• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Why do donkey Kong games so..... Soulless? I've felt that way since I first tried that old dkc game... Something's missing.

In fact, I include the original dk game too.

They're a strange one. I've never been captivated by them.

Maybe it's because I never had a snes, so don't really have any history with them / don't care tooo much.

bomma_man

LOL

Seems more like people who don't listen to the station are taking it into their own hands you mean?

This is really strange, are you saying Triple J listeners are the equivalent of stereotypical euphoric atheists? Seems like you're actively taking shots at Triple J listeners and Triple J for not sharing your exact taste, as seen by the "play a bunch of shite" remark.

I'll back up. I don't care what they play, in fact now that they've diversified a bit their playlists are as good as ever. It's fine that they have a mandate to play Australian and alternative stuff, it's just that the line between alternative and mainstream is always going to be inconsistent, if not completely arbitrary. That wouldn't be a problem if they didn't act (and I completely admit that this is just an impression on my behalf that I can't substantiate with anything concrete) like anything they don't or didn't play is rubbish. If you don't play it, don't rubbish it. Live and let live. The arrogance and smugness that I perceive is what annoys me (and what drew the euphoric comparison).

hidys

The whole Taylor Swift thing is some weird shit.

I mean regardless of Mark Di Stefano's intentions, whatever those might it is clear that there are a number of people supporting it to try and take the piss. If you are upset that the song has made it into the list or even made it all the way to number 1 than really you've just played into their hands.

TBH I think far too many people take the Hottest 100 way to seriously. Honestly it really doesn't matter who wins as the result will be forgotten in a matter of weeks.

My own opinion is that since nothing good has ever gotten no.1 why should I start caring now?

Let's face it pretty much every year something shitty wins that definitely doesn't deserve it and Shake it Off is no different.

Jintor

I don't think DK games feel soulless, but they're even less for me than normal platformers, which is pretty low already

pity because the music is pretty fucking rad

Dead Man

The whole Taylor Swift thing is some weird shit.

I mean regardless of Mark Di Stefano's intentions, whatever those might it is clear that there are a number of people supporting it to try and take the piss. If you are upset that the song has made it into the list or even made it all the way to number 1 than really you've just played into their hands.

TBH I think far too many people take the Hottest 100 way to seriously. Honestly it really doesn't matter who wins as the result will be forgotten in a matter of weeks.

My own opinion is that since nothing good has ever gotten no.1 why should I start caring now?

Let's face it pretty much every year something shitty wins that definitely doesn't deserve it and Shake it Off is no different.

The bold is certainly true.

hamchan

What's wrong with Taylor Swift winning? Drug soaked hippies just being mad that a pop/country song can top their holy grail of lists.

hidys

What's wrong with Taylor Swift winning? Drug soaked hippies just being mad that a pop/country song can top their holy grail of lists.

Other than that it is a pretty bad song nothing really strikes me as justification for preventing it's victory.

BTW here are the previous winners of the contest
1993: Dennis Leary - Asshole
1994: The Cranberries - Zombie
1995: Oasis - Wonderwall
1996: Spiderbait: Buy Me a Pony
1997: The Whitlams - No Aphrodisiac
1998: The Offspring - Pretty Fly for a White Guy
1999: Powderfinger - These Days
2000: Powderfinger - My Happiness
2001: Alex Lloyd - Amazing
2002: Queens of the Stone Age - No One Knows
2003: Jet - Are You Gonna My Girl
2004: Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
2005: Bernard Fanning - Wish You Well
2006: Augie March - One Crowded Hour
2007: Muse - Knights of Cydonia
2008: Kings of Leon - Sex on Fire
2009: Mumford and Suns - Little Lion Man
2010: Angus and Julia Stone - Big Jet Plane
2011: Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know
2012: Macklemore - Thrift Shop
2013: Vance Joy - Riptide

Some of those are okay. Some of them are terrible. But it is pretty hard to make a case that any of those songs are the best from their respective years and Shake it Off would not be out of place on that list.

EDIT: Having said that I have to admit the all time lists are at least closer to what are actually the greatest songs of all time.

How do these free OS upgrades work when it comes time to format?

Do you get a new product key that you can load into a fresh install? Then download a copy of the OS off microsoft for USB boot?

It's apparently "a one-time free upgrade". Whether that means you have to do an in-place upgrade or you can format like you would normally with the upgrade versions hasn't been specified.

But you can only do it once supposedly, so formatting and reinstalling with a hardware change will mean you have to buy Windows 10. At least from the wording. So possibly you install, and have to register online for the free upgrade to work (only once).

Fredescu

so formatting and reinstalling with a hardware change will mean you have to buy Windows 10.

"once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device,"

So it will probably work like an OEM key. Change the motherboard and you need a new key. Change the hard drive and you're fine. Call Microsoft if your key doesn't work and they'll probably activate it for you regardless.

Shaneus

Other than that it is a pretty bad song nothing really strikes me as justification for preventing it's victory.

BTW here are the previous winners of the contest
1993: Dennis Leary - Asshole
1994: The Cranberries - Zombie
1995: Oasis - Wonderwall
1996: Spiderbait: Buy Me a Pony
1997: The Whitlams - No Aphrodisiac
1998: The Offspring - Pretty Fly for a White Guy
1999: Powderfinger - These Days
2000: Powderfinger - My Happiness
2001: Alex Lloyd - Amazing
2002: Queens of the Stone Age - No One Knows
2003: Jet - Are You Gonna My Girl
2004: Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
2005: Bernard Fanning - Wish You Well
2006: Augie March - One Crowded Hour
2007: Muse - Knights of Cydonia
2008: Kings of Leon - Sex on Fire
2009: Mumford and Suns - Little Lion Man
2010: Angus and Julia Stone - Big Jet Plane
2011: Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know
2012: Macklemore - Thrift Shop
2013: Vance Joy - Riptide

Some of those are okay. Some of them are terrible. But it is pretty hard to make a case that any of those songs are the best from their respective years and Shake it Off would not be out of place on that list.

EDIT: Having said that I have to admit the all time lists are at least closer to what are actually the greatest songs of all time.
Oh god, I bet that Say Geronimo track is going to chart (if not get top 10). Fuck that song is annoying!

For Windows 8, you can download media from MS that will accept an upgrade key: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

They haven't released details on exactly how it will work with Windows 10, but I'm sure you'll get an upgrade key, and there's always been an official way to install upgrade editions without needing a full install of the previous version.
Downloading Windows 8.1 (full install, not the update to 8) with a Windows 8 key was such a royal cunt to download. I think I had to start a download, cancel it, log back into the downloader thing and try downloading it again. Or something. Such a piece of shit.

What do we know about 10? I haven't been paying any attention to it at all. Wonder if it'll be worth upgrading to it on my HTPC...

Edit: What the shit? Free upgrade to Windows 10 for users of Windows 7-8.1. Damn. Will make sure I at least get two new keys (one for my 8.1, one for my 7) licenses.

Stackboy

Hay guys, work has been super busy the last few days. Waaaaay too many card sorting sessions.

Sweet as, just got a Stan invite.

Me too, they must be sending out a bunch.

Well I got a Stan invite too. Doing some searches it is indeed limited, though thats hardly shocking for a new service and the way it seems rights are split in Australia (no Disney or WB content from what I can see for instance).

Certainly BBC and ABC content seems more prominent than on Netflix.

One curious thing given who owns it is I'm struggling to find Nine made TV shows.

Checked my email, and I got one as well. There isn't much content but as you said, not surprising, considering it hasn't even officially launched. I think I will keep it for a few months and see how it goes. Also quite a lot is in HD which is surprising but good.

edit: most (all?) of the TV shows are lacking a "HD" icon, but when I played a few of them they let me play in HD. A nice start for the service, will be good to see how much content it gets over the next few months.

Time to make a Presidog card game.

Got my Stan code but I don't think i have a way to watch it on my TV. Awesome.

Are there any streaming services that just let me watch The Simpsons 24/7 or what

What's everyone doing on Australia Day? I haven't got any plans yet, but I'm still pretty excited.

Also, I need to try that Vegemite pizza, ahhh

Just got my Stan free trial. It's happening!

Wheeeeeeeee lots of quotes, I got mine too! No way to currently stream it to my TV, so I might finally bite on on of those Google USB stick thingies.

ALSO! BrisGAF! I will be on the radio tonight talking about SMASH BROS and how great it is to SMASH some BROS. Tune into 4ZZZ - 102.1 FM at 6pm tonight! OH YEAH!

AusGAF folk can listen live too! http://4zzz.org.au/listen-online

How did it go Gaz? I've decided I'll buy a WiiU the week of E3 (which I'm having off because I love that hype train).

Free Windows 10 upgrade, well played MS.

Pretty interested in this. My PC will be about 3 years old by then, curious to see if it will run OK.

jambo

It was never played on the station and has already won every award going around.

Like I said, seems like the equivalent of wanting The Last of Us to win the RockPaperShotgun GotY.

Fogz

Wheeeeeeeee lots of quotes, I got mine too! No way to currently stream it to my TV, so I might finally bite on on of those Google USB stick thingies.

I run into the same problem last night, might stop by Dick Smith after work and get one

so looks like people are trying to get Adam Baldwin uninvited from Supernova cause of gamergate huh

Oh god, I bet that Say Geronimo track is going to chart (if not get top 10). Fuck that song is annoying!

Looks like it was never played on JJJ and unlike taylor swiffles doesn't have a campaign behind it, so I think we're good!

Gazunta

How did it go Gaz? I've decided I'll buy a WiiU the week of E3 (which I'm having off because I love that hype train).
Went well! Was nice to be back in game reviewer mode instead of PIMPING STUFF mode.

And yeah, this Baldwin stuff just makes me wanna not do that convention any more oh wait I already decided I wasn't going to do it again anyway nevermind

I love you Kickstarter and Patreon

That wouldn't be a problem if they didn't act like anything they don't or didn't play is rubbish.
If you don't play it, don't rubbish it. Live and let live. The arrogance and smugness that I perceive is what annoys me (and what drew the euphoric comparison).

Link? Where are you getting this from? When do Triple J rubbish music they don't play? I listen to it fairly regularly during work hours and I've never heard, "Those other music stations are playing the same 20 songs they've played for the last 3 months over and over again and are complete shit".

Sounds more like you're projecting your own issues onto the station and their listeners.

Drug soaked hippies just being mad that a pop/country song can top their holy grail of lists.

See again, this is really strange to see people on a videogame message board, people partaking in a constantly stereotyped hobby, say. Sweeping generalisations about a market of people that you'd expect to be false for the vast majority of said market? Why make that kind of remark?

Heh, I hate to break this to you Shaneus but that station you've been listening to, the one you think is Triple J? Pretty sure that's not it if you think Say Geronimo gets airplay there ;)

Bay/Coast/Region FM tends to play it a fair bit, I feel like it's the new The Fray now that they have fallen out of popularity with the mainstream FM channels. My sister-in-law loves them, they played at the Denny ute muster apparently. Not a big fan of the song but it's inoffensive enough I don't mind hearing it every now and then (as long as it's not every damn day).

One FM track I really like that is similar is that Cool Kids song. Wish that got more attention.

Also Hottest 100 is mainly a Triple J listeners thing. You get a wider range of people voting through seeing chatter about it on social media but for the most part it's advertised only on Triple J stuff rather than on TV/other radio stations/newspapers.

Yup even Triple J move on pretty quick, it's more a survey on their listeners to see what everyone enjoyed the most. Thankfully I haven't come across anyone who takes it too seriously, it's a good indication of what was hot on Triple J at the time and can really help some artists get more attention but it's not like an industry standard thing like the Grammys.

Deserve is an odd word to use as the top track does indeed deserve to be #1 since it got the most votes, that's what the poll is for. Maybe you mean "cater to everyone" rather than deserve. The winning tracks from the last decade have all been great, even if they aren't my cup of tea. They were insanely popular with Triple J listeners.

Shaneus

1. No more full screen start menu.
2. Gravy.
Thank Christ.

Looks like it was never played on JJJ and unlike taylor swiffles doesn't have a campaign behind it, so I think we're good!
Thank Christ.

Heh, I hate to break this to you Shaneus but that station you've been listening to, the one you think is Triple J? Pretty sure that's not it if you think Say Geronimo gets airplay there ;)

Bay/Coast/Region FM tends to play it a fair bit, I feel like it's the new The Fray now that they have fallen out of popularity with the mainstream FM channels. My sister-in-law loves them, they played at the Denny ute muster apparently. Not a big fan of the song but it's inoffensive enough I don't mind hearing it every now and then (as long as it's not every damn day).
Whenever I'm in a supermarket. Or some kind of eatery. Or watching TV and a fucking Subway ad comes on. Or an ad for a TV show that feels it requires that feel good-type music like that tripe. The song is fucking everywhere.

markot

Banned
uplay? more like udontplay!

Tried to play some anno 2070. Cant even launch it.

And ubisoft is on the list. Moreso. Cause they already were. Cause they suck.

Also screw you abc news.

Abbott slaps down talk of leadership change as MPs voice frustration

Thats their headline. That split second when I think its 'steps down'...

kyser73

RE: Taylor/Hot 100

Given that the Ronson/Mars paint-by-numbers-funk Uptown Funk is apparently doing very well, I find the gnashing over Taylor's entry to be somewhat...lacking in musical history.

I mean it's (Uptown Funk) a listenable, well made and well produced record. It's just...well, much as everyone gushed over Ronson and his work with Amy Winehouse in which he successfully remade 50s/60s-era sounds and passed it off as original, Uptown Funk is even more remade 70s sounds, yet I'm not hearing a clamour about that from my Aussie indie-style friends in the way they're all upset by Taylor.

Let me be clear - I really love JJJ. Its introduced me to some great Aussie bands in my first 8 months here, and the combination of being ad-free and having a pretty eclectic playlist reminds me of BBC radio programming - especially Radio 6. But this preciousness about Taylor is almost as cringe-worthy as reading about Cindy coffee aficionados asking for their brew at a specific temperature...

Also - that Say Geronimo tune has been played a lot on JJJ and yes, it drives me up the wall too.

Mannnnnn this weather is insane. One minute its cloudly looking like rain then it's beautiful blue skies then dank and humid once the clouds roll back in >_<

I mean it's (Uptown Funk) a listenable, well made and well produced record. It's just...well, much as everyone gushed over Ronson and his work with Amy Winehouse in which he successfully remade 50s/60s-era sounds and passed it off as original, Uptown Funk is even more remade 70s sounds, yet I'm not hearing a clamour about that from my Aussie indie-style friends in the way they're all upset by Taylor.
Uptown Funk has got a lot of airplay on Triple J, which is why people aren't irritated that it's getting a lot of votes. Because it's a song that Triple J listeners have been listening to.

Also - that Say Geronimo tune has been played a lot on JJJ and yes, it drives me up the wall too.

Wait, are you sure you're listening to Triple J and not a different FM station? I checked J Play out of interest and they have no record of Say Geronimo or even the artist Sheppard being played on Triple J.

kyser73

Mannnnnn this weather is insane. One minute its cloudly looking like rain then it's beautiful blue skies then dank and humid once the clouds roll back in >_<

Uptown Funk has got a lot of airplay on Triple J, which is why people aren't irritated that it's getting a lot of votes. Because it's a song that Triple J listeners have been listening to.

Wait, are you sure you're listening to Triple J and not a different FM station? I checked J Play out of interest and they have no record of Say Geronimo or even the artist Sheppard being played on Triple J.

Shit brother, I can't imagine what else I might have been listening to!

I blame my wife. She must've changed the station for rude words/kiddies in car reasons. Grrr.

Omikron

Might actually be going back to work after Australia day. Will be weird. Longest break I have had in about 10 years I reckon.

(and by break, I mean being in the hospital every day with the boys)

Card Boy

Banned
Might sub to Stan until Netflix is out. The selection is pretty poor at the moment, i understand its a new service and still not publicly released but there is way too much old stuff and not enough of it. The latter is what is off-putting the most, if your gonna have old stuff then you better have a lot of it. Also no subtitles is another strike against the service considering FetchTV and Netflix offers it.

Edit: Chrome, IE or Firefox the browser experience is slow and cluncky, i suspect this is due to Silverlight. Needs a dedicated app on ATV3, WDTV, PS3/PS4, 360/Xbone.

Might actually be going back to work after Australia day. Will be weird. Longest break I have had in about 10 years I reckon.

(and by break, I mean being in the hospital every day with the boys)

How will you have been off for all up?

Also no subtitles is another strike against the service considering FetchTV and Netflix offers it.

Ah yeah I didn't think about that. Maybe they'll implement them at some point but that certainly is a strike against it.

Shit brother, I can't imagine what else I might have been listening to!

I blame my wife. She must've changed the station for rude words/kiddies in car reasons. Grrr.

If you want to get into the REAL real shit you should be listening to ZZZ. I mostly listen to Double J at work, JJJ's internet radio cousin aimed at a 30+ audience (see: no aussie hip hop or dubstep)

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
just posting this here, as i'd previously said otherwise about one of the points! but the facts available to GAF have since changed!
A quick catch-up for anyone who is joining the thread and has any questions on how this all works.

1. Games with an announced release date: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (available now), Donkey Kong Country Returns (Jan. 22nd in Europe), Punch-Out!! (Jan. 22nd in the US) and Metroid Prime Trilogy (Jan 29th). All of these titles will cost $20 (or regional equivalent), but they will be on sale for half price ($10 or regional equivalent) during their first week on the eShop.
  2. Games planned for future release, without specific release dates given: Kirby's Adventure Wii (aka Return to Dreamland in the US), Punch-Out!! (in Europe), Pandora's Tower and Sin & Punishment: Star Successor. I assume that DK Country Returns will be available some time in the future in the US as well.
  3. Super Mario Galaxy 2's download size is 1.3 GB.
  4. The Wii U Gamepad can be now used for both off-screen play AND as a control method in games that originally supported the Wii Classic Controller (Pro).
  5. Of the titles announced for Europe and the US, only Pandora's Tower and Sin & Punishment support the CCP.
  6. This means that, at this very moment, we do not know whether this feature will be implemented as a system-wide option or it will be restricted to eShop versions of Wii games. We will have to wait and see for any official confirmation on either possibility.
  7. There is no support for the Wii U Pro Controller or GameCube controller via adapter.
  8. eShop/Virtual Console Wii games are not HD remasters. They are the exact same Wii game that you can buy on disc, with the added advantage of not having to swap discs and being capable of skipping the vWii menu. The game seems to be running in vWii mode, for all intents and purposes (no Miiverse, Wii U menu, etc.).
  9. The Wii U Gamepad has a built-in sensor bar that can be used instead of the external one included with the Wii and Wii U. You still need a Wiimote + Nunchuk to play Super Mario Galaxy 2 (and any other game other than S&P and Pandora's Tower!).

Caramello

Why do donkey Kong games so..... Soulless? I've felt that way since I first tried that old dkc game... Something's missing.

In fact, I include the original dk game too.

I just finished Tropical Freeze and I can't imagine anybody thinking of it as soulless.

Rezbit

just posting this here, as i'd previously said otherwise about one of the points! but the facts available to GAF have since changed!

Defs in for Metroid Prime Trilogy for 13 bucks but that's probably it.

Also didn't really listen to any new music last year. Accidentally heard the new Purity Ring song which probs is my number 1 by default.

With the Taylor Swift being disqualified for KFC promoting the hashtag, couldn't like any company just jump on twitter and promote Peking Duk or Chet Faker and ruin them as well? Seems a bit stupid to have that be the reason she's out, rather than like, her not being played on Triple J.

Defs in for Metroid Prime Trilogy for 13 bucks but that's probably it.

Also didn't really listen to any new music last year. Accidentally heard the new Purity Ring song which probs is my number 1 by default.

Yeah the new album should be awesome, really loved their last one.

Also yeah, in for MP Trilogy next week, no interest in DKCR.

Fredescu

The blue flashing light prompted me to buy DKCR, but the quaint little system doesn't allow you to buy anything you don't have free space for. Guess I'll have to plug in a drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom