• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesomenauts |OT| - 2D MOBA - [PC/XBLA/PSN] Now on PS4!

MrDaravon

What?! What are you upgrading first (outside of knockback) to get those kinds of results?

I feel like Leon is really only a dominating factor near the end of the game (after hes been able to afford his damage boosting upgrades), until that point I find that hes actually quite limited.

In terms of Froggy's splash, yeah that thing is silly. Double damage if you hit with the attack and the shockwave skill. Really just a super multipurpose skill. I may have to try your full cooldown (both skills?) build though. Sounds neat.

Without looking at the game the main key to pulling off that kind of shit with Voltar early on (at least for me) is just at least unlocking the Healbot and Drones, then getting the perk that gives you more Solar for healing and probably most importantly the knockback effect on healing. What people may not realize is you don't have to actually be healing something for the knockback wave to still go out. I'm not sure if it's time-based or # of shot based (I'm assuming it's timed) but if I'm holding down the heal button the knockback comes out every 3rd shot. So in an ideal scenario if I can get on a turret early on with just two droids even with the base level heal and healbot I can usually take it out; the base level healbot and heal will allow me to keep my droids fully healed because the knockback coming out that frequently is blowing enemy droids coming out to protect the turret away. That additional damage they're no longer doing to your droids allows you to keep them healthy enough to keep them going, then by that point you probably have two more droids theres and your drones are also helping somewhat as well to do minimal damage (since it's only the base unlock) but also to provide a distraction for the turret to shoot at. Then in theory you've got at least 4 drones with a super droid on the way and you can start to work towards the second turret, and at that point usually the enemy players will come for you but given the situation your allies will usually come as well and you can just brute force it. Worse case if you have to bail or even die by that point I've usually accumulated 1200+ Solar so you can go to town on upgrades.

Obviously that's much easier to do if your teammates are either with you, or keeping the other human players busy so it's not something I can pull off every single time but I can do it pretty often, and as has been mentioned multiple times the momentum in this game is a big deal, so being able to take out a turret in one or even two goes very early on is huge. But yeah short version is knockback is totally clutch, and like I mentioned in my post is actually good enough to let me get away from Leons most of the time who is your only real nemesis. Using knockback didn't even occur to me until someone was doing it to me in a couple of games and I couldn't even figure out what they were doing at first.

I saw one lonestar actually using the bull to push people into opposing turrents which was quite funny, what isn't funny is the big robot's jacked up self destruct. Oh my it hurts. Still love the brain the most.

I do that all the time with Lonestar, just drop down/come up behind a group of people jacking our turret and push them into it, half the time if you have droids out at the turret as well it will trap them between the droids and the turret and you can often times wipe their team there, especially if you have slowdown on the bull or any allies nearby.

I mainly just play lonestar, I usually lose whenever I don't have a bull constantly pushing back everyone/toward my turrets because my team is butt fucking retarded.

Fuck that god damn monkey and the fucking healer. This one monkey sat above our turret and just dropped bombs the whole fucking time. We couldn't hit him because he would just retreat up and kill worms for health. The healer can keep the entire team alive single handily and get filthy rich from it, sometimes I wonder if there's even a point to my bull if my team can't deal any damn damage so I should just jumbo 3 dynamite them just for a chance of survival. And fuck that lizard too, I swear I can NEVER hit one because he just disappears every 5 seconds.

FYI you can get an ability for the bull that makes it explode and do damage when it runs out, I haven't messed with enough to get a feel for how damaging/worthwhile that is though.

Also just because I don't think I saw it mentioned, when you Prestige you do have to re-earn all ability unlocks, but you DO keep all the characters themselves unlocked, thought that might be worth mentioning.

Okay, so I unlocked all characters and understand most of them, but Yuri... What the fuck is Yuri supposed to do? Not to mention that Leon outright destroys him cause he can't get the hell away, lol.

Leon's slashes and some specials like Froggy G's splash will cut off his Jetpack.

Yea, I assumed. I usually end up being paired up against a Leon and get destroyed utterly cause I can't gtfo.

Can you maybe tell me what I am supposed to do with Yuri? I have no idea. I assume it's like, pulling the enemies into your mines with your laser or something?

Kurod

Banned
Most people I see use him just float out of reach and rain mines. He can also harass turrets by attacking from spots where they don't shoot back.

Okay, so I unlocked all characters and understand most of them, but Yuri... What the fuck is Yuri supposed to do? Not to mention that Leon outright destroys him cause he can't get the hell away, lol.

I do best with Yuri by maxing out Mines(damage, duration, Cooldown) and Movement speed. I can't count how many times I've turned a match around by spamming mines all over our base.

I've found that Yuri is absolutely fantastic with space control, I've seen him being used in conjunction with bounce bombs to be akin to trying to fight a wall. I'd imagine a build for him would go something along the line of max the shit out of all of your mine skills.

Has anyone had success using his space-time distortion thing? Feels useless atm.

~

My god Clunk with maxed out explosion damage. So scary.

eek5

I've found that Yuri is absolutely fantastic with space control, I've seen him being used in conjunction with bounce bombs to be akin to trying to fight a wall. I'd imagine a build for him would go something along the line of max the shit out of all of your mine skills.

Has anyone had success using his space-time distortion thing? Feels useless atm.

~

My god Clunk with maxed out explosion damage. So scary.

If you play as a team you could probably do some work with the distortion skill if you focused mainly on it. The main benefit of the skill seems to be the fact that you can speed up your players while slowing down theirs in the circle so you'd need teammates to work with since droids don't do a lot of damage. I think mines are so much more useful though

Pressing A puts you into fly mode. You basically hover and can move in all 4 directions. Leon isn't really a problem because you can hover higher than he can jump can just drop mines on him.

equil

Geez, they look ridiculously strong. The only time I played them I focused all on healing, I didn't realise the drones would be so strong.

I love the fact that I can take out turrets just by using my drones to draw all the fire while I heal them.

PiLON

Neo Member
Looking for some people to play with. I just got the game and am new to MOBAs in general so don't expect much :p

My gamertag on XBL is PiLON

Thanks.

Nyx

Played some games yesterday in which the opposing team really worked together, winning was impossible due to this. (and the fact my teammates weren’t the best)

Anyway, I really need to convince my GF to play with me, as a team of 2 (Clunk and Voltar f.e.) would already be very strong I reckon.

Yuri is also a beast when played right, as the opponent team showed. That Yuri was constantly hovering above the rest of his team, spamming mines, and this meant that coming close with Leon to kill an opponent player in that group was impossible due to all the mines lying around.

Fell in love with Clunk yesterday as well, had an awesome game with him, killing 10 opponents and eventually winning the game.

Maxed out the explosion, rockets and health, and became a killing machine.

Just need to learn Froggy now, never really played with him.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Played some games yesterday in which the opposing team really worked together, winning was impossible due to this. (and the fact my teammates weren’t the best)

Anyway, I really need to convince my GF to play with me, as a team of 2 (Clunk and Voltar f.e.) would already be very strong I reckon.

Yuri is also a beast when played right, as the opponent team showed. That Yuri was constantly hovering above the rest of his team, spamming mines, and this meant that coming close with Leon to kill an opponent player in that group was impossible due to all the mines lying around.

Fell in love with Clunk yesterday as well, had an awesome game with him, killing 10 opponents and eventually winning the game.

Maxed out the explosion, rockets and health, and became a killing machine.

Just need to learn Froggy now, never really played with him.

Froggy and Leon and my favs. Froggy is fun if you can master his dash and then tornado while they're stunned. I don't know how effective that is in live matches though. I also love him because of how mobile he can be.

Joni

That is why tongue catch is necessary for Leon. You just pull Yuri out of the air, especially if the tongue catch cooldown is levelled it can be lethal for Yuri.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Only thing I hate is the 2 bonuses, Playing with Invited Friends/Splitcreen, they really don't give you that much of a boost

I got a whopping 1000 Solar for going Random

My Voltar can make that in 2 minutes or less, try to have it up there, that you took a risk

Same with Splitscreen

Joni

Only thing I hate is the 2 bonuses, Playing with Invited Friends/Splitcreen, they really don't give you that much of a boost

I got a whopping 1000 Solar for going Random

My Voltar can make that in 2 minutes or less, try to have it up there, that you took a risk

Same with Splitscreen

Pick Random and go back to the character selection screen if you don't like the choice. You can keep doing random picks without losing anything, so you can get Voltar by picking random.

Nyx

Pick Random and go back to the character selection screen if you don't like the choice. You can keep doing random picks without losing anything, so you can get Voltar by picking random.

So essentially a free 1.000 solar ?

*noted

GraveRobberX

Until one of your team-mates picks him and locks you out from having him, HAHA!

Yuri is really a beast... I played a game where there was a really good Yuri on the other team who would pretty much just bomb carpet the entire floor, lol.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I love using Froggy G, you can be the most annoying git ever with a low cool down on your special attacks.

Card Boy

Banned
OK Yuri is pretty good. I just went for maxing out bombs and laser first. I had a enemy team of dumbarses all on the same PS3 that kept of running into the mines haha.

I decided to give backstab a go, this was the first game

I've been getting the hang of Leon while trying to go for that "top of the scoreboard" achievement (yes, I'm an achievement whore, at least occasionally).
I love the combination of the backstab with the uncloaking damage, it's really easy to obliterate a Voltar who isn't careful and/or hanging out close to the turrets. I was incredibly squishy cause I only took the damage boosts, but it was so rewarding, haha.

With that said, I had trouble killing Clunks and Froggy Gs; former because of the massive health so they were able to get away even with lots of damage output, latter because the frog's probably the best to kill off Leon; stun him with splash, then tornado into Leon and he's pretty much dead. That's what happened to me pretty regularly, at least.

eek5

I finally played one of those games where one team had the game sealed and the other team came back... but this time I was on the receiving end of the loss. :mad: It feels so bad.

ZenaxPure

I've been getting the hang of Leon while trying to go for that "top of the scoreboard" achievement (yes, I'm an achievement whore, at least occasionally).

Haha, I am right there with you. I actually got REALLY bummed out last night because I hit max level (which is apparently 45, thing is it was one of those games where we crushed the other team so hard I gained 2 levels, so it was very anti-climatic) and afterwards got every trophy in the game except for the join a game with friends one and play splitscreen (the latter I can't even do because I only have 1 PS3 controller). I was expecting a longer journey to completion to be honest.

With that said, I had trouble killing Clunks and Froggy Gs; former because of the massive health so they were able to get away even with lots of damage output, latter because the frog's probably the best to kill off Leon; stun him with splash, then tornado into Leon and he's pretty much dead. That's what happened to me pretty regularly, at least.

Clunks are just trouble as Leon. I pretty much never go 1v1 with them unless they are close to death. If another ally is going after them I run over and help but otherwise I just let them be. Froggy on the other hand I tend to just stalk while cloaked and wait for them to use their dash attack then drop down from whatever platform I am on and start tearing into their backs. In a lot of cases I can burn half of their hp before they notice what is going on and then I just try to chase them to finish them off. Probably about a 50/50 success rate since Froggy is pretty fast and I never grab the speed boost for Leon.

Also a random tip to everyone, or at least something I did not know about so I figure someone else might not either: On the map with the Solar bosses in the middle (name slips my mind atm) on the bottom level right where the hidden platform is you can jump off there is two glowing spinning disc things under the floor. If you use down+jump to "drop down" to them it boosts you all the way to the top of the map so you don't have to jump all the way through the middle section. Was pretty cool when I did it on accident haha.

Haha, I am right there with you. I actually got REALLY bummed out last night because I hit max level (which is apparently 45, thing is it was one of those games where we crushed the other team so hard I gained 2 levels, so it was very anti-climatic) and afterwards got every trophy in the game except for the join a game with friends one and play splitscreen (the latter I can't even do because I only have 1 PS3 controller). I was expecting a longer journey to completion to be honest.

Yeh, I'm definitely gonna "boost" the splitscreen one with a friend. Weirdest achievement ever. I'm at level 25 or so, so I still have a bit of gameplay left, and you can always prestige.

Probably about a 50/50 success rate since Froggy is pretty fast and I never grab the speed boost for Leon.

I advise you to actually pick it up somewhere mid-game, because it is insanely useful not only to chase fleeing enemies, but also to get away should you suddenly be overwhelmed. I tend to pick it up after getting the basic skill loadout, backstab, cloak regeneration, 1 uncloak damage and 1 slash damage boost. :) Sometimes even when I like, go out and they do manage to kill me, but I don't have 200+ yet to buy a full upgrade, but just enough for the speed boost (which is about 130 I believe).

Also, when going for the backstab build, you don't need health at all. Most of the time you'll want to stealth and get quick kills, then GTFO. In my loadout, I always pick speed boost, piggy bank and solar tree for the additional money (basically, piggy bank is a free solar tree!).

Also a random tip to everyone

I actually saw bots doing that, but I still occasionally forget about it, heh.

Froggy G is ridiculous and everyone I've seen use him so far haven't been making use of like his best skill. Hammer Pants!

This skill is AMAZING when used correctly and doubles the damage output and increases the utility for his splash for only the cost of 220. Basically it turns splash into a 2 part attack that involves hitting the opponent with the dash portion, and then hitting the opponent again with a shockwave it emits when the attack is aimed at the ground. You can use the shockwave portion of the attack to people camping turrets for a quick and easy 25 damage, hitting with both nets 50 damage.

Early game this skill is just an absolute menace and makes Froggy do some of the highest damage from the get go for a skill with already ridiculously low cooldown. Combine this with increased stun and his tornado and you can VERY effectively take out people that stray too close.

A build for me usually goes something along the lines of

(Spawn)
+125 Gold -> Gold Regen -> Splash

(When get 220g)
Hammer Pants!

(150g)
Stunx1

(130?)
Tornado

(150)
Stunx1

(260?)
Tornado Invinc.

After this I can do whatever the hell I want because everyone DIES. The AoE/Damage of splash is ridiculous when coupled with Stun, Range, Speed, and its very low cooldown. Instant 50 damage to a group of enemies that you can then setup to be hit with a tornado while they're stunned.

Card Boy

Banned
So far i have found focusing on 1 skill per Awesomenaut is better than spreading the solar across multiple perks. Sheriff Lonestar with maxed out TNT straight up is godly.

Also we need to change the thread title, since its outdated now.

I propose

Awesomenauts |OT| - 2D MOBA - (XBLA/PSN) - ♫ Use your power, show your might! Awesomenauts! ♫

mrbagdt

played this some more yesterday, im kind of coming this from the dota/hon view point of a moba game.

few interesting things to me - apparently you can pick up the solar from your own robots dying and not just from killing enemy robots? that is sort of interesting and changes up some of how i play- it almost discourages you from attacking the creeps and letting your creeps get to the tower. if they fight each other in the middle and the other teams players are not there, you can get the solar from both sides completely on your own. if you do this for 4 creeps, you basically get the same amount of solar as you would if you killed somebody.

apparently, it seems to be best to have 2 people on one lane and one person on the other so you can get as much solar as possible.

make sure you spend your money whenever you collect a lot- the power ups are the difference between getting a kill and getting killed. it doesnt seem like gaining levels makes you stronger at all- it is buying powerups that makes you stronger. correct?

still figuring out the balancing and countering type things that you guys are talking about with different heroes... perhaps the game is a bit unbalanced like one guy was harping on earlier, but it still seems like it takes a good team make up to win a game.

GraveRobberX

21/3 as Leon

It's just not fair LOL

I died 3 times in row in the beginning, stupid Voltar user thinking he can heal the Turret.. FML >_<

Lonestar user kept spamming Dynamite, got backstab/dummy upgrade, 21 Killing Streak "Legendary" by the Announcer being screamed over and over

Highest Solar with him

21,542, still nothing on Voltar who can still do 25k+ easily

Honestly, I think the game is fairly balanced. There's a few minor things I think should be changed (and I don't think Voltar's money gain is particularly a problem on its own), but overall Ronimo did an awesome (pun intended) job.

The only changes I would do, imo:
Make Leon's damage against turrets a bit lower, he's supposed to kill players, not turrets.
Voltar's drones have to have lower health, and maybe have the healing station do less damage; if his offensive capabilities were toned down, he'd be much less of a problem.
Yuri's aura seems incredibly underwhelming. I have rarely seen someone use it at all; that it completely stops Yuri when activated doesn't help (that should be removed imo).

That's just like, my opinion.

PiLON

Neo Member
Anyone else run into someone who fully upgrades their gun as Lonestar? It is the most powerful build I have faced yet, destroys my Clunk with upgraded health in no time.

Still looking for some people to play with, haven't gotten into a match with anyone who is communicating over any of the games I have played yet. I'm on XBL, my gamertag is PiLON.

Thanks to those who have added me earlier, I hope you play with you all soon.

Anyone else run into someone who fully upgrades their gun as Lonestar? It is the most powerful build I have faced yet, destroys my Clunk with upgraded health in no time.

I actually tried that build today. It really is quite beastly, especially if you have someone who stuns/slows enemies for you!

Still looking for some people to play with, haven't gotten into a match with anyone who is communicating over any of the games I have played yet. I'm on XBL, my gamertag is PiLON.

Have you played random matches lately? I think I've seen you a time or two in random matches.

Card Boy

Banned
I think Voltar needs a slight nerf in solar gain and Turrets need to see show enemy Leons to your team like invisible units in DOTA when they get too close.

eek5

Honestly, I think the game is fairly balanced. There's a few minor things I think should be changed (and I don't think Voltar's money gain is particularly a problem on its own), but overall Ronimo did an awesome (pun intended) job.

The only changes I would do, imo:
Make Leon's damage against turrets a bit lower, he's supposed to kill players, not turrets.
Voltar's drones have to have lower health, and maybe have the healing station do less damage; if his offensive capabilities were toned down, he'd be much less of a problem.
Yuri's aura seems incredibly underwhelming. I have rarely seen someone use it at all; that it completely stops Yuri when activated doesn't help (that should be removed imo).

That's just like, my opinion.

Another thing is that Voltar shouldn't be able to get solar from healing fully healed units. Makes no sense

Sounds like 90% of the PSN. I have never heard anyone use their mics outside COD or SOCOM.

The only time I've heard mics on PSN is babies crying and loud music. Doesn't help that a lot of games don't even support muting individual players.

PiLON

Neo Member
Makes sense from what I've heard about PSN but I find it unusual that no one has their mics on XBL in this game. Especially when it requires good teamwork to be successful.

Another thing is that Voltar shouldn't be able to get solar from healing fully healed units. Makes no sense

Well, good thing he doesn't get money from fully healed units, because that would be bullshit.
Remember that there's actually an automatic solar gain over time.

mrbagdt

played another two hours last night.

if yuri is useful, i certainly haven't figure out how to make him useful. i must have been laying the wrong kind of mines because i could only lay one at a time and it just placed it where ever i was located at, floating in the air. i did an upgrade for them to bounce, but it still didnt seem very useful. if i could sort of float them forward maybe, or shoot them in a direction. i feel like i must be playing him wrong right now.

the healer is pretty absurd. if you have him and they are not defending a tower, you can take down a tower completely with the first creep wave.

leon is still my favorite to play. he is so hard to play against, i think most team make ups need to have him on their team.

i enjoy having all of these loadouts to choose from, i try to put some thought into it and make a powerful hero but i am still working out which upgrades are good and which are pointless. it seems like you should select the first couple of loadouts every time, the ones that are 1/3 where you can upgrade multiple times. if you had 3 upgrades you could only do once, how well does that scale compared to the upgrades you can do several times and become more and more powerful? just something that i'd been thinking about when selecting my builds. just want to make sure you can always keep spending solar and make your guy as buff as possible.

Top Bottom