• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar: The Last Airbender - 10th Anniversary Rewatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fevaweva

I want to buy them on DVD, but I have read that the DVD quality is terrible.

What a real shame that Nick doesn't treat the show with the respect it deserves.

Jacob

Awesome. So we watch it on Wednesday, correct?

Like Trey said, you can watch 'em ahead of time, but the un-spoilered discussion of the first two episodes begins on Wednesday. If people want to try to coordinate a specific time to watch them all together that would be cool, but I think that'd be difficult to try to make work. I'm closing at work on Wednesday so I've gotta try and get my post up early in the day.

Count me in. A heads up to any Britons: the entire series is available on UK Netflix.

Awesome, I'll add a note about that in the OP.

Guess this can count as my yearly rewatch :) will be interesting watching it in a "structured" way for the first time in a long time.

It's going to take a lot of self-control for me not to just plow through the entire series in a matter of days. :lol I'm looking forward to getting to write about and discuss the series regularly for the next three months.

Aww, just started book 2 on the DVD's. I envy the people watching first time though.

Excellent thread OP.

Thanks a bunch, man! I hope you'll join in the discussion even though you're already a good way through. :)

Third-Drifter

Neo Member
Arguably the greatest western animated series ever produced. The story arc was incredible, the world was realized, and the characters displayed depth. I first watched in 2009 after picking up the DVD season sets in one fell swoop.

IMO ATLA did for the 2000s what Exosquad was in the 1990s and what Mysterious Cities of Gold was in the 1980s. Western produced animation series with one continuous story told throughout are very rare. Robotech doesn't count, because of being culled from previously existing sources. Also it didn't pander down to its intended audience and only rely on comedy or gags.

Who can say when a new original series will follow in the same vein?

It;s a shame about the lack of availability of an HD ATLA, but the reddit project looks promising. Hopefully it can be completed.

openrob

Yeah, I'm in!

Due to the recent LTTP thread I recently watched half of book 3 though. Seen the series so many times now though.

Jacob

Who can say when a new original series will follow in the same vein?

I certainly hope for one, but the action cartoon scene in the US is pretty disheartening right now. There are plenty of great comedy shows going on, many of which are genuinely emotional and moving at times, but action toons aren't doing so hot. Toonami got its schedule cut back recently too. Hopefully the pendulum will swing back our way in the not too distant future.

Yeah, I'm in!

Due to the recent LTTP thread I recently watched half of book 3 though. Seen the series so many times now though.

I've watched certain episodes (especially in Books 2 and 3) more times than I can remember, but I think it'll be fun to see some of the ones I often skip and/or don't remember as fondly and put them in the context of the full series. I've been a defender of Book 1 in OTs before but I'm curious to get everyone's take on that one in particular.

Mr. Sam

Generator Rex was a rather good action cartoon. Not quite on Avatar's level but better than Ben 10, its stablemate. It had continuity, vibrant characters, good humour, an interesting premise and some epic action scenes.

Jacob

I've watched a bit of Ben 10 over the years, but haven't seen Generator Rex. According to Wikipedia though it looks like it actually aired to conclusion? Young Justice fans must be jealous. :p It sounds fun though; I'll have to give it a try some time.

Messiek

I'm definitely watching this again .
I love Avatar since launch and what a better time than now to rewatch it for the third time . lol

Jacob

101/102: "The Boy in the Iceberg"/"The Avatar Returns"

Original airdate: February 21, 2005 (back-to-back)
Written by: Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko
Directed by: Dave Filoni

46gNh6V.jpg
IGVjkOR.jpg

V5limbp.jpg
LFxVjlk.jpg

Where do you begin with the 45 minutes that started it all? Well, for one, despite being the "pilot" for the series (not to be confused with the 12 minute pilot they made when trying to convince Nick to pick up the series), these episodes leave a lot unexplained. Without delving into future spoilers territory, the premiere ends with only a very vague sense of what the show will be like from here on out. There's a good deal of backstory, but enough is left vague that the characters own lack of knowledge doesn't feel too grating.

One very minor spoilery thing I want to touch on regards the scope of the Southern Water Tribe. I've talked with a number of people who have expressed confusion about how the entire southern half of the Water Tribe civilization could be reduced to maybe two dozen people living in what looks like an elaborate snowfort. However, it's implied in numerous places (and possibly outright stated in an interview somewhere, I can't recall) that the Southern Water Tribe has been reduced to a network of mini-tribes scattered around the South Pole region. This is a little at odds with Katara's opening narration, but it explains the fleet of ships we see in the same opening and how the men of the Tribe would have enough strength to feel they could make a contribution to the war effort.

I'll try to post some fuller thoughts when it's not so late, but I do like these episodes. They are inherently limited by the need to start setting up the world, but I think they do a good job of it. I'm glad that, even with a double-length episode to start with, the show didn't rush through anything. Aside from the introductory narration, there are no jarring exposition fests, and we are introduced to the characters, their personalities, and their motivations just as much as we are the wider world. While they don't reach the heights that would come later in the series, it's the foundation established here that made those lofty episodes possible.

I look forward to hearing what everyone else thinks after revisiting these episodes. We are officially underway. :)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
My favourite animated series of all time. I rewatch it about once per year on Netflix, although we have the DVD collection as well. I'm thankfully our friends introduced us to the series just about the time it was ending, because it's an amazing experience.

The first two 'pilot' episodes are fine, but when I'm trying to get new people into the series it doesn't really seem to grab them. Some people have mentioned it feels like any other Saturday morning sort of cartoon after only seeing the pilot, but the series does thankfully pick up very quickly after. Indeed, I find the beginning one of the biggest challenges in trying to get other people into the show.

epmode

TLA is entertaining from the beginning but I didn't suspect it was anything really special until The Storm. That's several episodes in, though, and it can be a big ask when trying to get someone interested in the show.

Mr Git

Great OP. I'm rewatching it quite regularly and am always trying to get others to watch it. I'm of the opinion that it's a phenomenal TV show in general, rather than merely one of the best animations ever made. Fantastic characters, animation, and pacing. It's also very funny. I remember being really surprised when I started watching it how much I laughed, more so when I really got to 'know' the characters. Wish it was on Bluray.

my girlfriend and I started a rewatch a couple weeks back, we're currently pretty early on in Book 2.

I would agree judging by her reactions (she had only seen a few episodes in the past) that The Storm is the first really great episode of the series and that's where things really fall into place.

Trey

The first episode is worth it just for the extended opening sequence.

Starting off with great animation. An Avatar hallmark.

Katara and Sokka's base characterization and a fair bit of backstory are established within five minutes. Now that's efficiency.

Zuko being in the South Pole when Aang is released is the ultimate coincidence, but I'll allow it. Destiny and all that.

Appa's design is so dope.

The concept of bending, and there being multiple disciplines corresponding to element, introduced within 15 minutes. Aang's general disposition and Zuko's quest too. Maximum world building efficiency.

Sokka displaying most fans' feelings for the shipping in Korra.

Katara is very ambitious. Makes it easy to root for her.

Sokka's early prejudice against bending is an interesting thing. He grew up in a place that virtually had none. But being that his attitude is how the audience is introduced to the art, you would think that bending was rare and even mythical, instead of how ubiquitous and fundamental to the nations it actually is.

Aang being out of the loop for a century is a godsend for necessary exposition. That's what I like about Avatar: the world building is very organic. We learn about the world and how it has changed pretty much as Aang learns. It never feels out of place or indulgent. Makes immersion that much more attainable.

Kataang was day one certified. The zutara people were always fooling themselves.

All in all, a nice, functional episode. Gets you right into the swing of things, builds up the world, and gives the viewer legitimate stakes from multiple perspectives. Katara has a goal, Aang has a goal, Zuko has a goal.

Toothless

The Boy in the Iceberg

Rewatching the first episode of any series is always incredibly interesting, just see how immature the characters have become. Avatar is no exception to this rule, as we have sexist Sokka, clueless Katara, melodramatic Zuko, and fun Aang. Although the final of those four never truly changes that trait, it’s still fascinating to see where they all came from. The best exchange of the episode is between Katara and Aang with “I haven’t done this since I was a kid” and “You still are a kid!” Seemingly innocent, it shows the effect of war on even people like Katara. The episode still has fun moments (Sokka screaming at little children is a highlight, but all in all, the opening is weak, but that’s to be expected with a show that relies on past characterization to truly shine.

The Avatar Returns

Already, the show has marked improvement. Sokka is a lot more likable in this episode, and Katara seems to have some character drive. That said, her insisting to leave with Aang at the beginning has always felt a tad awkward. One thing I notice this time that I’ve never noticed before is the callback with Sokka poking Zuko with the staff at the end. This is also the first appearance of the trusty boomerang, and the first instance of the Avatar state truly being shown. All in all, this is a pretty fabulous episode, featuring some really nice shots and a great first use of a lot of the themes that make Avatar’s score one of the best ever for western animation.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Ooooh, I'm a few days late to this party, but I do believe I will be jumping in very soon. My brother and I marathoned this series via Netflix a few years ago and LEEERVED it so much. Been itching to rewatch it. Sounds like I'll have to switch over to Amazon this time around, though...

When I first watched these episodes I wasn't hooked, not going to lie. I was hooked later on in the season, as the Zuko Aang dynamic and also the Zuko Zhao dynamic became more fleshed out

Trey

When I first watched these episodes I wasn't hooked, not going to lie. I was hooked later on in the season, as the Zuko Aang dynamic and also the Zuko Zhao dynamic became more fleshed out

I don't think it's a stretch to say that Korra started off better. Those first four episodes were pretty much perfect.

And then the love triangle attacked.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that Korra started off better. Those first four episodes were pretty much perfect.

And then the love triangle attacked.

Yeah, I can agree with that. Korra didn't really need to introduce us to the laws of bending and the world at large though, so it may not be a fair comparison.

PhiLonius

Ep1: The Boy in the Iceberg and Ep2: The Avatar Returns

Rewatching this show for the first time, it's very interesting to see how quickly they set up the main players and just who they are as characters. Sokka is shown as being very bold and brave (taking on the invading Fire Nation members alone) but a bit headstrong in his ways. You get the sense Katara wants a bit more out of life and meeting an airbender in Aang is like a breath of fresh air for her. Aang has got a hear of gold but is still a kid in a world that's grown a lot bigger during his absence. And Zuko mentions what drives him is his honor. Everything is very quick and to the point.

Also I kind of hate to make a Korra comparison so fast, but it's always interesting to see how a person's personality comes out in their bending/fighting style. I've always loved the difference between Aang's more passive approach compared to Korra's more agressive/head-on style.

DedValve

Banned
Yeah, I can agree with that. Korra didn't really need to introduce us to the laws of bending and the world at large though, so it may not be a fair comparison.

Definitely, Korra had a lot more leeway to liberally explain "these be people with elemental magic, korra is basically god, now lets get started". Not to mention all the nods, new improvements, wow factor, designs, etc. etc.

Korra had an incredible and flawless start.

FUCKING MAKO.

Still, Airbender had such a good start for being the origin of it all. I can still hear Kataras voice "Water, Earth, Fire, Air. Long ago.." gives me goosebumps.

jasonng

Going to watch the pilot later tonight. What are the rules with comparing to Korra? Obviously spoiler tags but I get the feeling that since comparisons are unavoidable, I worry it might derail the thread into another "Omg why is Korra so bad?" (if I don't watch myself, I might end up doing that).

Trey

Going to watch the pilot later tonight. What are the rules with comparing to Korra? Obviously spoiler tags but I get the feeling that since comparisons are unavoidable, I worry it might derail the thread into another "Omg why is Korra so bad?" (if I don't watch myself, I might end up doing that).

Keep it vague and generalized. Any actual plot points must be spoilered unless the episodes they're relevant to have "aired" (check the schedule in the OP).

When in doubt, post it in the community thread. Any sort of discussion can be unmarked there.

Jacob

Trey's got the spoiler part covered. I hope that this thread doesn't become yet another series of Korra arguments, but I think making meaningful comparisons between the two and their structures and approaches is legitimate. Hopefully we can avoid any "Korra sucks ass, this shits all over it" type posts though. I think we can strike that balance.

Dyno

The show has been watched at my house every year for the last ten years. At first my wife and I enjoyed it. Then the kids came along and they loved it when they turned around six. Now they ask to put it on all the time.

I decided to get the whole series of DVD and rewatched the whole thing just a few weeks ago.
I have to say the show is still incredible.

Trey

damn, the "previously on" was like 90 seconds long.

The kids already love them some Aang. Katara as impulsive as always.

Appa ain't with the fuck shit.

The Water tribe warrior design is really cool. Some more Sokka motivation is divulged. His character really starts its arc in this episode.

"You're just a child." "You're just a teenager." Cute sequence, considering all that is accomplished in this series by kids and teenagers.

Aang show his distaste for the destruction of flames early.

Zuko might have his angst to drive his powerful firebending, but he sure makes rookie mistakes.

Even though he's pacifist by nature, Aang still manages to have interesting conflict choreography.

The soft reveal of the avatar state. The water tornado was always a cool visual.

lol, Katara's novice waterbending is so cute.

The music is already so good.

I think this episode went a bit too far in making Zuko a chump. I understand it's a kids show and doesn't need to be so serious all of the time, but the gang all played him. It's sort of an underwhelming conclusion to their first confrontation.

Hamlet

Episode 1: The Boy in the Iceberg / Episode 2: The Avatar Returns

Ah still get chills hearing the main theme hit its peak. Love it.
Decent pilot and second episode. Does a good a good job of establishing the world and the characters shown off in the pilot. Forgotten just how angsty Zuko was in these earlier episodes. Good thing they had Iroh nearby to offset all of that early angst.
The fight between Aang and Zuko was pretty impressive and did a good job in showing off both of their distinctive fighting styles. Also showed off how Aang isn't just some little kid that will be easily captured.
"Yip Yip"
"He's Flying! He's Flying! Katara he's.... I mean, big deal. He's flying"

Was quite the cute moment there seeing how happy Sokka was at Appa flying.

Mr. Sam

I remember thinking that I might have made a mistake having bought the first two series when I saw the first two episodes. Almost too Nickelodeon, if you get what I'm saying.

Loke13

I remember thinking that I might have made a mistake having bought the first two series when I saw the first two episodes. Almost too Nickelodeon, if you get what I'm saying.
Yeah the first two episodes are rough in fact I found the episodes leading up to the solstice to be very sub-par. But after that? Man it really jumped in quality and kept up all the way to the finale which again jumped in quality.

Jacob

I think the Korra comparison is an interesting one here. TLOK starts off introducing a TON of ideas right off the bat as well as well as being pretty action-packed, but it slows down considerably after that in terms of both plot and what it introduces. The comparison is imperfect, because ATLA is so episodic for most of Book 1, but it continues to introduce lots of new worldbuilding ideas after the premiere almost continuously.

I agree that the show didn't hit its stride until about The Storm/The Blue Spirit, but I wouldn't sell the first two episodes short. It's rather plot-heavy, and while the balance between jokiness and drama leans more heavily towards jokes than later in the show, it clearly has higher ambitions. Although it is possible that this is my knowledge of the rest of the series seeping in. When I first watched the show it wasn't in order, so I've never actually seen the premiere without any expectations.

Trey

The Blue Spirit is an amazing episode. That's when I knew this show was real.

But as you can see, I really like the first two episodes (though I think the first one is the better out of the two).

Jacob

Nick initially only picked the show up for 13 episodes, so there was a very real possibility that The Blue Spirit would be the last ever episode when they were making it. As great as The Storm is (and it's phenomenal), The Blue Spirit has always been one of my favorites of Book 1. It's good enough that it could have been a season finale, although it's definitely surpassed in scope and action by the actual Book 1 finale. But The Blue Spirit holds up against any of the highlights from the later two seasons, and it's episodes like this one why I can't write off Book 1 the way some people do.

That said, I do enjoy the lighter and more episodic parts of the season too. Some of them, anyway. There is certainly unevenness to be found. I think the first four episodes of the season are pretty solid overall though.

GloveSlap

Epic show. One of the best examples of a show ending at the right time. Too often shows just go on and on and fade into mediocrity.

openrob

Yeah, When I rewatch ATLA I usually skip straight past the first 2 episodes. Iam not really sure why as they aren't bad as such. I think because I am so familiar with the show, I don't need an introduction. But also because - like others have mentioned - the show takes a while to find it's feet. Episodes 1-2 are kind of rough, not in terms of animation, but more in terms of character development.

I mean I know they need to establish the characters, and the writers quickly adapt to the characters and the writing gets much better, but the characters iin this episode almost feel like charicatures of their later selves

"My Honourrr"
"Let's go Penguin sleddddinggggg"
"...Leave it to the girl to screw things up!"

etc. They aren't that bad, but they are just a little..well, off. Strange, because these episodes are pretty fun with some cool fights. The early fights really had a nice feel to them. Either way, when I first ever watched ATLA, I was hooked!

I still recommend people jump in at ep. 3 and then if they like the show, to go back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom