• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge |OT| Life's A Glitch

KarmaCow

I was kinda worried when I saw the <4hr achievement because that's a long "speedrun" but it turns out the game is much shorter going for the essential items. Did it kinda accidently doing a hard more run which was neat. I'm going to try for the low percent run and even that doesn't seem to be much of a restraint since most of the weapons are superfluous. The most annoying thing might be those drones in the final area that just spam bullets and not having the health/damage to deal with them.

Also has there been any kind of sequence breaks or speed tech found? I noticed the infinite height drone launch but I haven't found any good spots for it other than one section in the final area. Happ seems to be constantly updating the game so at the very least he's ignoring that one exploit which is cool even if isn't immediately useful.

SerTapTap

I was kinda worried when I saw the <4hr achievement because that's a long "speedrun" but it turns out the game is much shorter going for the essential items. Did it kinda accidently doing a hard more run which was neat. I'm going to try for the low percent run and even that doesn't seem to be much of a restraint since most of the weapons are superfluous. The most annoying thing might be those drones in the final area that just spam bullets and not having the health/damage to deal with them.

Also has there been any kind of sequence breaks or speed tech found? I noticed the infinite height drone launch but I haven't found any good spots for it other than one section in the final area. Happ seems to be constantly updating the game so at the very least he's ignoring that one exploit which is cool even if isn't immediately useful.

The 4 hour speedrun had me a bit worried but nah it's just deliberately forgiving, as is the low% achievement. If you beat the game in normal and hard you should have no problem getting both achievements in speedrun mode just by kind of knowing the route, only picking up the "big" node upgrades and a few relevant optional weapons (flamethrower makes the last boss cake). Just know that the timer ticks even if the game is paused or at the PS4 homescreen.

The biggest sequence break is simply due to save warping, and save warping in general can save a ton of time. The big break is
using a save egg to get back to Eribu without the grapple to go straight into Ukkin Na
. This is in fact the only sequence break, other than the cheat code which also allows you to perform the exact same sequence break. There are minor breaks you can perform with the jump cheat, infinite climb or shooting drone through walls (I think the last one is intended) but it's just to get a few nodes or weapons.

If you want to see speedruns check out Synophis, here's the current world record to the best of my knowledge (spoilers, obviously). Synophis runs multiple categories lately too so you can see hard mode, low%, warpless etc.

KarmaCow

I used the save trick a couple times just to skip by annoying enemies but I was never confident enough to keep it at Eribu. Skipping that
scorpion boss would be have been nice though, even with the quick kill it can be annoying
. But yea, was hoping for more significant breaks or alternate paths but with how critical each abilities are it might be too much to ask.

Guessing it came out too late for SGDQ? I hope it makes it in for AGDQ at least.

Kaiterra

Banned
These laser drones in Mar-Uru have driven me to the end of my rope. I'm so sick of how it takes so many hits to kill everything in this game.

Edit: God Moded my way through that last shaft and the final boss. Seeing what the final boss is makes me feel not bad about it at all.

SerTapTap

These laser drones in Mar-Uru have driven me to the end of my rope. I'm so sick of how it takes so many hits to kill everything in this game.

Edit: God Moded my way through that last shaft and the final boss. Seeing what the final boss is makes me feel not bad about it at all.

Just glitch them. If you haven't been glitching enemies as you go a long you probably thought a lot of things were harder than they were supposed to be. In fact by the time you reach that area you barely need to shoot anything that isn't a boss, just dash, glitch and drone your way past everything.

I used the save trick a couple times just to skip by annoying enemies but I was never confident enough to keep it at Eribu. Skipping that
scorpion boss would be have been nice though, even with the quick kill it can be annoying
. But yea, was hoping for more significant breaks or alternate paths but with how critical each abilities are it might be too much to ask.

Guessing it came out too late for SGDQ? I hope it makes it in for AGDQ at least.

Yeah way too late for SGDQ, AGDQ would be great though.

Has a release date been announced for the VITA?

May have to cave into the PC version.

I'd like to know too. I have been looking around and I couldn't get a more definite date other than, "2015." Does anyone have a more narrow time frame? I really want to play this on my vita.

AsfaeksBR

Has a release date been announced for the VITA?

May have to cave into the PC version.

I'd like to know too. I have been looking around and I couldn't get a more definite date other than, "2015." Does anyone have a more narrow time frame? I really want to play this on my vita.

Devs said on their AMA that they're just waiting Sony to finish porting the engine to the Vita, and then they'll start working on it. Simply put, 2015 is the only solid date they can give.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
bought this as a present for myself to celebrate finishing finals, loving pretty much everything about it so far
currently exploring around for new areas after getting the glitch bomb thing

if i had to think up some negatives, i'm really not a fan of pass-code systems in games so that's a hassle, the soundtrack is usually pretty awesome but it can be a little grating when you're stuck and looking around for what to do next, the pixel art ranges from absolutely incredible to surprisingly dull
the zombie-type enemies in particular.... when you compare them with the detail put into the robot faces it's almost like 2 different games
buuuut those nitpicks aside this is one hell of a game, and it's scratching the metroidvania itch like nothing else in recent times has.

VARIA

I'm getting spotty performance on an i5 with 4GB ram.

Choppy scrolling sections or if action gets intense it will chug. Didn't think I would need a fancy rig to enjoy this (what appeared to be) simple 2D shooter. It's also the only application that is running.

I did try switching the graphics/video option to 1 and the difference was not noticeable.

Ah well, I can manage.

:-/

EDIT: Windowed mode helps and for a bump in fullscreen performance, playing offline helps as well.

pa22word

Playing this with lightboost at 120hz is like something out of a dream.

All I need is some scan lines and it'll be just like playing super metroid on a crt back in the day :D

georly

Finally beat it today, loved it, but I feel like the internet hyped it up a bit too much for me. Still no super metroid, but It's pretty good.

Anyone have a good explanation of the story through the game? I feel like even after I beat it I still don't quite understand everything.
I think I even got the extra ending? Where old you shoots you in the end? *shrug*

Im missing one or two weapons I think, but I managed to get like 85% item completion and 98% map completion without using a guide of any kind. I'm glad each map tells you if you 100%ed it with the dots (purple is map, yellow is item).

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
The dots appear once you've got everything.

yepppp found that out later, i hadn't quite discovered everything in any area at that point

beat the game with 99% area and 97% items
with no maps or walkthroughs or anything - so proud~
in 27 hours, loved pretty much every moment of it, this was a such a steal at only 20$ when it's the most fun i've had in a game for the past year or so, easily shoots to the top of my potential goty list

SerTapTap

Finally beat it today, loved it, but I feel like the internet hyped it up a bit too much for me. Still no super metroid, but It's pretty good.

Anyone have a good explanation of the story through the game? I feel like even after I beat it I still don't quite understand everything.
I think I even got the extra ending? Where old you shoots you in the end? *shrug*

Im missing one or two weapons I think, but I managed to get like 85% item completion and 98% map completion without using a guide of any kind. I'm glad each map tells you if you 100%ed it with the dots (purple is map, yellow is item).

I think we're going to need the second game to really start to know too much. I was thinking of diving into it but there's a lot of loose ends and for now I like to imagine there's a lot more to it. I kind of like that world building over storytelling focus.

Though I'll say one thing about the story
It appears time travel is involved, and that clones can leave Sudra, assuming you really are in the real world at the end. One of the notes says that Atheos first appeared centuries ago (or was in millenia) and IIRC there were implications that he's come around multiple times. It seems possible Trace is just stuck in a cycle but I'm sure there either is more to it than that or the second game will add more to the story. Ending is definitely a cliffhanger.

Also if you read the notes, the Rusalki are pretty fucking suspicious. I was expecting an option/forced story point where Trace "betrays" them or vice versa (or maybe they did betray him).

Dylan

Just beat this game. An outstanding accomplishment.

Tom Happ has single handedly recreated the feeling of a 16-bit classic in a way that large studios like Nintendo can't seem to figure out. Congrats Tom.

As for the story, I thought it was great. Here's a pretty good take on what's going on in this game.

It would be cool to see someone draw out all the clues on a timeline, like a few people did after Bioshock Infinite.

Anyway, I think AV is definitely one of the best games to come out in the last 5 years. Great stuff.

Sorry if this has been asked but I am hoping to get some help from GAF. Really liking the game but the past few hours of playing have been VERY frustrating because I can't figure out what to do next.

I have 70% of the map unveiled and 55% of items. I am missing the red trench coat, Address Bomb, and Drone Teleport (and a lot of weapons). I have pretty much diagnosed after running around the map last night that the areas I can't access currently I need one or all of those items to do so. based on what I have read, I need the Drone teleport to get the Red Trench Coat and I need the Address bomb to get the Drone Teleport. From what I can see the Address Bomb is blocked on both sides by the Green Glitch Blob which is destroyed by the Address bomb (Am I right or wrong here?) So I have no clue how to go about doing this. I am playing on hard and am past he 19hr mark if that gives you an idea of how much back tracking and exploring I have done looking for these items.

Help me GAF.....you are my only hope!

EDIT!!!!
I found my way to the address bomb!! didn't think about grappling hook then teleporting through the ledge to get to the save room right before the clone "fight". thought I had to shoot my drone then teleport. Ok we are back on track now!

I just beat it! and other than realizing playing on Hard for my first play through greatly tainted my experience
The last boss fight and the last sequence of enemies are just down right awful on hard.
I feel good that I beat the game on hard and overall it one of the best Metroidvania games I have played....would have liked it a ton more if I played on Normal though.

STATS
Difficulty: HARD
Time: 26hrs 7mins 10secs
Items: 76%
Map: 95%
Death Count: 181

pa22word

I guess on steam?

Edit: guess so. Says controller recommended but otherwise could this be played on keyboard? What are the necessary controls?

It works fine on a keyboard.

Fully remappable controls, and even has improved weapon hotkey configuration over a controller so you can quickswap between all of the weapons vs just two of them on a controller.

The only thing that I can think of that gets "compromised" is that the drill uses the analog function on the triggers of pads that obviously gets lost in transition to a digital keyboard, but I really can't think of a single moment I ever made usage of it vs a full press of the trigger.

SerTapTap

I strongly recommend a gamepad as well but yeah you can complete the game on Keyboard.

Someone's found the secret to some of the passcodes, including setting gravity arbitrarily!

I've been working on reverse-engineering the passcode system. First off, good news: You've already got all room-specific passcodes in the game in your guide.

There's 9216 different valid AXIO-passcodes (plus one special one). Wait now, hear me out. The AXIO-passcode system works by munging the passcodes into numbers. The game has 18 built-in cheat templates, only one of which we knew up to now (the one in JWMAU568). The lowest 9 bits of this number describe the strength of the effect. So 18 templates times 2^9 equals the 9216 possible codes. AXIOJWMAU568 sets Trace's gravity to 0.203. If we choose the parameter ourselves, stick it to one of the templates and reverse the passcode-to-number process, we can generate these cheat codes. I'm working on that.

My work here isn't done yet, but just to show that I'm for real: AXIOJYTSLSXC sets Trace's gravity to 0.06, resulting in ridiculously high jumps. Oh, also you're missing a couple of regular codes:
CUTSCENEXXXX (play a cutscene, e.g. CUTSCENE0010)
TRACKXXXXXXX (change music in current room to track X, e.g. TRACK00000010)
AXIOAAOETYZA (I have no idea what it does, but this one is special and not like the other AXIO-codes)

Have fun!

Man I am trying to get these yellow dots and I am stumped. I've definitely got everything on the Eribu map and it still says I'm missing something. Already have map complete (purple dot) on every area but the last too. Not sure how to spot anything besides just rubbing up slowly against every wall in the section.

SerTapTap

Man I am trying to get these yellow dots and I am stumped. I've definitely got everything on the Eribu map and it still says I'm missing something. Already have map complete (purple dot) on every area but the last too. Not sure how to spot anything besides just rubbing up slowly against every wall in the section.

Last resort you can always check out My Map in all of it's item location spoiler glory, if you're missing map pieces in Eribu and not just items...hooo boy, there is major stuff there.

If you want as little spoiling as possible, this will get you started:
finish up Mar Uru before trying to clean up Eribu
. A second hint:
Isn't there an odd asymmetry in the lower half of Mar Uru's map?
. You're going to need to be VERY attentive if you're stuck on what I think you are, I was too. They're some of the most unusual solutions and go well beyond "drill the walls". Not everything can be solved from within the room...

test_account

XP-39C²
Can anyone tell me what i'm missing here?

http://i.imgur.com/ivtfly2.jpg

Looking at SirTapTap's great map, i cant see which part of the map that i'm missing there in Edin, yet i havnt gotten the purple dot. I'm also positive that i've collected every item there as well. The same goes for in Indi, yet i have no yellow dot there (although i do have the purple dot there).

Also, how do you collect the note that is furtherst to the left in Kur (its in the same room as the beam weapon)? Either it was floating in mid air and i already collected it, or its inside the wall there somehow, which i dont understand how to get to.

EDIT: I also have the same issue in Eribu. Got the purple dot, looked at the item map and went to all of those locations, yet i dont have a yellow dot on that map.

EDIT 2: Seems that i was simply overlooking something in Kur and Indi. I now managed to get both the purple and yellow dots in those areas. I still have the problem with Eribu and Edin though. I went through every single map square again in Edin, but it didnt unlock anything. Sadly, i think that the game bugged out on my playthrough, and now i'm stuck at 98% item collected and 99% map discovered :\

test_account

XP-39C²
Can anyone tell me what i'm missing here?
Quoting myself here because i noticed what i was missing now. It was all my fault. I was missing two squares on Edin. I missed those because there is a line on the map that indicates a wall, so i didnt think it was possible to get higher up there. I have no idea how i missed it on SirTapTap's map though, they are clearly shown there.

I also found out what i was missing in Eribu. I was missing an item in a long hallway. I also dont know how i missed this when asking earlier. Its not that hard to get it.

I kinda feel like a "noob" now hehe. Thinking the game had glitched on me, and also being positive that i've looked everywhere, yet that wasnt the case :) I noticed these things after following a 100% speedrun. Once i saw those two items in the video, i was thinking that i might have missed those, and that was indeed the case.

SerTapTap

I missed those because there is a line on the map that indicates a wall, so i didnt think it was possible to get higher up there..

There are more than a couple areas like this in the game, the one you got stuck on seems to be a common one though. The game actually deliberately teaches you that map/scrolling walls are lines, but it's pretty early and probably pretty possible to miss it. It's all way way back in Abzu, a "wall" you just drill through, even though the camera and map pretend it's the end of the road. It's a very suspicious wall though and if you wait long enough you can see enemy attack particles from beyond the wall. Thought it was a neat little teaching tool, but it's probably too subtle/distant from when you actually need to know it. There's also a room in Zi above a fake ceiling and a few others here and there.

JimmyJones

Banned
Bought this game a few days ago and it's AMAZING! I can't believe I only discovered it last week. If you're a Metroidvania fan you have to buy this.

I got stuck at 96% items, 99% map.
Missing both dots on Eribu
can see a flame weapon on top of a room but no clue how to get to it
and Mar-Uru. Guessing I need a password(s)... my only question is if I can find it in game or is something you need to deduce?

Also how many glitch worlds are there? I've found 3.

SerTapTap

I got stuck at 96% items, 99% map.
Missing both dots on Eribu
can see a flame weapon on top of a room but no clue how to get to it
and Mar-Uru. Guessing I need a password(s)... my only question is if I can find it in game or is something you need to deduce?

Also how many glitch worlds are there? I've found 3.

take a peek at my guide, you're probably missing a few items in Eribu like I was, there are 3 passwords you need there. They're marked on the "full map" on the guide. If you want less spoilers, look at the map with no item locations just to see the map bits you're missing and figure out how to get there yourself. Remember there are false walls on the map.

Everything is in game. A couple of hints:
two of the passwords are very close to where you use them, for one, you need to finish Mar Uru. Look at the shape of Eribu in the zoomed out map and the zoomed in map. Aren't you missing some sections? Be observant.

I've heard of people finding up to 5 glitch worlds I think. The only one that REALLY matters is the one that's in one of the last 3 areas (E Kur Mah, Edin or Mar Uru) as it has a gun.

I finished the game at around 70% items and 93% map. Quite happy with it for now, but I'll probably go back at some point and look for more. I never got the ability to dash through four blocks (if that's possible) or a weapon that shoots through walls.

One of the best games of the year so far. Next up I'll try to get on with Ori and see if that will ultimately be better.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is it really easy to get lost and stuck in this? Because after getting the 2nd level disruptor and the drone, I'm just completely stuck. Then I realized I can toss the drone higher than I can jump, bit those were dead ends too.

There's a chamber on the right side of Kur behind a disruptor field, but it looks like a double jump is the only way up. What is my path here....?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I found things out, I just had to mention though that this game is so beautifully crafted. It feels amazing to play and it's got so many interesting ideas. Playing around with 8-bit glitchiness was a great idea.

SerTapTap

Is it really easy to get lost and stuck in this? Because after getting the 2nd level disruptor and the drone, I'm just completely stuck. Then I realized I can toss the drone higher than I can jump, bit those were dead ends too.

There's a chamber on the right side of Kur behind a disruptor field, but it looks like a double jump is the only way up. What is my path here....?

Heheheh. You'll see. One of my favorite parts of the game is how it subverts seemingly obvious upgrade paths, for instance (significant upgrade spoilers)
the drone instead of a more direct "morph ball" equivalent, giving you everything BUT a double jump to get higher

And yeah the area in Kur seems to be a common stumbling point, sounds like you found your way out. Just explore thoroughly and think about how to use your new tools. Secrets excepted, there should almost always be an obvious "unexplored" spot on your map (there ARE fake walls but aside from one the game teaches you with early on they're usually only for secrets).

Is a vita version still coming?

Never heard of it being canceled at least. Last I heard Sony was porting Monogame to Vita. They were clear it would be months not weeks after the release. It's worth the wait IMO though I'd recommend just playing it on PS4 or PC if it's an option (play with a controller on PC or wait for Vita though, I wouldn't want to play on keyboard)

mattiewheels

I'm having a weird brain fart here, on E Kur Mah there's one little black square I can't get to that's keeping me from 100%ing the maps. It's on the bottom left of the long chamber near the bottom, and I can't find a way through the wall. Anyone know that trick?

SerTapTap

I'm having a weird brain fart here, on E Kur Mah there's one little black square I can't get to that's keeping me from 100%ing the maps. It's on the bottom left of the long chamber near the bottom, and I can't find a way through the wall. Anyone know that trick?

You need to use a
passcode
to get in there.
Glitch one of the nearby enemies in that same room and you should figure it out.

mattiewheels

You need to use a
passcode
to get in there.
Glitch one of the nearby enemies in that same room and you should figure it out.
That was it, pretty obscure.

But I don't think I'll get that 100% map though, there's one square on one map I find impossible, it's the top of Ukkin Na, where originally there was the transport that drove your drone up to the top area, now replaced with a giant and no way to reach the upper left square. Are there tactics for blasting up to the tops of high rooms beyond shooting drones straight up?

Edit: whoa, never mind. Found the right side ledge, got it!

SerTapTap

It's by far the most obvious of the password ones IMO. I think some people get mixed up because they don't bother to glitch enemies. Proper way to play the game IMO is glitch every new enemy as soon as you can to see what they do. So you should have seen a very strong hint very early in that same room.

There's a couple other secrets hiding in glitched enemies, like
the worms that turn into a health pickup the first time you glitch them, and the scorpion guys that turn into walkways

And yeah, I thought I was doomed in that room because of losing that robot but the dev's smarter than that, the robot is only removed once you have the tools to get up there yourself. Though I think it might require the
enhanced drone launch
which I believe is optional.

There's a path in KUR that requires the
drone transportation
ability (which was the last big thing I got) to get to. There are some flying enemies you can turn into platforms above a pool of pink liquid. I made my way up to the area up and to the left, but I couldn't find anything there. If there actually is nothing there, is it some place I'll have to return to?

Instro

Bought the game during the steam sale and finished it up today. It really feels like a love letter to the original Metroid. The random breach areas as a nod to the hidden worlds from Metroid was really neat. I have some other thoughts on the game in general that I'll put together in a post at some point, but regardless I had a blast with Axiom Verge. Looking forward to what Happ does with a sequel.

There's some high areas I need to get to that show that not even the
double jump + drone toss
abilities are enough. Is there something I'm missing. A drone upgrade, maybe?

Top Bottom