• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

senahorse

I would pay for day-1 bluray releases, netflix style.

I think that TV is just a terrible format for media consumption. Does iTunes have a season pass kind of thing? Pay $40 and get access to the entire GOT season?

They used to, until Foxtel (at least I think it was them) closed the loophole that allowed them to do this.

Yah-huh. Apparently he won't be in character either, which will be VERY interesting. Will he still be goofy? Who will write for him?

Raises a lot of interesting questions. I'm a little bummed that Conan didn't get the gig (whether he was even considered or not, I don't know) but I'm pretty sure he's satisfied having his own kingdom at TBS anyway. Shame he doesn't push the envelope anywhere near as much as he used to.

Pete Holmes on the other hand...

From what I've heard his writing team is going with him. Never been a big Conan fan, I'm more unhappy about there being no more Colbert report. Thank god I still have the daily show.

Big W have a PS4 bundle with Infamous or Knack or Killzone for $548. Good deal with Infamous, makes the PS4 under $500.

From what I've heard his writing team is going with him. Never been a big Conan fan, I'm more unhappy about there being no more Colbert report. Thank god I still have the daily show.

Yeah it's been confirmed he told his staff they can all come over to the new show with him.

I want Killzone because I want to play a shooter on the PS4. I know it's a bit middling so I'm not willing to pay what stores are asking for it though. Like 50 is the cheapest I can find on Ebay and that's a Region 1 version.

hamchan

I'm sad to say that the Killzone Shadow Fall campaign was worse than the standard shooting gallery campaigns of CoD Ghosts and Battlefield 4.

I'm sad to say that the Killzone Shadow Fall campaign was worse than the standard shooting gallery campaigns of CoD Ghosts and Battlefield 4.
Really? It looked my style of FPS going by the streams. I really enjoy COD but the BF campaigns are FUCKING AWFUL. Worst I've played since Legendary.

Killzone decided that you should have freedom of movement and let you fall off things to your death. Great idea. But they didn't make objectives obvious enough so you sped so much time roaming looking for the way to go.

Did you play Infamous yet? I couldn't tolerate Killzone at all, but Infamous kinda justified my PS4 a bit more.

Finished it.

Some good ideas but could have used a longer dev cycle to flesh out a longer campaign and get more variety in side missions etc. The story themes are really played out / cliche imo and the story generally was pretty weak.

Wolfenstein looks fantastic on PS4 but that'll be better on PC anyway. So fucking hyped for it.

Yeah with a 780 on the way I can't see myself playing any console game which is also available on PC in the near future.

Shaneus

Huge fucking shot by CBS. After all the calls to have him taken off the air they give him Letterman's job? Fucking lol. So good.

I have no reason to freak out. Colbert and his team have been putting out pure gold entertainment for years now. To instantly dismiss them is a fools folly.
a) CBS calling to get him fired? What did I miss?
b) No-one's freaking out, man.

Fair call. I'm going off Conan now anyway, pretty much. He's still a sentimental favourite, but the show itself just doesn't do anything for me anymore. Writing is stale for the most part and the only really entertaining things are some of the guests (the ones he's not going through the motions with to promote X product) or when he does remotes/off-the-cuff stuff.

Pete Holmes is my boy, now. He's honestly the best thing on late night TV at this point in time.

Gazunta

Craig Ferguson just makes me laugh and I can't explain why. Just wish it was on at a decent hour!

IS IT FUCKING 5.30 YET JESUS CHRIST HURRY UP ALREADY

Quasar

Started a Amazon Prime trial. I'm finding with my DSL connection its pretty unusable. Bad video quality and lots of buffering. Not something I've noticed with any other streaming service. Don't really understand why.

C-C-C-Combo breaker!

Doped the child up with basmati rice, honey roasted sweet potato, hard boiled egg, lettuce, cherry juice and will have some warm milk before bed. He better fucking sleep well tonight.

Sitting here supervising an examination... These poor sad students. Such pained expressions on their faces while I am quite relaxed from the after work/pre-exam beer.

Dead Man

Catching up on some day old posts, deal with it.

Do it on foot to improve your checkup results.
heh :)
I'm sure I'll love it. First full-time Android phone (have another one that I used to play Android-specific games on, but I'm past that phase), still can't fucking believe that it's literally the smallest phone possible that has decent performance. I'm bummed I have to settle for something that's bigger than my 4S, but at least it's not *that* much bigger.

Fuck, you'd think phone companies would see the value in focusing concurrently on making phones both bigger AND smaller (or even the same fucking size). I just want something that's small, new and has updated hardware in it. Oh, and that doesn't cost eleventy-billion fucking dollars like every Apple device.

8gb iPhone 5C (aka the cheap one): $679
Sony Xperia Z1 Compact 16gb: $510-550

That's not even the worst part. A new 8gb 4S from Apple costs $529. For a three-year-old phone that can't be upgraded. At least it means the resale value on my 32gb 4S is still fairly handsome. They're fetching ~$350 second-hand consistently on eBay as of right now. Woop.

I see the complaint about smaller phones not having top shelf specs a bit. Is it not a case of heat and space issues causing some of the downgrades? It's quite irrelevant to me, as long as the OS is responsive and I can take a pretty picture and check email I'm happy, so I don't mind a smaller phone have lower specs. I can understand the frustration though, I do like nicely made phones, and for ages there was nothing in the 4-4.5 screen size that wasn't plastic junk.

It's disappointing how long that search can be.

I found a good one about 12 months before he retired. It took many years before stumbling upon one when he happened to be at hand after my gran's blood pressure dropped dramatically, following a routine test, and needed assistance. He was very attentive and incredibly thorough, the likes of which I've never seen before. I made him mine and my gran's GP on the next visit.

Yep. Sounds like you made the right call :) This guy was okay, but I was the first appointment of the day and he had no idea about any of my previous visits, which have been monthly for the last 6 months or so. Not going to keep going to that clinic since they increased their gap fee massively as well just a couple months ago.

I was all excited for a minute, and then everything I checked the price of was the same or worse than MSY. But still, competition is good. Maybe now MSY will make a website that isn't an arcane test of patience.

It's like I'm discovering how shit licensed games are all over again. Thanks for the window into my youth, or something ;)

You pricks with your 780's will get to enjoy the bells and whistles of this :(

I was all excited for a minute, and then everything I checked the price of was the same or worse than MSY. But still, competition is good. Maybe now MSY will make a website that isn't an arcane test of patience.

The lure of NewEgg is their great sales. Standard pricing is run of the mill in the US but they have some fantastic sales, like the SSD I linked the other day.

Super keen to see them put up some GPU's for Australia, rather than just the UK as it is right now.

Tommy DJ

I see the complaint about smaller phones not having top shelf specs a bit. Is it not a case of heat and space issues causing some of the downgrades? It's quite irrelevant to me, as long as the OS is responsive and I can take a pretty picture and check email I'm happy, so I don't mind a smaller phone have lower specs. I can understand the frustration though, I do like nicely made phones, and for ages there was nothing in the 4-4.5 screen size that wasn't plastic junk.

People seem to like larger phones these days. Hence why all of the effort goes into creating 5" phones.

Mini versions are for more price sensitive markets that don't really care about specs so long as it works well and looks similar to the flagship option. Hence why most of the time they're adequate options that aren't as good as the flagships in processing, camera and display metrics.

The main thing some people want is a smaller Android phone that has the performance of a larger phone. It does actually help, the Sony phones are actually quite capable at emulation thanks to native Dualshock 3 support.

Tommy DJ

Wait what did he say that was dickish? I remember him saying his source at Sony said the rumour was that he was moved on/was going to be moved on.

That whole thing was like 2 weeks ago I think?

He basically conducted a character assassination campaign. He claimed that a lot of people were laid off because of their inability to manage projects or develop good games. He was pretty aggressive about these claims and actually named specific people.

That response Shaneus linked was from one of the people he was targeting. The poster left Evolution not because of poor work performance but because he wasn't able to adequately care for his sick son. Character assassination campaigns always make you look awful when you're wrong and that's exactly what happened to famousmortimer.

He basically conducted a character assassination campaign (laid off because they were shit, couldn't manage projects, and developed a game that was considered shit internally) on a lot of people that left Sony/were laid off by Sony. One of the people he specifically targeted left because his job meant he wasn't able to adequately care for his sick son. This calls into the question how much he actually knows.

I think 'character assassination campaign' is hyperbolic considering it was a few posts on a message board with little interest in changing peoples opinion on the people that were talked about. He should have been less flippant in his remarks that the Driveclub/GRID2 dude was "replaced", or at least given better context for the remark even if it made his position with his source uncomfortable. Once you go through an post that nugget, you should be willing to back it up.

I definitely agree that false/conflicting information does indeed call into question his sources/posts. That's nothing new though, more than a few things he and every other insider that has ever posted on GAF have been deemed false. Even cboat.

Tommy DJ

Yeah character assassination isn't exactly the right phrase. I couldn't really think of an alternative. But a lot of people saw him as an insider though so he should have been more careful about what he posted. A lot of the stuff he posted isn't particularly nice, especially if sites like IGN run with it.

Its even worse when the stuff posted is wrong because sites like IGN aren't going to drop the story and apologise for the mistake.

Yeah character assassination isn't exactly the right phrase. I couldn't really think of an alternative. But a lot of people saw him as an insider though so he should have been more careful about what he posted. A lot of the stuff he posted isn't particularly nice, especially if sites like IGN run with it.

Its even worse when the stuff posted is wrong because sites like IGN aren't going to drop the story and apologise for the mistake.

Yeah, thankfully he admitted he shouldn't have gone into that kind of detail (especially after the whole Amy Hennig thing on IGN) and apologized unequivocally to the dude on Twitter. Once you get into subjective territory it's never worthwhile to post, will only muddy the waters.

Even worse is if Dualshockers pick up incorrect info, they would never post a retraction lol

Most of the GAF insiders have shifted to Twitter now thankfully. That way it's all on their heads rather than NeoGAF as a whole. I doubt we will ever see the kind of inside information like that on GAF ever again tbh, not conducive to the hit & miss nature of it anymore.

Danoss

Yep. Sounds like you made the right call :) This guy was okay, but I was the first appointment of the day and he had no idea about any of my previous visits, which have been monthly for the last 6 months or so. Not going to keep going to that clinic since they increased their gap fee massively as well just a couple months ago.

Ouch! Hopefully you find a decent place and a doctor to match soon.

I am so fucking hyped for Guardians of the Galaxy. I want this to be a massive series. The lore is fucking cool and it will scratch that Indy/Star Wars itch that never gets scratched for me any more.

The only logical conclusion is that nVidia has a mole in AMD and they knew the only way to get more people over to team green was to take away the only thing keeping many people with team red: RadeonPro.

Ah, of course. The Phil Harrison Project Plan. It makes so much sense now!

Hi guys, I haven't really had much time to post but I'm living in Kobe now. It's really a very pretty place to live and the course I'm doing is great (although quite intense so far) :D

Also the download speeds are so incredible I want to cry.

Here's my university:
WRrHeyt.jpg

And the view from my dorm room:
hY9JKGk.jpg

If any of y'all are in Japan give me a shout. Jint, do you know where in Japan you'll be?

Was going to get some burgers at Laurie Dee's with the gf and her little sister when the little sister spotted some kittens/cats on the side of the road. We ended up catching them and taking them to the RSPCA I volunteer at. Fun but weird night.

On a negative note, the RSPCA I volunteer at is going to close on June 9. :( On a positive note, my interview went well at the RSPCA in Ballarat!

rspca

I am so fucking hyped for Guardians of the Galaxy. I want this to be a massive series. The lore is fucking cool and it will scratch that Indy/Star Wars itch that never gets scratched for me any more.

After reading the books, I'm hyped too. The trailer looked great at the cinemas in front of Winter Soldier.

Hi guys, I haven't really had much time to post but I'm living in Kobe now. It's really a very pretty place to live and the course I'm doing is great (although quite intense so far) :D
WRrHeyt.jpg
Damn youuuuu, you made sure to include a photo with a damn cherry blossom tree. So jelly :(

Was going to get some burgers at Laurie Dee's with the gf and her little sister when the little sister spotted some kittens/cats on the side of the road. We ended up catching them and taking them to the RSPCA I volunteer at. Fun but weird night.

On a negative note, the RSPCA I volunteer at is going to close on June 9. :( On a positive note, my interview went well at the RSPCA in Ballarat!

rspca
You moving to Ballarat or just taking the bus up from Melbs?

After reading the books, I'm hyped too. The trailer looked great at the cinemas in front of Winter Soldier.

Every piece of news makes me feel like they are getting it 100% right. Gunn is totally on my wave length in terms of GotG. Even his hyping of Vin Diesel's I AM GROOT's makes me wish it was coming out tomorrow!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'd buy it just to grief JaseC while he's going for 100% as always. Nothing more enjoyable than a good griefing.

Also it'll tide me over until GTA5 finally hits :(

Haha, I asked about the Dark Soulsesque multiplayer component in a recent WD thread and apparently you can disable/opt out of it. I don't want people getting my way whilst I'm running around Chicago collecting god-knows-what. ;)

How much ramen have you had? A lot? I bet it's a lot.

Um, おげんきですか? なにかかいますか?

Don't answer in Japanese, I won't be able to understand it.

Also the download speeds are so incredible I want to cry.

If any of y'all are in Japan give me a shout. Jint, do you know where in Japan you'll be?

oh i didnt realise you were staying over there, thought it was just for a holiday.
how long are you going to be there for?

also ogs 5 off 50 vocher if anyone wants it
Your voucher code is: HAPPY-BIRTHDAY-06APR14-UHHGP

This code entitles you to $5.00 off at ozgameshop.com

Click here to visit ozgameshop.com and use your $5.00 code!
Your voucher code expires at the end of Saturday 12th April 2014.

Minimum spend: $50.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom