• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar: The Last Airbender - 10th Anniversary Rewatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

orochi91

Oh man, do you have the link? I'd love to see that.

Remaster project Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheLastAirbender/comments/2rfbaz/atla_im_remastering_all_of_atla_heres_toph

720p screens:

ydqiswdjuu6.png

aghqmkyau5g.png

1080p screens

ozepuy6lunc.jpg

vhmyjljju98.jpg

Hamlet

Without wanting to jump into conspiracy theories, it really does seem like someone at Nick decided to just stop trying with Korra. The episode burn offs and bizarre switches from TV-only to online-only and back again made no sense. But then, they did actually release all the episodes, and are even doing DVD releases, so it's not like they pulled the plug completely. I don't get it at all.
Oh man, do you have the link? I'd love to see that.
Yeah i'll give it to them for actually releasing all of the episodes. But towards the end it just felt like Nick was trying to get rid of the series as fast as it could. Was quite sad hearing Mike and Bryan's optimism during interviews get worse and worse during the shows run. Still then again they did sorta did do the same thing with ATLA. That six month break during Book 3 was agonizing ha.
Should be interesting where Mike and Bryan take their next new project to.

Impressive. Shame Nicks isn't doing anything of the sort.
The video quality for the ATLA dvd's are really bad at times.

Jacob

Hopefully my schedule isn't too hectic for this to be too much trouble to fit in.

I'm gonna try to get the intro posts for each new set of episodes up early in the day on each scheduled date (potentially just after midnight US Eastern since I generally stay up past then). It'd be too much of a hassle to try to coordinate everyone watching at the same time for three months though, so hopefully people will be able to squeeze in episodes here and there. There will be points where I have to watch stuff in advance or delay I'm sure.

First time i see this
WOW

Shippers be crazy.

It's ... it's beautiful.

OQuHsuu.gif

Isotope

Has it really been ten years? Jesus, I remember the first episode premiering on what I THINK was U-Pick Live; my eleven year old self was blown away on how great it was. Fast-forward ten years, and it's one of my favorite shows ever made; I just love it.

This now gives me an incentive to finish watching the final season of Korra; heard nothing but great things about it.

Jacob

Scope and continuity in plot are what ATLA excels at, maybe that's why it's so appealing.

These days, shows are too episodic (and comedy focused) in nature.

I love the massive story arc in Avatar, and it's one of the very few shows that had things planned out from the very beginning (in broad strokes of course, and a lot changed along the way). I've come to appreciate the episodic elements more with time though. A lot of modern cable shows are structured more like really long movies where you can't miss a single episode, and Korra was trying to emulate that, but I really liked Avatar's mix. Some of my favorite episodes (Zuko Alone, Tales of Ba Sing Se, The Headband) occur in very slow plot moments and are entirely self-contained, but they're great little stories (IMO of course).

Yeah, despite my reservations about TLOK, I'm definitely going to watch whatever they do next. I'm sure they want some time to recuperate but I hope they're back in the not too distant future. It's kinda crazy to think how long they've been in this world though. They worked on Avatar from 2002-2008, then they had like a year off, and it was Korra from 2009-2014. Apparently Bryan enjoyed his newfround freedom by going on a road trip with his dog and teaching a winter class at the Rhode Island School of Design (his and Mike's alma mater).

PBalfredo

Yeah i'll give it to them for actually releasing all of the episodes. But towards the end it just felt like Nick was trying to get rid of the series as fast as it could. Was quite sad hearing Mike and Bryan's optimism during interviews get worse and worse during the shows run. Still then again they did sorta did do the same thing with ATLA. That six month break during Book 3 was agonizing ha.

I attribute them "airing" Book 4 as more of them trying to get something out of a sunk cost than any lingering good will from Nick. The fact that when Korra made the transition from on air to online only there wasn't a single ad spot say "hey kids, catch Korra online at Nick.com!". For young or casual fans who didn't read online news articles, Korra just stopped mid-season 3. If we end up getting the soundtracks for the rest of Korra's seasons it will be a small miracle, though Jeremy Zuckerman seems strangely optimistic about it.

I too am very curious as to what Mike and Bryan's next project will be. Though whatever it will be, I doubt it will be on Nick.

Tirod

This is the thread I wish I had when I binged the entire series near the end of Book 3 of Korra, and then binged Korra before the start of Book 4.

Definitely going to watch along with GAF since quite a bit of Airbender is a blur to me. I can finally post some thoughts and get some back and forth going.

Will be fun. The wait for the start of Book 2 is going to be excruciating.

Jacob

Y'know I didn't have much hope for the movie going in, but that second trailer really did make me think it might be a fun action movie if I pretended it had nothing to do with the show. Turns out that the cool shots in that trailer were actually all of the cool action scenes in the entire movie. :mad:

On the other hand, if they had ever made a second film, we might have seen something like this:

Mh7ZVgE.gif

Twinkletoes you're breaking my heart

Altazor

Let's face it, no live action movie can replicate the awesomeness that is Toph Beifong. It would have been a pale shadow of her blind magnificence.

PBalfredo

Considering how fucking dire the earthbending was in the movie, I'm glad we're not getting a second one to besmirch the Beifong name.

Hey now folks let's not get too ahead of ourselves.

OP did say to keep spoilers and talk of future episodes to a minimum, otherwise in spoiler tags.

Get hype for real tho

Y'know I didn't have much hope for the movie going in, but that second trailer really did make me think it might be a fun action movie if I pretended it had nothing to do with the show. Turns out that the cool shots in that trailer were actually all of the cool action scenes in the entire movie. :mad:

On the other hand, if they had ever made a second film, we might have seen something like this:

Mh7ZVgE.gif

Twinkletoes you're breaking my heart

Noooo, not the summer jam screen!!!

I actually just watched the last two episodes of Korra earlier this evening on Amazon Prime and decided to look at the original series and noticed I was sitting on the ten year anniversary of the show! Crazy coincidence. So I proceeded to watch the first two episodes in tribute.

I already watched original series during its initial run but after watching Korra I think I'm going to do a rewatch of the entire first series.

That's because it's been in Community, silly.

No one goes there.

No one.

No one at all, just two people in that thread talking about their love for fictional women.

I'm one of them.

Nah, but seriously... yall about to have Veelk in wear the hell out of his keyboard in there, lmao

Banzai

Pretty sure it came out a lot later in germany but still, doesnt feel like it was that long ago.
I'm on my 4th rewatch right now.

What a coincidence, I just started my third watch of the series last night. Unfortunately I've been plowing through it so I can get to Book 2: Earth which is my favorite. Just started that season about an hour ago. I'm envious of those who are going to be watching this for the first time, it's the greatest animated show I've seen (Even better than Batman), and it's also ranks with some of the best television thus far produced. Happy watching people!

Man it's been so long but the animation and story hold up so well. I think one of the most powerful elements of Avatar is how relatable the characters are. Sometimes while I was watching it I'd forget that these were kids.

The show was so mature and handled itself brilliantly. You feel in love with the characters and became invested in their stories. It's a shame that LoK was the end of the Franchise but man, I thank Nickeloden for greenlighting the series and in the same breathe I condemn them for killing it.

Jintor

I just rewatched that S3 teaser. Fuck it, I'm in. I forgot how fucking hype this show was.

I need to get through Korra s3 and s4 so I guess I'll put them back-to-back and see how that do...

Long ago, the four nations lived together in harmony. Then everything changed, when the fire nation attacked...

153955_o.gif

Stulaw

I watched it for the first time a few weeks ago, I'll happily re-watch it, I really liked it but for some reason Korra doesn't tick the same boxes with me.

jordisok

Guess this can count as my yearly rewatch :) will be interesting watching it in a "structured" way for the first time in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom