is still a very real problem and pretending it doesn't exist, while ignoring part of the population, is an even worse idea.

Why is one of these acceptable while the other isn't?

Well, the only thing I can come up with is that lavatories... 'highlight' genitals, which might make some people uncomfortable if they're used with the opposite sex. Toilets don't remind people of racial differences the same way.

Worth thought nonetheless, might reconsider the analogy.

Can people stop looking at minority spaces as analogous to white only spaces.

It's a facile to argue they are the same.

"It's okay as long as we're the ones benefiting from racial segregation!"

Henkka

Banned
There is nothing wrong with wanting safety from white people, knowing what they're capable of and what they have done in the past.

Yeah, same reason I always avoid Japanese people. Look at what they did in Nanking! My fear of all currently living Japanese people is totally justified by that atrocity, yessiree

stufte

Can people stop looking at minority spaces as analogous to white only spaces.

It's a facile to argue they are the same.

Why? How does it help to combat racism at all? It just creates more division and tribalism, and an outright othering of people of different races. It's unproductive to the nth degree. It may not be enacted in the same way from a historical standpoint, but it absolutely has the same outcome.

So kinda like where there is a computer room for only (X Major) etc..

Yeah, there is a Native American Center at the university I went to and they had their own computer lab as well. Anyone can join the classes but the building resources were reserved for students with native heritage.

I was able to use the lab one time because I was friends with the person that worked there from an other class. He actually invited me to use the room though, and as far as I know all the students respected the rules and they've never had an issue like this.

I think people would be surprised at what's going on in their own back yard if they consider this "segregation". If you're from a population that historically hasn't had access to computers/technology then it makes sense to have a room that caters to them. Maybe it's a stop gap but it sounds like the University decided it would work better this way for now. As more and more generations of aboriginals get into university maybe it won't matter.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Can someone define what a 'safe space' is because I thought I had a good handle on it and then this thread happened.

It's more like: "It's okay as long as it doesn't benefits those who don't need it".

Okay so racism's okay as long as it benefits a particular people?

Yeah, man, perfect argument. Arguing racism is for the benefit of society... lol

Can someone define what a 'safe space' is because I thought I had a good handle on it and then this thread happened.

A location where free speech is suppressed or racial/sexual exclusion is justified by the inhabitants "cuz they did it to us first, and it actually benefits us and we need that!11!!1!1!!!!"

Sapientas

Okay so racism's okay as long as it benefits a particular people?

Yeah, man, perfect argument. Arguing racism is for the benefit of society... lol
For me inaction is also a form of racism.
Ignoring the fact that a minority group feels opressed in face on a situation qualifies for that.
"Racism", as you define it, can lead to the benefit of society: scholarships for universities based on ethnicity are an example.

Ha! "Safe space". "SOUTH PARK" reference. Us gaffers, huh?

this thread is a dumpster fire

EDIT: "tribalism" is becoming the new "merit-based" crying-in-hushed-tones buzzword for salty folk who think they would have been accepted if it wasn't for Affirmative Action stealing their spot, isn't it?

I'd be unsafe too if I went to a school with a stalker group that called my ethnic group "ITT N-----s"". Gottah love how OP conveniently ignores that racism.

For me inaction is also a form of racism.
Ignoring the fact that a minority group feels opressed in face on a situation qualifies for that.

Racism, as you put it, can lead to the benefit of society: scholarships for universities based on ethnicity are an example.

Re: bolded- Did I never say that minorities might feel oppressed? Sorry but if the presence of someone of another race is making you uncomfortable then the problem's with you because there's no generalization that extends to every person of the same race to the point you can make arbitrary assumptions and exclusions about them

Regarding italics: Lol. If you truly use those words then you have no right to crtiticize people for racism.

I personally think that ethnicity-based scholarships are morally reprehensible anyway. Socioeconomic status is something else.

CryptiK

I'd be unsafe too if I went to a school with a stalker group that called my ethnic group "ITT N-----s"". Gottah love how OP conveniently ignores that racism.
Suing 3 students 200K for one guys comment, then saying you cant work because you are scared of facing white people. Righto. Everything is ok with this situation then.

What is the actual argument against an indigenous peoples computer lab besides "segregation is bad herp derp". Because providing a resource for members of an absurdly disadvantaged group and a small place of community" is hardly this full on issue of racism people are pretending it is.

Providing an advantage to disadvantaged people and not pretending it isnt anything but does not equal racism.

Suing 3 students 200K for one guys comment, then saying you cant work because you are scared of facing white people. Righto. Everything is ok with this situation then.

Are you white?

What is the actual argument against an indigenous peoples computer lab besides "segregation is bad herp derp". Because providing a resource for members of an absurdly disadvantaged group and a small place of community" is hardly this full on issue of racism people are pretending it is.

Providing an advantage to disadvantaged people and not pretending it isnt anything but does not equal racism.

The white majority has made enough progress in the last few decades so as to only want everything, rather than actually need it.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I'm always baffled that so many people think "racism against whites" is a thing. Is it also segregation against richs if they can't go to soup kitchens?

EDIT: Might as well add that I meant "systemic/institutionnal racism" to avoid comments about people saying they've been laughed at for being white or whatever.

stufte

Ha! "Safe space". "SOUTH PARK" reference. Us gaffers, huh?

this thread is a dumpster fire

EDIT: "tribalism" is becoming the new "merit-based" crying-in-hushed-tones buzzword for salty folk who think they would have been accepted if it wasn't for Affirmative Action stealing their spot, isn't it?

So us vs them mentality is totes ok to you?

What is this shit with "A is the new B" style arguments, you're just trying to deflecting actual criticism away.

I'm always baffled that so many people think "racism against whites" is a thing.

Do you even know what racism is? And not the tumblr definition of it.

Cagey

Banned
I'm always baffled that so many people think "racism against whites" is a thing. Is it also segregation against richs if they can't go to soup kitchens?

In America, at least, race is a suspect classification in Constitutional jurisprudence, whereas wealth is not.

"racial segregation does not equal racism"

"you have to exclude others to provide resources to minorities"

And then people wonder why there's an SJW boogeyman (which, IMO, is used way too dismissively).

Are you white?

Assumptions of race going from one's opinions. I fucking swear, if the US' society worked half like clockwork as the racists in this thread there'd be no racism in the US

CryptiK

Are you white?
Sure am How is that relevant to the fact three students are being sued over 2 non-racist comments and one unproven racial comment which is up in the air if a student even wrote that.

Lmao please. Look up the definition.

So us vs them mentality is totes ok to you?

What is this shit with "A is the new B" style arguments, you're just trying to deflecting actual criticism away.

You mean just like literally every person in this thread who bothered getting pissed with Cindy Prior and not the students and are only exacerbating the exact reason she had insecurities about returning in the first place?

Sure am? How is that relevant to the fact three students are being sued over 2 non-racist comments and one unproven racial comment which is up in the air if a student even wrote that.

calling dismissal of opinion based on the grounds of "CyptiK should've checked their privelege!"

You mean just like literally every person in this thread who bothered getting pissed with Cindy Prior and not the students and are only exacerbating the exact reason she had insecurities about returning in the first place?

Yeah, certainly making racist remarks is not worthy of criticism at all.

Also, LOL, somehow stating that the computer room exercises segregation is utterly racist and is certainly worth fining $200K a college student for.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
In America, at least, race is a suspect classification in Constitutional jurisprudence, whereas wealth is not.

Yet people are classified according to their "race" all the times in America, even if it's not "officially".

EDIT: So we're already at the "the dictionary says racism is this and this" part? Oh boy.

Is this some kind of computer lab that has special things to help Aboriginal students (IE Tutors) or is it just literally a room with computers in it (presumably the same computers that are all over campus) that only aboriginal students can use?

Because if it's #2 I don't see how that is helping.

"racial segregation does not equal racism"

"you have to exclude others to provide resources to minorities"

And then people wonder why there's an SJW boogeyman (which, IMO, is used way too dismissively).

Assumptions of race going from one's opinions. I fucking swear, if the US' society worked half like clockwork as the racists in this thread there'd be no racism in the US

So you dont have an actual answer to my quesrion? Not surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom