• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baby Driver is the best action film of 2017

I guess this hasn't made it to a cinema near you yet.

000dd710-800.jpg

I saw Free Fire last year and really liked the scrappy action and fun characters.

kswiston

This got barely any screens and what few it got evaporated after two weeks. I wanted to see it but had no idea the release would be so fucking limited.

I was one of the 150k in North America who caught it in the 2-3 weeks that it was in distribution. Free Fire is worth watching, but it's nowhere near action film of the year quality. Maybe if it had a better director.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I was hyped about this but the OP makes it sound like a nightmare.

Media

I cannot wait to see this movie. I have a thing about music, and usually bitch at trailer beat work, but God damn. This movie is like an obsessed vidder like me made a movie and ahhhh I can't wait.

I really don't like that WRX in the movie. I think as the star of the movie it's an eye sore.

I don't like its design, front grill, color, everything. It's like this car is the Michael Cera of this movie.

It's not relevant in terms of quality, but you best believe Edgar Wright gives a shit. I hope it does well for him.

I suppose but there are all kinds of great media (movies included) that just don't find an audience. All the creative can do is make a great product.

The rest is out of their hands.

TDLink

I really don't like that WRX in the movie. I think as the star of the movie it's an eye sore.

I don't like its design, front grill, color, everything. It's like this car is the Michael Cera of this movie.

They use a lot of different vehicles in the film. The star of the movie is Baby, no doubt.

Uh oh. Loved the first, have yet to see the sequel. Concerned...
Don't be. At worst, it has the same flaws of Raid 2, in that expanding the universe dulls the pacing that the first had and the motivations and plot isn't as lean and pure

But the action is as slick and awesome as the first, more varied (although nothing is as perfect as the nightclub scene in the first IMO). You get to see Wick in combat in ways never seen in the first film; you see why he's as good as he is. And personally, I really like the universe, so the deeper dive into the world was great

This movie isn't about fulfilling car fetishes. Fast and Furious is that way 😉

They've been screening this like a motherfucker here in Los Angeles.

Because of this, I've seen it multiple times already haha, I really, really like this movie.

Can't wait til its official release so I can finally support it with actual money.

duckroll

Way better. That BMW short doesn't even have the music beats synced with the actions. This film is edited to an inch of its life. You can only fully appreciate it when you go see it in the cinema. Make sure you see it with the best sound in a cinema, preferably Dolby Atmos if that's a thing near you.

Sounds good. I think I'll take my dad to this one. It seems like something he'll enjoy. Atmos it is.

Love Wright, but the trailer to this confused the hell out of me. Came off as Dirty Dancing mixed in with Transporter. Couldn't stretch my suspension of disbelief enough to buy Elgort in the lead which is my biggest hangup as the release date draws closer.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Love Wright, but the trailer to this confused the hell out of me. Came off as Dirty Dancing mixed in with Transporter. Couldn't stretch my suspension of disbelief enough to buy Elgort in the lead which is my biggest hangup as the release date draws closer.

Ok now I'm sold

Zen Aku

I'm hyped as hell. Trying to get all my friends to go see it. Marketing ain't doing it no favor though. But that trailer was fantastic. Probably one of my favorites so far this year.

dani_dc

I bet it doesn't release where I'm at for many more months. Edgar Wright is one of my very favorites, so that sucks.

How did you see it early?
I have no idea how accurate it is, but IMDB has the Japanese release date set for August 19.

The more you're unsure of Elgort, the better the reason you should see it to shatter your expectations. I have never seen a film with him so I was unsure for a while and trailers didn't convince me of him so I saw it just because of Edgar Wright, but I'm now converted.

I thought it'd be like Kingdom Of Heaven or other great movies where the young main character is meh but the rest of the cast kill it and was glad to see that wasn't the case.

aravuus

I've even got a reminder reminding me to go watch it on the day it premieres in Finland (21st of July) lol. Haven't been this excited to see a new movie in a while.

Falchion

It looks really good but I just want to know what kind of monster would fast forward to the action parts in John Wick?

Caught an advance screening of this on Monday. This lives up to every ounce of hype it's gotten. There are moments where it feels like Edgar Wright is just showing off. It's an incredible action film, and I guarantee will go alongside Fury Road as greatest action films of the 2010s.

I also didn't expect to love Elgort as much as I did. His performance is so smooth and charismatic. His career is going places after this role.

Caught an advance screening of this on Monday. This lives up to every ounce of hype it's gotten. There are moments where it feels like Edgar Wright is just showing off. It's an incredible action film, and I guarantee will go alongside Fury Road as greatest action films of the 2010s.

I also didn't expect to love Elgort as much as I did. His performance is so smooth and charismatic. His career is going places after this role.

The trailers have done little for me, but the reviews and feedback like this have me insanely pumped to check this out opening weekend.

aravuus

Damn, high praise. Next 30 days are gonna feel long.

The trailers have done little for me, but the reviews and feedback like this have me insanely pumped to check this out opening weekend.
Honestly, the best marketing for this film would have been releasing the first 10 minutes because you get the first heist and Baby walking downtown like Singing In The Rain. Encapsulates what makes this film stand out against anything else.

Top Bottom