• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesomenauts |OT| - 2D MOBA - [PC/XBLA/PSN] Now on PS4!

Card Boy

Banned
Ronimo are looking for feedback on the first balance patch on their Facebook page. Its just a 7 question survey with a optional comments section, i recommend people fill it out. So far most people think Leon is OP, Yuri is underpowered and people are split on Volton being balaced and OP. The rest people think are balaced.

PiLON

Neo Member
Ronimo are looking for feedback on the first balance patch on their Facebook page. Its just a 7 question survey with a optional comments section, i recommend people fill it out. So far most people think Leon is OP, Yuri is underpowered and people are split on Volton being balaced and OP. The rest people think are balaced.

That is my assessment as well. Leon has enough skills and builds that are effective that he could be split into two characters. I am underwhelmed by Juri, but found some usefulness for him today when I maxed the damage and cool down on the mines. He still dies immediately to Leon though, which is worse because of how strong and popular Leon is already. I think Voltar is fine, his usefulness will be downplayed when more healers are added, and with the possibility of Yuri's healing being buffed.

Kurod

Banned
Found a fun strategy with Yuri. Hold up in an area where you can hide. Continuously lay as many mines as you can. Then when an enemy runs by zap them with the laser. Most of the time they make a bee-line for you and jump into a deathtrap.

The lower platform in the middle of Ribbit IV works great as people also use it to get away from action and farm the jungle.

Edit: Also, there are rumors on the Ronimo games forum of two possible DLC characters.
Derpl Zork and Coco Nebulon
Lch7A.png

elfinke

I watched both the quicklook and the brief TNT look Giantbomb gave this game, and loved what I saw both times.

I'll be grabbing it on PS3 (as long as there is no ridiculous AusTAX added to the $10 price tag, like with I Am Alive) - what's the matchmaking like? Is it still travelling alright?

Card Boy

Banned
what's the matchmaking like? Is it still travelling alright?

Pretty good i havent had issues finding players. Also if you start a match with no people its got bots and the game finds a room with human players for you in the meantime.

Also the game has splint screen local co-op for 3 players to bring online, LittleBigPlanet style.

oSu0O.jpg

4th slot becomes the map.

Natiko

Banned
Maxed out my level today and finished up the achievements. Great game, had a lot of fun with it. I'll probably put it down for awhile until the new characters hit.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Those 2 rough designs look great, and the skills sound great, as well! Derpl's a moveable siege turret... he might transform into a replacement for a lost turret with that kind of ability, which sounds like a fantastic idea.

Coco sounds like a nice counter to Leon already. Her swoops of slow particles would probably make it harder to him to clone-and-escape. Would really have to see her in action to know how it'd all work together, though.

With more and more play, I'm still mostly annoyed by Leon, lol. Strong Voltar pushes are strong, sure, but he's so much more killable and manageable than Leon totally taking your players off the field with his insane damage. He even makes Clunk feel squishy!

I love how deep the character skills are in this game. It feels more like you're making a custom character, rather than just upgrading one. I tried a "master of orbs" voltar after being used to the heal/hurt pod + heal push, and it was like a whole new character of possibilities.

Nyx

With more and more play, I'm still mostly annoyed by Leon, lol. Strong Voltar pushes are strong, sure, but he's so much more killable and manageable than Leon totally taking your players off the field with his insane damage. He even makes Clunk feel squishy!

If you max out Clunk for missiles, explosion and health and ignore his eating-ability f.e., Leon has very little chance to kill him. In my experience at least.

My only complaint for Co-op is that it doesn't let someone attach a second or third player to a specific PS3 account, I get tired of seeing DiscoShark(1-3).

Edit : Going over DLC char descriptions, some of these sound really good. Do we know whether or not they'll be free DLC?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
If you max out Clunk for missiles, explosion and health and ignore his eating-ability f.e., Leon has very little chance to kill him. In my experience at least.

Yeah, that's what I'd hope, but doesn't always seem that way. I'm just suprised how easily he can take him down, even under assist from Voltar's healing.

All a part of finding the right builds, though! I'm not one who wants the ability to change characters in mid match (I like the idea of comitting to your builds and team strats for the long haul), but it might be very nice if they'd let you see your opponent selects too, though, somehow. I guess you can get around that by not over-comitting solar too early, but still..

My only complaint for Co-op is that it doesn't let someone attach a second or third player to a specific PS3 account, I get tired of seeing DiscoShark(1-3).

Edit : Going over DLC char descriptions, some of these sound really good. Do we know whether or not they'll be free DLC?

On XBLA, others can play with their gold accounts in splitscreen co-op, but that other player shares the level of the 1st player (so they have access to the abilities I have access to, as P1).

As far as DLC prices and all... naa, we know nothing about that. So far, I'd assume patches will (of course) be free, and characters will probably cost something. They mentioned there's be free and paid updates to the game, but that's as much as we know for now.

My biggest hope is that DLC will be playable VS even by those who might not buy directly. As much work as they put into these characters (nearly every upgrade has some kind of cosmetic change, which is pretty impressive, too many games don't take on such details), I don't mind the idea of paying for some DLC ($10 was cheap for the game in the first place, and lets not mention the free PSN deal!)

They did mention that the plan for the game was to have monthly updates though, according to their forum. So... hopefully, we'll know more fairly soon.

mrbagdt

I mean during character selection, pre-game, before the first launch from orbit. Maybe I didn't make that clear enough.

you can change your character in game, right? or do i just see people disconnecting, then someone reconnects as a different character?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
you can change your character in game, right? or do i just see people disconnecting, then someone reconnects as a different character?

I guess you're used to seeing dis/re-connects.

I really don't wanna see a character change... if anything, maybe a re-spec. I think the characters are made well enough where proper changes can help VS other builds, but it'd get really sloppy to see people switching characters, absorbing solar on making mediocre, never-strengthening builds because they think their character has NO chance at all.

Card Boy

Banned
It is free on the PS3 so Microsoft allows it to be free on the Xbox 360. Same thing happened for Burnout Paradise for instance.

Where is it free on PS3 just out of interest? I see nothing on the facebook page.

Cool beans if it is though.

MightyKAC

Where is it free on PS3 just out of interest? I see nothing on the facebook page.

Free for PlayStation plus subscribers.
Edit: oops I'm sorry I misunderstood. As it stands right now I thought they were still deciding on how it would be deployed.

Joni

No, I'm just saying the general guideline. Free on PS3 -> free on the 360 (if the developer wants to offer it for free)

I asked over in the Ronimo forums for date and pricing, here's what one of the devs responded with:

Jasper said:
Can't talk about pricing yet. As for timing, we're hoping to have the patch ready by the end of next week, after that it's up to Sony and Microsoft to see when it goes live. So no firm date yet.

Not sure how long XBL/PSN processing takes, but iirc, patches are much quicker processed than games themselves.

Card Boy

Banned
Leon is in need of a nerf bad. That slow effect is ridiculous combined with the backstabbing bonus/movement speed.

Come on let's vote for a new thread title. This one is outdated.

Manus

Man Juri is so hard to play with and the laser is super weak. I love how he plays, but it's been hard to learn him.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Man Juri is so hard to play with and the laser is super weak. I love how he plays, but it's been hard to learn him.

His land mine bombs is where it's at. Those things are ridiculous. Had a player spam them around near chokepoints and I just watched him raking in kills.

Natiko

Banned
I dunno, I ran into a Juri that wrecked my team once we got to the end. Him and a Lone Star were constantly piling mines and TNT in front of their base plus the Juri was healing it when we did do damage. We were easily winning up until that point.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member

I agree. I find him the hardest to play by far. And because his 'jump' feels clumsy and slow he's hard to get out of bad spots. Hence why most just fly above and spam mines.

Played my first online games last night. I have connection problems from where I play so the first couple of games I disconnected seconds into spawning.
I played Leon the first game, came in late and we pulled off a comeback win.
The second game was with Froggy and we must have played new players or something because I was 16 levels above their best... We should have done better than we did but they did well to keep out droids occupied so we couldn't easily bring down their towers. Pulled off an easy win once they tried to sneakily steal our last tower.
So much fun.

You guys are crazy man Yuri is beast. Mines + Bounce + Damage/CD = Destruction man. You can create walls of just insane damage that the opposing team has to take out to stand a chance, just amazing at area denial.

His laser is actually REALLY good as well. I usually end up getting the cheaper damage upgrade to lasers since he can only do 2 damage max on turrets for an individual hit and you can fly up to a place where the turret cant physically hit you but you can attack it anyway. Couple that with some laser speed upgrades and you can whittle down a fair amount of damage on turret before someone bothers to notice you.

I'm still a bit lost as to how to effectively use his aura but ... whatever. Doesn't really need it as far as I know. I think the thing needs like a duration buff, something close to how long medic's healing station stays out, as is the thing dies out wayyy too quick.

Yuri is a beast, but even against bot Leons I have trouble using him (especially if my own team of bots doesn't have a Leon on it! >.<), because Leon just completely screws him over. Even if I manage to get away from his slash range, he just yanks me back down with his stupid tongue.

I love mining a whole lane, though, especially bushes where you can't see them until its too late.

So I've been pretty much relegating Mines to later game play with Yuri, they dont seem like game changers early on and I feel he can be more effective as a guy who focuses on sniping turrets in the early parts of the game where no one is doing much damage anyway.

Hmm, was thinking of putting my pending build here but Ive realized I havent experimented with stacking two laser damage boosts at the same time, as far as I know he can only max out at 2 damage per individual hit on a turret but I need to test to confirm.

Kurod

Banned
Yuri's suction laser upgrade is pretty damn good for holding runners. Just remember to tap the button instead of holding it like usual.

Nyx

Found the stats menu, 21 hours played, damn. :D

So addictive, so much fun.
Hope we get some more chars soon!

Ocho

I'm looking for people to play with on the 360 . I'm located in Mexico, but can speak English decently. I have dota/LOL exp and understand the principles of this game. Who do I add? :)

Card Boy

Banned
Awesomenauts music on Bandcamp including the extended theme.

http://sonicpicnic.bandcamp.com/album/awesomenauts

Graffiti

We're making some tweaks to Yuri's mobility in the upcoming patch, so that should make it a bit more feasible to escape in the future :)

Also Leon & Voltar are going get nerfed in the upcoming patch. They said its acouple weeks away. I assume its still going through cert with either Sony or MS (or both)

Basically all characters are get adjusted in the upcoming patch some for the better and some for the worse (if you like OP stuff). Some perks are going to get replaced completely according to some Facebook posts from the developers.

I think best of all the patch includes another Awesomenaut which is this one

Are we getting patchnotes of the changes happening to the game? I'm pretty sure of the removed perks Leon is definitely losing slow dagger. That thing is just hella silly.

Top Bottom