• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesomenauts |OT| - 2D MOBA - [PC/XBLA/PSN] Now on PS4!

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I finally wound up getting this game, and I generally don't like MOBAs. :p Any recommendations for characters to start out with for beginners? Or conversely characters to avoid when just starting out?

Card Boy

Banned
I finally wound up getting this game, and I generally don't like MOBAs. :p Any recommendations for characters to start out with for beginners? Or conversely characters to avoid when just starting out?

They are all beginner friendly. If you go Voltar, make sure you get Solar Gain over time and Solar Gain per healing wave first off before anything else. With those two you will be at least be 15 levels higher than anyone else by the end of a match.

Lonestar and Clunk are probably your best choices. Voltar, Leon and Froggy G are quite simple, as well. The other 3 characters actually are a bit more specialized and have a weird gameplay, so you should be having the basics down before playing them.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Okay, I've played a couple of matches so far, and it's been pretty fun. Played one as Lonestar and the other as Froggy G. Died a few times in the first game due to newbieness, and once in the second match from being to aggressive trying to destroy the main drill / base / thingie at the enemy base, but I've been going for a fairly conservative play style since then. I'll try and destroy the enemy creep to clear a path for my own team's, blast enemy turrets when my creep is tanking them, and only really engage enemy players long enough to shoo them away from a given area. Also, lots of running away to the safety of my own turrets when my health is low.

Nothing really exciting, and I'm not exactly going to rack up the kills on enemy players, but I don't want to die a lot and consequently contribute to the other team, while hopefully whittling down enemy turrets whenever possible. Maybe I'll get a little more aggressive when I'm more used to the game, but for now I'm happy doing this in order to contribute without slowing down my teammates too much (I hope!).

But yeah, it's a surprisingly fun game. I like the pacing of it quite a bit, as I've always found other MOBAs like LoL a bit too slow for my tastes.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, I've played a couple of matches so far, and it's been pretty fun. Played one as Lonestar and the other as Froggy G. Died a few times in the first game due to newbieness, and once in the second match from being to aggressive trying to destroy the main drill / base / thingie at the enemy base, but I've been going for a fairly conservative play style since then. I'll try and destroy the enemy creep to clear a path for my own team's, blast enemy turrets when my creep is tanking them, and only really engage enemy players long enough to shoo them away from a given area. Also, lots of running away to the safety of my own turrets when my health is low.

Nothing really exciting, and I'm not exactly going to rack up the kills on enemy players, but I don't want to die a lot and consequently contribute to the other team, while hopefully whittling down enemy turrets whenever possible. Maybe I'll get a little more aggressive when I'm more used to the game, but for now I'm happy doing this in order to contribute without slowing down my teammates too much (I hope!).

But yeah, it's a surprisingly fun game. I like the pacing of it quite a bit, as I've always found other MOBAs like LoL a bit too slow for my tastes.

It's been my game of the year #1 for months (until Guild Wars 2). I thought it looked pretty terrible at first but loved the hell out of the 360 version.

My only real advice to anyone new is just to try to continually harass and push the lanes.
All characters have their strengths and weaknesses when doing this so it's all just a matter of finding how best to make any situation tilt in your favor rather than the enemies.

You could try and use a sort of hit and run approach early on, keeping moving and constantly harassing lane defenders near your tower so you lower the risk of being surprised by an enemy attack.

Also try and re-heal with neutral mobs and health spawns rather than teleporting back whenever you're low on health. I rarely teleport below 200 solar, this way I'm guaranteed an upgrade and I'm not wasting time. It also keeps you on the lanes longer.

Using your two example characters:
Lonestar is pretty good at lane pushing due to him being able to one shot both droids with upgraded dynamite plus his bull charge resets lane pushes. Froggy G is a little more risky, due to his low reach gun and low health.

Personally I let the droids attack towers solo for at least half the game unless I know I can make a large impact on a tower or to defend my droids when I know an enemy will reach the tower before my droids are dead. This changes though if I'm desperate to lower towers.

My way of playing Lonestar when I'm still fairly weak is try and do some weird jump + dynamite throw combination. This gets distance on your throws and keeps you fairly safe from enemy attacks. I feel standing stationary and throwing is a waste early on.

Froggy G, I feel, benefits from a more aggressive playstyle. Due to the risks involve in playing him the best way to level up quick, IMO, is to be proactive rather than waiting.
I love his dash and will use that nearly every time it's ready. I'll just dash into a group and jump away, hoping my dash stun will help my teammates get a kill. I'll most likely level that up for longer stuns and faster cooldowns as soon as i can. Then later on couple that with tornado so I can stun + tornado for an easy kill.
Later levels he's ridiculous if you can out-level the others.
I always feel his stun is better used when you can stun and stop his dash close to the enemy you want to kill. You can do this from dashing up or down from above/below an enemy or dashing from a far.

So many fun techniques to use.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Stupid newbie question, but when checking a current game's stats for kills, deaths, creep kills, turret kills, etc, what does the little green chart like symbol mean?

Mr Nash

square pies = communism

Ah, okay. Thanks for the advice too. I've tried pushing the lanes more with Lonestar, and it's helped a lot. I'm still not racking up kills, but it seems to help put steady pressure on the other team.

:D Thanks for 'motivating' me into buying this Gaf, I've been enjoying it all afternoon. Been playing with the lone ranger and experimenting with builds but I seem to get a bit reckless (die easily) then have no chance against the enemy heroes.
Will try some of the recommendations on this page with bounce bombs and slow cow.

Oh cool, I didn't know there was a thread for this game. I just bought it a couple of days ago and I'm having a blast. My favorite character is Voltar. Somehow I've managed to get the most kills in 2 games, one of which had me on a kill streak.

New character Gnaw has been released, along with patch 1.3. Here's the patch notes:

Patch 1.3
22-8-2012

New Features
- New Playable Character: Gnaw.
Gnaw's highly adaptable physiology allows him to thrive in almost any athmosphere. Gnaw was trained by a band of Amphibian cosmic bikerpirates, that rent him to any war general that is desperate enough to set loose the rabid, chitinous menace upon the battlefield.

Abilities:
Acid spit - Spit out a sticky spray of acid goo that damages enemies over time.
Grow Weedlings - Bite enemies to gather growth parts, then use those to grow a weedling.
Bite - Gnaw bites his enemies with his filthy maw, dealing damage over time.
Jump - Skroggles have a strong single jump.

- Added several songs to the downloadable Soundtrack (DLC). New tracks include Character Themes and Killing Spree theme for all characters, including Gnaw.

Character balance/fixes
- Med-I-can price decreased from 150 Solar to 120 Solar.
- Health increase from Power Pills has been increased from 30 health to 40 health.
- Solar Tree price decreased from 125 Solar to 100 Solar.
- The speed at which players are healed while in the base has been decreased from 1 health per 0.1 sec to 1 health per 0.2 sec.
- The visual effect of Blind now follows your character when you jump.

Clunk
- NEW! Cash Container (Life Bite) has been removed and is replaced with Power Converter. Power Converter decreases damage of Life Bite by 10, but increases lifesteal to 200% of damage dealt.
- The second stage of Multi Hose (Life Bite) has been removed.

Coco
- Cooldown of Ball Lightning has been increased from 5.5 sec to 7 sec.
- Blind Duration of Flashing Lights (Ball Lightning) has been reduced from 3 sec to 2 sec.
- Damage increase from Voltage Amplifier (Ball Lightning) has been increased from 5 to 7.

Derpl
- Force Field (Siege Mode) and Brim Force Field (Siege Mode) no longer protect Derpl from status effects.

Froggy G.
- Ice Cubes (Splash Dash) price has been increased from 140 Solar to 160 Solar.

Lonestar
- Blind Duration of Dark Matter Flashbang (Dynamite Throw) has been reduced from 3 sec to 2.5 sec.
- Fixed a bug with Dynamite Throw that would sometimes cause thrown Dynamite to disappear mid-air.
- Detonate-on-contact has been reverted to its original form: Dynamite will now always detonate on contact when the Rubber Sleeve upgrade has been purchased, and no longer detonates on contact without this upgrade.

Yuri
- Speed Increase from Flash Forward (Time Warp) has been reduced from 130% to 120%.
- Damage of individual Carpet Bombs (Mine Deploying) has been reduced from 14 to 13.
- Damage increase from Uranium Spikes (Mine Deploying) while Carpet Bombs (Mine Deploying) is active has been reduced 9 to 8.

Voltar
- NEW! Healing Wave has been redesigned and now heals targets for 3 health and applies an additional Healing over Time effect that heals targets for 10 health over 10 sec.
- NEW! Twisted Nightmares (Healing Wave) has been redesigned and now increases the Healing over Time effect of Healing Wave.
- Cooldown of Healing Wave has been increased from 0.9 sec to 1 sec.
- Damage increase from Weaponised Hull (Summon Drones) has been reduced from 10 damage to 5 damage.
- Weaponised Hull (Summon Drones) price has been increased from 210 Solar to 250 Solar.
- Drone Army (Summon Drones) price has been increased from 175 Solar to 200 Solar.
- Cooldown reduction from Drone Gateway (Summon Drones) has been increased from 4 sec to 6 sec.
- Drone Gateway (Summon Drones) price has been increased from 145 Solar to 190 Solar.
- Summoned Drones now display a proper graphic when detonated or destroyed.

General fixes: major fixes
- Fixed a crash in character select with a specific control scheme configuration.
- Added beta DirectX support, which should fix issues for some people who could not start the game at all, or only on Low despite having a new videocard. Known issues with DirectX: no full-screen, no VSync, controls configuration menu shows overlapping buttons (click above to select them), water too blurry.
- A number of cheaters have been banned. Cheaters can now only play against each other in their own private matchmaking.
- If your save-file is somehow lost, you will now still keep your profile level and prestige level. If you lost your save-file before this patch, your prestige level will now be restored by this patch.
- Alt+tab should work better now (switched to SDL 1.2.15 for that).

General fixes: minor fixes
- Matchmaker will now always prefer 2vs2 over 3vs1. 3vs1 can still sometimes happen if someone leaves a match, or leaves during character select.
- Mouse-button 6 now also works.
- Text-chat button can now be re-assigned.
- Master of the Universe achievement is now also given if you are already max level, instead of only when you reach highest level. Only after finishing a match.
- You can now never lose ranking points for winning a match.
- Fixed an error with scrolling in the leaderboards.
- Couple of textfixes.

Wow, Voltar's drones got nerfed hard. Thank goodness I mainly relied on Healbot Turret for damage. Shame that Coco got slightly nerfed too, I just started using her last night. :lol

Card Boy

Banned
Voltar never should be doing too much damage with his drones. He is primarily a support character and tower pusher. Lets face it, good Voltar players are like 10-15 levels higher than everybody else end game so a price increase on some skills isn't that much of a nerf.

Voltar never should be doing too much damage with his drones. He is primarily a support character and tower pusher. Lets face it, good Voltar players are like 10-15 levels higher than everybody else end game so a price increase on some skills isn't that much of a nerf.

Yeah, I agree. Still surprised at WHAT was nerfed, though. I never used the droid explosions, but I guess some people were so they got nerfed. Solar has never been a huge issue with my Voltar unless I entered a game which I was already losing (which seems to have been remedied slightly in the update).

I have yet to unlock Gnaw, I never got around playing the game after the Beta ended, so my profile is still level 5 or so, hah. I'll be trying to unlock him asap tho.

Card Boy

Banned
Notes for the coming week. Interesting Voltar Healbot changes there.

Patch 1.4

Character balance/fixes
Froggy G
-Splash dash cooldown increased from 6 sec to 7 sec
-Mutant Worms price reduced from 165 Solar to 110 Solar
-Thorn Fish price increased from 280 Solar to 450 Solar
-Can't touch this will no longer protect from status effects such as blind, stun and snare.

Coco Nebulon
-Lightning ball, Conducting gel price increased from 180 Solar to 210 Solar.
-NEW! Lightning ball, Heavenly fire now adds a blaze effect to lightning ball instead of increasing explosion size.
-Blaze, Time travel turbine price reduced from 165 Solar to 100 Solar.
-NEW! Electrify, Super conductor now adds homing electricity particles to your attack instead of increasing damage against turrets. Dealing 3 damage per particle.
-Blaze, Damage duration decreased from 2.5 sec to 2 sec and the ticktime decreased from 0.5 sec to 0.4 sec.
-Base health decreased from 135 to 125

Voltar
-Healbot, range increased from 6,6 to 8
-Healbot, Turret add-on attack rate increased from 30 to 240
-Healbot, Turret add-on damage decreased from 20 to 2
-Drones, Health increased from 15 to 20
-Drones, cooldown reduced from 12 sec to 11 sec

Derpl
-Catshot, Hoovercats now fly straight
-NEW! Siege mode, Iron fist bullets now give a chance to stun the target instead of doing knockback.
-Siege mode, Iron fist bullets stun duration 0.5 sec with a stun chance of 10%
-Siege mode, Derpl is now unable to jump during the transformation.
-Siege mode, base damage 9 > 10, Hollow point bullet upgrade split into two upgrades adding 2 damage each.

Leon
-Tongue pull, Cheese & Garlic mints silence duration increased from 0.5 sec to 0.75 sec

Yuri
-Laser, Flyswatter price reduced from 270 Solar to 165 Solar

Gnaw
-Acid Spit will no longer disappear when fired close to a wall.
-Acid Spit, Feather ball price reduced from 220 Solar to 180 Solar

http://www.awesomenauts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2440&p=16844#p16844

Card Boy

Banned
I assume DLC costumes are coming soon.

324689_432309953477973_835245025_o.jpg

I hope Leon turns into Frog from Chrono Trigger.

My guesses

-'Heracross' Beatle skin for Gnaw
-70's Voltar with Discoball
-Frog 'Chrono Trigger' Leon with a nerd undercut
-Sailor Moon Coco
-Bane-like Clank or maybe a Bomberman Clank
-Sporty Froggy G with skipping rope
-Modern day Cop Sheriff Lonestar

I got no idea about the others.

With patch 1.6 we're seeing a new hero stepping into the galactic arena: Skølldir the Terrible Space Viking! With a Gut for Glory and Fists of Fury, his entire bulk is something to fear!

Able to throw enemies around like ragdolls and making the ground itself shake with his buns of steel, you do not want to get anywhere near this stout fellow.

But wait! There's more!

Behind the scenes we're constantly working hard to improve the matchmaking and ranking systems. The first change you'll notice is in the way ranking is calculated.

Leaderboard entries are partially reset: all current ratings are sent to the bottom of the boards and after playing a match in 1.6, you'll be thrown up into the "new" Leaderboard where everyone ends up using the new ranking formula. Leaving a match will now always count as a loss and will be reflected as such in the rankings. If you're playing a match and all your opponents leave right before the end, your win will still be counted against the ratings of the opponents who left.

Once the new Leaderboard has filled out a bit, we'll be introducing Leagues. These will allow us to improve matchmaking, setting you up with opponents near your current skilllevel. Leagues will be released in the coming days, so stay tuned for those also!

With all these changes there comes the risk of introducing new bugs into the ranking system, even though we have tested the new system extensively. If any major bugs are found we may reset the leaderboard again in a future patch.

Here's an excerpt of the patch notes partaking the ranking overhaul:

General fixes: Major fixes
- The ranking system has received a major overhaul:
- Your increase or decrease in rank after a match is now scaled by how long you’ve been a part of the match. If you join a match that has already been in progress for a long time, your change in rank will be relatively small.

- When calculating your new rank at the end of a match, the skill of all players that have ever participated in that match will be taken into account. Previously, the skill of people that have left before the end of a match were not a part of the calculation.

- The penalty for leaving a match is now equal to a loss of that match. Even if you unplug your PC and / or network cable, the leave penalty will still be applied. The loss in rank will not be scaled by how long you’ve been a part of the match, so it will always be preferable to play until the (bitter) end.
- Split screen players used to count as if they had the same skill as bots, but now they will count as having the same skill as the main player. This fixes the major leaps in rank that split-screen players used to get.

- Because of all these big changes, the leaderboard and rankings of all players will be reset. Games played, win percentage and other leaderboard stats will not be reset.

For the full patch notes, visit the official forum here: http://www.awesomenauts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2440

---------------------------

Also, the Yogscast link to get the free costume code is right here: http://www.awesomenauts.com/yogscast/

Doopliss

Patch 1.6.1 (out today) lets you see what ranking/matchmaking bracket each is player is in. Small change, but it makes getting a kill extra satisfying when you know it was against a high ranking dude. Plus the goal of moving up a bracket is a lot more alluring than just creeping a few places up the leaderboard.

Patch 1.6.1 "leagues"
05-10-2012

New features
-Leagues are now visible in the leaderboards, scoreboard and main menu. There are 9 different leagues:

Players are now split into 9 leagues, from lowest ranked players to highest ranked players. The game will connect you to games from your own league and one below and one above. If you are in the bottom league you will be able to join games 2 leagues up and if you are in the top then you will be connected to 2 leagues down.

1 Awesomantium
2 Crimsonite
3 Thorium
4 Plutonium
5 Gold
6 Silver
7 Bronze
8 Iron
9 Copper

-Added Skølldir to the loading screen

Character balance/fixes
Lonestar
-Dynamite throw, incendiary grenades now correctly apply damage over time.

Skølldir
-Perfumed white flowers crit damage is halved against turrets.
-Mighty throw, homeless gnome damage is halved against turrets.
-Mighty throw, fixed a graphical bug

General Fixes
-Fixed overlapping texts in leaderboards
-Chat now works correctly at the end of the game (opponents often did not see what you typed)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I miss when this game was "A MOBA for consoles", and not "A Computer game, with console as second priority!"

I understand why it's happening, sure, but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable to watch. Love playing this game with brother with local Co-Op VS the online world, yet we're SOOO far behind, compared to PC version... :(

Card Boy

Banned
I miss when this game was "A MOBA for consoles", and not "A Computer game, with console as second priority!"

I understand why it's happening, sure, but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable to watch. Love playing this game with brother with local Co-Op VS the online world, yet we're SOOO far behind, compared to PC version... :(

Patches cost $10000 each after the first one on PSN/XBLA and for a small 6 man company like Romino that is a crapload of money. You can't really fault them. The game works on consoles, thats all the matters, people ain't entitled to anything else. I'm not having a go at you specifically.

Nyx

I even stopped following them on facebook cause I can't stand all those PC updates. ;)

But luckily the console-version is still fun to play, clocked more than 120 hours atm.

This is genuinely the only MOBA type game where I didn't feel immediately overwhelmed. I enjoy the work this team did with Swords & Soldiers and I seriously enjoyed the console version of Awesomenauts for a VERY long time ... think it may be time for me to finally pick up the PC version of the game.

Nekobo

That's how I felt about Dungeon Defenders this past year; my group's enjoyment of the game diminished a bit when we realized how much content the PC version was getting. Of course it's easy to get both on PC, but I've always favored local co-op.

Duffyside

Banned
How many of the new characters besides Coco and Derpl have been released on console? I had no idea there were even characters after those two.

Doopliss

Is she playable, or is it just a reveal for now? I can't launch the game atm.
Out next week.

The patch notes from the Ronimo forums:

Patch 1.8
Release next week!

New Playable Character: Raelynn

Raelynn loves big guns. After highschool she went straight into the E.L.F. army to fight against the invading robots, just before the first AI war. She was trained by the best and excelled in long range weaponary. Within a year she was given the honor of joining an elite squad called the SkyCrows, where she met the love of her life: her Pulserifle "Cuddles". For years they did covert missions together as a team to disrupt robot production and steal robot technologies. They were feared by all robots (well...the ones with emo-chips). Until that one deep space mission to AI station 404 in the year 3009, where she ran into a robot ambush, and "Cuddles" was brutally taken away from her. Raelynn was put into cryostasis. Decades passed until a small mercenary team found her hidden on the planet. There she was rejoined with "Cuddles" and many warm 'hugs' were given that day to all robots on 404.

Abilities:

Snipe- Take aim and deal a powerful and very long shot, that pierces through enemies.
Time rift- Throw a deployable verticle rift that slows time.
Pulserifle - Raelynn fires her pulserifle ‘Cuddles’.
Jump - Normal human jump

patchnotes 1.8 not complete, rest will follow soon!

Patch 1.7.3
25-10-2012

-Added an image of Raelynn, the new character that will come soon.
-Sorona, Ribit IV and AI Station 404 have been given a spooky overhaul for Halloween!

Patch 1.7.2
18-10-2012

-Added a teaser for a little something...

I like the design, hopefully her voice won't be as annoying as Coco's.

Top Bottom