• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bad Company 2: Vietnam PC gameplay footage [More Post 62]

Arucardo

BC2 runs fine for me with max settings with no AA, 16x AF and no HBAO in 1680x1050 on an E8400 OC'd to 4GHz and a Radeon 4870. Probably getting a new gpu when the new 69xx series is out next week.

The thing is, alot of people seem to oversell how much effect a cpu has in games right now, just look at game benchmarks between i5's, i7's and some AMD cpus (been years since I've had an AMD cpu so I could be wrong on those). There's not that many games that need a monster cpu right now unless you want to be running everything at 100+ fps.

If your cpu isn't too old just get a proper cooler for it and OC the hell out of it, it's a cheap way to get some extra frames out of your games. Most good air coolers fit on all the current sockets so you can just put it on your next cpu when you upgrade, it's going to be miles ahead of anything you get with a boxed cpu.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Arucardo said:
The thing is, alot of people seem to oversell how much effect a cpu has in games right now, just look at game benchmarks between i5's, i7's and some AMD cpus (been years since I've had an AMD cpu so I could be wrong on those). There's not that many games that need a monster cpu right now unless you want to be running everything at 100+ fps.

We're talking about a particular game here, not all games. It's like saying that GTA4 isn't CPU dependent while clearly it is.

Arucardo

subversus said:
We're talking about a particular game here, not all games. It's like saying that GTA4 isn't CPU dependent while clearly it is.
I'm also saying that BC2 runs just fine on a dual core with high clocks, no need to get a quad core or a really expensive dual core.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I'm still rocking an E6600 and BC2 runs great for me. Its nothing like GTA4 or Arma 2 as far as CPU hogging goes.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Arucardo said:
I'm also saying that BC2 runs just fine on a dual core with high clocks, no need to get a quad core or a really expensive dual core.
it'll still run better on quadcore than on any dual-core but I agree, if you have intel 3.6+ you'll be ok.

1-D_FTW

Mikasangelos said:
damn this just got me really interested in getting BF:BC2 now.

Me too. If Steam puts BC2 @ 75 percent off for the holiday sale, I'll buy it solely to play this expansion. 19.99 is the limit of what I can justify for only 5 maps.

1-D_FTW said:
Me too. If Steam puts BC2 @ 75 percent off for the holiday sale, I'll buy it solely to play this expansion. 19.99 is the limit of what I can justify for only 5 maps.
what is it about Vietnam that excites you that doesn't in BC2?

Pete Rock

I dunno, everything about this other than the flamethrower gizmo seems underwhelming, I'd rather just have had the new maps with all my BC2 gear. Shooting an uzi at a Huey, really? :lol

1-D_FTW

The Faceless Master said:
what is it about Vietnam that excites you that doesn't in BC2?

Fond memories of BF: Vietnam. Didn't like the BC2 beta (though the performance on my old duel core didn't help, upgraded). As far as I'm concerned, the older the setting, the better the BF game. 1942 is my favorite.

Damn, that scorched earth level is pretty different from the usual snow, jungle, desert, urban settings found in FPSs these days! Looks great!

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I gotta say, the tree shadows generate an irritating high-frequency pattern everywhere. I'm sure it's not a problem when playing yourself though.

Pete Rock

And the nippy, rickety tuk-tuks--the least intimidating of the expansion's six vehicles--are also the most irresistible, begging to be loaded with TNT and sent sailing into enemy lines.
boothisman.gif

Shnookums

Arucardo said:

Fine is debatable. I had an e8400 and even with over clocking it wasn't acceptable for me despite all of my other games working to my satisfaction. I upgraded to an i7, my framerate doubled, and BC2 felt like a different game. It's hard to overstate the difference the CPU made for this game. For every other game I play, not so much.

244e1ko.jpg

20t2c7s.jpg

28i89w9.jpg

339t91w.jpg

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
In before TheSeks crying about the flamethrower balance !
The map with the trenches looks crazy.

Shnookums said:
Fine is debatable. I had an e8400 and even with over clocking it wasn't acceptable for me despite all of my other games working to my satisfaction. I upgraded to an i7, my framerate doubled, and BC2 felt like a different game. It's hard to overstate the difference the CPU made for this game. For every other game I play, not so much.

exactly, i have a e6850 and this (and gta 4) are the game I stay away from playing till I upgrade beyond my dual core, all my other games run nicely at 1080 and great framerates, these 2 just make me feel bad about myself, so I avoid launching them :lol

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Nirolak said:
Dammit, I'm going to end up buying this aren't I.
Buy it for PS3. Lots of gaffers playing every night ! (Including myself : Fersis) :lol

XPE

I hate this, it making me question do not buy dlc stance =/

Luckily I see they are calling it an expansion pack (youtube link) allows me a little bit of wiggle room :D

XPE said:
I hate this, it making me question do not buy dlc stance =/

Luckily I see they are calling it an expansion pack (youtube link) allows me a little bit of wiggle room :D

Who cares what they call it or how it's distributed? Just buy whatever you believe is worth your money.

Smash88

Banned
Can't wait for those flamethrower spammers just going berserk with it flailing it around like they are about to get butt-raped by a ninja. :lol

I would hope after fivehundred billion years they've figured out how to not make noob tubes, but that blooper didn't even make the guy explode himself to death with splash damage when he shot a grenade through the feet of that enemy. Hope that was a lucky/skill shot and not the norm for close quarters encounters.

Kibbles

I got my Bad Company 2 in the mail today. Now all I need is XBLGold. Muahahaha.

DICE always makes awesome gameplay videos. The Battlefield Moments videos got me so hyped up to launch.

Pennybags

VibratingDonkey said:
I would hope after fivehundred billion years they've figured out how to not make noob tubes, but that blooper didn't even make the guy explode himself to death with splash damage when he shot a grenade through the feet of that enemy. Hope that was a lucky/skill shot and not the norm for close quarters encounters.

That looked like a direct-impact shot. Remember that scene from Terminator 2?

Ouch.
:lol

VibratingDonkey said:

Grenades have to travel a certain distance to activate. But if they are a direct hit, it's a one-shot kill. Really not that big of a deal in BC2, anyway.

Top Bottom