• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

r1chard

Turns out my old PC had great timing for dying - there's an Intel CPU refresh due in a couple of weeks which will include mobo refreshes. Problem is I needed the new PC now :-( So the parts I wanted (and my alt parts if they were out of stock) were sold out everywhere I tried. Got a reasonable setup in the end though. And the Fractal Design S case is both a dream to work with and practically silent without really putting any effort into making it so.

Qld gaf

I'm thinking of booking a trip to Noosa, seeing as I've never been there before it would be amazing if you could give me some pointers.

Were looking at mid Feb to mid March, trying to avoid holiday rush etc. Will it still be warm enough for beach days?
Also there seem to be a couple different Noosa's is there any part of town better than the other, or more conveniently located?

What's your budget? The water should still be nice around that time, hell the water is basically nice year round in qld. It's very pretty nature wise, not sure what else there is to do besides surf (gets stupidly packed if the surf is half decent). Lots of cafes etc.

Cerity

I'd say skip noosa and head a bit further up to rainbow beach. Amazing place, esp if you like 4wd'ing and even then it's stunning.

Were looking at mid Feb to mid March, trying to avoid holiday rush etc. Will it still be warm enough for beach days?
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

yes. bring a towel.

Anyone got any tips on getting cheap winter gear? prepping for my trip to SK in a month and need some warm stuff ( -7 to 4 degrees on avg apparently). I went and checked out Kathmandu and Northface earlier today but things seem stupid expensive, even on sale. Also checked out anaconda but things felt pretty flimsy.

We're going to be stopping over at changi airport for a stupid amount of time so I'm thinking we might just get our thermals/coats there - seems to be a Uniqlo there. But on that note I am also worried about sizing.

maybe Kathmandu during January sales. The stuff I got from there last year was really helpful for coping with British weather.

Also Moongred, if you're near Brisbane or passing through- go to the Breakfast Creek Hotel for a steak.

HowZatOZ

Banned
and lol Zat ever sneek on to any of the rides ?
Funny enough yeah haha, they use to only have shitty wire fencing lining the back part of dreamworld so we'd just jump the fence into the old pool area they had. That or just ask for a stamp out and wet it a bit to put on other friend's wrists.

MoonGred

Nah I'm Melbourne based, in fact in the 5 years that I've been in Australia I've never been to Qld, NSW or WA.

Budget for the Queensland trip would be fairly limited as we just want to do it as a short getaway, and only plan on spending 4 days there orso with another day in Brisbane to meet up with some friends.
Not looking to do heaps of touristy things, just want to relax and enjoy some nice beaches
that don't give you gastro

Rizzi

Monitors are confusing. Looking to get a new monitor and it seems like I have to make a billion decisions before I even start looking.

Quasar

Monitors are confusing. Looking to get a new monitor and it seems like I have to make a billion decisions before I even start looking.

Yeah. Just like TV buying now I'm sitting on my hands. And having things like HDR monitors that don't support the video HDR formats makes it even more confusing.

MoonGred

X_X

$1500 is too much to pay for a monitor!

Just do it! Playing games that support 21:9 resolutions keeps being jaw dropping.

It's way too much money

Yeah. Just like TV buying now I'm sitting on my hands. And having things like HDR monitors that don't support the video HDR formats makes it even more confusing.

Tvs are far worse, it's one of the most confusing technologies there is. A million different formats, model numbers vary which makes looking up info an absolute nightmare.

The Tv I currently have supports HDR, when I finally figured how to enable it for the ps4 Pro it caused a whole bunch of issues, for some reason my TV won't recognize the ps4 half the time. When I did end up using it with FFXV I was surprised by the depth of color it adds but for some reason it also caused a whole bunch of motion blur, when running text or icons would become super hazy

X_X

$1500 is too much to pay for a monitor!

You can get it for $1300 if that matters!

I was about to buy a new computer 6700k 1070/1080 and now this week the big two are announcing new cards etc... Might never happen at this rate.

So I bought a PS4 instead to hold me over.

Stackboy

Qld gaf

I'm thinking of booking a trip to Noosa, seeing as I've never been there before it would be amazing if you could give me some pointers.

Also there seem to be a couple different Noosa's is there any part of town better than the other, or more conveniently located?

We stayed up there a few months back. We stayed in Noosaville, which is the bit tucked in behind Noosa. I'll PM you the accom we stayed at, it was really nice!

Rizzi

I need to decide if I want to pay the extra and get a monitor with an IPS panel instead of a TN panel, if freesync is worth it, what the refresh rate I want is, or if I want to get an ultrawide monitor.

Too many choices. D:

Cerity

Just depends on the games you play TBH.

I've got a 27" korean job, IPS, qhd and a freesync range of 24-75hz. I wish I had just gone with a 144hz monitor instead of freesync. Not many games I play nowadays move fully between that rate, they either can run at the full 75 fps or putt along pretty well within a lower range.

MoonGred

I need to decide if I want to pay the extra and get a monitor with an IPS panel instead of a TN panel, if freesync is worth it, what the refresh rate I want is, or if I want to get an ultrawide monitor.

Too many choices. D:

Definitely go IPS.

But as Cerity said maybe look into some of the Korean monitors, they offer really good bang for your buck. I had a Xstar up until recently and the panel was perfect, the only downside to them is that the monitor itself doesn't look all that nice

Rizzi

It seems like I can either get a TN panel with FreeSync and a 75Hz refresh rate for cheapish, or pay twice the price for a 144Hz FreeSync TN panel monitor. IPS monitors seem like they're way too expensive, and have higher response times?

Where do I look at Korean monitors?

MoonGred

It seems like I can either get a TN panel with FreeSync and a 75Hz refresh rate for cheapish, or pay twice the price for a 144Hz FreeSync TN panel monitor. IPS monitors seem like they're way too expensive, and have higher response times?

Where do I look at Korean monitors?

They're all on ebay.

This is the one I bought 2 years ago, from the same seller as well.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/X-star-D...S-Computer-Monitor-Free-Express-/330932578190

edit: there seem to be a bunch of new ones with stock higher refresh rates - https://www.monitornerds.com/best-korean-monitors-cheap/

Rizzi

I traded in my PS4 and got a Pro.
Aaaaaand completely forgot to backup my saves before I wiped it.
Good work me.

Jintor

Tossing up between Switch or PSPro in March/April. I guess it'll depend on the Switch's launch lineup, otherwise I'll just wait until later in the year.

Probably won't have sufficient free time anyway... but I quite want to play Nier Automata and P5 in english

Rahk

Tossing up between Switch or PSPro in March/April. I guess it'll depend on the Switch's launch lineup, otherwise I'll just wait until later in the year.

Probably won't have sufficient free time anyway... but I quite want to play Nier Automata and P5 in english
I'm trying to decide what to buy to play games on while I'm in Japan for a year or so. Gaming laptop, PS4 or Switch.

What did you do while you were working here? Did you have anything to play PC games? Any consoles?

Jintor

I'm trying to decide what to buy to play games on while I'm in Japan for a year or so. Gaming laptop, PS4 or Switch.

What did you do while you were working here? Did you have anything to play PC games? Any consoles?

Are you doing the eigo teaching? What's up?

I bought a small PC for less than AUD $1000 (I think it worked out to like $700) while I was there, and also had my Wii U, as well as my Vita and 3DS. All worthwhile. I could have survived just on the PC and a portable console I think, but it was nice having the Wii U as well - played a lot of Bayo, Bayo 2, and Splatoon.

Nah Shannon does, he just got me on board back in 2015 to give me somewhere to put all my gaming bargains up on. I work full time so I barely have enough time as it is!

3c36546b5eb1c5167be40dd039db260f

not this Shannon right ? i just figured it was yours or a full timers gig because its a bit sparse on content some times ....

glad your in charge of the bargin hunt those rep its more helpful then you relise :)

Shaneus

Hey Shaneus, this is the Fidget Cube knockoff I bought. $7.69 posted, took about 2.5 weeks.

It's actually pretty good quality and same design as the Kickstarter one for the most part even down to one of the dice buttons being solid and only one end of the rocker making noise. Son is attached to it already and got really upset when he thought he lost it at the carols tonight but thankfully had left it home.

Pretty funny considering the Kickstarter went on about how no company could possibly produce them this quickly. I expect quality on Kickstarter ones will be better but it's a great example of how quickly China can produce decent quality copies insanely fast at an insanely low price.
Holy shit, I just went to buy this, and it's now only $1. Including shipping.

Obviously, I'm still in for that one from your KS backing if that's cool :)

Edit: Never mind, it was just a sticker as one of the options that was $1. Damn.

MoonGred

Holy shit, I just went to buy this, and it's now only $1. Including shipping.

Obviously, I'm still in for that one from your KS backing if that's cool :)

Edit: Never mind, it was just a sticker as one of the options that was $1. Damn.

You got me before you made the edit, ready to jump in for a dollar.

Does anyone have any recommendation for an audio source swap program, up until last week I used one that was recommended by some people on Gaf, unfortunately I did a clean install of Windows and forgot the name of it.

i now understand why people get mad at centrelink

seriously you just need to enter my details into the system, the fuckin dude said it would take a few days, fast forward about three months and im still without payments due to a glitch or error in the system like what the fuck kinda glitch makes it so you cannot put my details in and press save

on a related note, im transferring unis, i have to tell centrelink right? how so?

I wanted to see a non-Rogue One movie (there is such a thing but I've already seen that twice) so my bro and I went to see Moana.

Eh. It's alright. Possibly better than Brave but its no Frozen or Zootopia or even Wreck It Ralph.

but goddamn it, I love that chicken.

I wanted to see a non-Rogue One movie (there is such a thing but I've already seen that twice) so my bro and I went to see Moana.

Eh. It's alright. Possibly better than Brave but its no Frozen or Zootopia or even Wreck It Ralph.

but goddamn it, I love that chicken.
My son was terrified by Moana. He wanted to see it because it had boats in it (he loves Wind Waker and anything pirate themed), but he wasn't prepared to watch Moana nearly drowning to ominous music. He was okay by the end, but at points I swear he was practically shaking.

My son was terrified by Moana. He wanted to see it because it had boats in it (he loves Wind Waker and anything pirate themed), but he wasn't prepared to watch Moana nearly drowning to ominous music. He was okay by the end, but at points I swear he was practically shaking.

I too was scared when, sitting in Gold Class, I saw a silhouette of a pram go past the screen.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom