• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
image.phpaid708uss_ioa3z5i.jpg

Kritz

Banned
Played my first game of Caverna last night. Game seems great. Can't wait to dig into it a bit more.

It's more or less Agricola, but instead of feeling like you're always struggling as a poor farmer, you're instead thriving as wealthy dwarfs. You're just overflowing with animals and food and minerals, and it becomes this battle of competing dwarf barons. There's a lot more time compression in Caverna compared to Agricola, which makes sense given the massive expansion you can do in only a few turns. The game takes place over three or four decades, rather than three or four years.

Conversely, though, everything has slightly less meaning than Agricola. This is represented by the crunching of Victory points, wherein nearly everything is only worth a single victory point each. A vegetable is worth the same as a sheep is worth the same as a cow is worth the same as a dwarf. The latter part is a nice change, as I felt Agricola's scoring biased heavily towards those who pursued Family Growth. Caverna has a lot more branching paths towards victory, from weapon smithing and adventuring, to farming and animal husbandry.

I'm not sure if I'd call Caverna an easier game - it's still more or less Agricola. But I think it's more accepting, more broad in approach. It may lack the focused theme of Agricola, but at the same time, I'm really glad I don't have to deal with occupations and minor improvements.

Maybe we can play a game next time board game ausgaf turns up to a PAX or something.

Gazunta

Team Automatic. Why do something you don't have to do any more? We've solved changing gears automatically. Would manual drivers also want to go back to crank-starting their engines too? Crazy talk.

Stackboy

I'm sure Ubi will be dicks and make a cheevo something along the lines of 'play 20 hours while allowing people to jump into your Chicago' ;)

People still cheevo hunt? I just play the game as I like and get a little kick out of it, when one unlocks. But I'm not one to 100% and get all cheevos.

I just got all the trophies in the Lego Movie game but still have not seen the film itself yet. My priorities are out of whack.

Dammit though, there's so many kids in the theatre!

Seeing the Lego movie tomorrow night!!

Omikron

I play EU4 aiming to get an achievement at the end of a certain play through. But that just directs my play / start more than anything (z0mg, achievements ruining game design!), rather than specifically achievement hunting for the sake of completion.

ie. on the weekend I finally finished my Brandenburg -> Prussia -> Germany game, I started the game with the aim of forming Germany, which I did fairly early on, but ground it out to the end (first time I have actually finished a full EU4 game oddly, usually just play to a particular point in time and rage quit for whatever reason. :p).

Along the way I picked up 'World Discover', which only .55% of people have. Next I am going for 'Master of India', which involves owning all of India as a Euro nation. Fun times.

Example of current progress. That snake.

Danoss

Can you play as Vikings in EU4? That'd be rad if you could. It'd be like entering a cheat code though: large and strong armies, awesome warships, and England as your bitch minting money for you.

Omikron

Can you play as Vikings in EU4? That'd be rad if you could. It'd be like entering a cheat code though: large and strong armies, awesome warships, and England as your bitch minting money for you.

You probably could if you took a CK2 save and used the exporter function to create you and EU4 save file. :)

I play EU4 aiming to get an achievement at the end of a certain play through. But that just directs my play / start more than anything (z0mg, achievements ruining game design!), rather than specifically achievement hunting for the sake of completion.
Those are my favourite types of achievements. I prefer to think of them as challenges rather than achievements which simply unlock when I murder 500 guys with a dull kitchen knife.

Omikron

Those are my favourite types of achievements. I prefer to think of them as challenges rather than achievements which simply unlock when I murder 500 guys with a dull kitchen knife.

Absolutely, I think it probably works best in open ended games like EU4 / CK2 etc, as these games don't have a defined narrative for the player to follow.

For reference, only 9 achievements (out of 66) are held by more than 10% of players, 16 held by > 5%.

People still cheevo hunt? I just play the game as I like and get a little kick out of it, when one unlocks. But I'm not one to 100% and get all cheevos.
I still cheevo hunt, gives me some enjoyment that I wouldn't have gotten out of a game.

That's ideally how every cheevo should be. Giving replay value to the game buy asking you to play it in a certain way you usually wouldn't, which maximises the content that they developers make in terms of consumers experiencing it.

Even by having a cheevo for playing both paths in The Witcher 2 might mean that someone who may have put the game down after a first playthrough might now be motivated enough to experience the other path. It's a nice way to get gamers to spend more time with a product and hopefully build up more of a relationship with that developer, ideally leading to the consumer being more likely to buy/pre-order the developers next game due to the enjoyment derived.

Achievements are good, but unlocks are better.

If I beat an ultra hard optional boss I want his costume/weapon/to play as the character etc. Achievements are cheap in comparison to real rewards.

Omikron

Goes without saying for Game of Thrones day. Just encase yourself in a bubble until you can watch on your top quality Foxtel service.

Kritz

Banned
I just find it weird that they didn't (Book 5 spoilers)
set up Penny's character at all. She's a pretty important character later on in the series.

senahorse

There is little hope for the books to be finished, at least before the TV shows. That would be hilarious, book 7 "Based on the hit TV show". Anyway, I believe there is only 3 books as it is. My gf and I often joke that George RR Martin found the unpublished first three books and then tried to write the rest on his own, they certainly feel like they were written by two different people.

Quasar

There is little hope for the books to be finished, at least before the TV shows. That would be hilarious, book 7 "Based on the hit TV show".

I've wondered about that. Thats where I'll stop watching, as I want my book reading experience unsullied as it were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom