• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time Bokan 24 - 1

Behold, the first show of the Fall Season!

A show that teaches children that everything in your history textbooks are LIES!

CtsOnrBWYAAj3xz.jpg:large

A show about a boy, girl, bird, and robot, that go all throughout history to find the TRUE HISTORY that's actually much funnier than all those lame textbooks!

But there's a group of dastardly schemeres that don't want them to find the True History! Why?

HOW TERRIBLE! But understandable motivations. I mean, it's 24th century and there are a LOT of history textbooks. The funniest part is that they have to do it all by hand, even though it's the 24th century.

So in this introductory episode, our heroes go back in time to ancient Egypt, where Cleopatra was actually a comedy duo known as Cleo and Patra! Don't believe me? IT'S THE TITLE OF THE EPISODE!

And if that doesn't sound promising enough, the next episode is about them learning that there was only one Wright Brother!

But you know what the BEST part of this show is?

ACTUAL 2D MECHA.

91 Days 12: End

It's not often in recent anime that an ending is so satisfying it actually elevates the show to a better position, but did it. The team in here took cues from Quentin Tarantino in the time passage, and it was fairly effective as non-linearity when done right can end up being a more interesting story telling tool. The writing of Avilio and Nero was top fucking notch throughout the show outside of a few hiccups here and there, but the implication that Nero genuinely grew to trust Avilio and that Avilio
never intended to kill him
was always there. The last episode and this one were bar none the best mafia anime I've seen ever, and the show exceeds anything else that has come out in that medium of this topic. Period.

The background artists deserve the biggest recognition. The water paint style vibrant and beautiful backgrounds stole the show in the art department. The character designs of Avilio and Nero were fantastic as well too.

The shot where the ED song started playing as they're traveling was really touching and it encapsulated the melancholic nature of their friendship and rivalry. And the final argument plus the few final minutes were touching and heartbreaking.

As to the ending
the ambiguity of Avilio's current status is a nice touch. I like to believe that he's still alive. Looks to me like Nero lost any will he had to kill him after Avilio asked him why he didn't kill him back then. Then as he was taking aim, a direct callout to the first time he had a chance to shoot him, he was once again struggling with the decision. The little smile at the end as he looks at the can of pineapples is also a fairly strong sign he resigned himself to let him live. Not to mention his line for him to find a reason to live, and Avilio admitting he didn't kill him because he didn't want to. All ending with a shot of the footsteps stopping at a point, but then the ocean waves coming in and demonstrating they were washing away them away.

In a tale of revenge there were glimmers of redemption and regret. Which is par for course, but it doesn't make it all the more satisfying.

I give it a 9.5/10 and I'm pretty sure it just overtook Mob Psycho 100 as my AOTY. While the latter was probably a better showing of animation and it still displayed fantastic characters, I'm a sucker for these gloomy grounded tales in my HBO, and it worked just as well in my anime.

Gundam Build Fighters TRY 2 rewatch

Yuuma you are so easy to buy lol. You da best Mirai! A slower episode but a fun one still. Getting Yuuma to join and all.
I really like how they follow the G Gundam logic to perfection with Sekai. Talking with your fists!

Gundam Build Fighters TRY 3 rewatch

Someone compared Sekai and Yuuma relationship to Natsu and Gray and meant it like a bad thing, but I disagree their bickering always makes me smile and this kind of relationship really fit they opposing personality. Fire and Ice/CQC and Long range.

Also speaking of Natsu, I really think Sekai is a very similar character and I'm meaning this in a good way. Natsu is probably Fairy Tail's best character and that's mainly for is attitude. I really like straightforward honest characters with a BURNING passion and it really fits Sekai.

As for the battle itself it was really cool, just like a remembered it. Nice teamwork between Fumina and Yuuma with Sekai recklessness/natural abilities complimenting things in a good and bad way.

Also it was at this episode that me and my friend started calling him clueless Kamiki, I mean that ending lol, he's worst then Raku.

Gundam Build Fighters TRY 4 rewatch

Yo this episode is amazing. I really like Minato Sakai introduction and how in a single combat he teaches both Sekai and Fumina what they were lacking. That SD gundam battles was phenomenal! Also lol secret agent Mirai on duty. *Hoshino-san your so bold* lol

But the highlight was of course the Gouf R35. I was never a fan of the original gouf, since it always looked so meh, but this model is so cool.

Edit: I tried watching it dubbed and for the first time ever I think I won't be able to...It's quite mediocre.
Devil Survivor 2 the animation 1-12

I did not expect this when starting this anime but I really got a Evangelion clone. Kids fighting to save the world from ending in 7 day, Septentrion(Angels) attacking each day and an evil human mastermind that tries to purge the world in some way. It even ends with
a reset to do things right.
It also has is own Kaworu.

Hibiki is a pretty cool MC and the supporting cast is pretty good. The demons were also nicely designed. Baal, Satan, Lucfer, Byakko and that Jack Frost ( it's looked hella then the one in my P3P party lol)

I don't know if the game story is that similar, but I enjoyed the anime enough to give it a try if I ever get the chance.

It's a shame Imgur doesn't work I would have liked to had some pics to my post :/

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Bloodivores Episode 1:

Yes, this is a real show and that is its real title and somebody got paid money for that. That aside this was about a generic as you could get in many places but as it turns out this is seemingly Deadman Wonderland with a new coat of paint and a much more unlikable protagonist. I do not forsee myself lasting on this series.

Kansoku

Fantastic:
Mob Psycho 100
91 Days

Great
Amaama to Inazuma
ReLIFE

Good/Fine
orange

Mediocre
handa-kun

Bad
Amanchu! (What I Expected: Endless Ocean with cute girls, actual diving, to learn about diving. What I Got: wowitsfuckingnothing.gif, ピョピョピョピョ, "reaction face" overuse )

Dropped
ReWrite (ep 2)
TABOO TATTOO (ep 4 IIRC)

-------------------------

While checking what came out this season, I see I completely forgot the Magus Bride OVA. Was it any good?

Anyway, AOTS is going to be Zaregoto.

Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters 1:

Okay, I wasn't going to watch this because it looked like Xros Wars (which I didn't like at all), but I might give it a chance now. It's going to be your fault if this sucks :>

Exalted

Bloodivores episode 1

Well this was stranger and more edgier than i expected. Well for a story about a group of bankrobing vampires this was kinda boring. I didn't find any of the main characters interesting and i found the story and writing bad so i'm gonna pass on this for now, and maybe pick it up later if it gets good word.

91 Days 12: End

It's not often in recent anime that an ending is so satisfying it actually elevates the show to a better position, but did it. The team in here took cues from Quentin Tarantino in the time passage, and it was fairly effective as non-linearity when done right can end up being a more interesting story telling tool. The writing of Avilio and Nero was top fucking notch throughout the show outside of a few hiccups here and there, but the implication that Nero genuinely grew to trust Avilio and that Avilio
never intended to kill him
was always there. The last episode and this one were bar none the best mafia anime I've seen ever, and the show exceeds anything else that has come out in that medium of this topic. Period.

The background artists deserve the biggest recognition. The water paint style vibrant and beautiful backgrounds stole the show in the art department. The character designs of Avilio and Nero were fantastic as well too.

The shot where the ED song started playing as they're traveling was really touching and it encapsulated the melancholic nature of their friendship and rivalry. And the final argument plus the few final minutes were touching and heartbreaking.

As to the ending
the ambiguity of Avilio's current status is a nice touch. I like to believe that he's still alive. Looks to me like Nero lost any will he had to kill him after Avilio asked him why he didn't kill him back then. Then as he was taking aim, a direct callout to the first time he had a chance to shoot him, he was once again struggling with the decision. The little smile at the end as he looks at the can of pineapples is also a fairly strong sign he resigned himself to let him live. Not to mention his line for him to find a reason to live, and Avilio admitting he didn't kill him because he didn't want to. All ending with a shot of the footsteps stopping at a point, but then the ocean waves coming in and demonstrating they were washing away them away.

In a tale of revenge there were glimmers of redemption and regret. Which is par for course, but it doesn't make it all the more satisfying.

I give it a 9.5/10 and I'm pretty sure it just overtook Mob Psycho 100 as my AOTY. While the latter was probably a better showing of animation and it still displayed fantastic characters, I'm a sucker for these gloomy grounded tales in my HBO, and it worked just as well in my anime.
Excellent post. Me and you basically thought the exact same way, and I too TOTALLY agree with the spoiler. There's no other way to think about it, specially if you paid attention to these characters and their mannerisms. I like that you put this episode next to a Tarantino direction, because I too thought the same way. The way the episode
used characters that were dead to symbolize that a scene was from the past, or totally different locations from where the characters were in the present time
were devices that he too uses in his movies, and that helps identify when and where things happened. I loved the finale, and again I urge those posters that actually watch anime in search of more than just entertainment to watch this. It is a fine product that makes great use of history and well established western story writing techniques to make a great mafia story.

Bloodivores Episode 1:

Yes, this is a real show and that is its real title and somebody got paid money for that. That aside this was about a generic as you could get in many places but as it turns out this is seemingly Deadman Wonderland with a new coat of paint and a much more unlikable protagonist. I do not forsee myself lasting on this series.

Is it better then the Outcast? Are those Chinese web comic adaptation at least getting better? I could barely go through the first episode of the Outcast.

Bloodivores Episode 1:

Bloodivores episode 1

Well this was stranger and more edgier than i expected. Well for a story about a group of bankrobing vampires this was kinda boring. I didn't find any of the main characters interesting and i found the story and writing bad so i'm gonna pass on this for now, and maybe pick it up later if it gets good word.

We don't have to complain about the quality of LN adaptations anymore now that Chinese web comic/novel adaptations are coming in force.

Ascheroth

Bloodivores #1

So if I got this right, this is an anime adaption of a chinese webtoon, animated by a japanese studio and directed by a chinese director.

Thought it was pretty entertaining, although not exactly inventive.
Still, I'm intrigued enough to check out the next episode.

Though boy, did that logo during the OP look cheap as fuck. Like wow.

Qurupeke

Izetta: The Last Witch 1
Wow, I'm impressed. This was an awesome first episode. Fine animation and it generally looked pretty. Princess Fine is also a really good protagonist and I'm looking forward to her.

Moreover, it had some very strong scenes right off the bat, like the train chase and the explosion on the plane, though the invasion on the music of the opera was great too. The show also nails the WW2 Not-Europe setting. Curious how this will continue.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...comes-in-like-a-lion-to-fall-anime-simulcasts

Occult and March comes in like a lion will be simulcasted by Crunchy.

Standby for a big bold day of new fall anime announcements at Crunchyroll! Things begin with a double whammy with word that two series from Aniplex of America: Occultic;Nine and March comes in like a lion, are set to begin streaming soon.

That means that aside from Gundam IBO I don't need a daisuki membership...Gundam Info is supposed to host Gundam IBO on youtube right?

Shuumatsu no Izetta 01

So not just one of production commitment, Slava Makarov, the person who created World of Tanks is even one of producer, rip German tanks i guess lol.

But then Hiroyuki Yoshino is main writer of this show...good luck i guess, at least like above said, it have a good start.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Time Bokan 24 Episode 1:

Well then, another year, another Tastunoko remake, this time they are reviving their Time Bokan series which I must admit I am not very familiar with given that it was a series from the late 1970s and early 198os. At any rate, this certainly bucks the trend of remakes as Time Bokan is very much still within range of the original spirit of its fore bearers That being said, I don't see myself picking this up because it is a kids series that is written and has the feel of a kids series. Also, I find the premise of the show deeply offensive to my sensibilities as somebody who cares about "true" history.

Szadek

Shuumatsu no Izetta - Ep. 1
The series is certainly a bit odd, this was nontheless a pretty good start.
The chance scene at the train and the action scene near the end were both great.

Just T

Mob Psycho 100: 12

Well that didn't go quite like I was expecting, still mixed feelings towards Reigen but overall this was a pretty good finale and a great show. I enjoyed the stellar animation and a bulk of the characters and their development. Would like to see another season of it.

Soma Second Plate: 12-13

Nice finish as well. This was a pretty good season, I know I've seen mixed feelings in regards to the pacing but I thought it was fine for the most part. However, my favorite parts were probably these last couple of episodes tbh.

Naruto Shippuden: 476-477

About 130 episodes behind on Shippuden but with fillers in mind it's probably really only about 40 and also counting flashbacks that could go down to 32.

Anyway checked out this episode since I've been finished with the manga so it doesn't matter much. I thought the taijutsu in the beginning of the episode was pretty good, bijuu in the latter half? Eh, not so much. However it was better in the beginning of the next episode. The animation throughout the episodes were pretty good. I'm not sure how it stacks up to their first fight overall though.

Also almost forgot how much of a shit character Sasuke is jeez. Then when Sakura appeared on screen instantly remembered how shit she is too. Naruto really got the short end of the stick with them as teammates.

Exalted

Shuumatsu no Izetta episode 1

This was a strong first episode and a great start to the show. I liked the visuals and the music used. The WW2 setting is nice and all the battle animations were impressive and the vehicles and uniforms were surprisingly very detailed . Can't wait to see where the story goes or to learn more about the witch. Some of the places in the show looked surprisingly similar to my hometown and neighbouring areas.

Shuumatsu no Izetta 01

Very strong first episode. Kept up a great pace without a single boring or slow moment. The Princess being a strong-will, smart and confident character is a huge plus for me. Can't wait to see more.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Reigen Psycho 1000%
That was amazing. Show been good from start to an end. Great animation, plot wise it's good, and good soundtrack too. Definitely on my AOTY list. Reigen is a good guy despite being a conman(?), and Mob is one hell of a brother.

The only thing i don't like is that it almost too good.

Gahara Tier

Mob Psycho 100
JoJo
Thunderbolt Fantasy

Hanekawa Tier

Love Live Sunshine

Kodaka is a fucking hack tier

Dangit Ron Paul Future
Daggum Ronbas Despair
Dammit Renpo Hope

blurr

Gahara Tier

Thunderbolt Fantasy

Hanekawa Tier

Mob Psycho 100
New Game

Araragi Tier

Danganronpa Despair

I can't believe I saw so little this season - what a disgrace.

phaze

The problem with those Monogatari rankings is that I'm not sure if it's people's taste in waifus that is thrash or more generally their views on anime. :(

----

Good:
Thunderbolt Fantasy

Still worth watching:
Mob Psycho 100

Varying degrees of bad, trash and lower:
Rest

Sterok

Shuumatsu no Izetta 1

That was surprisingly good. It definitely has that WW2 feel. Princess Fine makes a strong first impression as the protagonist and isn't just relying on her guards or witch. No boring moments, but nothing too crazy either. I'm sure things will get silly later, but so far it's looking lovely on a character and animation standpoint.

The problem with those Monogatari rankings is that I'm not sure if it's people's taste in waifus that is thrash or more generally their views on anime. :(

seems like we can all come to the consensus that crab and cat are good, and if you disagree with that then you suck

Clov

Aniplex of America is releasing Kizumonogatari Part 1's BD on December 27th, with preorders beginning on Monday. I wonder what the packaging will look like?

gargles

Gahara Tier

Mob Psycho 100

Shinobu Tier

Re:Zero

Hanekawa Tier

Diamond is Unbreakable
91 Days
The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.

Kanbaru Tier

ReLIFE
Planetarian

Hachikuji Tier

Orange

Give Me V3 or Give Me Despair Tier

Danganronpa 3: Future
Danganronpa 3: Despair
Danganronpa 3: Hope

And the rest is on hold (Amaama to Inazuma, New Game) or was dropped (Rewrite). Four of these shows are on my AOTY Top 10 (two of them were already there since Spring, though). Not a bad season.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Izetta Episode 1:

So here we are with the first good series of the season as Izetta takes an inherently cheesy, B-Movie premise, Lesbian witch and princess fight Nazis and The Third Rich and make into genuinely moving production. I got to admit I was bugged with some of the real world analogs not matching up like trying to figure out exactly what Eylstat is supposed to be standing in for since the actual Nazis never invaded that area. I am also curious as to why they want to invade as we never really got that from any of the exposition. Oh sure, it is easy to say because they are Nazis but they had their justifications and rationales for invading other lands.

Defuser

Www.Working!! ep 1

Hmmmm, I don't really feel this new Working!!! when compared to the previous trilogy. They're kinda over reliant on the chibi design for the comedy impact.

And considering Working!! is about everyone being abnormal is some way but Higashida is so far typically a normal guy who got thrown in although his family is a bunch of idiots, maybe he will show his abnomality later.

And sadly the OP is devoid of WAN WAN or PAN PAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom