• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF - Twice the price, a year late, filtered and seized by customs

Status
Not open for further replies.

trinest

Quasar said:
Well MS is offering a free 2010 upgrade to new 2007 buyers apparently. Definitely looking into that special student deal as I imagine soon my 2010 beta will expire.
Ah okay, I thought they where going to start that later, well check to see if they are really are doing it then maybe get it through them? Don't they offer student deals on their site?

Quasar

So reading the Office 2010 Free Upgrade FAQ, I'm still not clear on whether a 'Its not Cheating' copy of 2007 would be eligible. Anyone know?

Ydahs

Quasar said:
So reading the Office 2010 Free Upgrade FAQ, I'm still not clear on whether a 'Its not Cheating' copy of 2007 would be eligible. Anyone know?
On the 'It's Not Cheating' website, when you roll your mouse over that robber dude in the corner, it confirms you are eligible for the upgrade.

Guess I'll get it through the website. Thanks to everyone who helped!

Nemesis_

Quasar said:
Well MS is offering a free 2010 upgrade to new 2007 buyers apparently. Definitely looking into that special student deal as I imagine soon my 2010 beta will expire.

Really? How does that work? The FAQ page isn't very clear. I would definitely snap it up if that's true.

d4533

so i just bought a new PC (i figure 5 years with no upgrades is a long enough time to finally get a new one). One thing i didn't buy yet was some new speakers. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a decently priced speaker set?

Also, now that I'll have a PC capable of playing new games, does anyone have any suggestions on what to pick up? I already have the orange box and BF:BC2 but does anyone have any other suggestions?

Finally, who do i have to message to get an invite the ausgaf steam group?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
d4533 said:
so i just bought a new PC (i figure 5 years with no upgrades is a long enough time to finally get a new one). One thing i didn't buy yet was some new speakers. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a decently priced speaker set?

Also, now that I'll have a PC capable of playing new games, does anyone have any suggestions on what to pick up? I already have the orange box and BF:BC2 but does anyone have any other suggestions?

Finally, who do i have to message to get an invite the ausgaf steam group?

Me. And speakers, who knows. It all depends on what you want and price range. Just send me a msg over steam and i can add you that way.

You also need Altitude. YOU. NEED. ALTITUDE. You need it. It is only the best game ever made ever in the history of things being made.

I wouldn't go that far, but it's really fun; you should get it.

Bernbaum

Godamnit, my graphics card is on the fritz.

My other 8800 GT failed a few weeks ago, so I chucked it out and scaled back from SLI to a single card, now this one is on the way out.

Really want to wrap up Bioshock 2, and then I'll have plenty of console stuff to play. Can't justify a new card, as I pretty much need to upgrade everything else to make it worth my while and I'm kinda holding out for the Fermi cards to be released before I make a decision on whether I switch to ATi or not.

If anyone has a spare 8-series or equivalent card or later that they wouldn't mind offloading for a few bucks, that would be super. Just something that'll let me play Bioshock 2 without my system dying in the arse.

I live pretty close to the CBD and while the haild was pretty impressive, nothing like the golf ball sized ones that have seemed to wreck etihads roof. My car is parked down the road and i havent checked it yet. kinda worried about going for a look now. certainly came from nowhere though.

Have preorder FF XIII, public holiday tomorow! wish JB would release early.

Has it stormed in the CBD today? There's not even been a drop of rain in the South East. I've been too scared to leave the house to get a video in case I get caught in a sudden hailstorm!

Waikis

Jamie xxoo said:
Has it stormed in the CBD today? There's not even been a drop of rain in the South East. I've been too scared to leave the house to get a video in case I get caught in a sudden hailstorm!

Nope, sky's clear in cbd atm.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Jamie xxoo said:

Nothing in the south east here either. Haven't seen any mention of rain in the CBD either. So i'm guessing it's nice and safe today.

Bernbaum

Hey evlcookie, you're a PC hardware guy, got any spare graphics cards floating around for me?

This may be an act of the PC gods who've learnt about my new Mac.

Also, what are your thoughts on the new Fermi tech?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Bernbaum said:
Hey evlcookie, you're a PC hardware guy, got any spare graphics cards floating around for me?

This may be an act of the PC gods who've learnt about my new Mac.

Also, what are your thoughts on the new Fermi tech?

No spare graphics cards floating around here. Not that i know of anyway :lol. Did you blow up your PC bern? I bet the mac did it.

As for Fermi, it's going to be interesting. Not too sure how to feel about it yet. It could be amazing or it could be amazingly bad. It comes so late after the 5 series from ATi though and we know ATi is going to do a refresh in a few months. So Fermi could come out, be awesome but require a backup generator to work but ATi can drop a faster, quieter, less power hungry refresh a few months later.

It's a very interesting and odd time.

Bernbaum

evlcookie said:
No spare graphics cards floating around here. Not that i know of anyway :lol. Did you blow up your PC bern? I bet the mac did it.

As for Fermi, it's going to be interesting. Not too sure how to feel about it yet. It could be amazing or it could be amazingly bad. It comes so late after the 5 series from ATi though and we know ATi is going to do a refresh in a few months. So Fermi could come out, be awesome but require a backup generator to work but ATi can drop a faster, quieter, less power hungry refresh a few months later.

It's a very interesting and odd time.
Yeah I think that's why I'm gonna wait. It's not that I'm specifically interested in the GT400, it's just that I want to see where the graphics card market as a whole is heading. Not a lot on the PC front that I'm itching to play - I'll wait for my upgrade before diving into Mass Effect 2, and Crysis 2 will be one of those games that I'll mindlessly purchase.

My 8800 GT is still kinda holding on - it's been crashing to Windows when I play Bioshock 2, with increading frequency in the last few days, and I just got my first BSoD. It's enough to put me off picking up BFBC2 which is a real shame - half my Steam friends list appears to be playing the hell out of it.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Bernbaum said:
Yeah I think that's why I'm gonna wait. It's not that I'm specifically interested in the GT400, it's just that I want to see where the graphics card market as a whole is heading. Not a lot on the PC front that I'm itching to play - I'll wait for my upgrade before diving into Mass Effect 2, and Crysis 2 will be one of those games that I'll mindlessly purchase.

My 8800 GT is still kinda holding on - it's been crashing to Windows when I play Bioshock 2, with increading frequency in the last few days, and I just got my first BSoD. It's enough to put me off picking up BFBC2 which is a real shame - half my Steam friends list appears to be playing the hell out of it.

Most of us in the ausgaf group are playing it, when it's actually working that is! Fucking EA better sort their shit out soon, it's getting a bit silly.

You sure it's the videocard that's causing the crashes? It's probably overheating but still. Maybe get in the case and clean / check temps with apps.

Bernbaum

GPU core idling at 70-80 degrees, >80 under load.

CPU 40-50 with a Zalman 9700LED cooler. It's an AMD 6400 - the fastest non AM2+ dual core from AMD, and a notoriously hot chip. The Zalman is the only thing keeping it from exploding.

Bernbaum

Yeah Fred I was thinking that. I was hoping to hold onto this 8800GT as the PhysX card for my next upgrade, but if it goes arse-up then there is a lot of logic in getting an in-betweener card that I won't lose value on when I do an upgrade proper.

If anything, a low-end GT200 series card would reduce power consumption, cut back on internal heat and provide better airflow.

As for PhysX, well, there's Mirror's Edge which looks superb with the effects enabled, as well as Batman Arkham Asylum which I have yet to enjoy. Not sure about PhysX - it's not quite common enough to make it a must-have consideration in a hardware package.

Fuck I love my new Mac.

EDIT: Just had a little look around - I'd get better price/performance value with a 9800GT - $116 from my favourite retailer.

Anyone heard anything good about Qantm College or Billy Blue Colleges?

Do you guys know of anyone that had done one and said they were good.

Thinking of doing one but I want to see the general consensus.

Rlan

untoldhero said:
Anyone heard anything good about Qantm College or Billy Blue Colleges?

Do you guys know of anyone that had done one and said they were good.

Thinking of doing one but I want to see the general consensus.

A ton of Halfbrick guys went through the Qantm experience, they all seem to love it considering a bunch for them went through it the same time as each other.

Ventron

I think I just came down with a cold or flu. Horrible timing.

Rlan said:
A ton of Halfbrick guys went through the Qantm experience, they all seem to love it considering a bunch for them went through it the same time as each other.

I'm about to conclude a uni computer science degree (yay for writing a PL0 compiler :D ) but I've always wanted to give games a go (I just need a new computer, grrrr). I think graphics and animation is one area I need to pick up if I want to get into this, anyone have any experience with Qantm's or other institutions' graphics/animation courses? Degree or diploma?

Oh damn, I guess that means the rest of ours won't be too far away. Mine'll probably come tomorrow or Wednesday knowing my luck, as well as the fact that I live out in the country.

Fuck, cold is in full effect now. :l Couple that was a coldsore (on my eye...) and that makes for a very average first day at Uni for class. I had to come home because I feel like balls, going back at 10.30 though. And of course it's a public holiday, so my GP is out so I have to go to a public clinic to get eye cream. *shudder

The coldsore forms underneath the bottom eyelid on my right eye and also creates little cists on the eye itself. If you leave it too long it forms pustule like things around the eye that start out looking like infected mosquito bites. First time I got in in primary school, was fucked up. Took a month to get rid of it and clean it up because by then it had closed over with puss and could not open and was swollen as fuck. Could have gone blind too. I get them every now and then but I usually nip them in the bud. Today/last night I was not so lucky, the cream I have is old and effectively made it worse. So my right eye is weeping, inflamed and bright red.
I have pics of me as a kid with it real bad, but they are printed photos and I have no idea where they are. I just tried with my phone camera and got 2 pics of my nose and a blurry pupil :lol
Not fun, they make me really run down. Especially when they are this bad, and I also have a cold! I have to go to some shitty clinic at 12.30 just for a script. So I won't get to talk to the 'doctor' until 2.00 probably which will take 5 minutes to get it. For some reason I can't get a repeat script on this eye cream, I have to see the doctor every time to get one. Fucking frustrating.

xMk2x

Banned
the-fly-1986-jeff-goldblum22.jpg

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
What is that? It looks awesome :lol

Lavender too!! You like get this don't you ban? :p

Edit: Body lotion and body butter. Oh awesome :D

evlcookie said:
What is that? It looks awesome :lol

Lavender too!! You like get this don't you ban? :p

Edit: Body lotion and body butter. Oh awesome :D

LAVENDER!!!

I'm pretty happy with my haul. Lotion has so many uses :lol

It rubs the lotion on it's skin, etc

Deeku

Bernbaum said:
This bag of crap business is turning out to be the worst fucking idea ever.
Agreed. I could have bought a copy of Shiren for DS.

At this stage, I don't think I really want mine to arrive.:lol

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I really hope my bag of crap isn't to crappy. It's going to make it hard to explain to my family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom