• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

Izetta #1

Yeah, that was a pretty strong start and looked great. Hopefully the princess stays as capable during the show. The 'fictional' country names made me chuckle though.

WWW. Working!! 1
Enjoyable enough, but the 4koma origins here are so blatantly evident and not smoothed over very well at all in the adaptation. There's little flow to it and it's clear that this is just a strung together series of smaller gags without transitions between scenes.

Really though, Fate/Zero is alright but Thunderbolt Fantasy does what Fate/Zero does well even better. On the other hand Fate/Zero is still stuck being part of a terrible franchise and world, one that takes itself serious to boot, and even with a competent director and writer it suffers thanks to that. Ending makes little sense, too, unless one dives deeper into the Nasu verse which no one should do.

Thunderbolt Fantasy gives you more distilled Urobutchi philosophies and dialogues in mere 13 episodes with a more appropriate setting.

Whats wrong with u calling people...brotakus. wtf get outside mate and let your inner feelings elsewhere out...What cool anime do you watch?

Ayy

Tiger Mask W 01

What kind of horrifying nightmare world is this where you can cripple a man in the ring for the sake of kayfabe?

Vince has gone too far. also Stephanie's breasts got bigger.

Really though, Fate/Zero is alright but Thunderbolt Fantasy does what Fate/Zero does well even better. On the other hand Fate/Zero is still stuck being part of a terrible franchise and world, one that takes itself serious to boot, and even with a competent director and writer it suffers thanks to that. Ending makes little sense, too, unless one dives deeper into the Nasu verse which no one should do.

Thunderbolt Fantasy gives you more distilled Urobutchi philosophies and dialogues in mere 13 episodes with a more appropriate setting.

Wrong. The fact that it has a competent director and writer is the fact why it makes the world interesting. Just because it's attached to the rest of Nasu's stuff doesn't mean it's a cardinal sin against the show.

Thunderbolt Fantasy may be better, but it doesn't make Fate/Zero not worth watching.

Narag

Tiger Mask W 1

It looks very Toei and the filter to thicken the lines is somewhat hit or miss. Still feels throwback enough to be enjoyable though. The idea that the Tiger's Den was this mountaintop monastery for fledgling wrestlers on a mountaintop somewhere in the Pacific Northwest was appropriately amazing.

e_i

Oh, and it comes from the Honey & Clover mangaka as well. I knew the character designs looked familiar.

Exalted

So how was the magic girl death game show?
Well it was kinda underwhelming, at least for me :s I expected drama, horror , carnage and lots of suffering. But if you ignore the first 10 sec tease at the start the episode, there was none of that in this episode. It was a super happy episode, with lots of happy little magical girls doing cute things. Since i don't like those things , it was really boring for me...

Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku 01

XOZsVLb.jpg
GKDehIU.jpg

Trusting a rabbit like creature from a f2p mobage offering to turn you into a magical girl. You are fucking asking for it girl.
Also my dreams have come true this show proves boys can become magical girls!

phaze

Tatami Galaxy 10 (rewatch)

I think my only complaint about this ep is that the way it has grown out of the preceding episode feels unnatural I guess. Like, Tatami's parallel universes, resets and all were never very scientific stuff, far from it but there was this sense of progression where a lot of eps seemed like a logical follow up to the previous one. The initial trio of club choices is subplanted by the experimenting with Master's circle,then in #5 by Watashi already in sort of desperation mode, followed by three episodes were he tries out yet another approach and ending in #9, where he falls to his lowest yet. I just don't see how the talk with the Master or learning Ozu's secret should result in the 4.5 Tatami ideology but maybe I just missed some stuff in the preceding ep.

kevyward

Crunchyroll annoys me a great deal when they annonce shows but there is no page for the show yet and I can't add it to my queue.

Jarmel

Banned
Fate/Zero doesn't suffer in the slightest from taking a serious tone to the concept of a magical war. In fact, part of the reason it's so damn great is precisely because of that.

Cornbread78

Well it was kinda underwhelming, at least for me :s I expected drama, horror , carnage and lots of suffering. But if you ignore the first 10 sec tease at the start the episode, there was none of that in this episode. It was a super happy episode, with lots of happy little magical girls doing cute things. Since i don't like those things , it was really boring for me...

So your saying that it was the set-up episode before the shock and awe kicks in... hhmmm.

I ate too much fair food today... will catch up with it later.

www working 1

Pretty strong episode, but I'll be eagerly awaiting the OP with a critical ear as it has a lot to live up to what with all three seasons of Working having catchy AF songs.

The cast looks like it'll be a winner. I already love the interactions and relationship between the pretty boy and the rich girl. Looks like they'll be the ship to root for in this season. And what do you know, the lead girl and guy are already 20 times better than those of Working. The male may not have an immediately apparent personality quirk, but the lead girl not having the male-punching gag is already a huge plus.

From the ED it seems we have 3 other characters plus a baby to introduce to the show. Working shows tend to end pretty high up in my seasonal anime, so bring it on.

edit: the fuck is this trash talking Fate Zero just because Thunderbolt Fantasy is great. Is this another anime version of 'I can't enjoy other action rpgs because Souls has spoiled me'?

Sterok

Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku 1

That was more set up than anything. I always knew mobile games were evil. It's neat to see all the different classes the magical girls can become. Wish there was some sort of action, but that will probably come quick next episode. Koyuki is going to go through a lot of break the cutie moments.
It was predictable that the boy would be a MG, but I didn't expect that to be confirmed this quickly.

Tiger Mask W 1
Yes the animation is iffy at times, and the line software they used doesn't quite work well in certain scenes. But I found the whole episode just dumb fun, and that's really all I wanted out of this show.

Jarmel

Banned
Yutaka Yamamoto AWA Q&A:

-Most difficult thing about the industry currently?

Anime industry is in decline. Blu-ray and DVD sales are declining. He believes the market is getting bored of anime. Anime needs to be more accessible to a general audience such as children. Was a fan of Shin Godzilla, Your Name, and Koe no Kotachi. Feels that's a sign of the direction of the market.

-How involved is the original author in adaptations?

He always requests the original author to be at production meetings and might ask the manga/LN to script an episode such as in Haruhi and Lucky Star. He admits what he does is an exception. He always wants involvement of the creator.

-Doing idol dances in WuG in CGi was more expensive than 2D.

-Would like to do another scifi series.

-Hasn't seen Shirobako intentionally but what he's heard from his colleagues is that the show is too positive. However it is true that production managers are cute girls nowadays.

-Very first job he had at KyoAni was digital photography for two years. Had to take an exam to direct and he passed. Exam had to do with drawing an original storyboard and is supposedly fairly difficult. However that's an exception as other studios obviously don't have a sort of formal test.

-Still feels KyoAni is a wonderful studio.

-Tanigawa's idea to do chronological shuffling for Haruhi.

-Feels that TV model should be abandoned and focus on theatrical side. Also thinks more of an effort should be put into international marketing such as with China.

Don't trust anything from a shady free to play mobile game. The mascot character even resembles Monokuma from Danganronpa.

The episode itself just serves as an introduction. There isn't any real hook yet and it's not blatantly offensive so maybe I'll continue watching.

I think I like this Monokuma/Kyubey thing better then Monokuma in DR3. It also had more screen time.

Y'know, I'm not even a fan of the mahou shoujo genre but are regular mahou shoujo shows even made anymore? I swear every single fucking one has a dark and gory twist and they don't even want to wait until episode 3 like a certain other show. How long until what was supposed to be a dark and shocking take on the genre (yes I know Princess Tutu and Ikuhara exist) just turns into the norm and was the answer 3 years ago???

This feels like when superheroes turned dark and then never went back and I hate it

Yutaka Yamamoto AWA Q&A:

-Most difficult thing about the industry currently?

Anime industry is in decline. Blu-ray and DVD sales are declining. He believes the market is getting bored of anime. Anime needs to be more accessible to a general audience such as children. Was a fan of Shin Godzilla, Your Name, and Koe no Kotachi. Feels that's a sign of the direction of the market.

I guess he didn't see the recent industry report stating that the industry has grown by 12% this past year? Of course, Yamakan's career has been in decline ever since he was fired from KyoAni, so I can understand why his perspective would be different.

Ascheroth

I think I like this Monokuma/Kyubey thing better then Monokuma in DR3. It also had more screen time.

Y'know, I'm not even a fan of the mahou shoujo genre but are regular mahou shoujo shows even made anymore? I swear every single fucking one has a dark and gory twist and they don't even want to wait until episode 3 like a certain other show. How long until what was supposed to be a dark and shocking take on the genre (yes I know Princess Tutu and Ikuhara exist) just turns into the norm and was the answer 3 years ago???

This feels like when superheroes turned dark and then never went back and I hate it

Precure.
And probably Flip Flappers?

Flip Flappers and Matoi the Sacred Slayer are airing this season. There was also Nurse Witch Komugi this year as well.

There's also the annual Precure series.

Otherwise I agree with you. Madp put it best by saying the genre's at the point where Evangelion fans saw stuff like de:vadasy and just wanted this whole shtick with the "dark twist" to just stop already.

The Last Witch Izetta 1
Wow, this was a really strong opening episode.

Late night anime probably isn't the place to look for them.

Qurupeke

Precure.
And probably Flip Flappers?

Flip Flappers and Matoi the Sacred Slayer are airing this season.

There's also the Precure series.

I have a feeling that Flip Flappers isn't going to be a happy anime. Tbh, there's nothing that explicitly points that way, but something about the designs and the relationship between the main characters makes me think that the show will make a 180 turn at one point.

Quasar

Izetta 1 - Not bad. I do always find fictionalised versions of earth like this a bit weird though.

Raising 1 - watched it despite normally running a mile from all things magical girl. Was ok, familiar voice cast.

Www.working 1 - fun as expected.

I have a feeling that Flip Flappers isn't going to be a happy anime. Tbh, there's nothing that explicitly points that way, but something about the designs and the relationship between the main characters makes me think that the show will make a 180 turn at one point.

It's not that the show has to be 100% happy. There can still be drama and sadness, and even some dark stuff.

What I like about it is that it seems to be more a regular magical girl show proper rather than just being another "unsubtle dark and depressing magical girl show that's totally subversive to the genre" kind of show that started spawning left and right after Madoka became a smash hit.

Sterok

It's not that there isn't any lighthearted magical girls left. It's just that almost all of them are old properties. Annual Precure, classic Sailor Moon, Nanoha and Illya junk based off decade old properties, even the universally acclaimed Nurse Witch Komugi R is based off a series from a decade ago. The actual new ones like Raising Project, Yuki Yunna, Wixoss (does that count?), and more I'm probably forgetting are almost all going the dark, subversive path.

So for that I hope Flip Flappers stays on the optimistic side. Grim stuff is cool and all, but an actual new positive show in the genre would feel like a breath of fresh air at this point.

blakep267

I guess I should've looked at www wagnaria closer on the preview charts. My hype was completely deflated when I realized it wasn't a continuation with the old cast

It's not that there isn't any lighthearted magical girls left. It's just that almost all of them are old properties. Annual Precure, classic Sailor Moon, Nanoha and Illya junk based off decade old properties, even the universally acclaimed Nurse Witch Komugi R is based off a series from a decade ago. The actual new ones like Raising Project, Yuki Yunna, Wixoss (does that count?), and more I'm probably forgetting are almost all going the dark, subversive path.

So for that I hope Flip Flappers stays on the optimistic side. Grim stuff is cool and all, but an actual new positive show in the genre would feel like a breath of fresh air at this point.

I kinda disagree with this. Yuki Yuna had lots of despair yes, but it wasn't all about that. It generally was an optimistic show for the most part.

Izetta - 01
Intro was absolutely stunning. Oh and yeah this show holds a lot of potential, I enjoyed the episode quite a bit. Let's see where it goes from here.

TrueBlue

Izetta 01

Put me in the camp who really enjoyed this episode. Finé looks to be a really engaging protagonist, and I hope she stays at the forefront. Seeing both the warrior and the diplomat was really cool, and a good use of her role as a "princess" of a country.

Interested to see what the witch element entails, though I hope the war drama and intrigue isn't dumped entirely.

Sterok

I kinda disagree with this. Yuki Yuna had lots of despair yes, but it wasn't all about that. It generally was an optimistic show for the most part.

Sure, but I'd still put it closer to Madoka than Precure. And while it wasn't all that grim in the end, it was still very subversive (in the making young girls fight eldritch monsters is messed up sort of way). Not anywhere close to a cheery romp of heroes defeating/befriending the bad guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom