• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge |OT| Life's A Glitch

protonion

The final boss has insane exploits. Check youtube.

As for the bee I used Voranj. Just shoot diagonally from a safe distance. You'll get many hits. Switch to Kilver for the bees. He has low HP thankfully.

Chitown B

yeah, it's really annoying. I've been on the final boss for over a week and haven't managed to turn the game on since to get some health items. I'm just....not very motivated.

As I've said earlier in this thread, great game with some SERIOUS issues that almost ruined my enjoyment of everything else, which rarely ever happens. Pretty disappointing that one of I'll remember the frustration more than anything else for one of my most anticipated games this year.

just cheese him. There is a tried and true "glitch" sort of way. At least you'll finish it and see the ending.

illusionary

Well, after a little over 30 hours I've just platinumed the game. That was an absolutely *fantastic* experience, easily my GOTY so far - Tom Happ has brought us a masterpiece and deserves to be richly rewarded.

Fingers heavily crossed, but here's hoping for some sort of Metroid-related announcement at E3!

Menchi

You can one shot the bee if you glitch his baby bee spawns and then shoot them while his mouth is open. Fun way to kill him.

illusionary

You can one shot the bee if you glitch his baby bee spawns and then shoot them while his mouth is open. Fun way to kill him.

Yeah, that worked very nicely for my speedrun. It took a few attempts, but it's a very nice method when you can get it right.

Schlep

So in E Kur Mah, on the third room from the bottom (just under the arrow), I can't get into the third square from the bottom. Any help?

SerTapTap

I just used the flamethrower and ran sideways back and forth. Easy as cake, but kinda boring way to end the game to.

Flamethrower takes it down super easy without any particular dodging. My main problem with the final boss is that there's no real proper way to dodge it, reminds me of Ridley from Super Metroid but worse. Like I said earlier I'd love to see a more Mega Man style of boss fight next time with proper patterns and telegraphing. Some of the bosses seem designed in a way that you are simply expected to get hit.

Secret world here

Will add when I can...there's dozens of these, jeez. My theory is that only one will ever have a weapon per playthrough though, and it's the one in one of the 3 endgame areas (
E Kur Mah, Mar Uru or Edin
.)

So in E Kur Mah, on the third room from the bottom (just under the arrow), I can't get into the third square from the bottom. Any help?

I think you're referring to something you need a code to get in. If you have the passcode tool, glitch around in that room and the answer should become clear.

Straight spoilers:
Code is ISKART EHANZU, input it while in that room and you'll hear the Item Get sound and a passage will open below that square

KDR_11k

Just beat it, the ending felt like one of those Castlevania false endings, especially
with the way that all the notes make it sound like the Rusialki are possibly evil and how they're giant menacing war machines that you never end up fighting. I was expecting Athetos to have somewhat more morally ambiguous goals than just "For science!". But I guess no reveal ever lives up to the imagination of the audience...

There was mention here of better endings if you get more percentage, I had a post-credit sequence where Athetos said "you cannot escape your true self", does it get more elaborate than this?

The boss list in Tap Tap's guide makes it sound like no matter what there's no "inverted castle" here where the game continues past the "final" boss when you meet certain criteria.

A bit disappointing...

Also I agree with the criticisms about the game's annoying tendency to not place the "highest level" obstacle first, it'll happily give you an early game obstacle, a mid-game obstacle and after fighting a bunch of enemies and such you finally see the item... and need a late-game power to actually get it. Better would be to have the highest level needed up front so you don't end up going through a bunch of stuff before realizing it's still a dead end and you traveled the whole way to this spot for nothing.

Overall with so many complaints about the final boss and story conclusion does it seem like the ending was rushed?

Struct09

I completed the game last night. I feel that the annoying difficulty spike in the last chunk of the game left a stain on the experience, but overall I liked the game. Also a little too much backtracking for my tastes but the amazing soundtrack helped ease that pain. Definitely a game worth playing for those who enjoy Metroid-likes.

Just got this game last night and wanted to say that I'm enjoying it immensely a few hours in so far. The controls and movement feels super tight and the damage feedback feels very satisfying, a cool detail I always loved on old SNES games. Can't wait to play more tonight.

jimboton

Just finished with it, loved every minute. Imo Tom Happ gets it: this is the proper way to make a metroidvania with no silly hand holdy objective markers or ulockable abilities that show you where everything is on the map. Makes getting every weapon, lore bit and upgrade so much more rewarding. And so many unique, interesting and entirely viable weapons! Also a meaty game, played on hard and without guides felt at least on par with Super Metroid.

Only complaint is how the last couple of bosses felt designed to test your capacity to soak up damage more than anything else, they stand out compared to all the others that are so so good. Music was fantastic and the graphic style, that initially may have seemed a little too derivative of Metroid is really its own thing, very varied and at the same time consistent with the whole glitch theme.

I hope this does extremely well so we can see a bigger, badder pseudo 32 bit sequel somewhere down the line :)

Footos22

Started my speedrun last night after not playing it for a month cos of bloodborne. Finished it in just over 2 hours. 28% items and 56% map. 35 deaths cos of last boss and me getting unlucky Hardest bit was the last boss tbh. Just had to abuse dash and kliver and hope I got lucky with the health drops from the orbs as I only had the 4 guns.. Hard mode is the last trophy I need. Such a fantastic game. Def my goty after bloodborne.Enjoyed it more than ori.

SerTapTap

So has anyone found Scissor Beam or the big yellow laser? Still not sure what the deal is with those. Seems to have to do with secret worlds.

Footos22

Does anyone know how to get the journal in the second open area in Kur? On TapTaps map there's a journal there. No idea how. To get it. I've shot my drone to the far left if the area and it's just a wall.

http://postimg.org/image/ajzhg7881/

Think thats the one where you have to glitch the pincer thing in the wall on the other side and make him pop out to create a long row of block s you can walk across to the other side

SerTapTap

The code from the credits apparently makes you jump higher? (
axiojwmau568
) at least after getting the field disruptor.

Also, final boss AI is apparently going to be changed completely

Does anyone know how to get the journal in the second open area in Kur? On TapTaps map there's a journal there. No idea how. To get it. I've shot my drone to the far left if the area and it's just a wall.

http://postimg.org/image/ajzhg7881/

Oops, missed this, there's one of those wall scorpions you gotta glitch like Footos said

Z3M0G

Looking forward to retrying the final encounter after the AI change.

Also, are there alternate endings to the game? With higher completion % perhaps? If so I may return for sure. I'm not feeling the itch to replay from the beginning like I thought I might.

SerTapTap

Current theory is that the Scissor Beam and Fat Beam may be tied to save slot, so maybe games in slot 2 and 3 get those weapons in late-game secret worlds? Still don't know much about this yet.

That's nice, even if the final boss isn't as hard as people make it out to be, the patterns were silly,
requiring you to glitch back and forth if you wanted to do the boss without losing health

I mean they're not even really patterns. Especially with the first form you just have to constantly move and hope you don't get hit. Interested to see how it comes out. Love the game but boss design was definitely a weak point.

Looking forward to retrying the final encounter after the AI change.

Also, are there alternate endings to the game? With higher completion % perhaps? If so I may return for sure. I'm not feeling the itch to replay from the beginning like I thought I might.

Best I can tell there are only two, and an extra scene is only added, there's no real "alternate" so much as an incomplete ending if you have less than 80% items or so.

Man, I find this game really hard. Went back to it earlier and there are so many enemies in each area, getting health back is pretty rare and they just kick the shit out of me. I've just got the grapple, I found the giant snail-tram shortcut thing and I'm trying to work out where I need to go now. Nothing is obvious so I've just gone back to earlier areas to see where's next.

SerTapTap

Man, I find this game really hard. Went back to it earlier and there are so many enemies in each area, getting health back is pretty rare and they just kick the shit out of me. I've just got the grapple, I found the giant snail-tram shortcut thing and I'm trying to work out where I need to go now. Nothing is obvious so I've just gone back to earlier areas to see where's next.

You didn't start it on hard mode did you? Between all the save eggs health shouldn't be a huge deal, though yeah you want to not get hit in general. The item you've found will lead you somewhere for sure. Also the
drone
can help you scout/attack enemies without taking real damage in some cases. Don't forget to glitch enemies too, some of the most annoying/painful enemies turn near-harmless after being glitched.

When in doubt, look to the map for incomplete map areas instead of looking blindly through areas you've been through. There's always doors you didn't open or rooms you couldn't reach the end of.

More direct spoilers:
Top right exit of Eribu

Thanks; I think I'm in Eribu so I'll check that out tonight. I honestly don't know if I started on Hard, but I may have done as I've been struggling since the beginning. I could just be shite at it though. It's been years since I played a proper Metroidvania. The last one was probably Metroid Fusion about 6 or 7 years ago, but I'm not even sure if really count that as it was so slight.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Just finished PC version:

WIM1UD1.jpg

tSAGF9J.jpg

I have explored the whole map and found all the items in it. Although.... I did not get the pink and yellow dot in Edin world which I have fully explored. I don't even know where I could have missed something, I have searched every pixel in there and found every item.

SnNGQAE.jpg

jacobeid

Banned
just cheese him. There is a tried and true "glitch" sort of way. At least you'll finish it and see the ending.

As I mentioned above, it wasn't a matter of difficulty, it was a matter of motivation. I got to the save point directly before the final boss, saved, and went to bed (it was late). I just didn't feel like turning it back on for a few weeks.

Same thing happened to me with Rage. I got to the final mission, turned it off and never finished it.

I did end up Axiom Verge though.

SerTapTap

Thanks; I think I'm in Eribu so I'll check that out tonight. I honestly don't know if I started on Hard, but I may have done as I've been struggling since the beginning. I could just be shite at it though. It's been years since I played a proper Metroidvania. The last one was probably Metroid Fusion about 6 or 7 years ago, but I'm not even sure if really count that as it was so slight.

The game isn't super hard on normal (a few bosses can be rough) at least IMO, I'm pretty good at these games and this game in particular. Hard is occasionally very hard, certain enemies in Edin in particular force you to move very carefully.

Just finished PC version:

I have explored the whole map and found all the items in it. Although.... I did not get the pink and yellow dot in Edin world which I have fully explored. I don't even know where I could have missed something in there, I have searched every pixel in there and found every item.

The map's walls are occasionally lies (the game teaches you this fairly early, though I think it's possible to not notice). There's Maps in my guide, though I can already tell you're missing
something above the 2x4 room in the very middle
, common thing to miss.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The map's walls are occasionally lies (the game teaches you this fairly early, though I think it's possible to not notice). There's Maps in my guide, though I can already tell you're missing
something above the 2x4 room in the very middle
, common thing to miss.
I have collected all notes in the game (got the achievement) including the one you have mentioned in 2x4 room. But I did not unlocked 100% of all health nodes achievement, so I guess I'm missing one health node in Edin and I'm not sure if I have collected the one in 2x4 room. Do you know where it is exactly (in which spot)? I already tried everything there but still did not found it.

Z3M0G

Current theory is that the Scissor Beam and Fat Beam may be tied to save slot, so maybe games in slot 2 and 3 get those weapons in late-game secret worlds? Still don't know much about this yet.

I mean they're not even really patterns. Especially with the first form you just have to constantly move and hope you don't get hit. Interested to see how it comes out. Love the game but boss design was definitely a weak point.

Best I can tell there are only two, and an extra scene is only added, there's no real "alternate" so much as an incomplete ending if you have less than 80% items or so.

Thanks!! I may need to get back to this soon then!

SerTapTap

Research on the scissor beam is making it look like it's pretty much random. I still haven't found more than one person claiming to have the fat beam so I don't know what it's deal is either.

I have collected all notes in the game (got the achievement) including the one you have mentioned in 2x4 room. But I did not unlocked 100% of all health nodes achievement, so I guess I'm missing one health node in Edin and I'm not sure if I have collected the one in 2x4 room. Do you know where it is exactly (in which spot)? I already tried everything there but still did not found it.

You didn't get the hint, heh.
The 2x4 room is actually a 2x5 room. Find a way up

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
You didn't get the hint, heh.
The 2x4 room is actually a 2x5 room. Find a way up
I'm exploring this 2x5 room which is in the middle right now.
Where can I find missing health node there? At which spot exactly? I know it's right before the exit to the next room but I already have tried everything and there is no hidden wall there or something....

SerTapTap

I'm exploring this 2x5 room which is in the middle right now.
Where can I find missing health node there? At which spot exactly? I know it's right before the exit to the next room but I already have tried everything and there is no hidden wall there or something....

Start from the door that leads you toward the aborted clone boss fight. Grapple left, then teledash up into the "cage" (where the tiles look different). You can also shoot the drone up and over after overshooting the overhang but this is riskier.

Footos22

Platinum get. Last boss on hard when you ain't really done much exploring is just fucking luck based. In the end I did the exploit. By standing in top right corner of the room. And just spamming the normal gun to the weak point. don't care. That was a terribly designed boss. He was easy on normal with a flamethrower.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Start from the door that leads you toward the aborted clone boss fight. Grapple left, then teledash up into the "cage" (where the tiles look different). You can also shoot the drone up and over after overshooting the overhang but this is riskier.
AHA! (^__^)

I should have figured out that I need to use grapple in there to go across the ceiling and climb on the top.

Update:

Completed the game at 100%.

d95LrQf.jpg

All that's left now is to write the review :)

SerTapTap

Platinum get. Last boss on hard when you ain't really done much exploring is just fucking luck based. In the end I did the exploit. By standing in top right corner of the room. And just spamming the normal gun to the weak point. don't care. That was a terribly designed boss. He was easy on normal with a flamethrower.

Yeah, glad they'll be changing it entirely. Actually an early bug with the boss (before release)
made it's core AI not do anything if you didn't shoot it, it was actually kind of a better boss when 1 of 3 parts weren't shooting at you. It's not completely terrible if you have lots of upgrades, but it's still at best a DPS race. Flamethrower makes it a joke as well.

I still need to get the platinum but I'm trying to limit how much I replay games when I have so many new ones to get to.

EDIT: Fat Beam discovered! It might be hard mode only. OMG the sound it makes <3

Do you ever get a tool that shows you blocks that have items you're missing?

Zero Mission had a little dot on blocks that had an item or upgrade, and I thought that was really cool.

Finished it last night, was really fun but occasionally, the bosses were a pain, the bees boss was such a pain in the ass, lol. Some of the glitches, intentional or not were really fun to exploit, especially on the first boss
probably nothing new, but I took advantage of the fact the temporary invincibility after being hit and just run through him and just shot away since he never turns around

Footos22

Finished it last night, was really fun but occasionally, the bosses were a pain, the bees boss was such a pain in the ass, lol. Some of the glitches, intentional or not were really fun to exploit, especially on the first boss
probably nothing new, but I took advantage of the fact the temporary invincibility after being hit and just run through him and just shot away since he never turns around

The hornet boss was pretty easy when you know what to do.
his little buddies you can turn into explosive balls of death which can get him from normal to red in one well timed blast.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
It's not out on Steam as far as I can see. Did you get it early or is there somewhere I'm missing that it's available?
Yep, I got it early (almost 2 weeks ago) :)

Also, I know this is not the place for it, but I just can't stand seeing so few posts in the Environmental Station Alpha thread, so if any of you AV fans are hungry for more after AV, you know where to look:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1033810
WOW! I didn't knew about this game, but If it's as good as AV then I will buy it right now.

wrowa

I actually liked all of the bosses with the exception of the last one. They always had a cool flow to it. At times, they felt like playing a bullet hell shooter where you need to find the rhythm to carefully dodge the enemy attacks and find the right openings for a counter attack. I really liked that.

The last boss was stupid, though. It's easy enough to make the encounter absolutely trivial, but it's just not a good designed fight.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
It's not, but it's much better than the amount of replies in the thread indicates.
Well, Environmental Station Alpha costs almost nothing in my country so it's almost a sin not to buy it at this price, I just need to add funds to my wallet and I'm good to go (^_^)

P.S. There's also Xeodrifter - http://store.steampowered.com/app/319140 The game has some weird ideas in terms of controlls (double jump for example) but other than that... very cool game :)

SerTapTap

So it's sounding like the Scissor Beam and Fat Beam are tied to Hard Mode, and it's possible you have to be fast to get the Fat Beam.

Guess I'm not going for 100% then! I had 96% of the map and 78% of the items at the end. That's good enough for me.

You can use the maps on my site, doesn't really take too long (probably less time than using the infernal X ray in Super, actually)

I actually liked all of the bosses with the exception of the last one. They always had a cool flow to it. At times, they felt like playing a bullet hell shooter where you need to find the rhythm to carefully dodge the enemy attacks and find the right openings for a counter attack. I really liked that.

The last boss was stupid, though. It's easy enough to make the encounter absolutely trivial, but it's just not a good designed fight.

The bosses almost all have a good IDEA to them, but after the 3rd boss I feel like the flow of combat is way too uneven. Ideally combat should flow something more like a Mega Man boss to me--you learn the attacks, you dodge, you attack in the lull. After boss 3 there's a lot of times when you're just spamming shots, hoping the boss doesn't do it's more annoying, all but undodgeable pattern, annoying stuff like that.

Will be all over it and the new Shantae, http://store.steampowered.com/app/345820/, after I'm done with ESA post game content. Such a good time to be a Metroidvania fan :)

Ehhh it's more of a Metroidvania-lite, sort of like Mega Man Zero 1/ZX 1&2 if you've played them. There are minor elements of Metroidvania in that you get upgrades that let you explore areas, but level progression is almost strictly linear, no interconnection between worlds. Risky's Revenge was much more Metroidvania (and honestly, it didn't work out all that well)

Top Bottom