• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ban-Age: Unwritten rules of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanboi

Banned
Kimosabae said:
GAF is looking quite draconian, here. Harmless GIFs banned because of their popularity? Really? I can understand hackneyed memes becoming incredibly irritating to look at if you're more than 12, but it harms the subjective experience of many posters (I love seeing the airplane GIF, personally. Even though it's often overused, it was often used appropriately).

How much do mods really want to impose their own standards, here? Seems like a slippery slope to me. Soon, GIFs will be banned all together - and we all know this wouldn't be GAF without the GIFs. Nothing's perfect, let's not get caught up in trying to make GAF represent some unachievable ideal? Or maybe I'm missing something...

Hopefully, criticizing moderator decisions isn't a ban-able offense either.

If you see it in the OP, you are banned :)

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Vitten said:
The worst one is the ban for joking about women drivers.

I mean WTF ?? That's just beyond ridiculous.. If you can't even take a joke about something as innocent as that then what the hell are you doing on a message board ?

21.jpg

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
fanboi could you update the OP with:
-Dont post magazine scans
-Dont admit to have several GAF accounts (Also known as alt account)

Dabanton

Kimosabae said:
GAF is looking quite draconian, here. Harmless GIFs banned because of their popularity? Really? I can understand hackneyed memes becoming incredibly irritating to look at if you're more than 12, but it harms the subjective experience of many posters (I love seeing the airplane GIF, personally. Even though it's often overused, it was often used appropriately).

How much do mods really want to impose their own standards, here? Seems like a slippery slope to me. Soon, GIFs will be banned all together - and we all know this wouldn't be GAF without the GIFs. Nothing's perfect, let's not get caught up in trying to make GAF represent some unachievable ideal? Or maybe I'm missing something...

Hopefully, criticizing moderator decisions isn't a ban-able offense either.

It's an overuse thing for months on here the third or second reply in a would always be that stupid picture,first few times it's funny but posters with no originality use it as a easy way to raise a laugh. Same with that FHUTA garbage, i've seen threads where the first 10 replies are just people saying that.

I mean if you've already seen someone post it why would you copy them? :lol

fanboi

Banned
Fersis said:
fanboi could you update the OP with:
-Dont post magazine scans
-Dont admit to have several GAF accounts (Also known as alt account)

Done.

EDIT: Changed the text to dont have alt accounts...

zon

DigitalDevil said:
That port begging stuff is no joke. I've seen people get banned for posts that in my opinion were not deserving of a ban. For example, in a PSP thread, "Man this game looks awesome I wonder if there's any chance of it coming to PSN"... banned. I mean, they weren't dogging the fact that the game was on PSP, just admiring it and wondering aloud at the possibility of it coming out on other systems. And ... banned? Seriously?

It has to do with console gamers shitting up every pc thread in the past with "PORT LOLZ". The mods got sick of it.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
don't mock people who do not get a joke.
you might be inadvertently mocking a mod who didn't get it either.

Vitten said:
The worst one is the ban for joking about women drivers.

I mean WTF ?? That's just beyond ridiculous.. If you can't even take a joke about something as innocent as that then what the hell are you doing on a message board ?

I can't say I disagree with this. But you need to understand the mod enforcing those bannings might be a woman, so it's kind of difficult to judge how a woman moderator would perceive those kinds of comments, seeing as how she has the power to do something about it. *shrug*

And also, how can you really differentiate the "gay" ban from the "women bashing" ban? They are both subjective decisions based on the feelings and thoughts of the one wielding the ban hammer.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
don't mock juniors for being juniors.

I've seen a couple of people getting banned for this because they don't do it as a joke, they're normally just obnoxious.

Not banned but I wish it was, when everyone in a thread posts the same thing for the first 50 posts.

Kimosabae

Banned
Dabanton said:
It's an overuse thing for months on here the third or second reply in a would always be that stupid picture,first few times it's funny but posters with no originality use it as a easy way to raise a laugh. Same with that FHUTA garbage, i've seen threads where the first 10 replies are just people saying that.

I mean if you've already seen someone post it why would you copy them? :lol

If the consciousness of the community shifts towards intolerance regarding a hackneyed meme, the consequential outrage would be effective enough in eventually stamping out its use. I don't see any need for arbitration by moderators there. There's no mod rules against signing posts, because the moral outrage it engenders is abrasive enough to deter most people from doing it.

The subordinate community should be allowed to evolve more organically. When you have a small group of individuals deciding how people's subjective experiences should evolve on a forum - something's wrong. Power has become too centralized.

kay

So it's okay to say anything as long as it's a joke? It's pretty hard to judge if something is a joke on a message board sometimes. I don't know or even care really, but if something gets out of hand shouldn't it be dealt with?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
kay said:
So it's okay to say anything as long as it's a joke? It's pretty hard to judge if something is a joke on a message board sometimes. I don't know or even care really, but if something gets out of hand shouldn't it be dealt with?

I'd say 90% you can tell if someone is joking by the tone of the thread or the post they're replying to.

If all else fails you can just dig into their post history. That's always funny to see when someone gets called out.

Cheech

kay said:

The problem with jokes is they tend to be told here without a lot of context. There are obviously a ton of people here who follow 4chan and SA, and some of the stuff there just should not leave the confines of their respective sites.

Woodsy

Banned
Making fun of protected political figures = ban

Making fun of often mocked political figures = laughs all around

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
fanboi said:
Buuuut once permed you are never ever let in again?

I might be wrong.

I was perma-juniored before. I got it unlocked on a tag-fishing thread when I asked them to a year later.

fanboi

Banned
Isn't it bannable if you post an epic story ex you skipped the bar tab in a maffia owned thai bar, and never ever return to the thread?

I was perma-juniored before. I got it unlocked on a tag-fishing thread when I asked them to a year later.

The more you know!

EDIT: OH, perma juniored! not the same!

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
don't post the clown fucking the girl.gif

and certainly don't asked to be PMed the context of it.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Woodsy said:

Being a supreme fucktard moron however is totally not bannable. Lucky you!

Cheech

fanboi said:
Isn't it bannable if you post an epic story ex you skipped the bar tab in a maffia owned thai bar, and never ever return to the thread?

The more you know!

That thread was disappointing. Even if he'd just made something up I wouldn't think about it.

However, there was a Maxim story around that time that had a very similar story in it, so I kind of wondered at the time if the whole thing was "inspired".

Dead Man

Woodsy said:

Making inflammatory threads based on a flawed understanding of the source = laughs all round.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
GoutPatrol said:

but permabanned and permajuniored are not the same thing... can you make threads now?

Woodsy said:

did you never post again in that thread where you accused Obama of handing out fisting how-to kits?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I don't know if anyone has been banned for this but you soccer guys should not go into our beloved NFL threads talking all that "Hand-Egg" garbage.

I thought it was pretty funny that Madden-GAF would advise certain people what topics to stay out of so we could have everyone around to schedule games. :lol (Woman driver topic being the most recent one I think)

Calcaneus

Wellington said:
I don't know if anyone has been banned for this but you soccer guys should not go into our beloved NFL threads talking all that "Hand-Egg" garbage.

I thought it was pretty funny that Madden-GAF would advise certain people what topics to stay out of so we could have everyone around to schedule games. :lol (Woman driver topic being the most recent one I think)
Really :lol . That's pretty awesome.

But yeah, GAF has some crazy rules, but overall its better than most forums. There has to be structure, unless you have an extremely well-adjusted close-knit community. GAF is a little too big for that, and threads would go nowhere if all memes were allowed to be spammed and insanely dumb statements weren't frowned upon in some way.

MMaRsu

Banned
Wellington said:

Well it is hand egg :p.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Wellington said:

Yeah, they've been banned. :p

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Ok... so a mod can ban another mod?
·___·

Cheech

Fersis said:
Ok... so a mod can ban another mod?
·___·

I like to think they have a Superman II style tribunal, where somebody reads the charges, and then the other mods all say "GUILTY" in this weird, ethereal manner. Then, the guilty mod is trapped in a piece of glass and shot up into space.

Darklord

Banned
Holy shit @ the OP. So many things will get you banned.:lol Adblocker? Really? I've seen people admit to that and be fine.

Thing I find the most annoying on GAF is the excessive use of puns in response to news stories in the Off-Topic section.

I guess a lot of people might find this funny, but I find myself reading the first two or three and then having to practically skip to the second page of replies before anyone actually says anything interesting.

Am I the only one here who finds this annoying? I have to imagine that if it continues to be such an epidemic, eventually it'll end up on the ban list.

Oh, and the obiligatory 'In before' is kind of tired as well, IMHO.

Don't presume your little niche thread is safe just because no mods ever enter, and certainly then don't call a mod on their lack of activity in said thread.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
DOO13ER said:
Don't troll other gaming platforms.
Unless you're a PC gamer

Should be in OP.

Whoompthereitis said:
Thing I find the most annoying on GAF is the excessive use of puns in response to news stories in the Off-Topic section.

I guess a lot of people might find this funny, but I find myself reading the first two or three and then having to practically skip to the second page of replies before anyone actually says anything interesting.

Am I the only one here who finds this annoying? I have to imagine that if it continues to be such an epidemic, eventually it'll end up on the ban list.

It's hit and miss with those threads... probably getting played out by now (last one was awful) and that's what gets stuff banned. It's not draconian mods, it's people not knowing when something isn't funny anymore.

My only ban was for making fun of someone's paranoia of a nuclear war. Got banned for 2 days, while I was at my parents house over the holidays. That was fun.

Whoompthereitis said:

What else are you supposed to do in half of News Age? Do you really want to discuss the intricacies of a kid blowing their head open because they chewed a piece of gum coated with a low grade explosive, or make jokes about how his jaw dropped to the floor?

Zilch

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
Because retard isn't thought of as synonymous to one that suffers from Down Syndrome, but instead as an equal to the word "Stupid" "Dumb", but just more powerful.

"Gay" is also synonymous with "stupid" and "dumb". Have you ever been to high school?

I know a lot of people who work with the mentally disabled. If you tried this "logic" on them they'd rip your head off.

You're an ignorant jackass.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
fanboi said:
In the op it goes!

If you're putting everything people get banned for in the OP, it could get quite large. :D

I'd sum up most of the rules something like this:

"Don't be a dickwad. If you're a dickwad, you might get banned. Yes, I know some other people were dickwads and didn't get banned. Sucks to be you."

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
PC Gamers seem to get some kind of bye that bothers me.

I got banned for calling out some guy for gloating about some superior PC nonsense, and essentially eluded to the fact that tons of people pirate on the PC and got banned. :lol

I really need to stay away from the gaming side when it comes to console war nonsense and just stick to discussing the games themselves.

...I usually get banned maybe 2-3 times a year for something borderline...it just happens. I usually always send an e-mail to the mod that I think banned me with a "plead my case" and every now and then I get a response back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom