• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baby Driver is the best action film of 2017

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Looks like it's trying too hard.

you're trying too hard

y8mmkxtq

Went to a screening tonight

IMO:

It's not the best action movie of the year (that is Logan, and that doesn't even have that much action)

It's no where near as good as Shaun/Dead and Hot Fuzz. It's on par with Scott Pilgrim (which I do like very much - Baby Driver is a good movie). It's better than The World's End. Haven't seen Fistful.

It doesn't have nearly as much Edgar Wright style as his other movies do, which disappointed me.

Metal-Geo

My God the use of music in this film...! I... I don't think I want my movies any other way now.

Went to a screening tonight

IMO:

It's not the best action movie of the year (that is Logan, and that doesn't even have that much action)

It's no where near as good as Shaun/Dead and Hot Fuzz. It's on par with Scott Pilgrim (which I do like very much - Baby Driver is a good movie). It's better than The World's End. Haven't seen Fistful.

It doesn't have nearly as much Edgar Wright style as his other movies do, which disappointed me.
It does lacks the fun story telling (with cleverly put foreshadowing and such) and the British humor we all know and love from the Cornetto Trilogy.

But the editing and use of music is definitely Edgar Wright cranked to 11.

I'm in dire need to watch the movie again.

Theecliff

Banned
this was fucking great. it's so satisfying to see another edgar wright film that's just playful with filmaking itself.

seeing as there isn't an OT/review thread i'll update with expanded impressions after i've had some sleep. but yeah, go see this. please don't let it bomb :'(

Music is used in a superb way. Love that.

But otherwise I didn't feel like it was anything special. Definitely not the action movie of the year (imo). Much more forgettable than most of Wright's previous films.

But it was good.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
If I hated Hot Fuzz will I like this? Sounds right up my alley but I couldn't stand HF.

TimmiT

If I hated Hot Fuzz will I like this? Sounds right up my alley but I couldn't stand HF.

It's pretty different from Hot Fuzz. Less of a comedy and more a straight up action movie with some comedic bits in there. And of course there's the whole everything being choreographed and edited to music thing.

Skeeter49

Seeing this Tuesday. Excited for this.

Hot Fuzz is one of my favorite movies of all time, and I really like Shaun of the Dead, The World's End, and Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.

Excited after seeing a lot of the reactions to this movie.

lol, just read the one negative review

it's a double article, the second half basically listing the author's French cinemaphile bonafides

it's The New Yorker though, so par for the course I suppose

Theecliff

Banned
Is it a sequel to Baby Geniuses or Baby's Day Out?
no fucking joke, the screening we saw ran 'the boss baby' classification titlecard after the adverts before cutting to the real 'baby driver' one. everyone in the audience shat themselves for a good couple of seconds and as the guy who had sorted the tickets for my group i garnered some pretty intense angry faces from my friends. when the screen cut to the actual titlecard you could hear everyone in the audience audibly sigh in relief. i still can't tell if it was intentional or a genuine fuck up on the cinema's part.

Sec0nd

Don't really agree tbh. Just saw it and it was fun. But nothing really more than that. I'd give it a 7/10 so that's pretty solid. But out of all the Edgar Wright films I've seen this is the one I'll probably never rewatch.

nomis

As a humongous Wright fan, I expected to be overwhelmed and I just wasn’t. I just can’t forgive how threadbare the romance and Baby’s tragic background are. OP excuses it as “simple but effective” which just seems like a generous way of saying “cliched but I forgive it”. I realize I might seem like I’m nitpicking when the editing and action are so inventive, but I wasn’t figuratively pumping my fists by the end and I’m trying to put my finger on why. Ansel did the best he could I guess, but I expected more than just “pretty pepole fall in love, of course” for them to go to the lengths they do for each other. It’s not commentary on a trope if you just engage in it.

Massively stylish and intensely “likeable”, but that’s par for the course for Edgar and with the reception it’s been getting I expected to be surprised

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
This is probably the only Wright film I've thoroughly enjoyed start to finish. I hate Hot Fuzz with a firey passion, thought World's End was terribly boring, and while I did quite like SotD, I didn't love it.

This was way more cute and fun.

Thought it was ok, nothing spectacular tbh. Was expecting to be blown away with all the hype but left thinking I'm actually glad I didn't pay extra to see this in Dolby.

I liked the cast, but outside of the intro the movie didn't do much for me.

Finally watched this in the theater earlier -- thank goodness it's still showing. I know I would sound like a broken record but the music really makes this movie so engaging and charming. Still furious to myself as to why the hell did I watched this in 4D though... Shit got me so dizzy all through out the action/chasing scene as the seat kept on banging from left to right. zzzZ...

88random

Sorry for the bump, but they started showing this only recently in the theaters in my country.

It was fucking amazing, easily the best film of 2017.

eso76

Ansel did the best he could I guess, but I expected more than just “pretty pepole fall in love, of course” for them to go to the lengths they do for each other. It’s not commentary on a trope if you just engage in it.

I don't know, I think the first couple times they meet do a great job establishing the special connection between them in the short time they had.

Finally saw it.
Utterly impressed at how some of the scenes were written,shot,directed, edited.

As a short movies/commercials director and video editor myself I can't begin to understand how certain things (car chases where elements of the scenery enter the screen synched to music beats, especially) were achieved. Unless those were CG

Need to see it again, but I think Hot Fuzz is still his best.
Then again Hot Fuzz is one of the best movies ever.

Jackpot

Banned
I rather disliked it, mainly because I hated the protagonist.

Love story was undercooked to the extent it seemed to make zero sense for the waitress to dive head-first into this world of murder and signing-up for a life of permanently being on the run and looking over your shoulder after just 1 date.

Twice he smashed right into easily avoidable vehicles when the opening shows how amazing he is at dodging obstacles.

Robot Pants

I rather disliked it, mainly because I hated the protagonist.

Love story was undercooked to the extent it seemed to make zero sense for the waitress to dive head-first into this world of murder and signing-up for a life of permanently being on the run and looking over your shoulder after just 1 date.

Twice he smashed right into easily avoidable vehicles when the opening shows how amazing he is at dodging obstacles.

I agree. I hated this movie.
The best action movie this year for me is.... god I don't even know but it's not this

This is probably the only Wright film I've thoroughly enjoyed start to finish. I hate Hot Fuzz with a firey passion, thought World's End was terribly boring, and while I did quite like SotD, I didn't love it.

This was way more cute and fun.

How can anyone hate Hot Fuzz?

It's one of the most finely crafted comedy films.

Top Bottom