• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baby Driver is the best action film of 2017

Aizo

Banned
I bet it doesn't release where I'm at for many more months. Edgar Wright is one of my very favorites, so that sucks.

How did you see it early?

I do think it's a bit early to start sounding the trumpets as this being the best action movie of the year. There's still a good deal of promising films coming down the pipe. Kingsman, Atomic Blonde, Blade of the Immortal, The Villainess, VIP, and Battleship Island.

Regardless, there's a lot to like and look forward to this year.

I can't wait for Kingsman 2 and Atomic Blonde, but I doubt they'll be on this film's level aside from just the action choreography.

It's more of a musical than something like La La Land or Chicago because at least those films have just dialogue or dramatic scenes with no rhythm to them.

This sentence makes no sense. If you're saying La La Land didn't have a rhythm to it, your brain may be broken. It was EASILY one of the most fluid musicals I've ever seen.

I bet it doesn't release where I'm at for many more months. Edgar Wright is one of my very favorites, so that sucks.

How did you see it early?

Preview screening. Quite a few other GAFers have seen it like that, too. Are you in Japan? If so, don't know if they have those over there.

Messofanego has great tastes when it comes to movies (and action movies). Wouldn't have learned about '71 if not for your posts

I thought this thread seemed familiar
Kingsman - (Second) Best action movie of 2015

Really looking forward to this. For me, it's hand to hand, car chases, shootouts, and then foot chases as my favorite kinds of action, so the fact that the chases and stunts in this are all practical and in sync with the music (like my favorite scene in John Wick) makes this a must-see. And I'm not even an Edgar Wright fan, didn't really enjoy his other movies that much

This sentence makes no sense. If you're saying La La Land didn't have a rhythm to it, your brain may be broken. It was EASILY one of the most fluid musicals I've ever seen.
La La Land has plenty of quite normal talking scenes, not every scene is set to the beat like the musical bits.

Foggy

I can't wait for Kingsman 2 and Atomic Blonde, but I doubt they'll be on this film's level aside from just the action choreography.

I'll have to see how it shakes out since I'm not particularly keen on Wright's approach to filmmaking. It has always come off as too obnoxious. The fact that I'm actually looking forward to this has me pretty excited.

And I'll never fault an action movie for only being good at action. It's part of the beauty of genre filmmaking.

La La Land has plenty of quite normal talking scenes, not every scene is set to the beat like the musical bits.

Yes, but it felt like you were saying they didn't flow into each other naturally, which they did.
Also, I'm not knocking this movie, quite excited to see it.

Oersted

The trailer was a massive letdown. I hope it is a Spy situation, where the trailer does a poor job of selling a good movie.

Shaneus

Way better. That BMW short doesn't even have the music beats synced with the actions. This film is edited to an inch of its life. You can only fully appreciate it when you go see it in the cinema. Make sure you see it with the best sound in a cinema, preferably Dolby Atmos if that's a thing near you.
Oh shit, consider it done.

I'm almost picturing along the lines of a live-action Interstella 5555 (that Daft Punk anime movie) then. With EW directing.

Edit: Opens in Australia 13th July. Thankfully we don't get dicked around re: release date, which is not the norm. Phew.

Edgar GOAT

Can't wait to watch this. Blows my mind that he took those moments you see in some trailers nowadays (fury road, creed etc.) Where the moments are timed to the music and set out to edit an entire film like that.

Crazy ambition.

With all the great stuff coming out this year I have a feeling this will end up being my favorite movie of them all. I love the concept and cast and judging by the reviews he seems to have pulled it off

Yes, but it felt like you were saying they didn't flow into each other naturally, which they did.
Also, I'm not knocking this movie, quite excited to see it.
I was saying that La La Land and other musical films will have many normal scenes. Like this La La Land clip, it's just a simple shot-reverse shot dialogue scene. Music isn't factoring into almost every scene. It's not a criticism of these films, just that Baby Driver is way more stylish and kinetically edited to the point where it's the most musical film you're gonna see.

Jombie

I love Wright and everything he's ever done, but if he weren't attached to this I would have zero interest.

My excitement for this movie is crazy. John Wick 2 was incredibly boring.
What mirror universe do you live in that John Wick 2 is boring? Like I could understand criticizing it for feeling overly long, or that it lags in some areas, or has too much story, not as lean as the first, or too repetitive...but boring?

see5harp

What mirror universe do you live in that John Wick 2 is boring? Like I could understand criticizing it for feeling overly long, or that it lags in some areas, or has too much story, not as lean as the first, or too repetitive...but boring?

It's too long, too many of the gunfights felt similar to the first film, the non action scenes were mostly not good, there were just too many action scenes, and all of the "assassin world building shit" wasn't fresh anymore so it didn't really seem like an actual universe. They never established any of the "bad guys" to be nearly as good as Common from the first film either. You can give me action without story once, but if you're doing a sequel it gotta be a Raid 2 step up in quality.

Yeah this is very close to what the vast majority of the film is like, it's great. Something very close to this exact situation is even essentially remade within the film (Though with less jokes).
That music video also shows up as a cameo on the TV along with Fight Club and others. I'm trying to remember but I think he went again for the Shaun of the Dead joke where all the TV dialogue across the channels are synced.

MutFox

Banned
This is the movie I want to watch the most this summer.
Been waiting a while.
In Edgar Wright I trust.

Have to wait until the 28th though... :/
Will watch opening weekend.

I don't see it doing crazy box office numbers,
but it'll most likely be better than any of the other summer blockbusters.

It's too long, too many of the gunfights felt similar to the first film, the non action scenes were mostly not good, there were just too many action scenes, and all of the "assassin world building shit" wasn't fresh anymore so it didn't really seem like an actual universe. They never established any of the "bad guys" to be nearly as good as Common from the first film either. You can give me action without story once, but if you're doing a sequel it gotta be a Raid 2 step up in quality.
...Common was in John Wick 2

But thanks for the details. Can definitely see where you're coming from. I put JW2 and Raid 2 at about the same level in terms of a step-up. Raid 2 being a tad higher

BumRush

I'm convinced you watched 2 and then 1 after reading this post. Common was the bad guy in 2...

Being less than 2 hours, this is gonna make it easy for me to see it a few more times. If my movie buff friend can go see Star Wars 7 times, I can see this even more ��Will try to get friends and family.

Abraxas

I guess this hasn't made it to a cinema near you yet.

000dd710-800.jpg

KDC720

I'm very excited for it. Edgar Wright is one of my favorite directors and I honestly think he may be among the best working today.

Cast is great and pretty much all of the early reviews have been stellar.

HiiiLife

This and Atomic Blonde need to redeem my theatre experiences considering movies have sucked since Get Out. Really have high expectations for these two, and Kingsmen.

farisr

Shame about the name and marketing (or lack thereof). I dunno, I feel like it's gonna bomb hard, even if the movie is great.
I have hope that it coming off as an action/heist/comedy movie with big-name actors (rather than a bunch of british blokes, or a movie seemingly aimed at videogame nerds), in the current age of trailer reactions and what not (that are overwhelmingly positive) that this will be an Edgar Wright movie that doesn't bomb in its theatrical run.

Top Bottom