• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Alderamin-END
Season 2 when? I really hope it happens since this show was pretty damn good and that hook caught me at the end in a good way! Does anyone know where they are in the LN novels compared to what was adapted?

Sterok

Too bad MahoGirls is boring rubbish

Hey... the characters are still fun.

I like Maho Girls, but there's nothing impressive about it. It's all safe and by the numbers, which especially sucks when it finally had a new premise by series standards.

Jarmel

Banned
Thunderbolt Fantasy-13

Urobuchi is a living god. The direction in that last shot was sublime.

Anime of the decade.

Amanchu 03

This is such a joy to experience. While Hikari does act as Futaba's foil as the overly peppy girl they're actually quite similar. While Futaba acts the stereotypical shy girl with confidence issues Hikari has her own anxieties but masks them by acting out. The character dynamics of Hikari slowly pulling Futaba out of her shell is so delightful.

Hey... the characters are still fun.

I like Maho Girls, but there's nothing impressive about it. It's all safe and by the numbers, which especially sucks when it finally had a new premise by series standards.

There's not much to them though, like whatever problems they have may as well be here is a problem that isn't really a problem. Mirai is just..... a blob and Riko's issues haven't really been much of an issue after a while, despite briefly bringing up that she feels inferior to their literal flower child. It feels like it's spinning its wheels for longer than it really should.

Kaiju Girls 01

Wow, this is a fraudulent show. It's just regular sized girls named after kaiju and they stop destruction. What a fuckin' ripoff. You had one job.

Heybot 03

I think DTL was onto something, kids shows are good.

Sterok

There's not much to them though, like whatever problems they have may as well be here is a problem that isn't really a problem. Mirai is just..... a blob and Riko's issues haven't really been much of an issue after a while, despite briefly bringing up that she feels inferior to their literal flower child. It feels like it's spinning its wheels for longer than it really should.

Mirai's issue is that she's a generic pink without any actual arc aside from being support for her wife and daughter. She's fun, but she does not deserve the protagonist billing. Riko's problems were present from day 1, and she's still got an ongoing arc, but it feels thin since it's being spread thin over 50 episodes. Assuming it actually gets resolved and not brushed off *coughHimecough*. Kotoha is cool, but her mystery is probably going to end up being disappointing given how everything else has gone so far.

Grexeno

Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy - END

GBNSisg.png

Deadly

Alderamin-END
Season 2 when? I really hope it happens since this show was pretty damn good and that hook caught me at the end in a good way! Does anyone know where they are in the LN novels compared to what was adapted?
Adaptation covered 3 volumes and there are currently 10 released

Thunderbolt Fantasy - 2

I'm impressed at by just how much Sawano's music works so well here. Got legit hyped when that OST started playing when the dude fired the three arrows near the end.

Cornbread78

Izetta ep.1
Ok now, that was a pretty damn good intro episode with goid production, good pacing and good story. Hopefully, this keeps up.

New post, lol:
Adaptation covered 3 volumes and there are currently 10 released

Oh damn, they could already do a couple more seasons if they wanted to then... that tells me this was an advertisment, lol.

Quasar

Oh damn, they could already do a couple more seasons if they wanted to then... that tells me this was an advertisment, lol.

As opposed to any other adaptation of other material?

That's not to say I don't agree. The end seemed clearly not setting up another season. Though I guess if it sells well on disc they may go back.

Hopefully the books get licensed.

The last Hime-sama - 01

v7MzOlB.jpg

You kidding? Pointy chin, 4/10.

Episode needed a better directorial touch. No scene really managed to move me. Felt little to no tension during the train escape, arrest and witches' rescue. Couldn't feel the grief during the death and shower scenes. The opera setting seemed interesting but didn't end up improving the dialogue or scene as a whole much either. It just all doesn't come together well, although I might point towards the sound design in particular not doing this any favors.

Otherwise your middling anime story. Well, at least until Hime-sama had her speech in the plane and my eyeballs were rolling overtime.

I'll enjoy the weird Germany quirks you guys will hopefully post about though.

Cornbread78

Magical Girl Raising Project ep.1
Oh man, that ominous opening was definately some serious foreshadowing! However, for now; boy meets girl, both love magical girls, both turn into magical girls then team up to do magical girl good deeds. Then.... the message from the top comes in... yup, this has potential.

Aside from that, I recognized a couple of those VA's and that ED was awesome!

As opposed to any other adaptation of other material?
That's not to say I don't agree. The end seemed clearly not setting up another season. Though I guess if it sells well on disc they may go back.
Hopefully the books get licensed.

Lol, yeah, it was your typical LN ending for sure, but like you said, we'll have to wait and see how the BD sales go, if that even helps.

So i just checked Izetta's official, seems hime-sama will have new bodyguard after both of them died in first episode.
And looks like she will replace their job.
YQSSGEq.png

...Well, really makes you think isn't it lol.

Izetta: The Last Witch 1

Boy this was meandering and lifeless. From the dull action scene on a train (Quite a feat making an action scene on a train boring by the way.) to the closing moments with the witch, nothing here felt impactful. The speech at the end sounded like a speech we would typically hear at the end of a show, when we actually know the character who is delivering it.

Wow, I'm impressed. This was an awesome first episode. Fine animation and it generally looked pretty. Princess Fine is also a really good protagonist and I'm looking forward to her.

Moreover, it had some very strong scenes right off the bat, like the train chase and the explosion on the plane, though the invasion on the music of the opera was great too. The show also nails the WW2 Not-Europe setting. Curious how this will continue.

Shuumatsu no Izetta 01

Very strong first episode. Kept up a great pace without a single boring or slow moment. The Princess being a strong-will, smart and confident character is a huge plus for me. Can't wait to see more.

The last Hime-sama - 01

Episode needed a better directorial touch. No scene really managed to move me. Felt little to no tension during the train escape, arrest and witches' rescue. Couldn't feel the grief during the death and shower scenes. The opera setting seemed interesting but didn't end up improving the dialogue or scene as a whole much either. It just all doesn't come together well, although I might point towards the sound design in particular not doing this any favors.

Otherwise your middling anime story. Well, at least until Hime-sama had her speech in the plane and my eyeballs were rolling overtime.

I'll enjoy the weird Germany quirks you guys will hopefully post about though.

Boy this was meandering and lifeless. From the dull action scene on a train (Quite a feat making an action scene on a train boring by the way.) to the closing moments with the witch, nothing here felt impactful. The speech at the end sounded like a speech we would typically hear at the end of a show, when we actually know the character who is delivering it.

I know this isn't unusual, but I can't help but be amused by the diametrically opposite reactions to this show.

jman2050

www. Working!! 1

Fabulous

May the Working Cinematic Universe continue to exist throughout eternity.

EDIT: Welp guess avoiding hyperlinks is going to be a thing here.

Rainy

Banned
I should watch some of the new anime that aired...but I just watched the first episode of Mr. Robot, damn that was good.

I don't have any plans to watch Izetta. Though I am looking forward to reading the reactions of those who are if/when the show goes off the rails into insane territory, since it's written by Hiroyuki Yoshino, who has had quite the infamous reputation since Code Geass, from what I understand.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I think I liked more what it was trying to achieve rather than what it did.
The execution was pretty shaky, and the witch character just had no on screen presence. When the episode just ends with "hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" screams it's sort of just a dull thud of a conclusion. I wound up finding the magical aspects to be the least interesting part of the show. I'm not opposed to them being there but they just wound up being a distraction from what should have been a tense scene with unexplained mumbo jumbo and a nonsensical set piece.

I really enjoyed the attention to detail on the train scene though. Surprised anyone would react negatively to it.

Izetta is so blatantly WW2 that it just kinda bothers me. I dunno why but it does. At least it isn't fetishizing Nazi Germany.

It's a pretty normal thing in historical fiction and the like to use fake country names. The whole "omg it's Valkyrie Chronicles" response from people left me pretty bewildered to be honest.

That doesn't bother me as much as bad exposition.

"hey Joey today is your first day of school eh?"

"yes mom"

"just remember to not use your powers of Brooklyn accent that you gained after contact with a radioactive pizza that night 2 years ago"

"mom you and I know very well that dad died on that day when he was eating the poisoned Chicago style and i promised to him I'd only use it for good"

"then it's ok I guess. Oh hey, American chan is here your childhood friend who you have never expressed sexual interest for"

"yes mom, we grew up together and have gone through many adventures"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom