• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baby Driver is the best action film of 2017

zoukka

It is. Wick 2 was just too numbing at times. Baby Driver had proper pacing and really cool shots and of course the incredible soundtrack (of the year).

He purposely rammed the getaway truck into the other truck driven by the vigilante citizen?

He purposely rammed his just-boosted car into the back of another car in a car park?

You do realize he didn't have the music during that latter scene right? His skills were all out of wack without it.

Also this is still my favorite movie of 2017, let alone action movie. So damn fun to watch

Finally got to watch this, after hearing how amazing it was I went in with high expectations and I have to say, even though I liked it, I don't quite get the high praise this films action scenes get.

I didn't find any of the action scenes very impressive or memorable, personally If I had to just compare it to action movies released only this year, I don't think it even comes close to touching John Wick 2 (from an action perspective)

Like I said before I still think it's a good movie, I enjoyed it, I just thought all the car chase action scenes that were hyped up to be amazing were nothing special.

Jackpot

Banned
You do realize he didn't have the music during that latter scene right? His skills were all out of wack without it.

He hit a stationary car in a car park. He's shown to be able to drive like a normal person without music. And it doesn't explain the former crash.

robotrock

Banned
He hit a stationary car in a car park. He's shown to be able to drive like a normal person without music. And it doesn't explain the former crash.

He's in a situation that's way more stressful to him than usual, and he's out of his element. Do you need the movie to explain this to you verbally or something?

Glass Rebel

Don't remember if I posted in this thread or a different one so...

It was a finely crafted movie that sadly blows its load in the first act. There's some cool moments but nothing quite reaches the heights of the first getaway, Baby getting coffee up to planning the next one. It also didn't help that the fairytale-like romance subplot wasn't done convincingly.

All in all an extremely well-made movie that shows Wright's expertise and growth as a director but just failed to resonate with me on a deeper level.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Yeah I found this movie pretty generic. It was hyped to 1000 so I guess I expected more. The directing was pretty subdued and I didn't think the music choices were great either.

They really push too hard on 'no greenscreeen' as if that means 'everything is real'. CGI is just one of many effects you can use.

https://youtu.be/3gIcR78mmrM?t=53

Here the '180 in, 180 out' scene is described as being completely real with no trickery. But if you watch it there is clearly a cut to the people in the car to hide that in and out are different shots. Or the worst editor in the world worked on this.

ViciousDS

Banned
Can't be the best action movie when half of the entire movie is downtime.

It was a good movie but that ending and love relationship was terrible. That ending almost ruined the entire movie for me.

The best sequence was also the first 15 minutes of the movie, all other scenes were dull in comparison.

John wick 2 absolutely destroyed this movie as best action

Jofamo

I need a world-class getaway driver to be able to navigate a car park.

He's rattled. He just seen that Bats and his crew had shot and killed one of the guards. Also the vigilante deliberately got in the way of his car to try and stop him - something he was not expecting to happen.

Just_one

i saw the trailers for this when i went to see wonder woman awhile ago and to be honest i really thought it was just another popcorn cars driving blockbuster like fast and furious , not to mention there a guy named baby and drives flawless with a freakin pair of headphones on... LOL

eso76

I totally thought the vigilante car he rammed into was intentional to slow him down.
Might be wrong.

Overall, there was not a lot of action and car chases are more stylish than spectacular, and overall not even a huge part of the film, so I understand people in disagreement with the "best action".
It is however, the action movie with the finest direction.
As in, action movies are generally not known to be crafted with such inventive and remarkable use of the language and movie grammar, so while there might have been action movies with better action, I'm pretty sure there have been none this year with a comparable understanding of the art of movie making.

eso76

Well, fortunately there's a lot of competent opinions out there of people who wouldn't put this and fast and furious in the same breath.
Or line.
Or page.

nynt9

Baby Driver was bad.

And I love Edgar Wright. His first misfire imo.

I wouldn't go that far, but it wasn't great. His worst movie for sure. Bad pacing, lacking his visual flair after the first few setpieces, too long, week main character and love interest.

Razorback

I was also hugely disappointed with this movie.

Here are my impressions from the OT thread:

Very disappointed but I guess the blame's on me. For years I hoped for an action musical. It just seems like an obviously great idea and when I heard that Edgar Wright was making just that my expectations went through the roof.

It just felt like it kept building towards something but there was never any payoff. A song would start and the moment it felt like it was going to get going it would fizzle out. There wasn't anything super impressive about the stunts either. I was hoping from the tongue in cheek premise that it wasn't going to take itself so seriously. I was expecting some Tarantino style celebration of cinematic spectacle. There was something off about the casting of the main character. The kid just wasn't as cool as the movie wanted me to think he was.

Song choice was also a problem for me, but this is getting into super subjective territory. It's hard to judge the effectiveness of music given how wildly variant people's tastes are. Unfortunately very little of it worked for me. The tone felt off, everything was very upbeat but the visuals and subject matter were asking for something with more punch.

The climax with the queen song finally felt like things were going to get real, but once more, it went limp before leaving me satisfied.

Not a bad movie, just a disappointing experience given my expectations.

The Cowboy

I loved the 1st half of the movie.

The very start and even the 2nd robbery (whilst not as good as the 1st) was really good, however once we got to the start of the 3rd robbery and Jamie Foxx just started killing everyone is got boring/bad really fast.

It went from a very interesting movie to a very generic action movie, it was such a shame.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
I was also hugely disappointed with this movie.

Here are my impressions from the OT thread:

Very disappointed but I guess the blame's on me. For years I hoped for an action musical. It just seems like an obviously great idea and when I heard that Edgar Wright was making just that my expectations went through the roof.

It just felt like it kept building towards something but there was never any payoff. A song would start and the moment it felt like it was going to get going it would fizzle out. There wasn't anything super impressive about the stunts either. I was hoping from the tongue in cheek premise that it wasn't going to take itself so seriously. I was expecting some Tarantino style celebration of cinematic spectacle. There was something off about the casting of the main character. The kid just wasn't as cool as the movie wanted me to think he was.

Song choice was also a problem for me, but this is getting into super subjective territory. It's hard to judge the effectiveness of music given how wildly variant people's tastes are. Unfortunately very little of it worked for me. The tone felt off, everything was very upbeat but the visuals and subject matter were asking for something with more punch.

The climax with the queen song finally felt like things were going to get real, but once more, it went limp before leaving me satisfied.

Not a bad movie, just a disappointing experience given my expectations.

I'm totally with you about the music. Didn't do anything for me, and didn't seem to evoke any sense of excitement.

brau

I'm totally with you about the music. Didn't do anything for me, and didn't seem to evoke any sense of excitement.

Agreed.

Usually, i am very happy with his soundtracks from previous movies.

Tons of things I did like about Baby, but at the end of it I didn't feel the same sense of satisfaction I got from watching Hot Fuzz or any of his other movies. Not his best, not by far.

The scene with Baby walking to get coffee is one of my favorite moments in the movie, and I really appreciate Edgar not using CGI for most if not all of his car stunts.

MrKaepora

The trailer was better than the movie, IMO.

There are moments that the movie tries too hard especially at the beginning. This creates some pacing issues.

Last part of the movie was ok but some of the characters seem odd like the Kevin Spacey character or the character of Jon Hamm.

It was an okay movie but doesn't compare with Jhon Wick.

Thought it was quite a bad movie by all standards. All the best action scenes were practically seen in full in the trailer. Characters were too far fetched to even try be believable. Awful hamfisted love story.

If you told me this was the guy who did Hot Fuzz I'd have never believed you. Just feels like an average straight to DVD film at best.

The 'hook' of being cut to a track fell flat fast too due to the awful pacing.

me reading the takes in this thread

giphy.gif

Z3M0G

Saw it the other day finally. It had its moments. I got a kick out of the action synced with the music when they did it. And things got real crazy in the end, kinda cartoony. Movie is MUCH more violent than I expected too... that didn't really fit IMO... the movie was a hard R but I somehow feel it shouldn't have been...

Overall, it's no Scott Pilgrim.

I usually watch his movies many many times over and over... but I don't think I care to see this one again. :(

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
The opening car chase is excellent. It never reaches that high again. John Wick: Chapter 2 is best action movie of the year by far.

Top Bottom