• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
I buy a freaking amd 790 and then a freaking week later freaking nvidia freaking releases a freaking driver update that freaking boosts every freakingthing by alot >_<

What i more meant was macbooks bought by students fir personal use etc rather than ones in the computer labs.
OS X is a pretty damn awesome OS so I don't blame them.

Also you can pretty easily run OS X, Linux, and Windows on the same machine so you never have the issue of not being able to run the software being taught.

Not to mention they are shiny.

markot

Banned
Mac oses are the most terrible user experience since ive experienced things as a user.

290, whatever mr specificationazi.

Tommy DJ

I buy a freaking amd 790 and then a freaking week later freaking nvidia freaking releases a freaking driver update that freaking boosts every freakingthing by alot >_<

It actually isn't that much. I have a 780 and a Haswell i5 and I don't actually see any huge performance boost.

Where it helps is if you're severely CPU limited, which is a lot less common these days.

What i more meant was macbooks bought by students fir personal use etc rather than ones in the computer labs.

Science/engineering student here. Wanted a somewhat sturdy laptop with decent screen and peripherals like keyboard/trackpad. Macs, strangely, are easily one of the more affordable models if we consider the obscene prices of decent Thinkpads/Latitudes/Elitebooks.

That's changed a bit with the coming of decent ultrabooks but in the past that was the justification for a Mac.

Mac OS is actually really nice too, works really well if you're programming. I only boot camp to use engineering software.

markot

Banned
Windows:

King-Size_Homer.png

Linux:

9F10.png

Archivo-Springfield_Monorail_3.png

senahorse

Gainward 770 Phantom 4GB (450)

Factoring in postage, it's a 200 dollar upgrade.

The card had really bad coil whine which they just determined was grounds for the refund. I decided I wasn't satisfied with the perf of 770s generally (not that specific model) and so I made the plunge. The other thing was the Gainward 2.5 slot coolers required me to perform rocket surgery on my case to get inside, and wouldn't let me close the case once it was in.

I'll have to have some fun un-bending one small part of my Bit-fenix prodigy to get it all back to normal, :lol

Both my 780's have noticeable coil whine as well so will be interesting to see how you go. Mind you mine are water cooled so I don't get the advantage of having the fans drown it out.

1 girl said she got a mac because her dad said he'd buy her one and it was the most expensive one there

but talking generally it's not that hard to see why
they are sexy but in like a not heaps sexy interesting way that could potentially alienate anyone. it's a very bland kind of sexy.
they have pretty great battery life don't they
they are goldilocks sized (13" mbps seem to be 99% of the ones I see)
they're "arty"? maybe idk look how creative I am I have a mac
apple really did a number on everyone and now is king of the world. that guy who's dead convinced almost everyone they're the epitome of cool computin

Spent a few hours in the rain today pulling the stereo out of my car. Shoes and clothes got soaked through. Good times. Also bought a few stouts this afternoon to help with recovery.

As a student you'll usually get a reasonable discount at the online Apple store. I haven't looked for ages but I thought it was 10%. It's probably 5%.

Edit: On a Macbook Air, it's $50 cheaper across the board. So not significant, but savings are savings. (edu pricing, normal pricing)

Tommy DJ

1 girl said she got a mac because her dad said he'd buy her one and it was the most expensive one there

but talking generally it's not that hard to see why
they are sexy but in like a not heaps sexy interesting way that could potentially alienate anyone. it's a very bland kind of sexy.
they have pretty great battery life don't they
they are goldilocks sized (13" mbps seem to be 99% of the ones I see)
they're "arty"? maybe idk look how creative I am I have a mac
apple really did a number on everyone and now is king of the world. that guy who's dead convinced almost everyone they're the epitome of cool computin

When Apple released Snow Leopard, it provided a very compelling mobile product. Unlike PC products at the time, they really put everything a consumer would want in a good laptop.

If you wanted good build quality, you'd choose a business laptop. But the problem with business laptops were (and still are):
- very high cost
- awful bloatware
- poor aesthetics
- really bad screens exacerbated by aggressive matte coatings

The old Elitebooks were aesthetically insipid, cost like $2,000 for a basic 14" model and came with a crapload of HP bloatware. Decent laptops but no consumer would ever want one for all of these reasons.

Apple did everything you state, shoved in a trackpad that is miles better than any PC laptop even today, and provided a very complete suite of software. For instance, Preview lets you merge and modify PDF files which is still stupidly difficult even in Windows 8. Furthermore, driver support was better than PCs at the time...you could pretty much hook up any printer or scanner to your Mac and it would get it working in a minute. Compared to Vista and XP laptops, they really did "just work".

Most people just get Macs for the reputation that "they just work" and that they look kind of good but its important to remember that marketing isn't exactly useful if the product is complete shit.

Tommy DJ

Marketing triumphs all only occurs in markets where there are clear external factors pushing the value of the object up. Forum circle jerking in stereo audio circles is a perfect example.

In markets where people actually use their products like an appliance, marketing does shit all if the experience doesn't reflect the marketing. Sony can talk about the Mobile Bravia Engine but at this point it probably has a negative impact on sales because their displays are so awful. While Apple and Samsung can sell products off the Retina or AMOLED branding because they implemented it right the first time round and maintain a level of quality that gives a reliably good viewing experience.

Marketing definitely proliferated Macbooks but they're popular for a reason. In those IBM Watson videos, the only two laptop models being used by the staff were the Thinkpad T420 and the 13" Macbook Pro.

Help me AusGAF!

2 things.

1) Once I get the whole Gran Turismo PS3 thing setup for Dad I also want to dump a ton of motor racing doco's/movies onto their PC and Plex it all up. What's a good way to remote into their PC to manage everything? Some kind of VNC? I want to be able to remotely log in from here and move/rename stuff on their PC because it's so fucking hard to get that across over the phone to my Mum.

2) The fucking scroll bar in Chrome has been fecking impossible to see since an update a while back, it's almost the same shade of grey as the container it runs vertically on >_<
Can I just change the colour somehow or do I need to download a completely new theme :/

[
2) The fucking scroll bar in Chrome has been fecking impossible to see since an update a while back, it's almost the same shade of grey as the container it runs vertically on >_<
Can I just change the colour somehow or do I need to download a completely new theme :/

What's your monitor's contrast settings like? (Though this is a poor avenue to go down if everything else is fine and dandy bar this) edit: unintended pun l o l
My scrolly barry looks like this
4ea1c39e01.png

What's a good way to remote into their PC to manage everything?
You can just use RDP to connect to a Window PC. It's already built in. Alternatively, setup a VPN server at their end (some routers can do it) and just VPN into the network and change files and stuff without needing a remote desktop of some sort.

The fucking scroll bar in Chrome has been fecking impossible to see since an update a while back
The latest version seems to have widened the scrollbar, which I think is an improvement. Make sure it's up to date.

My scrolly barry
hqdefault.jpg

Opera sucks balls.

What's your monitor's contrast settings like? (Though this is a poor avenue to go down if everything else is fine and dandy bar this)
My scrolly barry looks like this
4ea1c39e01.png
Yeah like that but less defined in the colour contrast.

You can just use RDP to connect to a Window PC. It's already built in. Alternatively, setup a VPN server at their end (some routers can do it) and just VPN into the network and change files and stuff without needing a remote desktop of some sort.

The latest version seems to have widened the scrollbar, which I think is an improvement. Make sure it's up to date.

hqdefault.jpg
Woo! Thanks for the heads up, just forced update and the bar is definitely a lot darker.

I'm actually coming to the conclusion that Dark themed GAF makes it harder to see since the bar is so bright compared to the dark dark neogaf backgrounds so when I flick my eyes across to the scroll bar I'm just blinded by the bright grey.

Also thanks for the VPN stuff! To use RDP does that require them to allow me in everytime or can I automate it? I've really only used VNC through work so I'm not too up on the shizzle with this stuff.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
opera 12 (the best opera) was released in like 2012.

the versions after that (15 +) they dont force you to upgrade to or even offer.

but ive tried, and its like a half chrome knock off. such a downgrade.

and those links are still relevant silly.

senahorse

Piracy: At least the Lannisters pay their debts
Following a series of special reports on piracy on Mumbrella this week Foxtel&#8217;s Bruce Meagher explains why the company is airing Game of Thrones as it is.

Much has been made in the past few days of the fact that fans of Game of Thrones are unable to acquire the series through services other than Foxtel until after the final episode airs. Unfortunately, there has also been much misinformation about how Foxtel is making Game of Thrones available to the public.

The criticisms relate both to price and the Foxtel business model. Some even conclude that unauthorised downloading is justified because of these objections. As KGB commented in relation to a recent Mumbrella story, that&#8217;s like justifying stealing a Ferrari on the basis that the waiting list is too long or the price is too high (maybe it&#8217;s because you don&#8217;t want all of the features). You only have to state the proposition to realise how absurd it is.
Another argument that is sometimes made is that you&#8217;re only making a digital copy, not actually stealing an object. Try telling that to the actors, extras, writers, camera crew, make up artists, editors, special effects teams and the many others who make Game of Thrones. The artistry and skill they bring to the production has real value and deserves to be rewarded.

Having said that, at Foxtel we recognise the need to be flexible to meet consumers&#8217; reasonable expectations as to speed of access and pricing. That&#8217;s where Foxtel Play comes in. Foxtel Play is the best comparison to iTunes and similar services. Foxtel Play is a streaming service available over the internet via a range of devices: PCs and Macs, Sony PlayStation 3, Xbox360, Samsung and LG smart TVs and Samsung Blu-Ray. You can also use your Foxtel Play subscription to activate Foxtel Go on a range of Apple and Android phones and tablets.

It takes a few minutes to sign up and there are no lock in contracts so customers are free to come and go on a month to month basis. Because we air each episode Express from the US you can sign up and be watching within a couple of hours of its US broadcast.

What&#8217;s more you can register three devices and watch on two simultaneously. So, for example, if a member of the family or household is travelling they can still catch the latest episode as it goes to air or on demand even if someone else is watching at the same time.

All episodes of Games of Thrones season 4 (plus 2 and 3) will be available in the catch up library for the duration of the series. You can watch as often as you want and new comers can get up to speed with past episodes.
As a special Game of Thrones offer Foxtel Play including the Movies and Premium Drama Pack is available for $35 per month for the duration of the series. Plus, the first 14 days are free to new subscribers.
For that price you also get a range of other channels and programs, including past seasons of Game of Thrones and other exceptional dramas such as True Detective, Girls, True Blood, Boadwalk Empire, access to around 1,000 movie titles and much more.
Of course some people say they don&#8217;t care about all of that, they only want the most recent episodes of Game of Thrones. However, HBO has decided that is not the way they intend to sell this season either here on in the United States. As the content creator and risk taker on the show, they are entitled to make those commercial decisions. As I have said elsewhere, dragons don&#8217;t come cheap.
If consumers&#8217; only choice was full Foxtel, with lock in contracts and a delay in access due to the need to get installed (a fantastic service by the way for people who love great television) I could understand the objection. But with Foxtel Play available those objections vanish.

What we are left with is an argument at the margins about a few dollars. Yet some people still feel that they should be entitled to take this show for free without the consent of its creators rather than pay a reasonable price for an extraordinary product.
The Lannisters may not be a pleasant lot, but they, at least, always pay their debts.
Bruce Meagher is director of corporate affairs for Foxtel.

http://mumbrella.com.au/piracy-least-lannisters-pay-debts-219984

Oh dear Foxtel, while some (I am being generous here) of his points are valid. The fact still remains, their 'Cheap Alternative' will still cost you $100 to watch GoT season 4, in, wait for it, Standard Definition only...Nice try Fucktel

Gazunta

Reptile have you tried Chrome Remote Desktop? It's what I use to remote log in to all the relative's PCs when they can't understand how to double click on something or whatever. It's by Google and is super easy to set up.

New topic: Has anyone here had any exposure to Patreon? So you support anyone using it? What do you think of it?

(It's the hip new crowd funding platform, to support creative folk who are making content online, it's like a recurring tip jar you set up so they get a buck every time they make a new video / song / comic / whatever)

Danoss

It's too easy use their Ferrari analogy right back at them.

What people are objecting to is that Ferrari has stepped in and said that you need to pay the outright cost of their car every single month or they will revoke your access to it. This is only occurring in Australia though, other countries have far better options available to them.

You do get other things included with the price Ferrari charges, but the value isn't there as most of it is not desired by its users.

In a nutshell, Ferrari believes paying $200,000 per month to access your (not even top of the line) car from them is a great deal. Australians are just whingers who would rather steal one instead. Tell that to the designers, engineers, factory workers and so on.

New topic: Has anyone here had any exposure to Patreon? So you support anyone using it? What do you think of it?

It's popular in RPG circles and yes, I have, and continue to, use Patreon.

It's a great way for creators to make things they might not otherwise get the money to justify spending time on making something. It's also a way for people to thank people for making stuff that they like and want to show their appreciation by putting some cash in their pocket.

The good thing is that you only pay when they produce a thing. The creator creates a thing, your card pays whatever you've set it to. You can also set a limit for how much each creator can take from you each month, so if they suddenly make lots of things (or abuse the system, in a rare case), then you only get hit for whatever you allow.

I love it and look forward to my monthly RPG monsters, games and stories. There's more I'd love to contribute to, but there's only so much cash to spare for such things.

Edit: Just as I finish adding in this bit about Patreon, one of my monthly monsters turns up in my inbox from Johnstone Metzger.

Jintor

Companies need to get the memo that large-scale piracy is an alternate expression of desire to buy your products but your service/prices/whatever is too fucked for people to consider ACTUALLY buying your product

Kritz

Banned
I would pay for day-1 bluray releases, netflix style.

I think that TV is just a terrible format for media consumption. Does iTunes have a season pass kind of thing? Pay $40 and get access to the entire GOT season?

http://mumbrella.com.au/piracy-least-lannisters-pay-debts-219984

Oh dear Foxtel, while some (I am being generous here) of his points are valid. The fact still remains, their 'Cheap Alternative' will still cost you $100 to watch GoT season 4, in, wait for it, Standard Definition only...Nice try Fucktel

They clearly missed the point. Also SD only, that's hilarious. Also it should be aired live. If someone can get a better quality version quicker then someone who paid for it, your service needs work.

Colbert to replace Letterman. Boom.

Should be interesting.

Reptile have you tried Chrome Remote Desktop? It's what I use to remote log in to all the relative's PCs when they can't understand how to double click on something or whatever. It's by Google and is super easy to set up.

(It's the hip new crowd funding platform, to support creative folk who are making content online, it's like a recurring tip jar you set up so they get a buck every time they make a new video / song / comic / whatever)

I'll look into it thanks! I'll try out the Windows one and the Chrome one and see how we go :)

Shaneus

Should be interesting.
Yah-huh. Apparently he won't be in character either, which will be VERY interesting. Will he still be goofy? Who will write for him?

Raises a lot of interesting questions. I'm a little bummed that Conan didn't get the gig (whether he was even considered or not, I don't know) but I'm pretty sure he's satisfied having his own kingdom at TBS anyway. Shame he doesn't push the envelope anywhere near as much as he used to.

Pete Holmes on the other hand...

I'll look into it thanks! I'll try out the Windows one and the Chrome one and see how we go :)
If you use Remote Desktop (as an admin as mentioned earlier is best, but not necessary) you can login to the PC without their intervention. The only issue there is that their screen will blank so they can't see what you're doing. Of course, sometimes that's a benefit...

Colbert to replace Letterman. Boom.
Huge fucking shot by CBS. After all the calls to have him taken off the air they give him Letterman's job? Fucking lol. So good.

I have no reason to freak out. Colbert and his team have been putting out pure gold entertainment for years now. To instantly dismiss them is a fools folly.

I would pay for day-1 bluray releases, netflix style.
Same. I'm fucking desperate for Space Dandy on Blu Ray. Need that HD quality art and animation yo!

ALSO

How the fuck does our chicken shit entertainment industry have TV shows that air and then have the DVD release THE DAY AFTER THE FINALE yet the US can't do that?

Do the same thing damnit! Keeps the marketing train puffing along and hits consumers while interest is sky high! It makes too much sense damnit!

If you use Remote Desktop (as an admin as mentioned earlier is best, but not necessary) you can login to the PC without their intervention. The only issue there is that their screen will blank so they can't see what you're doing. Of course, sometimes that's a benefit...
Heh yeah that's a positive, won't have Mum freaking out telling me to go through the steps slower. This way I can just set it all up and tell them to turn the PS3 on, go to Plex, watch the damn movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom