• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesomenauts |OT| - 2D MOBA - [PC/XBLA/PSN] Now on PS4!

MrDaravon

This game is fucking impossible against a halfway decent team unless you have 3 human players on your team that are not fucking retarded. I'm playing by myself right now and have literally not won in a game in four fucking hours because it keeps putting one bot on our team (that is never filled, had this problem all day yesterday as well) and then I keep getting stuck with a 3rd random who is fucking incompetent. Every single team I have played against is always three human players, two of which are always Leon and Voltar and there is just literally nothing I can fucking do no matter what class I play as to try to carry the team. And the player population is so abysmally small on 360 that in the probably 8 hours I've played yesterday and today I have seen a total of maybe 10-15 unique players. And then the game makes no attempt whatsoever to balance matchmaking, so I keep getting matched against the same multiple prestiged players over and over. There's no fucking point to even trying to play this game unless I have two friends on who are going to play with me, god fucking damn. And when I was playing with two friends yesterday we won every single game we played and I was far away in the lead of the three of us, so I'm pretty sure this is just not me sucking. I haven't even gone up a single level in the last two hours we are just getting destroyed so fucking bad. With less than 3000 people owning this game on 360 this is a total fucking bust for me, literally no one will be playing this game in two weeks.

Salz01

It's a crap shoot for me. Sometimes I'm on a good team sometimes I'm not. I keep getting disconnected though. That's pissing me more off. It seems to have bad net code. Then waiting for the host to pick their selection and having to wait 4 mins sucks. Otherwise Im pretty addicted tot the game.

eek5

GGs again equil. That starwars guy was pretty useless and now I know what it feels like to go against a good Leon. Feels bad man.

Leaderboards up to 3400 so 30% increase in playerbase!! :|

--
re: Leon builds

I'm liking atk speed+backstab. I think the damage bonus compared to solar cost is the most cost effective going with these two. The speed also helps increase your dummy DPS

Joni

Ah, I switched it up to Voltar for a couple of games and I'm now level 45. :) I don't think I'm going to prestige as I have planned a session with friends in a couple of weeks and want to be the full 45 when we play.

equil

GGs again equil. That starwars guy was pretty useless and now I know what it feels like to go against a good Leon. Feels bad man.

Leaderboards up to 3400 so 30% increase in playerbase!! :|

--
re: Leon builds

I'm liking atk speed+backstab. I think the damage bonus compared to solar cost is the most cost effective going with these two. The speed also helps increase your dummy DPS

He finally quit, and the bot was doing so much better than him. lol

Card Boy

Banned
Despite my protests I finally got the game. I have being carrying my team in every match I usually go 10-2, 10-0. So many DOTA nubs haha and people treating it like Super Smash Brothers lol.

I main Lonestar and start off with extra Solar over time then I start maxing out my TNT. I don't really dig the bull.

equil

I hate trying to fight a Froggy + Leon Pair. Froggy stuns with this smash thing and Leon comes in and cleans up everytime.

bluehat9

The frog is a beast in the midgame. The stundash + tornado with shield and you can kill just about every character aside from the robot before they can move away.

Running into the slasher guys that have 'slow' on the blade is not too fun either.

bluehat9 on psn if anyone wants to play with someone from gaf...fair warning that I'm not the best at this game though. :(

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Running into the slasher guys that have 'slow' on the blade is not too fun either.

Leon is fucking dangerous, when you are running and you hear the invisibility PING and the dummy near by, get ready to PROTECT YO' ASS and Back of Course, Cause He Coming Fo' it

I downloaded it on PSN (free, yay!) and tried it out. It seemed fun but I could never get a game started. This was the night after it was posted to the PS Store. Anyone else have connection issues too?

Ifrit

I'm disappointed that this game doesn't seem to have a single player campaign, but hey at least I had it for free :)

GraveRobberX

I downloaded it on PSN (free, yay!) and tried it out. It seemed fun but I could never get a game started. This was the night after it was posted to the PS Store. Anyone else have connection issues too?

Depends on the host

Just press Select if you get into the game, you can see who the host is, and his ping, if 5 green bars, AWESOME!, if 1 little Red Bar.. OH OH!

I got disconnected while I had 22,000+ Solar and we were like 1 turret away from getting into their base, Host disconnected, took the whole room with him, was upset like no fucking tomorrow

First day had 5+ hiccups, but, after a couple of tries you get into a stable room, just keep playing, don't stop, somehow that shit works

Jhriad

Had a game yesterday as Voltar where I had more than double the player kills (7) and minion kills as the other two players (Lonestar & Clunk) combined. Some people are just terrible at this game.

Don't see how this game flew under my radar considering how much I enjoyed this studio's previous offering with Swords & Soldiers (hnngghh, waiting for Steam sale to get the PC version). But I'm ... REALLLY new to MOBA type games, I didn't enjoy LoL in the slightest but DOTA2 left me with some really positive feelings. This game being as seemingly simplistic as it is, is definitely a plus as far as I'm concerned.

That said I'm still sorta hesitant about purchasing. It's a bit of a tossup between this, Godhand, Odin Sphere, or waiting for Skullgirls DLC. I wasn't too impressed with the footage I saw in the Gametrailers review but Gaf impressions seem fairly positive. The design on the healer looks amaaazing too, so that's a plus as far as I'm concerned because generally I gravitate towards support type dudes in any game I play.

The question of support (from the developer) is also a pretty big one as far as I'm concerned, I don't think I'd feel comfortable jumping into a title like this with questions regarding whether or not the game is going to see regular updates. And with Dota2 being confirmed to be free to play I'm feeling even less inclined to pump even 10 dollar into this.

Anyone who've just gotten their feet wet with MOBA type games want to offer some impressions? And how does this game compare to the studios previous effort in Swords & Soldiers?

Edit : Lol, guess I'll try the demo.

MrDaravon

Depends on the host

Just press Select if you get into the game, you can see who the host is, and his ping, if 5 green bars, AWESOME!, if 1 little Red Bar.. OH OH!

I got disconnected while I had 22,000+ Solar and we were like 1 turret away from getting into their base, Host disconnected, took the whole room with him, was upset like no fucking tomorrow

First day had 5+ hiccups, but, after a couple of tries you get into a stable room, just keep playing, don't stop, somehow that shit works

Just had this happen to me, annoying as fuck. Host migration usually works fine, but of course it kills the game when I'm having the best game ever. There continues to be so few people playing on 360 that I keep running into the same people. Ironically I got on today and praise Jesus it put me on the same team as these two guys that have been running a train on me when I'm playing solo (UGA Dan and Njoroge) and we ran the craziest spree for a few games, it was absurd. We won one game in maybe less than 5 minutes?

The most annoying thing about the disconnect is that as far as I know you lose all of the accumulated XP and whatnot; if that stuff still counted in real time to your account it wouldn't be a huge deal. Also the game almost ALWAYS tells me that I didn't finish the previous game when I totally did, does anyone else have that problem?

eek5

yuri.jpg

Yuri is a beast! I tried it for the first time; ended up just speccing mines for maximum damage, fastest cooldown and longer longevity then I'd just drop bombs from the heavens :lol

Anyone who've just gotten their feet wet with MOBA type games want to offer some impressions? And how does this game compare to the studios previous effort in Swords & Soldiers?

Edit : Lol, guess I'll try the demo.

I've never really played MOBA games before this but I can give you some tips.

1) Don't die. You lose currency (solar) when you do and you have to wait to respawn. It's ALWAYS better to retreat.
- If you have less than 135 solar while retreating it's usually better to pick up health somewhere on the map. You should learn the maps, locate where health spawns and where neutral enemies will spawn (green dots on mini map). This means you can heal without having to make the long trek back

2) Kill enemy bots. Both sides have bots that spawn and will push towards the opposing team's side. Once they get close to a turret they'll pull out shields and tank damage. If you clear a path for them, more of them will make it to enemy turrets. Killing bots also drops solar so if you kill a lot of them you can upgrade your stuff faster.

3) You don't have to kill every enemy turret. You just have to forge a path to their core. Sometimes it can be beneficial to take out all of them but usually just clearing a way to the core is enough.

4) Use red/blue gates to your advantage. Usually no one will guard those so you can exit your base through them to flank or retreat through them to teleport home.

Tips vs Leon:
It's kind of hard to go against Leon if you've never played as him before. Basically he can cloak which makes a dummy clone. While cloaked he is invisible. You should always watch out for invisible obstacles (i.e. you're trying to run forward but you can't move). That's leon.. kill him.

If he upgrades backstab it makes a noise when he hits you. At this point it is extremely difficult to retreat so you might as well go 1v1 against him and hope for the best.

ZenaxPure

I wasn't really enjoying the game much because of the controls, I got my copy from PS+ and I hate the PS analog sticks. Annoys me to no end the game puts crappy team commands no one uses on the d-pad instead of letting me use them to move.

Anyway, something just clicked last night as I ended up playing for like 7 hours. I pretty much dominated after getting my footing and am 100% convinced that Leon is the go to character if you are playing alone. I had multiple games where I destroyed 2 turrets + the solar core on my own as my team just dicked around on defense doing nothing.

The build I end up settling on varies depending on how competent my team is but in most cases I find myself going max attack, max stealth damage, max hp first, and then picking up whatever else I can after. Most games I end up not even grabbing the tongue ability. It's pretty much the perfect build for soloing turrets I've found. As long as no one gets in your way you can usually do about 1/3 of a turrets HP before running away to stealth and regen hp if you have cloak regen or just find NPCs to kill for HP.

I had to pull myself away from the game or I know based on past experiences I would of just sat there playing it all day instead of doing other things I need to get done.

equil

yuri.jpg

Yuri is a beast! I tried it for the first time; ended up just speccing mines for maximum damage, fastest cooldown and longer longevity then I'd just drop bombs from the heavens :lol

I think Yuri is the most underrated character. I rarely see him being used.

eek5

I think Yuri is the most underrated character. I rarely see him being used.

I was playing on the 3 turret map and we managed to push them into the last turret and I was just dropping mines outside of it and they had no idea what to do. Stepping out basically hit them with 100+ damage lol

It was awesome pre-planting mines around and then engaging them in a fight only to have them try to run away straight into my traps too.

MrDaravon

I see Yuri super rarely, but I just played a few games with a guy who took the ability with Yuri where allies within your timesphere range whatever (forget what it's called) are healed, and I was playing as Voltar and we just straight wrecked 2 turrets within probably 2 or 3 minutes of the match starting, there was almost nothing the other team could even do. To be fair the guys we were playing against weren't the greatest, but even against a good team I definitely see that being incredible annoying to deal with.

I'm actually really enjoying this game so far. These guys are just the masters at taking an otherwise complicated game type and simplifying it in a way that doesn't make it sacrifice too much of the strategy elements of the game, my brother and I loved Swords & Soldiers and I imagine we'll love playing this game with splitscreen co-op. Hopefully these guys continue to support the game post-release.

C4Lukins

Looks like the 360 leaderboard is finally updating again. I had played probably ten sessions and my name never appeared. Played one today and there I was, but it did not count any of my previous games. No big deal because it still registered my level and unlocks.

Card Boy

Banned
That healer is crazy as fuck.

Basically get extra solar gain perk. Then get the perk that gains solar per healing wave. And watch the solar go up like crazy.

I think i made it to level 40 with him.

That healer is crazy as fuck.

Basically get extra solar gain perk. Then get the perk that gains solar per healing wave. And watch the solar go up like crazy.

I think i made it to level 40 with him.

I have finally prestige on this game and can't believe the Healer is the best. As long you have a tank on your team, heal push back and additional solar, the healer is unstoppable. Anybody want to play later?

PSN=ChauncyTalon

I have finally prestige on this game and can't believe the Healer is the best. As long you have a tank on your team, heal push back and additional solar, the healer is unstoppable. Anybody want to play later?

PSN=ChauncyTalon

Shouldn't leon be able to assassinate a Healer given the right upgrades? I mean the healer does have the lowest health in the game.

ZenaxPure

Shouldn't leon be able to assassinate a Healer given the right upgrades? I mean the healer does have the lowest health in the game.

Yes. Playing Leon I often run around to the back and ambush healers when needed. He dies extremely fast, even upgraded. I assume with a properly coordinated team where they guard the healer it could be hard to kill him - but I have not ran into that situation yet.

eek5

Yes. Playing Leon I often run around to the back and ambush healers when needed. He dies extremely fast, even upgraded. I assume with a properly coordinated team where they guard the healer it could be hard to kill him - but I have not ran into that situation yet.

Yuri is decent at disrupting healer tactics. People like to group up and the mines can do AoE to everything

MrDaravon

Probably won 15 games in a row today, all as Voltar. Half of my teammates were completely incompetent, but I still probably only died a total of 3 or 4 times. Halfway through my first Prestige it's really, really hard to argue that Voltar is not overpowered. As mentioned above a decently strong Leon is probably the way to go to take out Voltar, but early on I just take the knockback heal as my first or second purchase and the knockback buys me enough time 99% of the time to get away from Leon. That's also assuming that I have no teammates or anything else at all as cover/protection. Dude is way overpowered. I probably still have the most fun playing as Lonestar (love the bull, pretty much never fuck with the dynamite except for very endgame), but I'll always wait to pick characters until last and roll with Voltar assuming no one else does.

I'd probably nerf Voltar and Leon's damage output a bit, drop Clunk's HP a bit, and maybe reduce the stun on Froggy's (?) splash. Right now though it seems way too easy with Voltar or Leon to solo turrets (with Voltar I can frequently go 100% through TWO turrets in the first 5-6 minutes in the same pass with only a couple of upgrades). Alternatively Clunk has waay too much health especially with upgrades, even for a fully damage spec'd Leon. Froggy's spash with maxed out cooldown and stun time is fucking absurd, I can almost completely juggle people indefinitely. Basically right now it seems like as soon as one team gets any momentum it's a complete landslide and the "endgame" just escalates super fast, and IMO the best way to balance that right now (short of having new maps that add an additional set of turrets) would be to nerf the above things a bit so it doesn't get so out of control one way or the other so fast. I see so little of Yuri that I don't have much of an opinion on him, and Lonestar seems to be more or less fine.

MrDaravon

Its because half the people playing treat it as if its Super Smash Brothers and just play for PvP.

Well even at that they were failing, so eh. My point was more than even with two people running in circles, idling, or two bots I was completely carrying wins with just Voltar against 3 decent human players, and I honestly don't consider myself that fantastic at the game.

GraveRobberX

This maybe crazy but what the hell I'm in the Mood

Clunk = Tank. Mega Health. Chomp can be stack-able and hit multiple enemies if leveled up correctly and the leech effect is potent. Explosion is AOE (Area of Effect) which upgraded to max, can full wipe out the whole fucking team in 1 shot, I have done this multiple times (Love announcer going "Team Just Got Wiped... KILLING SPREE!")

Leon - Dark Knight/Thief. Pure Damage. Insane DPS. The Cloaking/Dummy ability, can be a life saver + is the key to overwhelming anyone, if you strike to the enemies back. Tongue snatch has its advantages, can use it to reel in runaway low health enemies, but most forget if yoi want it can become a nice healing power and getting health from far away by killing droids and taking their life points

Yuri - Ranger. Death from above and far away. Get his laser maxed out, you can single handedly destroy turrets at your discretion. Mines cover your ass, by being markers and traps that you can use to get away, or notify if someone is coming near you

Froggy G - Blue Mage. May look weak in some people eyes, but the more you invest solar into him, the more powerful he becomes. His stun smash has to have the fastest cooldown ever, and the tornado with shield buff negates all damage done with-in that time frame.

Sheriff - Red Mage. As weird as it sounds, he is really an enfeebler. He de-buffs enemies so hard. Dynamite with either slow/blind, can really deter enemies from pushing forward, and the bull rush moves away forces and makes them struggle back to the position they were pushing forward at

Voltar - White Mage. God Tier Solar Accumulation Wise. If the end of the round your healer doesn't have at least 8-11 abilities all greened the fuck up, you got a shitty Voltar.
He can destroy enemies with < 75% health. His droids can destroy fool. Don't forget the healbot, if you grab the abilities right, it can become a stationary turret for a few moment sand do extra DPS free of charge

The 150 Solar Piggy Bank, and More Solar accumulated faster, I think are super helpful from the get go of the match, for all characters, you can really put a hurt on real quickly and get a few kills which automatically will maximize your Solar, giving you faster unlocks to be had/used

As Voltar, your main objective is to stay by your turret, when those little droids pass by, be behind them and be their savior
If too much heat on you on the lower level, switch to the high ones, if the opposite, do the lower level turrets
I can believe how many time Voltar are just sitting ducks in the middle of the map, just floating nonchalantly

The craziest combo is Clunk + Yuri + Voltar, hands down, you will win within 4-6 minutes, even if the other team has a buffed Leon/Froggy G/Sherrif as pure damage/enfeebler

(with Voltar I can frequently go 100% through TWO turrets in the first 5-6 minutes in the same pass with only a couple of upgrades).

What?! What are you upgrading first (outside of knockback) to get those kinds of results?

I feel like Leon is really only a dominating factor near the end of the game (after hes been able to afford his damage boosting upgrades), until that point I find that hes actually quite limited.

In terms of Froggy's splash, yeah that thing is silly. Double damage if you hit with the attack and the shockwave skill. Really just a super multipurpose skill. I may have to try your full cooldown (both skills?) build though. Sounds neat.

ZenaxPure

Alternatively Clunk has waay too much health especially with upgrades

I just want to take a moment and say:

Dear Clunk players, when you have full health and when you and I are standing near a turret with no other players/bots around will you please just stand there and absorb all the turret bullets while I smash away the turrets hp. You have a lot of hp, I know you can do it, I believe in you.

Seriously though, why bother playing Clunk if you aren't going to absorb turret damage from the squishier awesomenauts. There are so many times where we could of pushed through a turret early in the game if the Clunk player would stand there and eat the bullets.

I feel like Leon is really only a dominating factor near the end of the game (after hes been able to afford his damage boosting upgrades), until that point I find that hes actually quite limited.

I find it very easy to just play risk/reward here and spec only into damage. I've basically given up on the tongue upgrade. I have not even bought it in the past 10 or so games I did. For now I've settled on my upgrade order being 2x damage boost, stealth, 2x stealth damage increase, final damage boost. After that I just sort of play it by ear. It's pretty risky since I wait a while before grabbing stealth but I find it very much worth the effort because I can shred people early game very easy.

Raonak

Banned
fuck. played the demo... this game is good!
like lol. but you can control properly.

need to resuscribe to PS+.

eek5

I find it very easy to just play risk/reward here and spec only into damage. I've basically given up on the tongue upgrade. I have not even bought it in the past 10 or so games I did. For now I've settled on my upgrade order being 2x damage boost, stealth, 2x stealth damage increase, final damage boost. After that I just sort of play it by ear. It's pretty risky since I wait a while before grabbing stealth but I find it very much worth the effort because I can shred people early game very easy.

Does the 2x stealth do 2x dmg? I feel like getting backstab makes more sense since the first upgrade alone doubles your damage and it's easy to get a backstab out of stealth. With increased attack speed you can usually get 2 backstabs before they do anything and if it surprises them and they try to run you can keep getting 2x dmg backstabs.

ZenaxPure

I feel like getting backstab makes more sense since the first upgrade alone doubles your damage and it's easy to get a backstab out of stealth. With increased attack speed you can usually get 2 backstabs before they do anything and if it surprises them and they try to run you can keep getting 2x dmg backstabs.

It could, to be honest I have not messed with backstab much since the build is mostly for soloing turrets which (unless I am mistaken) are pretty impossible to backstab in most cases. I might mess with it later when I play some more.

My build is focused primarily on soloing the entire game since I rarely get in with players who know what they are doing (which is understandable I guess, but I hated losing every game).

That said, right before I logged off (due to my controller being out of battery power I should add :p) I got into a game with an amazing Yuri and Clunk player who did their roles properly and we completely dominated the other team before they could destroy a single one of our turrets. Felt sooooo good haha, haven't had this much fun PVPing since WoW arena back before blizzard butchered it.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I love this game. Picked it up last night and played a few games, a hell of a lot of fun. Played again today with my younger siblings and I had a blast. They were terrible but they seemed to love it.
It's just an addictive fun game. I'm already talking to my older brother to try and get a game going later on in the week. I convinced him it was awesome. ;)

bunbun777

I saw one lonestar actually using the bull to push people into opposing turrents which was quite funny, what isn't funny is the big robot's jacked up self destruct. Oh my it hurts. Still love the brain the most.

Nyx

Bought the game Saturdayafternoon, such a blast!
Level 14 now iirc.

Playing with Voltar and Leon mostly, and I think I’ve played some of you guys already. (BMHlive is a familiar name at least)

Some games I felt like I was the most crucial player, and some games I thought I was the worst by far lol.

Do have a question as well, seems I can still only make the 3-3-3-3 loadout, when will this change ? I want to use the better skills as well.
(or am I missing something obvious here…)

On XBLA btw, nyx1978

GraveRobberX

Do have a question as well, seems I can still only make the 3-3-3-3 loadout, when will this change ? I want to use the better skills as well.
(or am I missing something obvious here…)

On XBLA btw, nyx1978

You will only be allowed to pick 3 from the 6 choices available per ability/skill

The more you rank up, those locks on those abilities will open up, most are super versions, or give new buffs

MightyKAC

I'm happy to see people are liking and buying this game. I hope that translates to more sales and more content later on.

BHK3

Banned
I mainly just play lonestar, I usually lose whenever I don't have a bull constantly pushing back everyone/toward my turrets because my team is butt fucking retarded.

Fuck that god damn monkey and the fucking healer. This one monkey sat above our turret and just dropped bombs the whole fucking time. We couldn't hit him because he would just retreat up and kill worms for health. The healer can keep the entire team alive single handily and get filthy rich from it, sometimes I wonder if there's even a point to my bull if my team can't deal any damn damage so I should just jumbo 3 dynamite them just for a chance of survival. And fuck that lizard too, I swear I can NEVER hit one because he just disappears every 5 seconds.

Raonak

Banned
I'm happy to see people are liking and buying this game. I hope that translates to more sales and more content later on.

yeah, putting this free for PS+ was probably a good idea; builds up player count and can get extra money once the extra dlc characters come.

Nyx

You will only be allowed to pick 3 from the 6 choices available per ability/skill

The more you rank up, those locks on those abilities will open up, most are super versions, or give new buffs

Ah lol, I always picked the first 3 skills in a row and thought I had to get a certain level to be able to pick the other skills, but it's just 3 maximum per row. :D

Alright, finally got the full version for this game on my XBL. :)
So far I'm loving Clunk (tank) and Voltar (healer), but I haven't unlocked Yuri yet.

ZenaxPure

I decided to give backstab a go, this was the first game (bad quality I know, had to take the shot with my 3DS since it was the closest device with a camera to me lol)

L1Rne.jpg

I honestly felt bad for the other team. They forced me into killing them constantly because they were just camping the turrets. I can't say I didn't enjoy it though, and yes my internet is bad - I wish the game would stop trying to make me host matches. I "hosted" a game earlier today where like 15 different people disconnected due to latency. What a mess.

Top Bottom