• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
SgHPeif.gif

I guess I should be thankful, for you driving me to pick this up now, but I hope to see that decision of yours reversed by the time I finish this!

jonjonaug

Stuff I watched in descending order of enjoyability

Thunderbolt Fantasy: Gen Urobuchi's wuxia puppets was unsurprisingly the hit of the season. The dialogue and characters were top notch, as is usual with Urobuchi. The fight scene choreography was very impressive. The few major plot twists toward the end were very enjoyable. Sawano even did a pretty good job outside of that main fight theme that got overused. 9/10

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4 (continuing): Rohan is hilarious and Kira is legit terrifying. It's starting to edge out part 2 for my favorite Jojo part. 9/10

Mob Psycho 100: I didn't know what to expect going in and was pleasantly surprised at how much better this was than OPM. Loads of likable characters, great animation that doesn't feel like a break in the overall style like OPM's big scenes sometimes were, and a kickass OP. 9/10

Danganronpa 3: Meh. Future arc was a bunch of boring fights and Despair arc was a series of asspulls and uninteresting drama. The best single episode of the entire series was the Ultra Despair Girls focused one, mostly because it barely mattered at all and could exist in its own little dumb bubble. Couldn't commit to its own most interesting plot twist. There's a lot of individual scenes that I liked, but I can't say I liked this one all that much when taken as a whole. At least the final episode was fun as just dumb fanservice. 6/10 for both sides, 7/10 for the last episode.

Rewrite: The first half of the anime was a super abridged version of the common route that didn't really convey its hilarious surrealism very well outside of that one montage sequence near the end. The second half was a pretty alright new "route" that doesn't exist in the game almost at all, with only a couple of scenes being lifted from other routes in the game. While I liked the new material and the people involved clearly cared about the original work, this is not something that could have been done in only one season. Constant, obvious production issues also hurt a lot. Apparently they're making a season 2 of this, to which I can only say "why?" and "welp, good luck adapting those impossible to adapt scenes in the Moon route". 6/10

The Highschool Life of a Fudanshi: I can relate to some of the jokes in this, but outside of a few really good scenes that were mostly contained in the first few episodes this is a pretty mediocre slice of life series. 6/10

Line_HTX

Just to inform everyone here, I wish you a happy good time on the newer anime show. As for me, I will be passing on from this place for a bit of time as something have come up and I will pop by somewhere in south east Asia to my home country. Don't know if I will come out alive from this but will say, it was a great time here with you people here. I hope I will come back here once everything settle on my side and start going through the backlogged of show I didn't have time to get through right now.

jiTZqUx.png

Best of luck, John Blade. I want to read your writeups again someday.

T_T 7

TheRancor

It has been mentioned by people like Studio Ghibli's Executive Imaging Director Atsushi Okui that the digital master is downconverted to FHD directly from that Digital Intermediate (DI) I posted about earlier, at a 4K resolution while already conformed and color-graded (anecdotally, this last step was mostly supervised by Mr. Miyazaki himself for the releases of the films he directed). That means much of the work could be already done.

One problem could reside on how, until recently, technologies for scan capture of the density range on motion picture negative only reached up to 2.3 (meaning ~1% of light is transmitted through a material, aprox.), while nowadays we are reaching the range in full of film, close to 3.3 (a ~0.1% of light transmission)... bringing useful photography terms; we are talking of a difference similar to 3 aperture stops of expanded range! The nowadays old process utilised at the time by PHL for the Ghibli Ga Ippai Collection BDs could not be apt at this levels (12-bit values per pixel). And for obtaining a truly full dynamic range, required for impending standards, this remains crucial.
Unless I'm misunderstanding something, I was actually thinking about digital movies not done on film such as My Neighbour The Yamadas and onwards. But the rest of the information you highlighted is interesting at least!

Cold Steel Chapter 4

So of course Rean
has a brocon little sister and a super mode that turns his hair white and eyes red
. Ugh.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 13

Goddamn, what a great show. I didn't stop smiling throughout the entire thing.

I will say,
I hope we see the necromancer again. If she's dead, she got off pretty easy.

Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin Overall Thoughts
90% chance of this not getting a second season and 10% of it happening?
BUT YOU CAN'T IGNORE THE 10% CAN'T YOU?! [/end unoriginal joke]

It's pretty good and y'all need to watch this. Something of note is the art style which differs from the manga in a bad way cause let's be fair, the manga art style is better ten times over. But other than that, this adaptation was quite good.
I recommend you give this a try

Line_HTX

Just pray that Alderamin goes the way of GATE and gets another season of airing.

Now I just have to pray that GATE gets a 3rd season.

Don't worry I'll be sure to post my impressions with screenshots!

Snipping Tool is your best friend. Many thanks to Thoraxes for showing me what I have missed out all this time.

/XX/

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, I was actually thinking about digital movies not done on film such as My Neighbour The Yamadas and onwards. But the rest of the information you highlighted is interesting at least!
Oh! Of course, yeah, for those productions the situation will be problematic, to say the least! In the case of My Neighbors the Yamadas, PHL's Yoshiichiro Kashiwagi acknowledges in the same interview I linked on my last post here that digital photography for this project was done at a 1,828 × 988 resolution, and utilised BT.709 standard colour space gamut. If I remember correctly, following productions like for example Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea were closely achieved at 2K resolution... so it could prove to be difficult to obtain on those films additional detail plus bringing digital painting highlights up to ranges worth of the impending digital disc formats, without something akin to a complete rework.

Qurupeke

Hmm, the season wasn't bad but there weren't lot of shows I watched anyway, and most of them weren't that great. In Monogatari terms it goes like that:

Gahara Tier
Mob Psycho 100

Hanekawa Tier
Diamond is Unbreakable
Orange
The second arc of Soma S2

Tsukihi Tier
Macross Δ
Re: Zero

Kanbaru Tier
91 Days
The first arc of Soma S2

------

Yotsugi Tier
Thunderbolt Fantasy

Branduil

Saw Koe no Katachi again. Still devastatingly good.

Didn't notice the implications of the Benevolent Fish God the first time, LOL.

TheRancor

Oh! Of course, yeah, for those productions the situation will be problematic, to say the least! In the case of My Neighbors the Yamadas, PHL's Yoshiichiro Kashiwagi acknowledges in the same interview I linked on my last post here that digital photography for this project was done at a 1,828 × 988 resolution, and utilised BT.709 standard colour space gamut. If I remember correctly, following productions like for example Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea were closely achieved at 2K resolution... so it could prove to be difficult to obtain on those films additional detail plus bringing digital painting highlights up to ranges worth of the impending digital disc formats, without something akin to a complete rework.
I've been wondering about this for a while, the article seemed rather challenging for me to go through, as always it's great of you to bring these facts to light, many thanks!

Dynedom

So wrapping things up:

Great Tier:
Aldemarin In The Sky
Sweetness and Lightning

Good Tier:
91 Days

Can't Blame Anyone But Myself Tier:
Macross Delta

Need To Watch Tier:
Mob Psycho 100
Thunderbolt Fantasy

Caim

After reading some of the impressions on previous pages I think I'm going to finally start Thunderbolt Fantasy.

Ascheroth

Kuromukuro #26 (END)

Wow, that was a great end. Kind of bittersweet, yet still somehow happy and full of hope. Liked it very much.
Honestly the 'epilogue' stretch these last 2 episodes was, was really good. Instead of having the big climax and wrapping it up with a quick '5 years later' segment (which they still had at the end of this episode, but it felt very much earned and properly timed), they put a lot of weight on the aftermath. This is something the series has been great with in general, dealing with aftermaths and immediate effects living in a 'battlezone' comes with.

But the biggest bomb was probably the reveal who Kayas dad was, which makes his ...weird and at times infuriating behaviour make so much sense in retrospect. Like holy shit.

jgminto

Great
Mob Psycho 100
Diamond is Unbreakable

Good
sweetness & lightning
Amanchu!

Average
The Morose Monokean

Shit I need to finish
Thunderbolt Fantasy
Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! LOVE!

Dropped garbage
DAYS
91 Days

Mailbox

New avi for a new season :3

hopefully i can catch up, watch stuff i missed and start new season shows by the end of the week!

Qurupeke

So...how's Orange? Heard multiple times how great the source material is. Does the anime at least half as good?

It's fine. I think it delivers what it promises and there's a very nice pay off. There are some production issues that are apparent so you might want to wait for the BD version.

Great
Mob Psycho 100
Diamond is Unbreakable

Good
sweetness & lightning
Amanchu!

Average
The Morose Monokean

Shit I need to finish
Thunderbolt Fantasy
Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! LOVE!

Dropped garbage
DAYS
91 Days
Amanchu is good and 91 Days is garbage? What is going on in this thread, did I wake up on the wrong side of my bed??

Exalted

Kuromukuro episode 25 - 26

Quite an interesting way the show concluded, was expecting a more conlusive ending, but it was still great. Thought that the last 2 episodes would be about the supposedly incoming enemy fleet
( which never arrived)
, but they went with an another route, which has possibilities of an S2. Overall the whole show was a very fun experience , and one of the best mecha shows i watched in a while.

So...how's Orange? Heard multiple times how great the source material is. Does the anime at least half as good?
I can think of several other shows that are better than it. I went into it expecting this grandiose plot because of how many people say the manga is great. Honestly, I thought it was just fine, nothing great, but fine. Ultimately the show got dragged down by an indecisive protagonist that is very unsecure and has some heavy self-confidence issues. One could argue that it is part of what makes the show great, seeing her come out of her shell, but again, to me it just made it a little annoying to me at times. The ending was good though, if you don't mind shoujo and are slightly interested in the concept of parallel worlds and different ramifications, give it a shot.

Deadly

Kuromukuro 26
Wow I did not expect it to go that way but it was really sweet at the same time. Not sure if I want a S2 or not since it concluded rather well.

Adult Sophie tho daaamn.

Not sure if it funny or sad that any attempts of serious storytelling in Occultic;Nine gets destroyed by two ridiculous big tits.

jgminto

Amanchu is good and 91 Days is garbage? What is going on in this thread, did I wake up on the wrong side of my bed??
Amanchu was a light hearted, fun story with a focus on an activity (deep sea diving) that it successfully conveys the characters' passion for and explores their emotional connections and development while 91 Days felt like a largely derivative crime narrative that squandered the visual character of the Prohibition era. From what I watched, it was obvious that the staff had little excitement for the setting and genre they were working with, which led to it lacking a concrete identity. So why would I watch 91 Days when there is so much crime fiction that does everything it attempts better?

Deadly

I can think of several other shows that are better than it. I went into it expecting this grandiose plot because of how many people say the manga is great. Honestly, I thought it was just fine, nothing great, but fine. Ultimately the show got dragged down by an indecisive protagonist that is very unsecure and has some heavy self-confidence issues. One could argue that it is part of what makes the show great, seeing her come out of her shell, but again, to me it just made it a little annoying to me at times. The ending was good though, if you don't mind shoujo and are slightly interested in the concept of parallel worlds and different ramifications, give it a shot.
I've only read the manga but I wouldn't exactly say it's "dragged down". If you consider she's just a teenage girl, it's not totally out of the ordinary to react how she does. There was only one scene that I thought was really really stupid
The temple one, I mean really?

Suwa for bestest friend in the multiverse though

Great final four episodes, had that old JoJo feel. Overall Part 3 and the 48 episodes were a far cry from part 2 in my mind but even then the monster.. Stand User of the week episodes had sometimes something fun going on. If JoJo part 2 was 9/10, stardust crusaders was a 6/10.

Will probably continue with Saiki now, will start JoJo Part 4 later, would love if the story arcs were handled a bit differently than in Part 3.

Szadek

Heartcatch Precure! Hana no To de Fashion Show... Desu ka!?
Very good movie.
It was a good decesion to focuson the new character and what he can learn from each of the cures.
The action was pretty good,too.

I have a hard to time letting go of the series and this movie helped a little, but chances are I will still rewatch a few more episode while trying to move to the next series.

Kuromukuro 26 END

Great ending. Great epilogue. Kaya dad reveal blowed my mind lol.

The characters were the best part, the soundtrack was ace and mech battles were enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom