• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar Community |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

Everyone here pretty much knows how I feel about season 4 and kuvira, but even I have to admit this is pretty cool.

tumblr_nq1j2kC5RE1teld17o1_500.jpg

though maybe it makes what we ended up getting sting a bit more

Jacob

:lol The Boiling Rock retelling reminds me of that other depiction of the Revolution through girls fighting each other that got posted in the Fourth of July thread.

By the way, the Avatar rewatch thread is now in the process of wrapping up with a discussion of Sozin's Comet. Even if you weren't part of the week to week discussion, we'd still love to get people's perspective on the finale or the show as a whole. I'm gonna try to post my favorite episodes list soon.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=170962520#post170962520

Trey

Yes. Time to talk some Avatar. Gonna slide in there and prepare to do book fire finale/Avatar State battle with Veelk et al.

Trey

Never done an OT for my life, but I think this deserves its own - Threadworlds, a new graphic novel by Bryan Konietzko, has been previewed by Entertainment Weekly.

Very interesting concept!

EW: Can you talk a little bit about the concept of Threadworlds, because it sounds like something that’s so inventive, and also something that fits with what society is focused on right now, in terms of female presence in comic books and science?

BRYAN KONIETZKO: I had been pondering what my next big project would be for the last several years. I was trying to think of a sci-fi idea, and separately a fantasy idea. When the concept Threadworlds popped into my head, I found a way to weave those genres together. I definitely wasn’t aiming to be topical, but once science became the focal point of the story I knew it was important to me to have a young girl as the main character. This is basically Nova’s long origin story as scientific superhero. I hope she’ll be inspiring to readers of all genders and ages, but especially girls who are interested in studying and pursuing science.

Hype. give it to me now.

More at renegade's link.

Veelk

Banned
That looks stupidly good in terms of aesthetic though I don't usually go for anthropomorphic stories. I wonder if that's the standard art that's going to be present throughout the series, or if it's just the promo material.

Hamlet

Never done an OT for my life, but I think this deserves its own - Threadworlds, a new graphic novel by Bryan Konietzko, has been previewed by Entertainment Weekly.

Very interesting concept!

Edit: Some concept art courtesy of Entertainment Weekly
Sounds interesting yet so far away. Should be interesting to see how Bryan adapts to writing by himself now.
I was hoping for a new animated series but that still looks great. 2017 is too far away though.
Still got the Korra 2.0 project to look forward to at least in the meantime.

I just want the soundtrack.
Don't we all :(
Maybe they'll give us some more info about it at their comic con panel this week.

-Deimos

Sounds interesting yet so far away. Should be interesting to see how Bryan adapts to writing by himself now.

Still got the Korra 2.0 project to look forward to at least in the meantime.

Don't we all :(
Maybe they'll give us some more info about it at their comic con panel this week.

Oh, I totally forgot about that and thought this was it. Now I'm excited again.

Sorry to disappoint, but Bryan (or Michael ?) mentioned that the SDCC will focus strictly on the future of the comics. Thanks to Keval of AvatarTheLegendofKorraOnline blog for his link!

Mike DiMartino took to Tumblr to confirm that he and Bryan Konietzko will be in attendance of this year’s Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra Comic-Con panel.

The panel will be hosted by Nickelodeon and Dark Horse Comics, and promises to tease the future of the Avatar universe. Naturally, this brought about an abundance of speculation, some going as far as to say that the co-creators would announce a new Avatar series.

I imagine Mike didn’t want to see the hype train go off rails, so he posted clarification on Tumblr stating that he and Bryan would discuss the past and future of the Avatar comics. Along with that, the co-creators are going to share images from the Book 4: Balance art book.

While this does diminish the chances of a new series being announced, it doesn’t diminish the chances of Korra comics being announced. Realistically, if Korra comics are announced, this Comic-Con would be considered a success. Korra’s journey as the Avatar would live on, and there’s still clearly an abundance of stories that could be told from that world.

Aside from the comics, I still think Mike and Bryan will tease the possibility of a new Avatar series later down the road. They won’t confirm anything, but I have a hunch that they’ll leave everything as open-ended as possible.

They don’t know how they’ll feel in three years. Maybe they’ll be ready to tell the story of the Avatar’s next reincarnation by then?

Or from Michael himself

Comic Con is here again! And Bryan and I will be there for a panel and two signings.
On Friday, July 10th at 10-11AM we will be in Room 25ABC for a Dark Horse Comics panel, discussing the past and future of the Avatar comics and showing some images from the final “Art of the Legend of Korra” book. http://sched.co/3koD

SIGNINGS:
Friday, July 10th, 12-2 PM at the Dark Horse booth.
Saturday, July 11th, 3-5PM at the Nickelodeon booth.
Both signings will be ticketed, but I don’t have all the details on that, so check in with the booths to make sure you get your ticket!

Hamlet

Some more concept art and info about Threadworlds from Bryan's Tumblr.

Also Michael DiMartino's new project.
I’m thrilled to finally be able to announce what I’ve been working since Korra wrapped. I’m writing and illustrating a 3-book middle-grade series! The first book, Geniuses: The Creature and the Creator, will be published in Fall 2016 by Roaring Brook Press, an imprint of Macmillan Children’s.

Synopsis:
Set in a Renaissance-like fantasy world, Geniuses explores the concept of “art as magic,” where an artist’s creative genius is actually a living creature, a real-life muse that inspires and protects him or her. Because the leader of this world sees the Genius as a great and dangerous power, anyone with a Genius is captured, to ensure he or she doesn’t become a threat to society. Many have their Geniuses destroyed, and subsequently, become ghosts of their former selves, doomed to live a life without direction, inspiration, or original thought.

But a talented few are keeping their creativity and their Geniuses alive at a secret studio, where young artists like 12-year-old Giacomo learn how to harness their Genius’ power. But before Giacomo’s training is complete, he and his fellow students set off on a life-or-death quest to find the mythical Creator’s Compass before it falls into the hands of a rogue artist, who plans to use the Compass to destroy the world.
Sorry to disappoint, but Bryan (or Michael ?) mentioned that the SDCC will focus strictly on the future of the comics. Thanks to Keval of AvatarTheLegendofKorraOnline blog for his link!

Or from Michael himself

Just being overly optimistic haha.

Jacob

One notices when reading the artbooks that Mike did a lot more of the writing stuff and much less of the art, so it cool that he's both writing and illustrating this. I work in a bookstore and I try to keep on top of new young readers' releases cause I love getting to recommend books to kids and families, so I'll probably read this. Fall 2016 though...

Much as I love animation, I think it's cool that both Mike and Bryan are trying new things. Hopefully their "Speakerboxxx/The Love Below" moment works out for both of them. :)

Trey

It's standard fare. Nothing to write home about, but if you're finding more Avatar it'll sate you just a bit.

Jacob

I've been fairly outspoken in my distaste for the first two comic trilogies. "The Rift" wasn't so bad, but still nothing particularly special IMO. Now that both animated series are over Avatar is less of an active passion for me and has sorta joined the pantheon of older favorites in my mind, so I don't plan on reading the future comics.

Jacob

I was just looking through some of my notes from working on the 10th Anniversary thread now that we're wrapping up over there, and I came across this list of old Avatar-related threads I compiled that I thought you guys might enjoy. :)

The History of AvatarGAF

The Beginning
Avatar: The Last Airbender. Anyone? Anyone? (Claus, 2005)

The Migration Period
ATLA: Why doesn't this get more respect? (Ferrio, 2006-07)
Official ATLA Book 3 Thread of Concentrated Win (Amir0x, 2007-10)
LTTP: Avatar: The Last Airbender (ckohler, 2008-2012)
The Last Airbender (movie) News Thread (Snaku, 2008-2010)
The Last Airbender |OT| (WillyFive, 2010-11)

The Age of Korra
NEW Avatar The Last Airbender cartoon incoming! (Snaku, 2010-11)
Legend of Korra announced ... coming 2012 (WillyFive, 2010-11)
Legend of Korra SDCC Trailing Unveiled! (joetachi, 2011-12)
Legend of Korra (Book 1) |OT| Saturday Mornings Just Got Better (Wiseblade, 2012-13)
LoK Book 2 HYPE Thread (Satch, 2012-13)
LoK Book 2 |OT| Korra Ain't Number Wan (Omikaru, 2013-14)
Book 2 finale spoiler thread (Satch, 2013)
LoK Book 3 |OT| SCHEDULEBENDING (Satch, 2014)
LoK Book 4 |OT| A Feast of Crows (Satch, 2014)
LoK Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER (Toa TAK, 2014-15)

Present Day
LoK (game) |OT| Bending the Rules of Nature (Supermanisdead, 2014-15)
ATLA 10th Anniversary Rewatch (Jacob, 2015)
Avatar Community |OT| Live. Die. Repeat. (Trey, 2015-??)

NB This doesn't include the myriad of LTTP/RTTP threads that both series have spawned.

Trey

Nice timeline, gonna put that in the OT. If nothing else, I appreciate all your work for this community, Jacob.

At least we'll have something avatar related to discuss in the short term.

Bwahaha, that very first ATLA thread is incredible. Only four posts and nobody gave a damn.
Meanwhile, the Korra threads hit hundreds of pages. Oh, how we've grown.

ep39-526.png

Bwahaha, that very first ATLA thread is incredible. Only four posts and nobody gave a damn.
Meanwhile, the Korra threads hit hundreds of pages. Oh, how we've grown.

ep39-526.png
Wow the fanbase went from essentially nothing to Satch carrying that L in the form of her current avatar...wow.

Jacob

I'm glad you guys enjoy the timeline. :) I wasn't on GAF when the original show was airing but I became active right around the time Korra was starting so Avatar and GAF have gone hand in hand for me since.

Nice timeline, gonna put that in the OT. If nothing else, I appreciate all your work for this community, Jacob.

At least we'll have something avatar related to discuss in the short term.

That means a lot coming from you; thanks Trey! And yeah, if we get some comic discussion going in here even I'll have to give them a read. :p

Ooh, that's been listed on Amazon for ages (and there's been at least three different listed publication dates), but that's the first time I've seen the finished cover instead of a placeholder. Looks great. I still have no idea what the actual book will be like but I'm pretty curious.

i won in the way that matters most
Yes Korra got her Cracker Jack box same sex bae prize. Don't worry I'm not making fun of same sex relationships since I stan a same sex ship any way I'm just teasing Asami a bit since I honestly just wish the show ended on a more fleshed out note.

Satch

Banned
i dont, i search my name to see if people reply to me in other threads and sometimes u guys mention my name in here so i have to see what mean things ur saying about me

Toa TAK

Banned
i dont, i search my name to see if people reply to me in other threads and sometimes u guys mention my name in here so i have to see what mean things ur saying about me

Couldn't you just do that by looking through "My Posts"?

Satch

Veelk

Banned

Interesting. I'm going to do my best to incorporate your name into all my posts now, satch. I've been wanting a good creative exercise for a while.

Top Bottom