• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2015: Speedrunning For Charity - January 4th - 10th

Zafir

Didn't really watch it before yesterday but was impressed at what I saw when I did tune in. Don't even care much for OOT, but the it being done blindfolded was something special.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Bonus stream is in 3 hours and 8 minutes. At least this is what the chat says.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Twitch doesn't have the old runs, does it? Where can I see the old stuff? Preferably Chromecast streamable.

gngf123

Just caught up with the Portal race between Noircat and Blizik. Thought it was pretty good, and they went over quite a few things including a couple of new tricks that I haven't seen before.

I think that's another run worth watching.

Wallach

Star Wars: Dark Forces 2 is definitely a great run to watch. It's not too long, it's got good commentary from the runner and Striker and the game itself is really fun to watch even if you haven't played it.
http://youtu.be/YHJA1Z-nApM?t=7m10s

Shit, I missed this run somehow. This is one of my all-time favorites; he is making some of these tricks look soooo much easier than they really are. The physics and momentum in DF2 are hard to get a handle on when you're going max speed. Awesome run.

BigAT

Did they add the gameplay video to the Skype sessions this year or something? It was real nice for the developers that called in to actually be able to commentate with the gameplay instead beingt 45 seconds behind the entire due to Twitch delay.

Revven

I couldn't stay up for all of OoT 100%, I didn't want to wreck my sleep schedule even harder so I went to bed around 2 AM. Glad to hear they hit 1 million and even managed to get $1.5 million!? Awesome stuff.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
What games did Blechy play/commentate?

I saw Sparkster SNES run and that game looked boring as shit but Blechy's commentary on that made it really fun to watch. Maybe he's even better with other games.

World of Illusion and Within a Deep Forest

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I just caught up on the Dark Souls 2 runs. It's pretty interesting how not-broken the any% run with the latest version is, but how there are still tons of mechanics to explain.

Its pretty boring compared to Dark Souls 1 because of the lack of sequence breaking. I hope Elajjaz can make it to one to do all bosses DS 2.

Also interesting how From actually managed to nerf magic enough to make melee weapons the optimal strat. I'm pretty sure top times in 1 and Demon are still magic based.

So this is interesting light of things:

http://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/2r98kv/agdq_are_only_22_of_agdq_donations_actually/

Hopefully they do change charities next year. Not going into details, but this marathon exploited my money earlier this week, and Paypal is working on refunding hundreds of dollars back to me.

Its not to late to get your money refunded, or to open a dispute with paypal, or your credit card if something similar happened to you.

I love the event, but theres more to the donations than we realize.

Oidisco

Shit, I missed this run somehow. This is one of my all-time favorites; he is making some of these tricks look soooo much easier than they really are. The physics and momentum in DF2 are hard to get a handle on when you're going max speed. Awesome run.

I ended up just watching it again even when I didn't mean to. It's one of those short but highly entertaining runs.

So this is interesting light of things:

http://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/2r98kv/agdq_are_only_22_of_agdq_donations_actually/

Hopefully they do change charities next year. Not going into details, but this marathon exploited my money earlier this week, and Paypal is working on refunding hundreds of dollars back to me.

Its not to late to get your money refunded, or to open a dispute with paypal, or your credit card if something similar happened to you.

I love the event, but theres more to the donations than we realize.

wordsandwich said:
Your headline is misleading and conveys misunderstanding about public health interventions. Research is not the only thing that prevents cancer. Promoting health literacy and raising public awareness about things like cancer screening and preventable causes would make a huge impact on the incidence of various cancers. Important interventions include smoking cessation, wearing sunscreen, alcohol cessation, getting a colonoscopy, getting a mammogram or genetic screen if you are a female with a family history of breast or ovarian cancer, getting the HPV vaccine, reducing industrial exposure, occupational health and safety, radiation safety, and many other basic public health practices. If more people know about and did these things, it would dramatically impact cancer incidence as well as help physicians catch various cancers earlier when they are more treatable. In that respect, if we reexamine the budget you posted above:
  • 35% goes toward educational material like the "Check Your Mate" posters
  • 22% goes to funding researchers ($250,000 went to Maarten Bosland, D.VSC., PH.D.)
  • 19% goes toward "Community Outreach"
That's 76% of PCF's budget that is going toward things that Edit: could be are legitimately considered cancer prevention programs. Whether you think 76% is a reasonable percentage or not is up to you, but to say that only 22% of AGDQ donations are actually helping to fight cancer is completely false.

Edit 2: I'm a senior medical student about to graduate with my doctorate. A common issue that doctors run into in medical practice is health literacy. It is difficult in the limited time that doctors have with their patients during routine office visits to properly educate people about health maintenance, prevention, and screening especially if patients don't have some understanding already. The evidence for a lot of the routine health prevention practices (vaccines, colonoscopies, etc.) is well established and codified in national guidelines which determine standard of care, but it can be an uphill battle sometimes teaching people about why it's important to do things like quitting smoking or getting a colonoscopy. As a result, education and outreach programs are perfectly legitimate and needed measure to promote public health. Without them, the conversation between doctors and patients starts so much further behind in the game than it should.

http://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/2r98kv/agdq_are_only_22_of_agdq_donations_actually/cndua2y

daydream

Banned
Looking forward to the bonus stream! Wasn't really too much that interested me after the Awful block but everything I watched up to that point was awesome.

Probably my favourite AGDQ.

JoeFu

Banned
well some guy posted on reddit that all they do is make posters with the money, i guess pcf is the scum of the earth!

MrDaravon

Holy shit there's a Lufia 2/Ancient Cave speedrunning community? I need to track this down ASAP, loved that game and the AC as a kid.

Their talk during the FF7 run also has me wanting to check out Mystic Quest speedruns.

Brashnir

AGDQ has been in Herndon, VA and SGDQ has been in Denver for the past couple years, with the exact location changing a bit. It's possible they might make a bigger move to a different location in the future, but it's been constant for a little while now.

One in the Eastern US, and one in the Western US, both near major airline hubs to make travel as easy as possible. Those are among the best possible locations.

*facts about PCF*
Interesting, I think 76% of the donation being for the cause is totally fair IMO.
You have to research it since some of them are only 50%.

Also as the other poster said, there is much more than just research to prevent cancer. So to say only 22% is ignorant.

JoeFu

Banned
if it was like that kony 2012 garbage where 10 percent actually went towards helping people out, then okay get angry. Getting mad because people are being paid to do work is just dumb

well some guy posted on reddit that all they do is make posters with the money, i guess pcf is the scum of the earth!
Ya we were discussing this above. While I'll agree creating awareness is important, the fact that a company spends a third of the millions they make on posters is insane. Also considering both the marathon and pcf label themselves not for profit, yet the workers make so much pocket money, its such a scam in my opinion. As pointed out before, its not to late to reject your payments with your credit card company

Brashnir

if it was like that kony 2012 garbage where 10 percent actually went towards helping people out, then okay get angry. Getting mad because people are being paid to do work is just dumb

Many people have little understanding and/or desire to understand the logistics of what it takes to make something happen. Those people say dumb things all the time.

Borman

Ya we were discussing this above. While I'll agree creating awareness is important, the fact that a company spends a third of the millions they make on posters is insane. Also considering both the marathon and pcf label themselves not for profit, yet the workers make so much pocket money, its such a scam in my opinion. As pointed out before, its not to late to reject your payments with your credit card company

If you dont pay your workers, you dont have people to work. Non-profits pay their employees all the time.

The first reply should also be read. Not everything goes directly to research, that would be silly. Its not a perfect charity, but its also not the devil. Charity numbers threads bring out the worst in people.
Right. Their aim is to get people to prevent cancer through promoting check ups, which is honestly something that could have a more immediate, tangible difference in helping saving people's lives. There's also an incredible stigma against people getting paid decent salaries while working for charities, but people don't understand that that only helps their efficacy rather than having a huge turnover with a large number of uninvested volunteers.

Macheezmo

People seem to be confused about what the goals of PCF are. You even hear it in a lot of donation comments that people seem to think they're looking for a cure for cancer, but that's not what they're actually about. It's about prevention and early detection to increase survival rates.

JoeFu

Banned

not sure you know i was being sarcastic and actually making fun of you.

Every person in every charity needs money so they can have a life to continue what they are doing. PCF CEO making 200k is whatever, some make more, some make less. If you're angry because you didn't know the PCF was about raising awareness which they state every time when they talk about what the PCF does I don't know what to say. They do fund research, and they do help people prevent cancer because they find out at an earlier stage when it is treatable. Not sure what the fuss is.

Read up on what Not for Profit is. The National Football League is considered a non profit organization...

not sure you know i was being sarcastic and actually making fun of you.

Every person in every charity needs money so they can have a life to continue what they are doing. PCF CEO making 200k is whatever, some make more, some make less. If you're angry because you didn't know the PCF was about raising awareness which they state every time when they talk about what the PCF does I don't know what to say. They do fund research, and they do help people prevent cancer because they find out at an earlier stage when it is treatable. Not sure what the fuss is.

Read up on what Not for Profit is. The National Football League is considered a non profit organization...
I know they say that everytime, and as I said awareness and prevention is important. The article itself addresses what they don't tell us. And based on my recent experience, the GDQ staff plays dirty (not saying all do)

I have seen this pop up all over the place, and yet nobody has ever given me an explanation as to what they actually "play dirty" in.

People think that they got tricked into donating to a bunk charity because less than 100% of the proceeds are going to research to find the mythological cure for cancer and they can't be bothered to do a little research into how charities are run and the charity itself, or, at the very least pay attention during the couple of minutes every hour they usually spend explaining the charity on the stream, and they're blaming the people running GDQ/PCF for it.

What're the chances of seeing an SMT game being speedrun during an event like this?

Most SMT game speedruns are very very long, and especially bigger marathons like the GDQs don't like running extremely long runs, and usually only pick RPGs that are shorter.

However, there's more specialized marathons such as Crystals 4 Life (I think it's running under a different name this year though) that specifically run RPGs, so it's more likely to see longer games ran in those.

That said, I don't think SMT is very popular even among RPG speedrunners, specifically because the runs are absurdly long. I know that romscout has dabbled in some SMT runs before, and all of them are like 8+ hours.

JoeFu

Banned
Small.. FF7 was 3 hours even with the big skip.
So only if there's any similar skip in an SMT game somewhere.

We had a normal FF7 speed run before and was around 8 hours or so. I know Romscout runs SMT, but I don't think he'd ever add it in.

I have seen this pop up all over the place, and yet nobody has ever given me an explanation as to what they actually "play dirty" in.

I think part of this feeling, which I actually share to a degree although I think "play dirty" is going too far, is that at this point AGDQ isn't really "speedrunners get together and raise money for charity they pick" but is rather much closer to "PCF holds a charity event and invites speedrunners to participate". I'll admit I did not donate at all this year because of increasing discomfort over the last year plus.

To start with, in regards to the "play dirty" sentiment, the fact that Mr. Uyama is directly contracted by PCF is somewhat concerning. Basically, PCF isn't the charity AGDQ donates to because it's determined to be the best, it's the charity AGDQ donates to because it is in Mike's best financial interest at this time (I am mostly working under the assumption that other "speedrun community" people under contract are mostly a case of compensation from whichever charity is being used for the amount of time and effort they put in). Note that this situation with Mike isn't by itself wrong, but it certainly is a sort of conflict of interest. I'm certainly not saying he or anyone else should have to do this for free, though. And I'm also not accusing anyone of being dishonest in any of this, since the situation was transparently out there if people took the time to look.

Second and more generally, while I don't see PCF as a bad charity I also don't feel it is the best one and it is entirely accurate and fair to say that they're less efficient with their funds, i.e. having greater overhead not going towards actual goals, than some other charities. Again, they certainly aren't awful about it, but the percentage on available reporting is still lower than I'd like.

Okay, I can understand not agreeing with the charity that is picked (for whatever reason), or with the whole aspect of PCF being heavily involved in the organization of AGDQ (to the point of the main organizer of the event being contracted by them).
But neither the PCF nor Uyama have ever lied about it, or withholding any information in regards to that, so I don't see it as that much of a problem. So, as you say, saying that they are 'playing dirty' goes way too far.

I mean, it's not like PCF 'bought' Uyama and enlisted him to do AGDQ for them. From what I understand, PCF contracted Uyama after several successful events. And I don't see that really as a problem, either. He's the representative and main organizer of an event that, every year, brings them hundreds of thousands of dollars. I would contract somebody like that as well if I was in the PCF's shoes.

JoeFu

Banned
And there's nothing wrong with that. If you don't agree with what the charity is doing then you don't have to donate. But people calling it a scam are taking it to another level just because they're ignorant with how things work.

There' still SGDQ and they're doing MSF still so there's that.

Top Bottom